Menu

Not liking life right now

Janeway

Realizing you have a problem is your first step. 

Figure out a way to move north is your next step.

I am the same way. I lived in Florida for a year and HATED it. Now I live in New Jersey and for the most part I am happy. It gets hot here but it also gets freezing cold so it balances out. 

So where do you want to move?

• Like 5

I don't like the heat either (and the mosquitoes...and the sun because I burn) so I am always inside.  Between summer and winter, I figure I'm inside at least half of the year.  How can that be good for you?  Sometimes I think we should have just stayed in San Diego. 

• Like 1

I hate the heat and humidity too.  We moved from Oregon (mild weather, zero humidity in summer) to the Philadelphia area (hot summers, super humid).  Nine years on and none of us are used to it.   But, we are here. 

Can you move?  Are you planning to move?  We figure we are pretty stuck here for now, for a variety of reasons.  So, we try to make the best of it... but I am already looking forward to fall!

my neice is moving to texas.  her dh has been there since may.  she's delaying, and will be going the end of the month.  it was her way of avoiding a texas summer.  she's lived there before.

dd in texas hasn't said anything - but she used to always be cold, so maybe she likes the heat.  but hey . . a/c.  and one of her closest friends is now also moving down there.

• Like 1

Wait you mean summers are not always HOT & HUMID? :ohmy:     

I have lived here all my life and I am outside all the time.  This year I just can't seem to handle the heat & humidity.  Of course in 6 months I will be complaining about the cold. 

Oh yeah and I am grumpy too

Edited by Baseball mom

Realizing you have a problem is your first step.

Figure out a way to move north is your next step.

I am the same way. I lived in Florida for a year and HATED it. Now I live in New Jersey and for the most part I am happy. It gets hot here but it also gets freezing cold so it balances out.

So where do you want to move?

I lived in Florida for 13 years and HATED it. I just can't deal with the heat. It's awful. We still get heat in the summer in the midwest, but it is short-lived, thankfully.

I am vacationing in Seattle right now. The weather is so wonderful. I am wearing a light sweater and pants today. It's blissful.

I hear you.

I have been in TX for 3 years and noticed summer is when I'm most depressed. It's just stupid hot. I'm not even going to things like the splash pad for the kids because even with shade and water spraying around, the heat is just so aggressive and merciless.

Summer is the season to endure and suffer through around here. Come fall I will be willing to spend any amount of time outdoors.

I'm grumpy and miserable with the heat too, and we ARE way up north! It's been hot since early July and I'm just so over it. It's too hot to even want to go the beach. Usually we get a heat wave for a week or two and then it goes back to tolerable temperatures, but not this year. Granted you southerners would think I'm a super wimp, and alas it's true. I'm just not cut out for endless heat.

(In full disclosure today is better, but it's supposed to get blistering again. I miss my fleece!)

• Like 1

I don't like the heat either (and the mosquitoes...and the sun because I burn) so I am always inside. Between summer and winter, I figure I'm inside at least half of the year. How can that be good for you? Sometimes I think we should have just stayed in San Diego.

I hide inside in San Diego in summer and fall, so spend 1/2 my life indoors here. It's too hot and I burn easily.

I go outside more up north - year round.

• Like 1

Every year I look at how I could rent a place in Alaska or somewhere cool for the months of July and August. I hate the heat!

you could come to the PNW - on the west side of the cascades.  today - they're forecasting 71. (68%humidity). it's supposed to hit 85 on Saturday .. .

• Like 2

Yes, it is hot. Our outdoor temp read 104 just a few minutes ago. And the air conditioner went out yesterday, so it's hot inside also. But it should be fixed tomorrow or maybe the next day. Ice water is my friend today. We can't go anywhere because I have too much to do to get ready to leave on vacation.

This is my first Texas summer and man it is HOT. I take a little comfort in seeing the temps back where we used to live in IL have been just as hot and I live on the gulf so at least we have a breeze lol. One of my friends said she gets super depressed here in the summers. 

I cannot stay locked inside or I'll go nuts, so I get out early in the morning and right before dark. It helps a ton that I live on the gulf and go to the beach though. If I wasnt near the water I would be dying. 

you could come to the PNW - on the west side of the cascades.  today - they're forecasting 71. (68%humidity). it's supposed to hit 85 on Saturday .. .

You....you!  :cursing:   :laugh:

I'm thankful for clouds. They keep the sun from trying to kill me. Summer seasonal depression--it's a thing, y'all.

• Like 4

Yep, I've had enough of summer, too!  I keep trying to get my family to Oregon, but I'm not making much progress.  Ds is starting college in Atlanta next week, so we're here for four more years.

I'm never one to correct someone's typos or grammar, but I laughed out loud when I saw a Texan was Aggie-tated (that's how I read it!)  

• Like 1

I'm sorry.   It must be brutal in TX and other southern states.  We live in NC (border to SC just minutes away) and it's been hot here this summer.

Today is so incredibly sultry and humid.   I came home from store and dd jokingly said, "So, you wanna take a 3 mile walk?"  

Drink water, run errands in morning when not so hot.  Do something fun with family and/or friends in the a.m., if you can.

Stay inside, close all your windows and watch a movie.

Take a cold bath. 

You know, they have those fabric bands that you wet and put in refrigerator.  You wear around head, neck, etc. to stay cooler for a couple of hours.   DH bought DD and I each one.  

We've lived in TX for 25+ years now. I really don't like the summers. We just got back from a vacation to a cool forested location (think highs of mid 70s vs. 100s)

But, I realized there are many, many things I do appreciate about Texas.

Space - we have so much space. The location we visited - small houses (we have convenience stores with larger restrooms), very small lots, very skinny city streets (hard to get two full size cars abreast), little parking (I so appreciate our plenty of parking and parking garages here - no need to parallel park unless you *want* to do so, very short walk to anywhere). 

It is cheap to live here. Seriously, a $ restaurant there was way more than we pay here. And gas - ouch - add $1/gallon (at least) to our prices (and I think TX is high compared to some neighboring states).

Where are all the pickup trucks and full sized SUVs? People drive tiny cars/SUVs other places. (Not that I missed any of this, but it is different).

I've lived many different places. There is good and bad about each and every place. Try to concentrate on the good and that helps to build contentment.

Yes, I'm ready for October too!

It is 79dF here and I am in the air-conditioned lobby of the music and arts center surfing the web while my older is at Music Composition class.  We get academics done on hot days.  I just complained last night to my hubby and kids about our electric bill because it hit $48 two months in a roll.

I grew up in the SE US with no air conditioning. I still live there. Ive told DH several times that I think the reason we are so uncomfortable in the heat now is that our bodies aren't used to it. He did grow up with a /c (but only a window unit, as he likes to say! SMH because there was no escape to any coolness in my house, until the attic fan came on in the evening. ) My parents didn't get a/c until after I was married, so it's not like it was just when I was a small child. I believe my body was used to hot and humid, so it didn't rebel at anything over 75 and low humidity like it does now. Even my school had no a/c till 4th grade, and the cars didn't till I was a teenager. That doesn't change the fact that I love my a c now, but I do think we could cope with the heat better if we were constantly exposed to it. When I was a young teenager we drove from the east coast to the west and back. I remember distinctly getting into the car in Texas, where it was dry and hot, and not getting out for several hours until we were in Louisiana, where it was humid and hot. I still can see that concrete parking lot and myself gasping for air as I became reacclimated. Perhaps my body goes through that every time I go into and out of the house now. I also don't ever really remember complaining about it being too hot, or hearing about people dying of heat exhaustion. Now we weren't running around a ball field at 2 pm in July, but we also didn't sit inside by the AC till September, either.

• Like 1

you could come to the PNW - on the west side of the cascades. today - they're forecasting 71. (68%humidity). it's supposed to hit 85 on Saturday .. .

That's like here, except just today has relief (low 70s). Otherwise it's been in the 80s and I'm just miserable. We don't normally have such long stretches of heat. Plus, it's dry--won't rain (really unusual) AND humid. The worst of all worlds summer. Blech.

Eh, my great-grandmother told stories about locking all of the menfolk out of the house so that they could strip down to their knickers and camisoles while they canned fruit and veggies for winter, and my great-grandfather told about the "dog days of summer", pouring buckets of water on himself in the middle of the night and then laying down on a blanket while sleeping outside, and essentially living and swimming at the fishing hole.

I didn't have ac for much of my growing up (and I love it now!), but I don't think ye olden days were any happier about six months of 100+ weather any more than we are.  It was a bit cooler then (thank you global warming), but it was still hot enough in the summer and cold enough in the winter to really appreciate moderate weather. 

At least winter in TX is nice. When we lived in the Midwest we melted in the summer and froze in the winter.  

• Like 1

Eh, my great-grandmother told stories about locking all of the menfolk out of the house so that they could strip down to their knickers and camisoles while they canned fruit and veggies for winter, and my great-grandfather told about the "dog days of summer", pouring buckets of water on himself in the middle of the night and then laying down on a blanket while sleeping outside, and essentially living and swimming at the fishing hole.

I didn't have ac for much of my growing up (and I love it now!), but I don't think ye olden days were any happier about six months of 100+ weather any more than we are. It was a bit cooler then (thank you global warming), but it was still hot enough in the summer and cold enough in the winter to really appreciate moderate weather.

At least winter in TX is nice. When we lived in the Midwest we melted in the summer and froze in the winter.

Although we lived in a modern house, my parents chose to heat with wood and to not use the electric heat unless it was very cold. We piled on my father's army blankets. When we went to my grandmothers house, we stayed in the rooms with heat and stayed out of the rest of them. She had basically no insulation and definitely no central heat. We went to the creek on hot days, or just sat around doing as little as possible, on the porch. I do have a certain amount of nostalgia for those days, because no one could retreat. You had to interact with others because everyone was where it was coolest. I lived in the SE USA so I'm talking about extreme heat but not extreme cold.

That's like here, except just today has relief (low 70s). Otherwise it's been in the 80s and I'm just miserable. We don't normally have such long stretches of heat. Plus, it's dry--won't rain (really unusual) AND humid. The worst of all worlds summer. Blech.

Perspective, y'all! 80s would be heavenly here! :D

• Like 4

Oh, but how to eat and pay for blissfully cool air.   Thank goodness that my instant pot can make beans while my rice cooker makes rice.  

Tip: if they warm up the room at all, plug in those appliances outside or in the garage so that you don't heat up your house and counteract the A/C by cooking. And pat yourself on the back, because small appliances like that are more efficient than your oven when it's hot!

I spent 50 years living in Texas, with only a couple of years in Louisiana which is not much better weather wise.

I've been in Northern California for almost a month now. It is 74 and sunny with a breeze right now. I really never realized how depressing and oppressive the heat was.

I think I'll just plan on spending the next 50 years here.

• Like 1

I hate Texas.  There, I said it.

There is space, but it's only because the ranches take up so much room.  The cost of living in a food/social desert is just as high as a moderate city on the east coast.  It's an hour+ to the next city with nothing but a few houses & post offices in between. There are no sidewalks, no care for people's health. Even public transportation sucks.  Like anyone is going to wait at a decrepit looking warped bench in 104 degree heat that has no indication when, or if, a bus will even come by.  And everything tries to kill you: the plants, the animals, the drivers...

Right now the only thing getting me through August is knowing it'll cool down....ish.....in about a month.  And that I get to leave in less than a year.

No words of wisdom here, but I feel your pain.

• Like 2

It is 79dF here and I am in the air-conditioned lobby of the music and arts center surfing the web while my older is at Music Composition class. We get academics done on hot days. I just complained last night to my hubby and kids about our electric bill because it hit $48 two months in a roll.

Geebus!! $48. Only $48.00. Like, Forty-eight, not Four Hundred eighty?

Where do you live? Is that for a house? Or Studio apartment?

• Like 2

I grew up in the SE US with no air conditioning. I still live there. Ive told DH several times that I think the reason we are so uncomfortable in the heat now is that our bodies aren't used to it. He did grow up with a /c (but only a window unit, as he likes to say! SMH because there was no escape to any coolness in my house, until the attic fan came on in the evening. ) My parents didn't get a/c until after I was married, so it's not like it was just when I was a small child. I believe my body was used to hot and humid, so it didn't rebel at anything over 75 and low humidity like it does now. Even my school had no a/c till 4th grade, and the cars didn't till I was a teenager. That doesn't change the fact that I love my a c now, but I do think we could cope with the heat better if we were constantly exposed to it. When I was a young teenager we drove from the east coast to the west and back. I remember distinctly getting into the car in Texas, where it was dry and hot, and not getting out for several hours until we were in Louisiana, where it was humid and hot. I still can see that concrete parking lot and myself gasping for air as I became reacclimated. Perhaps my body goes through that every time I go into and out of the house now. I also don't ever really remember complaining about it being too hot, or hearing about people dying of heat exhaustion. Now we weren't running around a ball field at 2 pm in July, but we also didn't sit inside by the AC till September, either.

:iagree:

I've actually lived in different extremes. I've lived in Canada prairie in winter (dry cold), Yuma AZ in summer (dry heat), and coastal NC - humid everything.

I love winter in Canada - as long as I'm there through the fall. Traveling up there just for Christmas or something from a warmer locale - it's much harder to handle the temps.

Same goes for visiting AZ in the summer time. It's better if you're there as it heats up.

Humidity though? Sucks always. Hot, cold, mild, whatever. Humidity just sucks. Feeling damp and sticky is awful, no matter the temp. It makes hot feel hotter and cold feel colder. I could not acclimate, no matter what. I was miserable in NC.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

I hate Texas.  There, I said it.

There is space, but it's only because the ranches take up so much room.  The cost of living in a food/social desert is just as high as a moderate city on the east coast.  It's an hour+ to the next city with nothing but a few houses & post offices in between. There are no sidewalks, no care for people's health. Even public transportation sucks.  Like anyone is going to wait at a decrepit looking warped bench in 104 degree heat that has no indication when, or if, a bus will even come by.  And everything tries to kill you: the plants, the animals, the drivers...

Right now the only thing getting me through August is knowing it'll cool down....ish.....in about a month.  And that I get to leave in less than a year.

No words of wisdom here, but I feel your pain.

Where are you headed?

I love Texas. The hot weather...not so much. I lived in California and the weather was perfect..every single day. You would think that would be tiring. Not really!

I love the people in Texas though. California , or at least where I lived lacked any kind of diversity except age. This time of year in Texas is like the midwest in the winter. Not the best time to spend outside. We tend to spend most of our time outdoors in the evening and in water. Good time of year to watch all of the Alaska winter "reality" shows. Ice cream is not optional.

Where are you headed?

Back to the ocean.  I've developed massive breathing problems here due to the wind/dust/humidity combo, so we searched out a place that would allow me to get off of inhalers and do things like run and bike again.  Found a more temperate climate (about 80 in the summer) and we'll be heading out after the oldest graduates from the public school.  I'm hoping with more plants around I won't struggle so hard.  Or at the very least, I'll still struggle, but be able to go outside and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 1

I love Texas. I do hide indoors for most of July/August, but I really prefer Texas weather to anywhere else I've lived. Missouri had very little going for it. Washington was beautiful, and the summers were mild. But it was always wet. You here about how it always rains, but it doesn't. It's more like this depressing mist that never ends. I missed storms when I lived there. I do wish it would snow here once in a while though.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It absolutely is. I always felt like the heat and humidity drained every bit of energy from my body, in addition to killing my soul.

Every year I dink with the idea of just going and requesting medication to start on June first so that I won't be so down by July, but then I always think I can make it through three months, surely! 

This year I put up light blocking curtains just about everywhere, but especially in the bedroom. It's helped a lot. I'm not great, because I do still have to drive in it, and get out in it, but just having my little oasis of dark and cool to go hide in and sleep in has at least helped somewhat.

ETA: One of these summers I really need to try antidepressants. I can't remember ever liking any part of summer in my entire life.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Love hearing this. We are headed up to the PNW. . . as soon as the house sells. Bleh. Texas, I gave you 16 + years. I won't be sad to leave ya! :driving:

• Like 1

Come see me! We've had quite hot weather, but the past couple days have been cool and dry; we turned off the AC and have the windows open all night. The air smells so good. We've also got several days of rain! forecast. Finally! Too bad it coincides with Perseides meteor .

life in the PNW-  it's a rule.  if there is something interesting to see in the night sky - it will be overcast. every. single. time.  we went to eastern washington last year to watch them - the smoke from the forest fires was too thick.

This is my first Texas summer and man it is HOT. I take a little comfort in seeing the temps back where we used to live in IL have been just as hot and I live on the gulf so at least we have a breeze lol. One of my friends said she gets super depressed here in the summers. 

I cannot stay locked inside or I'll go nuts, so I get out early in the morning and right before dark. It helps a ton that I live on the gulf and go to the beach though. If I wasnt near the water I would be dying. 

I have an acquaintance who moved here last year from nevada.    last summer was hotter than normal - but oh, so, very, very dry.  I don't remember one that dry - ever. (which is weird because the rest of the year was way ahead for rain totals).  it was so dry - our lawn died (as opposed to turning brown and going dormant) and when the rains started it turned to black mush.  she thought the weather was great and didn't understand why people were complaining - then she was telling me her landlord never watered . . . I could see him outside at that very moment - watering.  she never noticed.   this summer is a bit more typical - and she's having a hard time and keeps asking when the hot temps are going to arrive. honey - our hottest day is probably already past.

I think there is something to this  - dsil is from AZ, but has a harder time with heat than dd (who used to struggle with cold, until I taught her how to dress for it.)

I recall my first experience with hot and humid. I was 13, and my first day in kansas city. 100 degrees and 100% humidity.  i could see it in the air, which I thought was really weird.  I don't remember being bothered by it like I would be now. (last time I was there, I just remember how getting out of the car felt like getting into an oven.)  I do think there is an age where kids, generally, just aren't as bothered by temps as adults.