Menu

What do you think of four-year residency requirements?

plansrme

My undergrad degree is from a Big State U which, like most BSUs, could not have cared less where I lived.  After freshman year or, at the latest, sophomore year, most everyone moved off of campus.  I'm surprised, however, at the number of schools my middle child may consider that require students to live on campus for all four years.  I am not a fan.  If you have a college student in year 2 or 3 or 4 of on-campus housing, what does she think of it?  Aren't the kids itching to get out of a dorm by then?  Several of these schools have only dorms, no on-campus apartments, so four four years, the student has no access to a kitchen?  This is so strange to me, but if the kids who live on campus for four years love it, I might not voice my objections quite so loudly.

• Like 1

I lived in dorms all four years and enjoyed it, even tho' mine was pretty nasty, lol.

Most of the schools that require four years tend to have at least decent dorms. And I'd be surprised if they different have a kitchen in the dorm, we had that at my cheap lil' school back in the late 80s. Depending on the size of the dorm, there may be a kitchen on each floor or every other floor, something like that. 

Schools that require four years on campus could generally not be any more different than a huge state school that 'could not care less' where students live. They have a very intentional type of community and personality, and they want the student's life to be centered around campus. 

I definitely think that students who live on campus tend to be more involved than students who don't (as a group, I know there are exceptions). 

It's just another factor in the decision. 

• Like 4

Youngest DS has ruled a couple of schools out for the sole reason that they require four years of on campus living.  He's not even sure he wants to have to do one year in a dorm, let alone four!

My dd was the exact opposite - schools with scarce housing got ruled out! 

She wound up choosing a school that doesn't require four years of residency, but it easily can be done as long as you submit your application in a timely manner each year. 

I must not have looked at any of these schools. (I do some college search mentoring for homeschool friends, so I do look at a number of schools, not just for our family.) Virtually none have had any residency requirements; only a few require freshmen to live on campus. None required living on campus for all 4 years...

The first thing I'd consider is your student's personality and needs -- would that feel imprisoning to your student, or overwhelming if they are an introvert? Or would they enjoy and thrive on living in the thick of the activity?

I'd also look carefully at the quality of the housing (will it be tolerable for 4 years). And also look at what nicer on-campus/near campus housing options are available for upper clansmen -- like, apt.-style dorms for just 1, possible 2, students. That could make having to live on campus a lot nicer in the later years.

Also look at the price differences and if a price jump in housing is going to be affordable for your student 2-3 years down the line. Also look at the meal plans and if those are also required for all 4 years. If not, then your student might be able to off-set the jump in housing price for living solo or in more spacious quarters with just 1 roommate with buying/preparing their own food...

My dd is in her second year at such a school. Even local students live on campus. It works well for us because our EFC is low and they meet full need, so she lives there cheap. The rooms are big and lovely and have their own bathroom. They have kitchens and gyms in the dorm. I want to live there. :D  Her quality of life is great for anyone, let alone a college student.

It is ranked #2 for "Students Study the Most" on one of those college lists, so it works out well. They live and work around the clock in their dorms, it seems, and the college buildings, labs, etc. are all open at all hours. She regularly has meetings on Sunday evening or study groups at 11 pm. From a practical standpoint, too, it is in an area where no student could afford an apartment.

Neither of my girls thought much about living and food when they looked at schools, They were all about the academics and intellectual environment. I think they would have lived in a closet for the right school. She may get tired of dorm life in her last year or so, but she can live off campus during the summers while she interns.

Edited by angela in ohio
  • Like 3

My ds is looking at such schools.  I am torn.  My familiarity with off campus housing at major state universities around here is that the surrounding area is not very safe.  I don't really like students living off campus or even wandering around off campus at most of them.  I do kind of like the idea of them being on campus in an overprotective helicopter parent kind of way ;)

I also like the idea of being right on campus to take advantage of all the college has to offer and going back for optional study sessions, etc. at night.  Having done the off campus thing I see some benefits to being on campus.  Most schools do seem to have very nice housing for upperclassmen.  Of course, it gets more expensive as it gets nicer, too.  I do bristle a little at the students not having the option of moving off campus to more affordable housing and food plans.  

Where my ds is likely to end up, rents in the surrounding area are so high I don't think he would have a cheaper off campus alternative so it won't hurt so much to stay on campus.  Ds cannot wait to throw himself into college and live on campus and be Mr. School Spirit.  Haha.  So it has not been a turn off to him.  Housing and food just has not made much of an impression on him in the evaluation of colleges. 

• Like 2

I think it depends on the situation:  what the surrounding geographic area is like vs types of available on-campus housing.

I would have lived all 4 years on campus if I could have.  My school required most juniors to live off campus as there weren't enough dorms.  In that urban location, apartments are expensive.  Seniors come back on campus for decent dorm apartments.  Funny, there were small house- or townhouse-style apartments, built as temporary housing long before I attended, that housed about half the senior class.  I attended >25 yrs ago and they are still there (or were last time I visited a few yrs ago), much loved by the students.

Edited by wapiti

I lived on campus 4 years. I had access to a kitchen all 4 years. I had a 10 meal a week plan, so I prepared plenty of meals in dorm. I had to have my own pots to use on the stove and my own dishes, but there was a stove, oven and refridgerator in all dorms. I didn't use the kitchen refridgerator. I kept my stuff in my own room in a small refridgerator. It was possible to prepare all meals in dorm, but I chose not to. 

My niece stayed in on campus housing at a big state school in an urban center for 4 years. Her dorm the last two years was pretty much an apartment. It was a suite with 4 single bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen that also included a washer and dryer. It was a lot better than any apartment she could have gotten off campus. 

ETA: I didn't have a car. Being on campus without a car was cheaper for me than adding in car maintenance to the equation. 

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

That is one area we neglected to look at more closely with our 2nd child.  While the school has a 4 year residency requirements, the living options are varied and many of those options include kitchens.  This part did not bother us too much.  What did bother us was the fact that the students to have a meal plan all 4 years and all their meal plans cost the same.  No cheaper options for students who would rather cook.  With the flexible plans, they were able to purchase lots of different kinds of food, but the campus run grocery-like store that accepted their meal plan dollars closed down. 

I'm pretty sure ds would not attend a school that required that. He's looking to transfer and would prefer to never live in a dorm, but he's a big introvert who likes his private space and lots of quiet time to study. 

I looked at one school that required that for myself and would assume they had exceptions for students over a certain age. From my perspective, it was kind of a turn off because I figured the standard would be geared toward on campus students and I would feel left out. I feel that way at my school sometimes and we have loads of commuter/off campus students and activities geared towards all times and demographics. 

• Like 1

I must not have looked at any of these schools. (I do some college search mentoring for homeschool friends, so I do look at a number of schools, not just for our family.) Virtually none have had any residency requirements; only a few require freshmen to live on campus. None required living on campus for all 4 years...

It has surprised me that there are so many with ANY residency requirement, but so far, there are four with a four-year requirement and two with a freshman-year-only requirement.  This just out of one athletic conference, which is where she's started looking for no other reason than that she knows girls at several of these schools.  I haven't even checked a couple of schools in the conference that she wouldn't be interested in but that I am pretty sure have a four-year requirement.  As well, one other local'ish school in D3 that I wish she would consider (but at which she has turned up her nose so far) has a four-year requirement.  Another local school that she would never get into academically requires first- and second-year students to live on campus.  

I think there are great benefits for students living on campus.  Students are more likely to take advantage of all of the activities that the college has to offer.  It is an opportunity to spend some undistracted time focused on academic studies and the life of the mind.  Students are more likely to attend study session, special seminars, cultural events, etc. when they live on campus.  In some locations, campus housing provides a safer living environment.  Another advantage of four years of dorm life--many students do want out of the dorm by then--which is a bit more motivation to graduate and move on from college life.

• Like 3

It has surprised me that there are so many with ANY residency requirement, but so far, there are four with a four-year requirement and two with a freshman-year-only requirement.  This just out of one athletic conference, which is where she's started looking for no other reason than that she knows girls at several of these schools.  I haven't even checked a couple of schools in the conference that she wouldn't be interested in but that I am pretty sure have a four-year requirement.  As well, one other local'ish school in D3 that I wish she would consider (but at which she has turned up her nose so far) has a four-year requirement.  Another local school that she would never get into academically requires first- and second-year students to live on campus.  

Thanks for that added info, plansrme! :) Wow, that's interestingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Just curious: do these schools seem to cluster in a particular area of the country? 

I know that tends to be the case for schools requiring some SATII tests -- most tend to be East Coast or NE states...

Thanks for that added info, plansrme! :) Wow, that's interestingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Just curious: do these schools seem to cluster in a particular area of the country?

I know that tends to be the case for schools requiring some SATII tests -- most tend to be East Coast or NE states...

Atlanta, North GA, Florida panhandle, Carolinas and Tennessee. She has not looked beyond the southeast, so I don't know if it is regional or not. I will report back when I persuade her to relax her geographical criteria.

• Like 1

I think there are great benefits for students living on campus. Students are more likely to take advantage of all of the activities that the college has to offer. It is an opportunity to spend some undistracted time focused on academic studies and the life of the mind. Students are more likely to attend study session, special seminars, cultural events, etc. when they live on campus. In some locations, campus housing provides a safer living environment. Another advantage of four years of dorm life--many students do want out of the dorm by then--which is a bit more motivation to graduate and move on from college life.

This. All of this.

I cannot imagine my college experience any other way besides living on-campus all four years. It wasn't *required,* but something like 87% of students did. I attended a small, liberal arts college. Some moved off campus their senior year. Most of those were more of the "wild" variety of students. I absolutely loved my time on campus. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

My dh attended a Big State U, and he lived on campus all but his senior year. He lived by himself in a one-bedroom apartment that year, primarily because he was ready to be out of the fraternity house. Now, that same Big State U only requires living on-campus freshman year and cannot accommodate very many on campus beyond that. It's pretty much SOP that one lives off campus from sophomore year on. There is an elaborate bus system, so many students don't have to drive in. Which is good since parking is a beast as well.

I have no idea what the "policy" is at ds's school, but pretty much everyone lives on campus all four years as the off-campus housing is completely unaffordable (Silicon Valley). In fact, I believe all the graduate schools there provide on-campus housing as well. And I think faculty housing is subsidized by the Universtiy.

To me, one loses SO much of the "college experience," moving off-campus and living in an apartment and commuting in. And having to fix all of one's meals? What a hassle! To me that makes college seem more like a job. I know not everyone values having that "college experience," but it was one of the best parts of my life. I loved that intermediate four years between being a child and "adulting." I really think my thoughts on this were taken to heart by ds when he was doing his search.

I also realize that in some places it might be more affordable to be off-campus, so that would certainly have to be considered. I just think if one can get that four-year, on-campus experience, it's worth it!

• Like 6

My undergrad degree is from a Big State U which, like most BSUs, could not have cared less where I lived.  After freshman year or, at the latest, sophomore year, most everyone moved off of campus.  I'm surprised, however, at the number of schools my middle child may consider that require students to live on campus for all four years.  I am not a fan.  If you have a college student in year 2 or 3 or 4 of on-campus housing, what does she think of it?  Aren't the kids itching to get out of a dorm by then?  Several of these schools have only dorms, no on-campus apartments, so four four years, the student has no access to a kitchen?  This is so strange to me, but if the kids who live on campus for four years love it, I might not voice my objections quite so loudly.

seems ridiculous - I don't remember any schools that I attended or siblings (lots) attended that had this requirement.

Almost all required Freshman to live on campus or commute from home.

If it's nice then stay on campus all four but it should be a choice.

Edited by MarkT

If the rental market is affordable, then I can see dd living off campus. In that case, I still would prefer the school to guarantee housing for the first two years.

If housing is unaffordable off-campus, then the school must have guaranteed or mandated housing for all four years.

My older two live/d on campus for three years. Ds wanted to move off junior year but plans didn't work out. Dd will be living in a nice apartment next year just off campus. Because the lease is for a year, we'll be paying the same amount as the dorm. We will save money on food!

Well, at a thousand month sometimes more for a small shared room and bathroom and only ten to fifteen meals per week, it is a HUGE moneymaker for the college. I loved living on campus way back in the day. Loved it. But economic reality is that our eldest ds can live off campus in 750sq ft, well kept, and including utilities making much healthier food for himself for $300 a month less than room and board at the university. We are trying to find out what options are available for middle ds. At NMU we can buy a two bedroom cottage walking distance from the school for less per month over four years and including utilities, insurance, and taxes than he can live on campus leaving us with a property to rent or sell when he graduates to say nothing of even greater savings if he finds a roommate. It also gives us somewhere to stay when we visit instead of the limited hotel offerings, and would be a summer spot for us or a weekly vacation rental at the height of the tourist season. Oh and the food options are not robust. Apparently they bring in a ton of catered food for prospective student days and parent weekends, but the daily fair is rather poor. Since he gets pretty cranky when his diet does not include a great variety of fruits and veggies, grilled meats or baked but not fried, having his own kitchen might be a better way to go.

Still, I seriously adored campus life when I was in college, you know, back in the late Jurassic! LOL

• Like 2

All three of mine absolutely love/d it and take advantage of the many things their colleges have to offer.  They've never once asked about or mentioned wanting to live off campus. That would really crimp their schedules and activities.  At youngest's son's school, living off campus is likely more expensive.  He's told us some moved off, then moved back on.  All three can easily cook when they want/ed to as well.  There are easily accessible kitchens.

Back in our day hubby and I stayed on campus at Big State U and loved it too.  We were in the Corps of Cadets, so had a whole second life through it.

I can't fathom not wanting to live on or at least very close to campus.  For us it was a great part of college.

• Like 2

Well, at a thousand month sometimes more for a small shared room and bathroom and only ten to fifteen meals per week, it is a HUGE moneymaker for the college. I loved living on campus way back in the day. Loved it. But economic reality is that our eldest ds can live off campus in 750sq ft, well kept, and including utilities making much healthier food for himself for $300 a month less than room and board at the university. We are trying to find out what options are available for middle ds. At NMU we can buy a two bedroom cottage walking distance from the school for less per month over four years and including utilities, insurance, and taxes than he can live on campus leaving us with a property to rent or sell when he graduates to say nothing of even greater savings if he finds a roommate. It also gives us somewhere to stay when we visit instead of the limited hotel offerings, and would be a summer spot for us or a weekly vacation rental at the height of the tourist season. Oh and the food options are not robust. Apparently they bring in a ton of catered food for prospective student days and parent weekends, but the daily fair is rather poor. Since he gets pretty cranky when his diet does not include a great variety of fruits and veggies, grilled meats or baked but not fried, having his own kitchen might be a better way to go.

Still, I seriously adored campus life when I was in college, you know, back in the late Jurassic! LOL

I had friends in college (siblings) whose parents bought them a 2 BR bungalow.  Between the three siblings, they had a kid living in it for 7 or 8 straight years.  It was a great deal, especially as college housing doesn't ever seem to lose value.  I have a local friend who did the same thing.  She has had her own kids living in it for years and has never lacked for tenants for the other rooms.  

But, the point--the food!  Yes, that is my big concern for my sophomore.  Food is very important to her.  It's the big reason she wants to go to school within a half-day's drive from us:  she wants to be able to come home to my cooking.  Which is sweet, of course, but I keep telling her there are other options for fresh, home-cooked, healthy food.  I'm in the process of collecting ideas for her for real food--occasional Blue Apron deliveries, recipes she can make in a small kitchen with little space, meals I can send back with her, that sort of thing.  We have some time for this one, but she will consider more schools if I help her envision her dining needs being met in some manner other than Gladware from my fridge.  

I lived on campus all four years and loved it.

My youngest is in hte process of apartment-hunting so she can live off campus next year. Why?

1) She needs to live in the area over the summer, and finding a place to live for three months is a problem. Living off campus solves that!

2) She has dietary requirements for medical issues that require her to do some cooking so she NEEDS a kitchen.

3) She is looking forward to entering the more adult world of living off-campus.

4) Her college is SMALL and has relatively little going on on campus, but living off-campus will help her have easier access to her career-related part-time job.

I will say that our eldest ds who is very art and music oriented does take advantage of campus life. He attends most of the concerts and plays, hits the art gallery, tutors for pay in the writing lab, and is a member of a game development club ad a concept artist. But part of the reason that I think he does this is we are not what I would call "commuter parents". We role model involvement by showing up for convocation, special speakers, plays and concerts, etc. We are there with bells on as the saying goes, and though it is not always convenient to build that 3 hrs round trip drive into an evening or weekend, we do that to show him we are excited about his college experience and supportive of his involvement. At choir concerts, I am the proud mamma in the front row, misty eyed, and clapping like crazy. A lot of commuter parents do not take that approach.

Even though WMU is four hours away, and NMU seven, we will make every effort to attend parent weekends, at least one play or concert per semester, and if he is in the snowboard club, may offer to host the and his friends some weekend at a rental on Schuss Mountain just so we can be supportive and you know, feed college kids hungry for home cooking. Sounds odd. But it is who we are. Through their teen years, we have been the hang out house for them and for their friends as well. So once in a while I think I still need to spoil their adult friends too.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 1

Our DD chose a school with a 4-year residency requirement. As a varsity athlete, she'll NEED to live on campus to be near the pool and dining hall to be able to get the 4-5k calories she needs to eat daily during season! Also, since she is half-way across the country from us, we like that she'll be in safe, convenient housing throughout college.

Ds attends a college with a 4-year residency requirement. When he visited as a junior, it was only freshman. By the time he applied, they expanded it to two years, now it is four. That said, most upper classmen do not live in dorms. They have a variety of apartments available. If you live in an apartment, a meal plan is not required, although it is always an option. Ds needs to make housing decisions in the next week or two. Right now he is leaning toward another year in the dorms, but he is also considering an on campus apartment building with 4br/4ba units that is extremely convenient and barely more expensive than his dorm room (which is a 4 br/2ba suite).

Our DD chose a school with a 4-year residency requirement. As a varsity athlete, she'll NEED to live on campus to be near the pool and dining hall to be able to get the 4-5k calories she needs to eat daily during season! Also, since she is half-way across the country from us, we like that she'll be in safe, convenient housing throughout college.

My daughter is a swimmer as well, and she has just the opposite reaction where food is concerned:  she is genuinely concerned about being locked in to dining hall fare.  This will definitely be something we'll have to check out.  I see a lot of dining hall meals in my future--yippee!

• Like 1

Only two of my kids had the more traditional college/dorm experience.  One of them lived in the dorms just her first semester and didn't like it at all.  She moved in with her grandmother for the rest of the year, and then her aunt and uncle after that.  (They happened to live in the same city as her university.) She lived with her aunt and uncle the majority of time and paid them a token rent amount.  She loved being able to go home to her own place at the end of the day, prepare her own meals, etc.  And it was far cheaper.

My other daughter is in year two of college.  She is less independent and doesn't even have her driver's license yet.  I think she'll end up living in the dorms all four years.

Money grab.

Not cool at all. 

Big State U would be a lively campus regardless of how many undergrads live there. DD looked at some tiny LACs, and applied to one with less than 1000 students. If a significant number of a tiny student population moves off, it makes a noticeable dent in the campus energy level.

Two of DDs schools have a four year residency requirement, one requires two years, and at the largest school most kids move off after freshman year. It lines up with school size in her case.

I don't know that dorms are a profit center for a school, but residency requirements reduce their risk in building them. The motivations may be more on the lines of being a good neighbor to the town (student renters may or may not be good for the nearby neighborhood), adding to campus life, and being more attractive to out of state or foreign students who have a harder time house hunting at a distance.

• Like 2

DH and I both lived all four years on our respective campuses.  

My school had no off campus options, and as a service academy, living in company area was an intrinsic part of the leadership experience.  It's hard to be actively mentoring underclassmen if you aren't there.  Add to that the fact that there really wan't much affordable housing out in town.  I remember recent grads who were staying at the academy for temp duty struggled to find places to live for 6-12 months.  

DH's university is in a small rural town.  It's not far from a good sized city, but there isn't much else right around the university.  Most students live on campus, although there is now an apartment complex on the outskirts of campus that some upperclassmen move into.  I think the university owns the apartment complex.

When we did campus visits, one thing I asked about was the option of staying on campus.  I would like there to be enough campus housing that this is a viable option all four years.  

One consideration some of our younger friends encountered was if they were renting a house, the rent was 12 months a year or they lost the house.  The consequence of that was that our friend tended to not spend much of her summer at home.  Since she was paying rent, it made more sense to live most of the summer in the house, working and taking summer classes.  She was in a large house with 5-6 women, spread through three years at the university.  As one graduated and moved on, they recruited a new housemate.  The house rental had been going for several years.  

I am somewhat concerned by universities where there is a large off campus rental community, where students independently rent rooms in houses, and where they have no control over who their housemates are.  I wonder about things like alcohol and drug use in these neighborhoods, where student density is high, but the authority of the university doesn't apply.  Does it create a situation where the only option for dealing with drunk neighbors is to call the police?  (No RAs to assist, no dean of students, no campus security that could intervene without creating a criminal charge?)

Not a fan because I think it can be a financial burden for some people.  I only lived on campus for one semester, but I really couldn't afford it so I moved back home.  Living on campus is quite expensive. It might also be difficult to get a job if one doesn't have transportation. With all of those students in one area there are only going to be so many job openings.  I see nothing wrong with providing it and it's probably ideal for various reasons, but again, for some people it's just too expensive.

The big problem I see at my alma mater (I still live in the same town) is that housing is a cash cow. There's a lot of contracting for fancy, expensive, lots of amenities apartments with a room-lease set up (you have roommates in the apartment, but sign separate leases). There's not much affordable, no-frills basic dormitory-style housing. Which makes on-campus housing extremely unattractive from an affordability standpoint. And, the dorms (rather than leased apartments on contract with the university as student housing) they do have require students to move out on winter break, making it impractical. Having to move every 4 months (and pay extra for the privilege in summer) makes it unattractive as well.

Middle son just put a FB post on today celebrating that he gets to live on the same floor in the same dorm as his freshman year.  He'll be an RA there this time (his third year in a row as an RA, but the first "back home" to the exact floor).  He's absolutely thrilled.

Not all students want to live off campus.  This will be his fifth (and last) year on.  He's been a bit bummed that his time on campus will be coming to an end TBH.  There will be a lot of "lasts" this coming year.  He's involved and takes part in a ton of things on campus - from special dinners to various clubs.  We'll be heading there next month to watch a dance performance and juggling show he'll be in (two different things, but just two days apart from each other so we can attend both).

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that that sounds really expensive!

I lived in a Christian women's house, renting a room, my last two years. It was positive and cheap and nearby. I was basically paying a widow for a room with a bunch of other girls with similar values. It was ideal. I would not have enjoyed being in a dorm (though I think it is worth the money for the first year for many, as you get used to college life).

• Like 1

I lived on campus all four years of college. While it was required, I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way. We are hoping DS will be able to stay on campus all four years for a variety of reasons. I think that a very important aspect of college is learning about what it means to live in a community and on campus housing promotes that much more so than off campus housing. 

DS' uni is in a small town. They only guarantee on campus housing for freshmen. Off campus housing is very expensive unless you can get three or more roommates. DS needs calm and quiet for a variety of reasons and is in a single room on campus. An off campus efficiency apartment runs $700+ per month. They are barely bigger than the room he has now. Thankfully he has an on campus placement for next year. 

All of the dorms at ds' uni have kitchens. He has made use of the one in his dorm a couple of times to make cookies. Having food services is another reason we want him on campus, though. He doesn't like to cook and would likely eat more and eat healthier living on campus. 

• Like 2

I can't even imagine signing up for a university that tells students where they have to live. At mine, they dictated dorms for the first year only. Even that sucked and was ridiculous because they kicked us out over breaks...I had an off campus job and no place to stay. Also no kitchen,no ice machine,etc. I moved into an apartment asap. I knew other students who never complied with the first year requirement....they just gave a local apartment address as their permanent address and ignored the letters. IMO a university is just a place to take classes. On campus housing should only be offered as an option for the convenience of the student. It should never be a requirement.

Off campus was good for me. I had rent and utilities to pay, groceries to buy, and a job, plus classes to attend. It was a simple version of adult life. It was good preparation. IMO all much more valuable than the various clubs and activities happening on campus.

Edited by Laundrycrisis2
  • Like 3

There are a few reasons schools do this I think.  One is because it makes it economical for them to maintain that housing infrastructure, and in some places that is important.  And I think the feeling is also that being on campus allows students the best opportunity to do well in their studies - the fact is that commuting and housing worries can be a big time and energy sink for students.  And especially in liberal arts schools, they may see the whole campus life as an important part of the education - whether the student agrees or not.

In some places too there can be community problems with students in the wider neighbourhood, which could come into it.

This is not a new thing - some of the oldest universities have residency requirements of some sort.

• Like 1

I haven't read all of the replies but I think there is a difference in large public unis versus LACs having a residence requirement.  I went to an LAC and I can't imagine not living on campus.  That was part of the experience and I loved it.

My son is also at an LAC which has a three year residency requirement.  Seniors may live off campus.  His school has a wider variety of housing options but I can see him being happy in a dorm all four years.  With him being so far away, I don't want to deal with leases, furniture, cars, insurance, shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. At least I know the dorm bathroom is being cleaned on a regular basis.

Edited by ScoutermominIL
  • Like 3

It is important to consider that the term "off-campus" really means different things at different colleges/institutions.  At my Big State University, some "off-campus" housing was as physically close to classes and other activities as some of the far-flung dorms, so "off-campus" doesn't necessarily mean far-far away.  Some off-campus housing was in former private houses, but others were in private dorms, with a more dorm-like experience, for better or worse. Friends of mine, who went to school in huge urban cities, found that dorms were much, much cheaper than living in private housing in the city, but for me, private housing was much cheaper than the dorms, because of the required expensive food plans in the dorms.

So, I think it is hard to lump all "off-campus" experiences as one thing.

• Like 6

During undergrad at a small LAC I lived on campus all four years.  It was absolutely integral to the college experience for me.  In contrast I grew up next to a big state U (think top 10 in enrollment) and off campus housing was, from my current parent's perspective (as well as that of the police officer who used to be our neighbor), highly undesirable.   The amount of theft, assault, damage to property, illegal drinking and drugs, etc. was pretty impressive.  

In searching for dd we looked for colleges that offered all 4 years on campus housing options (not necessarily requirements).  At many of the small LACs the dorms all had full kitchens for student use-frequently on each floor.  

One problem I have seen with very busy or dedicated students that live off campus-they forget to eat.  With no meal plan on campus and a residence too far to run to for quick food some students skip lunch or even dinner as well when spending time in the library or lab or when wrapped up in sports or activities.  Not being used to fully independent living these young adults often don't realize how run down they are getting until they are ill or suffering from lack of sleep or difficulty concentrating.  I realize that it is impossible to picture that teen who's always found with their head in your fridge right now will forget to eat (or resist the extra cost of eating)--but it can be a very real problem, one that off campus living can make worse.

• Like 4

With him being so far away, I don't want to deal with leases, furniture, cars, insurance, shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. At least I know the dorm bathroom is being cleaned on a regular basis.

Nobody dealt with any of that for me except for the car until I graduated. I did it all myself, including finding a roommate, signing a lease and bringing home a $5 couch that required a brick under one end. I'm glad I had those experiences then. I kept that crappy couch until I bought my first house.

• Like 1

During undergrad at a small LAC I lived on campus all four years. It was absolutely integral to the college experience for me. In contrast I grew up next to a big state U (think top 10 in enrollment) and off campus housing was, from my current parent's perspective (as well as that of the police officer who used to be our neighbor), highly undesirable. The amount of theft, assault, damage to property, illegal drinking and drugs, etc. was pretty impressive.

In searching for dd we looked for colleges that offered all 4 years on campus housing options (not necessarily requirements). At many of the small LACs the dorms all had full kitchens for student use-frequently on each floor.

One problem I have seen with very busy or dedicated students that live off campus-they forget to eat. With no meal plan on campus and a residence too far to run to for quick food some students skip lunch or even dinner as well when spending time in the library or lab or when wrapped up in sports or activities. Not being used to fully independent living these young adults often don't realize how run down they are getting until they are ill or suffering from lack of sleep or difficulty concentrating. I realize that it is impossible to picture that teen who's always found with their head in your fridge right now will forget to eat (or resist the extra cost of eating)--but it can be a very real problem, one that off campus living can make worse.

This is where know your student comes into play. My kids could run our household by high school. They would t want to, but if life came crashing down, they could. Shopping and cooking while taking 18 hrs is not an ordeal for them. It is pretty simple life stuff.

My kids have also all gone to school in relatively safe environments. Off campus safety has not been a concern. Leases have been way cheaper than dorm room.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

This is where know your student comes into play. My kids could run our household by high school. 

I agree 100%.  

ALL students should be able to run a basic household by the end of their high school years IMO.  That's part of our teaching as parents.  There may be a gap or two based upon what they've experienced, but even as adults we may still find a gap or two.  Those are part of life.

My kids can certainly run our house back home or any house/apt they live in.  Yet they absolutely love dorm life and will/have stayed there four years.  Youngest is even cooking supper for us tonight - from food he's raised in his campus garden (that he started).

But just because my kids love four year campus living doesn't mean all kids will or should.

And just because Poster X's kids hated dorm living and wanted nothing to do with the rest of campus life means all kids should be like that either.

Same with any middle ground.

There's no single proper way to get an education - at home, in ps, or in college - even when at the same college.

Fit the kid/niche together for the best life for them, not us.

We'd have supported ours if they wanted to move off campus.  They simply have no desire.  They love the rest of college life too much.  Middle loves being an RA too - giving him a free room for the past two years and next year.  Can't beat that cost-wise, but we didn't "make" our youngest do it, because that life isn't him.  (Same with oldest.)

• Like 5

ALL students should be able to run a basic household by the end of their high school years IMO....

My kids can certainly run our house back home or any house/apt they live in. Yet they absolutely love dorm life and will/have stayed there four years.

I suspect running your household is a far different experience than managing ours simply bc our lives are so different. ;)

I don't know if it is our lifestyle or something else, but my kids have hated dorm life and everything about it. Living in an apt or a house has been more up their alley.

My 11th grader is dreading living in a dorm. Most require it freshman yr, so she doesn't have a choice at most schools. She has lived in dorms at summer camps, so it isn't as if she is completely ignorant of the experience. She is an introvert who wants lots of down time in private space. (My older kids are extroverts, so it isn't just that, though.)

• Like 1

During undergrad at a small LAC I lived on campus all four years.  It was absolutely integral to the college experience for me.  In contrast I grew up next to a big state U (think top 10 in enrollment) and off campus housing was, from my current parent's perspective (as well as that of the police officer who used to be our neighbor), highly undesirable.   The amount of theft, assault, damage to property, illegal drinking and drugs, etc. was pretty impressive.  

In searching for dd we looked for colleges that offered all 4 years on campus housing options (not necessarily requirements).  At many of the small LACs the dorms all had full kitchens for student use-frequently on each floor.  

One problem I have seen with very busy or dedicated students that live off campus-they forget to eat.  With no meal plan on campus and a residence too far to run to for quick food some students skip lunch or even dinner as well when spending time in the library or lab or when wrapped up in sports or activities.  Not being used to fully independent living these young adults often don't realize how run down they are getting until they are ill or suffering from lack of sleep or difficulty concentrating.  I realize that it is impossible to picture that teen who's always found with their head in your fridge right now will forget to eat (or resist the extra cost of eating)--but it can be a very real problem, one that off campus living can make worse.

The food thing is significant.  One of the reasons I lft residence was the food - it wasn't bad for cafeteria food, but it did get really bland after a while and I found the noise of the hall hard to take.  But I found once I moved out just what you suggest - going home for lunch every day, remembering to make a lunch, having things on hand, was something that could easily get pushed aside, and even with supper.  Having a irregular schedule and small budget didn't make regularity easier.  I'm fairly sure that a rather poor diet was a big contributor to my getting mono the final semester of my final year.  "Off campus" housing that is very close is different - at my school a lot of it was actually on the campus, but what I found was if budget was an issue, the closer to the campus, the more expensive.

• Like 1