Menu

Do you know this word without looking it up

poppy

379 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what vámonos means?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe?

One of my favorite lines from a movie is in Signs where Joaquin Phoenix is watching the news footage of one of the aliens at a children's birthday party in Mexico and he keeps shooing the children in the video out of the way and saying "Vamanos, children!"  I say that to my kids all the time when they get underfoot.

• Like 1

We missed the whole Dora thing, but, my dad taught high school Spanish and would always hurry us along by saying vamanos adelante. 

Pretty sure it was the only Spanish spoken outside of a classroom in our heavily Hungarian / Polish / German -American hometown.  

I have absolutely no idea how I knew, but I had the general idea of the meaning.

I don't live near many Spanish speaking people, I have never seen a single episode of Dora, and I didn't take Spanish in school.

As I said, I didn't get the exact meaning. I thought it meant to "go quickly." So...sort of close, but not quite.

Edited by Garga

Yes, I married someone from Corpus Christi who says this on a fairly regular basis, despite the fact that she's managed to be pretty clueless about Spanish in general, even though she had Spanish lessons in elementary school for I think a couple of years (like, I had to explain to her which city in Texas is named after the color yellow :rolleyes:).

Like someone mentioned upthread, some words are just used so often they're common knowledge. And some words turn into loan words and are actually absorbed into the language (think 'pronto', which you can find in both Dutch and English dictionaries even though it's obviously not originally a Dutch or English word, though in the Dutch dictionary it seems to claim it's from Italian, whereas the English dictionary seems to claim it's from Spanish (and, of course, originally from the Latin 'promptus')). Not that vamonos is at that point (yet).

Speedy Gonzalas(sp) maybe from the 70's I was born in '67 and remember it from a cartoon from my childhood.

Yes, but I spent my formative years on an Army base.

Also Speedy Gonzales said it, I think.

I don't remember Speedy saying "Vamonos".  I remember him saying, "Andale!  Andale!  Arriba!  Arriba!"

My memory is far from perfect, though.

• Like 1