Menu

How do you like your clothes to fit?

Night Elf

My mom was telling me I needed to wear more form fitting clothing because I had a good figure. I don't feel like I do. I have an apple figure and the rest of me is smaller so I swear I look pregnant. I wear loose fitting clothing to hide my figure. I did once try to find jeans that fit better since my current ones are too big but I had no luck. I tried on every brand that Kohls carried. So I wear loose jeans. I wear men's shirts because they don't hug my body. I wear large ones so they hang down to my bottom. I think I look fine! Slouchy, but fine.

I wear loose, slouchy clothes too.  It's more comfortable and I really can't wear fitted clothing without spending a ton of money or custom fitting.   Clothing of the proper size to fit my belly and hips are made for women with a LOT bigger bust than I have.    If it fits my bust, I'd look like a sausage casing around the belly.  Not attractive at all. 

I have a few blouses that fit slightly better and I can wear to dress up, but those are hard to find with my proportions.

I like pants that are form-fitting, but shirts/blouses/sweaters that are more loose or flowing.  Or, if I wear a snug top, I'll wear a loose sweater over it, etc.

This - I'm fairly thin.  I like my pants to fit - not too snug, not too loose, but then will generally wear a looser top, or if a tank, tight t, etc., then a top over it.

I think the, "If you got it, flaunt it," mentality is a little off, lol.  If you got it, great, and feel free to keep it to yourself. :)

• Like 3

I need form fitting for formal clothes else I look funny. For daily wear, tops range from form fitting for athletic wear to slightly loose for t-shirts. Jeans are quite form fitting because Levis curvy happen to fit me well. I am small build and short, loose looks too loose on me unfortunately like I am in borrowed clothes.

Generally, fitted, Especially the bottom. Top a little less but not too loose. Baggy and loose makes me look so much bigger. Hiding doesn't work, makes the whole hidden area look wider.

• Like 8

My mom was telling me I needed to wear more form fitting clothing because I had a good figure. I don't feel like I do. I have an apple figure and the rest of me is smaller so I swear I look pregnant. I wear loose fitting clothing to hide my figure. I did once try to find jeans that fit better since my current ones are too big but I had no luck. I tried on every brand that Kohls carried. So I wear loose jeans. I wear men's shirts because they don't hug my body. I wear large ones so they hang down to my bottom. I think I look fine! Slouchy, but fine.

Well, I'm saying this very gently, but if you're wearing men's shirts and jeans that are too big, you probably would look a bit better if you found clothes that fit you better. That doesn't mean skin tight, but there's a lot of middle ground that is quite a bit more flattering. My neighbor is an apple, but she finds skinny jeans that make her legs look AMAZING. As a pear myself, I'm always jealous because my legs will never, ever look as good as that. But the only reason she looks that good is that she wears jeans that fit. If she were to wear too-big jeans and her husband's shirt, she'd look much heavier and less feminine. We all have areas that we dislike, but it's often more flattering to dress to accentuate a bit what we do have.

Would you be open to getting suggestions for jeans that are friendly to apple shapes? As a pear myself, I'm absolutely no help, but I know they're out there! Of course, if you're really fine with how you dress, then keep going, but you did mention trying to find better-fitting jeans!

• Like 18

Like others, if I have a tight top, I wear a loose bottom and a loose top with a tight bottom. I keep my clothes form-skimming, but not tight. Too loose makes me look larger and I don't feel comfortable with too-tight clothing.

• Like 2

I tried on all the jeans in Kohl's, too. A few times. There's something weird with their jeans--none of them looked good on me. I found some at Old Navy that worked. But not all of the ON jeans worked either.

So just because you tried on all the jeans at Kohl's doesn't mean there isn't a pair out there that looks good on you. I hate searching for jeans, though, so I wear ponte pants from Walmart, only they don't seem to carry them anymore and I'm getting nervous about that. I want more of those pants and there're not there. :(

I wear clothes that fit the body. Not tight, not loose. I look best in button down shirts that nip in at the waist AND (this is important) are cut to nip in in the back a little too. If the back of the button down is completey blank--just a sheet of fabric--then it puffs away from the back of me and makes me look fat. But if the back has some shape to it (you can see lines of stitching--I don't sew so I don't know the terms) and it doesn't puff out behind me, then that's good. (I think the sewing term might be that it has extra panels? Maybe?)

These types of button down shirts are expensive (to me) from places like Express or Van Heussen, so I get them used from the thrift store.

If I wear puffy or drapey clothes, I look ridiculous. I think it's because I have a small head. So a big puff of cloth with a little head poking out looks goofy.

Currently I wear my black pants in ponte material (which I think is similiar to what yoga pants are made of?) and button down shirts for winter. For summer, I got a bunch of button down shirts and skirts to wear from the thrift store. Not tight fitting, but fitted. There's a difference.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Yes, and from watching years of What Not to Wear, pretty much everyone tries to hide their body under big clothes (like women in men's clothes) because they think it hides the fat, but it does the exact opposite. When you wear big clothes to cover problem areas, you end up looking huge.

It's better to find cuts that hide the problem areas without resorting to men's clothes. Men are not apple shaped with breasts, so their clothes will not fit you correctly at all. Your mom isn't trying to make you be like a little Barbie dressed up. She's pointing out that you have a nice woman figure and wearing clothes to hide it only makes you look bigger.

There are cuts that are flattering to an apple shape. I don't have them memorized. I'm more of a pear shape (my top is 2 sizes smaller than my bottom), so I know what works on that shape (my button down shirts work for me), but there are cuts that will make you look really nice for your shape, without making you feel like you're being shallow or dressing to please everyone else. You'll just look nice in them.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8

I look for clothes that are comfortable, modest, flattering, and inexpensive. For me, that generally means long, flowy elastic waist skirts with more form-fitting (but not tight) knit tops. 

If you like to wear long tops, you might try some tunics with a cute tank underneath, along with some jeans that fit a little less loosely. 

Well, I'm saying this very gently, but if you're wearing men's shirts and jeans that are too big, you probably would look a bit better if you found clothes that fit you better. That doesn't mean skin tight, but there's a lot of middle ground that is quite a bit more flattering. My neighbor is an apple, but she finds skinny jeans that make her legs look AMAZING. As a pear myself, I'm always jealous because my legs will never, ever look as good as that. But the only reason she looks that good is that she wears jeans that fit. If she were to wear too-big jeans and her husband's shirt, she'd look much heavier and less feminine. We all have areas that we dislike, but it's often more flattering to dress to accentuate a bit what we do have.

Would you be open to getting suggestions for jeans that are friendly to apple shapes? As a pear myself, I'm absolutely no help, but I know they're out there! Of course, if you're really fine with how you dress, then keep going, but you did mention trying to find better-fitting jeans!

I'm between pants sizes. I'm wearing 10s that are loose but 8s are so tight I can't zip them up. That happened in every brand I tried on. I don't want to shop online for something like jeans because I hate having to ship things back and all I would be doing is trying stuff on and probably sending it all back. I don't like my legs and I haven't worn shorts in public in several years. I just feel that it's hard to fit me.

I've got some women's shirts but they are short and I don't like them. I'm not even large busted anymore but I have a hard time finding a women's shirt that doesn't hug my body so I end up buying an XL to fit loosely and it's no different than wearing a men's medium.

I am also apple shaped.  I also much prefer looser clothes.  I also think I look "fine" - not attractive, but I'm not trying to attract anyone.  :)

I too have had people pick at me to wear more form-fitting clothes, but they don't understand the apple shape conundrum.  :)

I used to buy men's jeans because they have more room in the waist but not the hips.

Now I buy stretch jeans - they are still loose in the legs and snug in the belly, but it's a little less worse ....

I'm between pants sizes. I'm wearing 10s that are loose but 8s are so tight I can't zip them up. That happened in every brand I tried on. I don't want to shop online for something like jeans because I hate having to ship things back and all I would be doing is trying stuff on and probably sending it all back. I don't like my legs and I haven't worn shorts in public in several years. I just feel that it's hard to fit me.

I've got some women's shirts but they are short and I don't like them. I'm not even large busted anymore but I have a hard time finding a women's shirt that doesn't hug my body so I end up buying an XL to fit loosely and it's no different than wearing a men's medium.

I hate to follow up my own post but wanted to comment why I think my pants are loose and the next size down is too small. I have to buy pants to fit my waist. My bottom and legs are thinner. So if I buy a large enough waist, the rest of the pants are big. That's why I think they are loose. It's not like I can pull them down when they are fastened. They aren't that big.

I used to wear skirts but I stopped wearing them because I outgrew the ones I have and couldn't find ones I like to replace them. I haven't looked for one in a decade at least. I only like peasant skirts and I don't think they are current fashion. I don't see anyone wearing them anymore.

I hate to follow up my own post but wanted to comment why I think my pants are loose and the next size down is too small. I have to buy pants to fit my waist. My bottom and legs are thinner. So if I buy a large enough waist, the rest of the pants are big. That's why I think they are loose. It's not like I can pull them down when they are fastened. They aren't that big.

I used to wear skirts but I stopped wearing them because I outgrew the ones I have and couldn't find ones I like to replace them. I haven't looked for one in a decade at least. I only like peasant skirts and I don't think they are current fashion. I don't see anyone wearing them anymore.

The people I see at work who are an apple shape dress in form fitting bottoms (perhaps a stretch pant to overcome the difference between waist and legs/bottom) then a more flowing top.

Try curvy fit stretch jeans. I'm an apple and they often have more room in the waist. I like the ones at New York and Company, which go on sale often and they have coupons. I also like to do a nice floaty tank top and an open cardigan. Dresses are often a good option for apples. Think A-line- tighter in the bust the flares away (from your tummy!). If you like peasant skirts, what about a maxi dress or skirt? If you don't want to change that's ok, but it's nice to have some options. I too learned a LOT from What Not to Wear!

Edited by wonderchica

Have you tried Old Navy jeans? Every pair from them I've ever tried are too big in the waist when they fit me in the hips. They're not crazy expensive either, especially with coupons. Their sizing is inconsistent. If one pair of 8s doesn't fit, grab another few to try because each one will be a different size.

• Like 1

I wear form fitting clothes, loose clothes generally just make you look bigger and I can't ever think of a time I want to look bigger. My back/shoulders and waist are my best features(IMO) so I like sleeveless tops that are fitted at the bottom. I prefer the legs on my shorts to be looser but fitted at the waist w/ a top that is more fitted. Skinny jeans are my current favorite style of jean- with some spandex to make them nice and comfy. I do not wear low rise jeans, if anything I wear high rise, mine hit me at my belly button, my waist is pretty thin but my mom belly has loose skin and I like it all under wraps so a higher waist keeps everything nice and smooth BUT I always wear a longer top to cover over my waist band to make my short torso look longer. I cannot stand tops that come to high on my neck but prefer they aren't too low cut either. 

I have a friend that is more of an apple w/ amazing legs, she looks good w/ pants that are form fitting or shorts. On shirts nothing too tight but if it is too loose it is not flattering either. An untucked button up top(just loose enough to make sure the buttons across the bOOKs aren't too tight) w/ a cardigan is a frequent style for the winter and it looks good on her.

• Like 1

I wear form-fitting clothing. Not tight, but not loose, flowy, or slouchy. When I was young, I was taught that any level of form-fitting was inappropriate, so I largely wore men's clothes and thought I was just not very attractive. About 10 years ago, I discovered a new style and suddenly loved how I looked. I am not made for loose clothing - it makes me look bigger. To that end, tight clothes also make me look bigger. (Jeans: express, limited, that price level work for me. Kohls/Target/Old Navy etc have never looked good on me. I don't even try anymore. Also, I look better in dress pants or yoga pants than jeans, so I only own one pair of jeans).

If your shirts are too short, get new ones (if you can). I have a long torso and also a complete intolerance for any chance of showing my tummy or back skin. Therefore, I only buy shirts that are longer than normal. After years of practice, I can eye a shirt in my friend's closet or on the rack and know whether it will be long enough. I don't waste time on short shirts. I cannot wear crew necklines. Not even a little bit. Boat necklines are the most flattering, but v-necks and scoops (not too low!) also work. Crew necks make my chest look huge. I don't wear shorts because they don't fit right. Capris are my friend.

I'm a rectangle body that leans apple. Broad shoulders, well-endowed, wider waste, no hips, no butt, great legs. I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Figuring out what fit me made all the difference in how I felt about my appearance. It really is amazing to me how much more flattering the right clothes look on my body. In a men's t-shirt and too big jeans with wide cut thighs, I look fat and frumpy. In a fitted pair of yoga pants and a v-neck, long-sleeved fitted shirt that reaches to just below my hips, I look strong, womanly, and pretty. My body didn't change...just the clothes. (Color names a difference for me too, but you didn't ask about that).

• Like 2

I tried on all the jeans in Kohl's, too. A few times. There's something weird with their jeans--none of them looked good on me. I found some at Old Navy that worked. But not all of the ON jeans worked either.

So just because you tried on all the jeans at Kohl's doesn't mean there isn't a pair out there that looks good on you. I hate searching for jeans, though, so I wear ponte pants from Walmart, only they don't seem to carry them anymore and I'm getting nervous about that. I want more of those pants and there's not there. :(

I wear clothes that fit the body. Not tight, not loose. I look best in button down shirts that nip in at the waist AND (this is important) are cut to nip in in the back a little too. If the back of the button down is completey blank--just a sheet of fabric--then it puffs away from the back of me and makes me look fat. But if the back has some shape to it (you can see lines of stitching--I don't sew so I don't know the terms) and it doesn't puff out behind me, then that's good. (I think the sewing term might be that it has extra panels? Maybe?)

These types of button down shirts are expensive (to me) from places like Express or Van Heussen, so I get them used from the thrift store.

If I wear puffy or drapey clothes, I look ridiculous. I think it's because I have a small head. So a big puff of cloth with a little head poking out looks goofy.

Currently I wear my black pants in ponte material (which I think is similiar to what yoga pants are made of?) and button down shirts for winter. For summer, I got a bunch of button down shirts and skirts to wear from the thrift store. Not tight fitting, but fitted. There's a difference.

Darts. Darts is the sewing term you need. They take up the ease in the fabric so it hangs along the form of the body.

• Like 4

Nothing floppy! I can't stand cowl necks, hoods, tassels, open flowy jackets/blouses, drawstrings. UGH! Other than that, I don't think I really have a specific fit I look for. Probably well fitting pants ( I like straight leg and boot cut) and relaxed shirts with some shape. I do like casual dresses, they make me feel put together without trying. 

I aim for either a fitted bottom with a looser top or vice versa. Unfortunately due to weight gain a lot of my stuff is tighter than I like right now but I can't replace all of it at once.

So when you see the lady in the sausage casing shirt don't assume she loves it. She might have a small clothing budget and be carrying some extra kg.

First, get some t-shirts or tops from the ladies department that you like.  That should be pretty easy to begin with. and mens t-shirts ten to be boxy and not as flattering on most women.  I agree Old Navy or another store  like Maurice's might work better for you in the jeans department.  Look for slim fit legs with what ever waist size you are.  Another great option is to find a better denim fabric that has a lot of stretch to it = not all cotton or super high cotton content will stretch out for you shape and not be so big in the bottom and legs.

Don't be discouraged.  It may take you a couple of stores and time in the dressing room (ask the sales associates for help; that's why I rec'd Maurices or Old Navy) but once you find a good jeans...it will be worth it.  You'll look taller and skinner in the right fitting clothing :thumbup: .

• Like 1

I am overweight, avg chest, short stubby legs, large backside. 5'4"

I like my clothing shaped or fitted, but looser tops. Tunic length or mid/upper thighs. Baggy men's shirts make me look like a sack of garbage, but I Love the comfort. I have to try on almost everything to find the right shirt, but it's worth it.

Pants or capris I prefer a snugger fit, denim or stretchy knit.

Skirts only look good on me if they are a long straight/people cool fit. Flows skirts look like I'm a circus tent.

Try these shirts: http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/plus-size-clothing/by-style/graphic-tees/just-my-size-v-neck-womens-graphic-tee-28334 inexpensive and comfy, but pretty. I got mine at Walmart, but I did t find them on their website today.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 1

I try to wear what fits. If it's too baggy, I don't know how it would stay on without being a hassle. I also don't like anything squeezing me, so I avoid tight stuff too. I guess I go with form fitting? My uniform is skinny or bootcut jeans or cords and a t-shirt that fits somewhat close to the body. If it's too baggy, the shoulders won't fit correctly and I hate things falling off my shoulders.

Oh, and I forgot to say, that I have all kinds of fitting clothing.  Most days I try to dress nicely in well fitting, but comfortable clothing.  I do not like super-tight jeans; they are too uncomfortable, but I have found a few different styles that fit and flatter by body type.  (I do have a problem with pants/jeans being too big in the waist if the hips fit; they leave a big old-gap back butt-pocket, and I can't stand that look.)  Personally, I think most all of us have our fitting obstacles or quirks. :huh:

I like pants that are form-fitting, but shirts/blouses/sweaters that are more loose or flowing. Or, if I wear a snug top, I'll wear a loose sweater over it, etc.

I mostly do this. I'm right in the middle of the weight range I should be, but have more belly than I should. I try to dress the best for what I have - a few years ago I decided that well fitting jeans were a must, and I researched what style I needed for my figure and bought some online from Next. They were wonderful, and I now stick to those, even if they're more expensive than I would usually opt for (and I once had to send a pair back when I mixed up UK and Australian sizing).

I've increasingly used op shops (charity shops) to figure out what suits me - if something doesn't work out it wasn't a huge loss and the styles aren't driven by what is in fashion this season. I either like flowing tops that skim the body or tighter tops that skim the belly - usually some sort of detail in the front that creates extra fabric (like a cowl neck or crossover front).

I don't believe in 'if you've got it flaunt it' but I do believe in looking as good as you can - I know my new-improved low-budget wardrobe has made me feel more positive and confident when I'm out. I actually first bought several new tops because I thought I would need them for work experience. Then I wondered why I had to wait to be employed to look good... I feel like I'm now dressing to reflect who I want to be seen as, and it feels great!

• Like 1