Menu

Would this bother you? Dental related...

bodiesmom

I've had two cleanings with a new dentist and I'm just not feeling the love. Would any of these incidences bother you at all?

1- The first time I met the dentist he spent the entire time telling me I "needed" four implants (to the tune of 20 grand). I have four baby teeth that never had any permanent teeth to replace with and they are doing great. Strong root structure, no cavities, nothing. My mother has the same condition and hers are doing well. I politely listened while he gave his pitch.

2- Same dentist also told me I needed braces (to the tune of 5 grand) before I get these "needed" implants due to a slight overbite I have. I'm in my early 40s, have seen a handful of dentists over the course of my life for 6 month cleanings, and have never once been told I have an overbite. In fact all dentists have marveled at how great my tooth structure and spacing is despite my never having braces.

I wasn't impressed with the sales pitch, but didn't think it was anything to switch dentists over. Fast forward to the next cleaning 6 months later....

3- dentist comes in, looks at my X-rays from 6 months ago, and orders the hygienist to sign me up to have imprints done for an upper retainer. He says nothing to me. Nothing. So I ask him why I need it, and I literally get silence. He waits about 5 seconds and then repeats his demand to the hygenist. Alrighty then.

4- Dentist gets up to leave, and on his way out he tells the hygenist to make sure she remembers to talk to me about the importance of flossing my back teeth. I'm not a child. I'm sitting right there.

I'm not happy. His tone was arrogant. He didn't talk TO me. He spoke to the hygenist about me with me sitting right there. Ugh.

This isn't necessarily a jawm, rather I'm just curious if others would be upset over the behaviors exhibited by this particular dentist....

Uhhh yeah! No way would I ever go back to a dentist or doctor for that matter, that treated me this way. I would also let the the office know why I was not going back. He does not deserve your business. It's appalling and totally unprofessional!

ETA: I wouldn't let him near my kids either.

Edited by MyLittleBears
  • Like 5

Find a new dentist. I went to a dentist every 6 months for 40 years we went to a new dentist who is so good.... He finds 8 cavities that no other dentist in 40 years could find. Yeah, we changed back to our old dentist and guess what, no a single cavity to be found.

• Like 7

Find a new dentist. I went to a dentist every 6 months for 40 years we went to a new dentist who is so good.... He finds 8 cavities that no other dentist in 40 years could find. Yeah, we changed back to our old dentist and guess what, no a single cavity to be found.

Funny you should mention this. My three kiddos and I had our appt last week and between three of us there are 8 cavities! I haven't had a cavity in a decade, and now suddenly I have three!!!?? My kiddos rarely have cavities, rarely, and now one has two cavities, and the other has three cavities as well.

We are in the process of switching dentists. I figured if I'm going to spend an insane amount of money on filling cavities then I certainly don't want any of that money going to this guy. I've never realized how expensive these suckers are because we have rarely had to deal with it.

• Like 1

I've had two cleanings with a new dentist and I'm just not feeling the love. Would any of these incidences bother you at all?

1- The first time I met the dentist he spent the entire time telling me I "needed" four implants (to the tune of 20 grand). I have four baby teeth that never had any permanent teeth to replace with and they are doing great. Strong root structure, no cavities, nothing. My mother has the same condition and hers are doing well. I politely listened while he gave his pitch.

2- Same dentist also told me I needed braces (to the tune of 5 grand) before I get these "needed" implants due to a slight overbite I have. I'm in my early 40s, have seen a handful of dentists over the course of my life for 6 month cleanings, and have never once been told I have an overbite. In fact all dentists have marveled at how great my tooth structure and spacing is despite my never having braces.

I wasn't impressed with the sales pitch, but didn't think it was anything to switch dentists over. Fast forward to the next cleaning 6 months later....

3- dentist comes in, looks at my X-rays from 6 months ago, and orders the hygienist to sign me up to have imprints done for an upper retainer. He says nothing to me. Nothing. So I ask him why I need it, and I literally get silence. He waits about 5 seconds and then repeats his demand to the hygenist. Alrighty then.

4- Dentist gets up to leave, and on his way out he tells the hygenist to make sure she remembers to talk to me about the importance of flossing my back teeth. I'm not a child. I'm sitting right there.

I'm not happy. His tone was arrogant. He didn't talk TO me. He spoke to the hygenist about me with me sitting right there. Ugh.

This isn't necessarily a jawm, rather I'm just curious if others would be upset over the behaviors exhibited by this particular dentist....

Definitely, go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Oh heck to the no.  I'd be looking for a new dentist ASAP.  What a jerk.  I've tried a couple like that.  I'm finding my current dentist kind of marginal but they did just do a seemingly good job on a necessary root canal and don't suggestively sell me like 25K worth of stuff.  Oi.

• Like 1

Oh my goodness thank you everyone.

I was starting to second guess myself and wondering if I was just overreacting.

The receptionist is asking to chat before she hands over the records-I feel much more confident in my reasoning now. Now I just need to compose a respectful email to her detailing my concerns.

• Like 1

Find a new dentist--wish I had.

Mine told me I had periodontal disease and needed all sorts of expensive treatments which never worked, then told me I needed dentures, then treated me in such and insulting and condescending manner I wound up with PTSD.

I can barely even look at the word "dentist" on the internet without a panic attack but guess what?

I've been pain free for the first time in years and haven't lost a single tooth since I stopped seeing that denture salesman I mistook for a competent healthcare professional.

It's serious stuff, hun; people treat you differently. You'd cross the street to avoid me or spit on me if I came too close to you because of the way I look--don't pretend you wouldn't just to make me feel better but please, please don't make the same mistake I did.

Get your teeth cleaned, but not by that salesman. Find yourself a new dentist. If the next one tries to sell you something you couldn't afford even if you wanted it which you don't, then walk away and keep looking.

I didn't and look how I turned out.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

IEF- I'm so sorry for your experience. Many hugs to you.

I'm composing my email right now. I'm nervous and shaky because I hate confrontation, but I'm sharing my displeasure with the office. The Hive has given me the courage. Ha!

• Like 2

I was at the dentist this morning.

Before he did any work, the receptionist brought me a complete write-up of what he wanted to do, what the "list price" was, what my insurance would cover, and what my co-pay would be. He calmly and clearly explained everything to me, did a second check through when I asked a variety of questions, and was responsive.

That is so not normal.

My hubby still has a baby tooth. So did his grandma when she died at 98.

Emily

• Like 2

Oh my goodness thank you everyone.

I was starting to second guess myself and wondering if I was just overreacting.

The receptionist is asking to chat before she hands over the records-I feel much more confident in my reasoning now. Now I just need to compose a respectful email to her detailing my concerns.

What? No. Just hand over the records. There's no need to chat first. 

• Like 5

#2 - comments on overbite I think are generally things you'd hear at the orthodontist. I have an overbite (or overjet?), despite lots of orthodontic care. I don't think this is something dentists have really commented on?

#3 - did they already do it?

Yes, move on. No bedside manner with this dentist.

• Like 1

Yeah, those behaviors would probably mildly annoy me.  Whether or not I would find another dentist would depend on how much they annoy me, the technical competency of the dentist, whether I liked the dentist overall, or how convenient it was to access dental care at that office. 

Your story reminds me of the last time I went to the dentist.  The hygienist got out her color chart to see if I "needed" bleaching services.  I almost laughed out loud because my teeth are naturally blindingly white and anyone can clearly see that.  I can only assume this was a service she was required to offer to all patients in spite of what common sense would tell her.  My teeth were whiter than the whitest bar on her chart, and she just told me she didn't think I needed whiteners "at this time".  I just shook my head and said "No, I guess not".  Crazy...

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

I had a similar situation with a dentist a few years ago. They wanted to do extra xrays that I'd have to pay out of pocket, they said I needed a crown (that no one else before or after has said I needed), he talked to the hygenist and not me, wouldn't explain things when I asked questions.

I got my tooth cleaning and nothing else that day and never went back.

• Like 1

Yes. It would bother me and I'd get a new dentist.

• Like 1

A dentist is not someone you need a good enough reason to leave. Any professional that leaves you questioning your own good judgement and uncomfortable is unprofessional at least, and possibly abusive. Find a dentist you like and trust, who answers your questions with respect. You don't even have to stay with the next dentist because you think he/she is a good one, keep looking if you want to.

• Like 2

Your story reminds me of the last time I went to the dentist. The hygienist got out her color chart to see if I "needed" bleaching services. I almost laughed out loud because my teeth are naturally blindingly white and anyone can clearly see that. I can only assume this was a service she was required to offer to all patients in spite of what common sense would tell her. My teeth were whiter than the whitest bar on her chart, and she just told me she didn't think I needed whiteners "at this time". I just shook my head and said "No, I guess not". Crazy...

See- this would definitely rub me the wrong way. To have a hygienist hold up a color chart in order to see if my teeth were white enough....white enough for who? Who gets to say whether my teeth are up to par or not in terms of brightness? It's almost like someone going to see a medical doctor for a health issue and the doctor holding up a picture of large bOoks all the while saying " now let's see here....yes. Yes you definitely "need" augmentation."

I'm all for enhancing one's looks. Heck, I even partook in professional teeth whitening years ago. Make the information readily available at these offices, slap the big advertisement posters on the wall. But don't hold up a "measuring stick" to me that has been created by society.

Wow. Mini rant there....sorry about that...lol!

Update- I sent an email (and tbh I feel a little bad but so glad I told them), the records have been transferred to a new dentist, new appointments have been made with new dentist, and now I just need to tackle paying for the upcoming fillings.

• Like 4