Menu

what % of income do you spend on shoes?

SparklyUnicorn

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me that would probably be about a tenth of a percent.  Not because I'm loaded though.

Mostly this is a joke.

I broke down and bought a pair of shoes today because my other pair is starting to shred.  I cannot believe how expensive some shoes are.  Those Sperry shoes?  $100?!  Oh pulease...are they worth it?  Can't be.  They don't look all that special.

• Like 7

That one doesn't register here.  We only buy shoes when they are needs and now that my boys are grown, I don't think we buy shoes or boots every year.  We certainly don't buy them monthly.

It can probably be chalked up to having Blue Devils as a high school mascot making my brain poorly wired forever.

Or more likely, it can go in the category that's due to my looking at travel brochures prior to birth instead of being in the classes teaching how humans are supposed to be.

• Like 3

For the last year. zero.  But I need to buy some shoes online since I can't find locally.  BUt figuring this out would make my head hurt.  DH's shoes cost a lot.  DD's shoes don't coast a lot but she buys many pairs.  My shoes are middling range but I hardly ever buy.

• Like 1

It can probably be chalked up to having Blue Devils as a high school mascot making my brain poorly wired forever.

Or more likely, it can go in the category that's due to my looking at travel brochures prior to birth instead of being in the classes teaching how humans are supposed to be.

Wow, just wow...how did you even manage to raise kids and run a home with circumstances like that? (snark)   :lol:

• Like 3

Negligible.

I do buy quality shoes because they last a lot longer than cheap ones, fit better, and I have a foot condition that makes me very selective.

I do not spend much money on clothes because for the most part, more expensive clothes are not worth it - but I absolutely found that $100 shoes are of better quality, more comfortable, and last much longer than $20 shoes from Payless. I shop online and use sales as much as possible.

I guess, between Keen sandals, hiking shoes, dress shoes for work, I buy maybe one pair per year or every two years?

DH wears Teva sandals only which have to be replaced every 3-4 years. His dress shoes easily last a decade or longer.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I'm poor but I buy good shoes. My running shoes go on sale every once in a while for $135. We allocate part of our tax return for shoes, dental work, electronics and school supplies. I currently have 4 pairs of shoes.

Brooks Glycerin, $135 for running and general going out

ASICS GEL 180, $75 for indoor workouts

Keen Burn Baby, $65 for church and general sexiness

PR Soles, $25 for recovery and lazy days

I'm an advocate for good shoes, good food and reliable cars. Everything else can be cheap.

Eta: That's what I paid, not necessarily what you would walk into a store and expect to pay.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

I do buy more expensive shoes for myself -- My walking shoes are mostly nikes ($60ish a pair - a new pair maybe every year?), my sandals are keens $75 (but I only buy those every couple of years), dress shoes are usually clarks ($50-75 bought as needed for special occasions, I think the last time I bought a pair was for DS's graduation in 2013) and occasionally fashion shoes -- maybe one-to-pairs per year --  I bought some cute slides before we went on a cruise last year, some fringey sandals this spring... and some riding boots the year before last. Oh and I have hiking boots. Same pair for the last several years...

DH is very picky and buys higher end shoes but he basically has one pair of dress shoes and one pair of hiking boots.

DSes each have one-two pairs of tennis shoes (DS15 has Converse he wears most of the time but nikes for more active activites, DS11 has one pair of keens  low top hikers that he wears for everything), hiking boots ($$$), and some sort of dress shoes (Muppet Boy's are a hand me down from Oldest and Sherlock's are brown boots we got on clearance for $15)... Maybe sandals in the summer (they go to Florida most summers but Muppet Boy despises sandals). Oh and wrestling shoes for youngest.

• Like 1

That one doesn't register here.  We only buy shoes when they are needs and now that my boys are grown, I don't think we buy shoes or boots every year.  We certainly don't buy them monthly.

My  high school AND university had Blue Devils. 

• Like 1

I do buy more expensive shoes for myself -- My walking shoes are mostly nikes ($60ish a pair - a new pair maybe every year?), my sandals are keens $75 (but I only buy those every couple of years), dress shoes are usually clarks ($50-75 bought as needed for special occasions, I think the last time I bought a pair was for DS's graduation in 2013) and occasionally fashion shoes -- maybe one-to-pairs per year --  I bought some cute slides before we went on a cruise last year, some fringey sandals this spring... and some riding boots the year before last. Oh and I have hiking boots. Same pair for the last several years...

DH is very picky and buys higher end shoes but he basically has one pair of dress shoes and one pair of hiking boots.

DSes each have one-two pairs of tennis shoes (DS15 has Converse he wears most of the time but nikes for more active activites, DS11 has one pair of keens  low top hikers that he wears for everything), hiking boots ($$$), and some sort of dress shoes (Muppet Boy's are a hand me down from Oldest and Sherlock's are brown boots we got on clearance for $15)... Maybe sandals in the summer (they go to Florida most summers but Muppet Boy despises sandals). Oh and wrestling shoes for youngest.

Although those prices sound ok to me for the quality.  Today I saw stuff like Keds for $50.  I mean really?  That's crazy. 

$50 for keds seems crazy to me...

I just remembered... I bought two pairs of keds-styled tennis shoes from Target earlier this year.... one Mickey Mouse and one Donald Duck... cause they made me smile. They were $20 a pair and I couldn't talk myself into buying the adorable Disney Vans because I felt they were too expensive. I don't wear them all the time but they are HERE. So... so far in 2016 -- two pairs of knock off keds at $40, 1 pair of new tennis shoes at $65, and one pair of fringey sandals for $25?

You have a budget just for shoes?  I'm impressed.  I combine shoes and clothing and have no idea what percent of that line is just shoes.

No budget for shoes. Dh buys three pair of the same style/color New Balance. I buy two pair of athletic shoes a year, though I buy different ones every time.  Dh has dress shoes that he bought about ten years ago.  My shoe collection consists of two pair of dress shoes, one pair sandals, one pair of boots for winter, and one pair of slip on winter shoes.  Most of those are at least a decade old. 

So it was easy to calculate how much we spend on shoes. 

Dh spends even less on clothing every year.  He spends more on books than clothing, shoes, haircuts, and personal grooming supplies combined. g

• Like 2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Me that would probably be about a tenth of a percent. Not because I'm loaded though.

Mostly this is a joke.

I broke down and bought a pair of shoes today because my other pair is starting to shred. I cannot believe how expensive some shoes are. Those Sperry shoes? $100?! Oh pulease...are they worth it? Can't be. They don't look all that special.

Aside from converse, I don't think I have spent less than $90 on a pair of shoes for an adult unless I got a super sale or clearance deal anytime since I became an adult. My feet are wide, I have a high arch, funky shin issues and my feet are so large many places don't carry my size in the women's department. I don't buy shoes often but I limit myself to certain brands that work for me and most of those brands start at about $100.

• Like 1

We're not shoe people. Only one of the four of us is still growing and he's in a wheelchair so his shoes are always in perfect condition. I could see my mom having a shoe budget, but it must skip a generation. Even my ballet shoes last me a couple years. Now, based upon the 'Walking Sandals' thread I do have my eye on the Birkenstock Alyssas because they look normal, but who knows if I'll ever pll the trigger and purchase them.

I have purchased three pairs of shoes for myself in the past 12 months. Even with that splurge, I am still averaging 1 pair per year. In the last year, I have purchased 4 pairs of shoes for Dd13, though. Combat boots - $135 or so, black dress shoes $20, tennis shoes $130, and black dress shoes #2 $60. She needs a new pair of tennis shoes already (her others are less than 6 months old), so I will spend almost $500 on shoes for her in an 8 month period. Back story here: She broke her foot in early November and it still hasn't fully healed. I will be buying her $$$$ shoes until she is on her own because her foot structure seems to need them. She also can't go barefoot much, so she has to wear her tennis shoes most of the time. The combat boots and dress shoes are for Civil Air Patrol. They have been the biggest expense for a worthwhile activity, so I am okay with that. The second really expensive pair were super comfortable for drills and met the dress code. We've discovered that most women's black dress shoes do not. I'm hoping her feet are done growing so the boots and dress shoes will last a couple of years. I spend about $50/year/child for the middle three. The baby has used hand-me-downs so far. Dh spends about $150/year.

Aside from converse, I don't think I have spent less than $90 on a pair of shoes for an adult unless I got a super sale or clearance deal anytime since I became an adult. My feet are wide, I have a high arch, funky shin issues and my feet are so large many places don't carry my size in the women's department. I don't buy shoes often but I limit myself to certain brands that work for me and most of those brands start at about $100.

Ah.  I take a 6 to a 6.5.  I don't have much trouble finding shoes.

Ah. I take a 6 to a 6.5. I don't have much trouble finding shoes.

I like being tall but it would be nice to have size 9 or 10 feet instead of somewhat larger than a woman's 11. Having my first child pushed me from a 10 to that 11. Babies are ratfinks. Just kidding. Sort of.

• Like 3

My Sperrys are special.   :coolgleamA:  :lol: They are designed as boat shoes, so they are fairly slip resistant.  Given that I am prone to falling due to my super special snowflake ankles, I wear them fairly often.  I have to replace a pair every 4-5 years; they wear well.  Dh wears them to work on business casual days.

We each have about 4 pairs of shoes, so we're not exactly fashion magnets.

More in the last two years than in the last ten. I've been investing into quality shoes that are good for running around campus all day. I'm good on casual shoes, now I'm trying to build up dressier shoes. I'm currently trying to decide if the $120 pair on my Amazon wish list are worth it. I'm hoping to find someplace local to try them first. 

I've been at the opposite end for so long - cheap shoes or thrift store shoes that are not great for being on your feet all day - I've decided to build shoes I've love and will keep for years. 

Ds, however, has had the same pair of shoes for almost six years - yes, the kid's feet have not grown since he was about 13. He's adamant he doesn't need another pair and they're in good shape.  He has an older cruddy pair for yard work. 

Wow, just wow...how did you even manage to raise kids and run a home with circumstances like that? (snark)   :lol:

Not quite sure.  Maybe it's because that which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger?  (Credit to Nietzsche, of course)

Regarding shoes/boots... when we do buy them, we buy what we like and wear them until they wear out.  Sometimes we even repair them before replacing them.

Yes, my family goes through shoes. My daughter has a cheap pair of slip on's from Walmart for dresses but the boys don't have specific dress shoes. Sometimes at Christmas the choir asks for dress shoes. Since we are in Alaska she has to politely ask that the children not stomp onto the stage in giant winter boots.  :lol: We dig through a box and sometimes we will have one hobble onstage in shoes too tight and then change as soon as he is off stage. Another will look slightly like Bozo in too big of shoes but I'm not going out and buying new shoes for a 20 minute program. 

But then there are hiking boots. My boots are five years old but the kids are always outgrowing them. Rubber boots, snow boots, sneakers for daily use, sneakers for tracks and gyms, and always,always they are outgrowing them and only my very youngest son is in children's sizes. My oldest is men's 14s. My husband also has 13/14 sizes and then you have to add in his cycling shoes (since he rides 40 miles a day to commute to work). Do ski boots count? I may be skimpy on 20 minutes of dress shoes but I want my children to have well fitting hiking boots when you are going off into the woods and will be 10+ miles away from the road. I prefer not to destroy their feet. That being said. I lump all clothing and gear together in one big (sadly) budget. 

I remember Mom in High Heels. I looked up her old blog. She hasn't posted there since 2013

I wish I didn't spend as much as I do on dance shoes. They do not make tap shoes to last through a 6 yr old boy before he outgrows them. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.

I usually buy the kids a nice high quality pair of shoes each year at REI. They pretty much just wear the one pair so I want them to be comfortable and last. We don't have snow or much bad weather here.

Last year, I was ready to grit my teeth and buy each their $100+ pair when we decided to check out the clearance shoes. They each fell in love with a different pair of $40 shoes, so we switched out. So $85 was my entire shoe expenditure for 2015.

My dh finally realized his shoes have holes and he has a fairly high level office job so I forced him to get a pair of $100 shoes.

I have sort of been looking but don't really need them, so if we buy the kids shoes the total for 2016 will be around $200.

If only I could get the book and curriculum budget down to the level of the shoe budget. Think how much more I could spend on groceries!

Well, I do practically live in Converse. :)

Same situation here, opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a 4 or 5, on a good day. It's ridiculously hard to find shoes, so I have my go-to brands, and they are all in the $100 and up range. Once in awhile, I find a pair of kids shoes that will work. Like my rainbow Converse. [insert waving rainbow flag]

Edited by Spryte

I concur - Keens are worth $$ and thankfully they've caught on so that I can buy them secondhand now.  Every kid in the family (except the baby and DS 17 - who refuses to wear shorts or sandals) has Keens.... Because of consignment shops and Ebay, lol.

Obviously I'm cheap about shoes too. :P :)

I spend money on nice shoes but they last much longer. For my kids they seem to burn through them at quite a clip, but I still don't think we spend more than .5% of our net income on footwear, even though I'm a bit of a snob for quality :)

I literally just walked in from buying my first pair of Birkenstocks. Normally, I buy a good pair of walking shoes every year or two ($150) and wear cheap-o sandals. I've decided I need to be wearing good shoes in my home/tile floor, so after some debate, I decided to get Birkenstocks for everyday/inside and then I just called, ordered, and am now waiting a few weeks for the new Ghost 9 tennis shoes to come out and will pick up a pair of those. So, normally clothing and shoes for me is $0, but today, I'm feeling like I splurge on shoes, lol.

We go to shoe carnival once-twice a year (sometimes everyone gets shoes, sometimes just 2 people do). Buy one get one 1/2 off.  Max budget for everyone but DH is $50-$60 (Every other year or so DH has to get new work boots, they're $$). So we spend about $200 on shoes yearly.  More recently less, but we need to go really soon. 

I am somewhat thrifty but can hardly find used shoes in my size.  I don't generally buy shoes just for the sake of buying shoes, generally I only buy if I have a need and even then I will often wait, trying to figure out if it is a really a need for months or even years, so my shoe buying goes up and down.

I've bought 2 pairs of shoes so far this year. 1 was for general wear/running because my other pair had a whole wore through and the 2nd pair was a pair of sandals- I hated the discount Keens I bought last year so I decided to buy the ones I actually wanted(I wore my new sandals more in the first day then I ever wore the Keen's they hurt my feet). Both were about $100 each. I prefer minimal shoes and walk a pretty good amount so they don't necessarily last super long. My tennis shoes were about 1.5 yrs ago when I wore a hole through them and I ordered another pair just like them I loved them so much. 

Edited by soror

Up to 0.5%, probably. DH and I get made-in-USA running shoes when possible.

DS for the first time just last month wore a pair of shoes out before outgrowing them.

I like to have few pairs of shoes, but good ones.