Menu

What is a job/career that you feel would make you happy/unhappy?

mom2bee

I'm talking about an actual job. This is not about which job you do or don't have the credentials to perform, but one that even if you could, you'd be unhappy doing that job? What about a job that would make you happy?

Whatever happiness or unhappiness with a job means to you.

Since I imagine many of you would say one of the other you can't say "being a mom" or "being a millionaire" :D

Edited by mom2bee

I have been through a lot of jobs, and the one where I was happiest was a certain specialty in international tax consulting.  It had the right combination of learning new stuff, being respected for my existing expertise, organizing chaos into logic, science, writing, math, computer programming, foreign language, cultural exposure, nice people (but not too much of people), flexible work schedule, training and mentoring younger employees....  I left the job mainly because it required too much travel for a single mom.  The other thing that kinda sucked was the politics.  It's unfortunately not enough to be really good at what you do, to generate lots more revenue than you are paid, to make the firm look good.

• Like 2

Retail would probably make me unhappy.  Definitely high pressure sales jobs I would be miserable at.  Would NOT want to be a politician but maybe in a tiny town I would be willing to hold an office where I could hopefully actually cut through red tape and get things moving in a forward direction.

Things I would like:  Broadcast TV (BTDT; poor hours and pay but loved the job)

Speech Pathologist

Anthropologist

• Like 1

One of the few jobs I was always afraid to even try was waitress.  :)

I didn't like the job of nurse's aide at a nursing home.  I loved the people, didn't mind the work at all, but I hated the fact that there wasn't enough time to do it all, so people weren't getting the care they should.  :(

• Like 1

I would HATE anything that required me to sit in front of a computer all day, especially doing mindless work. Actually, any mindless work. I had a part-time job in a cannery while I was in college, and even though it paid better than other available part-time work, I quit after a term because I was so bored. 

I would be completely and utterly drained after a week by any job that required lots of public speaking (to adults), or lots of "networking" and social interaction. No sales!

I like what I am doing right now, education research. Different every project, I get to work with children, the work is challenging and the protocols are rigorous, flexible schedule.

I'd also really enjoy a job supporting families in need of support, whether the need is due to poverty, disability, teen parents, abuse risk. I've worked and volunteered in this field and thoroughly enjoy it. Once I am not needed so much at home, I can see myself going back into this line of work.

• Like 2

I would love to be a novelist and an historical researcher exploring mid 11th  to mid 13th century England and northern France. This is exactly what I am training to do, although the researcher will require the right opportunity. 

I would not like working in nursing, sales, in food service, or with groups of small children. Hospitals make me anxious and I worked for a vet for 5 years, pets I can handle,people no.sales, I'm not aggressive enough, food service - I burn everything, so no cooking, and I can't carry heavy trays, and I hate doing my own dishes. Small children - I like big kids better, like college age. They're fun. 

I have so many people ask if I'm going into nursing at school. Why? Because I'm an older female at school? No. I'm a history major ...and then they just nod and smile. 

• Like 2

Another job I liked was machine operator in a plastic factory.  It was pretty much the opposite of my other favorite job.  I just went in there and did the same thing over and over and over and over, about 2x per minute for 12 hours per shift.  I had to wear hearing protection, so I would sing to myself the whole time, every song I knew.  I would get into a rhythm (which improved quality of work) and be lost to the world.

It was hot and itchy (fiberglass) and my supervisor was crabby, but I didn't care.

I think that honestly, I would like any job where I was confident that I knew what I was supposed to do, and wasn't subjected to unreasonable expectations.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Retail or waitressing would make me very unhappy.  I would rather clean toilets.  

Happy?  I could be happy doing a lot of things.  If I could pick anything I would be a field archaeologist.  

I actually have chosen cleaning over retail and waitressing and would do the same every instant of the rest of my life. I'm not an actress and I actually don't care about the days of 150 total strangers to the point that I would ask, so for me, waiting tables, customer service, anything where I have to pretend I want to be your friend, would make me unhappy.

I know there are people who actually experience joy asking random people who walk in how their day was. That's not me!

Happiness for me would be being some kind of scientist and enjoying the outdoors with some indoors work but I can't afford that salary.

• Like 1

I would be unhappy working a 9-to-5 desk job in a small cubicle. I wouldn't mind some office/desk work but not 40+ hours a week. I was a CNA when I was young and I was good at it and loved the older people I cared for. I don't really want to do that now though. My dream job would be to become fluent in French and be a translator or tour guide. Yes, I think I could stand to go back to France, lol. Being a translator here would be fun, too. I studied German for four years in high school and had forgotten how much I loved learning a foreign language until I began learning French in 2013. Realistically, though, it's hard to become fluent when you're not around people enough to practice speaking and listening.

We are landlords and I would like to try flipping houses. We've done lots of work fixing up places to rent. I'm a good painter and would like to learn to lay tile and maybe a few other things. We have a really good handyman who could do whatever we can't or choose not to do. DH is in real estate and has access to listings. He keeps his eyes open for good deals that may just need some TLC.

• Like 1

I think I would like to be a high school math teacher again teaching 2 or 3 periods a day and allowed a certain amount of autonomy.

Love math, but think I would detest preparing taxes (which a few friends do on the side). Seems mind-mumblingly boring to me.

I wouldn't mind a cool customer service kind of job where you're making people's days a bit brighter. Trader Joe's or Costco?? But don't want to be on my feet 8 hours a day, so maybe part time there too!

I think I would have been happy being a PT. That is what I wanted, but it didn't fit in with living up toy parents' expectations. So I went to law school and practiced disability rights. It was a terrible fit for me because I couldn't leave work at work mentally. I was constantly stressed and worried and working longer to do more for way too many clients.

I teach swimming now. I love swimming. I have ages and I work with persons who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities. I'm hoping to work my way into a more permanent position with parks doing a variety of things (probably related to aquatics) with a variety of people.

I should have gone to PT school before I had responsibilities to a dh and DC.

I couldn't do retail or fast food. I worked in a sub shop in college. I was completely hopeless. Low end retail I think staff is treated poorly by customers. High end you have to have some sense of art or fashion to be good. I have a friend who worked at a veryhigh end store--customers sought her out. No way could I tell people how to dress. I briefly worked at a kitchen store in a mall after college. I did OK there, because I love to cook and am pretty good at it. But that was too expensive for me-- I kept using my employee discount. The same thing would happen if I worked at a bookstore. I'd be good at it but I'd buy everything.

Honestly? I don't think I'd ever be happy for long in any job. I have a Jane of all trades personality. It's one of the reasons I love being a sahm and a home educator. I can learn something or many things as deeply or shallowly as I feel inclined and then go on to learn something else or many other something elses.

I can't even claim a field of interest.

I find anthropology and sociology fascinating and read about them in my leisure.

This week I decided to dive into helping a dd paint a mural and a son is interested in solar power so we are rigging up a solar panel to heat my itty "koi" pond. I have no idea how to do either of these and that doesn't bother me at all.

Money is not an incentive for me and neither is praise - this makes job satisfaction difficult. I get nearly all my satisfaction from the process and the result. And I'm not competitive against others, but am very competitive against myself.

Don't get me wrong. I like money. It buys stuff I like to have and makes life easier. But it in itself isn't an incentive to me.

I appreciate a thank you and job well done too, but it also isn't what motivates me.

I think the world is fascinating but it's boring to be stuck doing just one thing in it.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 7

I am very happy with the job I have; I teach physics at a university.

I can imagine being happy with a number of jobs. They would have to involve intellectual stimulation and interaction with people; I am an extrovert and do not do well with solitary tasks. They would have a work environment where I would be surrounded by highly educated people with whom I can have stimulating conversations. I would have loved to be an opera singer, a public relations person for a scientific organization, a college professor in a different field.

A job in which I would be unhappy would be a job that was repetetive, monotonous, offered no intellectual challenge, and surrounded me with people who did not care about the things I care about. I absolutely hated my experiences working on an assembly line and in an industrial kitchen.

Edited by regentrude

I think it would be neat to do something in the medical field, but I know I couldn't handle working with patients. I did medical transcription when I was in college and thoroughly enjoyed that. I'd love to do that again but I understand it's a difficult job to get into now.

Anything that requires small talk would make me unhappy. So a tech call center was okay but not retail sales person. Doing the logistics part of retail was fun.

I think I would be bored by most jobs too fast to be happy. I need high adrenaline jobs so something like running a Formula One racing event, or being a stock trader, or running conventions would probably be crazy busy enough to make me happy. I don't like to have time to twiddle my toes on the job even when I was paid well even for slow days. I like jobs that are not desk bound with some amount of international traveling. I was happy with my previous job but not with the company culture prior to the company filing for bankruptcy.

I used to work in a hotel at the desk.  I learned that working in jobs where in interact with a lot of people is tiring for me.  So, I'd hate: retail, teaching, customer service, etc.  My mother is a nurse, and if the people that I've met over the years are any indication, I'd hate nursing.  Too much drama with the nurses (maybe it's not that way everywhere, I hope).

I like bringing order out of chaos.  So I'd enjoy being a professional organizer, financial organizer (I've actually been considering starting a small business of helping people get their papers together and a system for handling their finances...not financial planning, but more financial paperwork and process), or accountant.

I enjoyed learning all the medical stuff in college but did NOT enjoy clinicals. So healthcare is out for me. I am not a people person.

I've recently been really wanting to work with animals. Vet's office, animal hospital, animal shelter.. I think I would enjoy that.

That, or a novelist. Like I said, not a people person.

Dd teaches English as a second language to adults and I would enjoy that. The students are grateful for the help and dd is making a difference in their lives. Plus they pay her well. Pretty cool combo. 

I would NOT want to work for Comcast.  The company has such a bad reputation here and every time I go into their office (I had to today!) the employees look completely downtrodden.  They aren't mean or anything, they just have no emotion or enthusiasm.  When I said thank you and told the guy to have a nice day, he looked at me with suspicion. Nope. Unless I'm starving, I'm not working for Comcast. 

• Like 1

I am a special educator, and love what I do.  The only things I can imagine possibly loving more would be speech therapist, developmental pediatrician or child neuropsychologist.  

As far as jobs I would hate, I once went to A Day Out With Thomas the Tank Engine.  It was about 104 degrees in the shade, and there was a person dressed as Sir Topham Hatt, in a giant stuffed costume.  All day long little boys with heads just the height of one of his vital appendages (unless it was a female actor, I guess that's possible) were crashing into him, and dancing around his feet screaming with glee.  I'm pretty sure he couldn't actually see them because of the way his head was constructed and the fact that he had a giant belly and his neck was not bendable.

Every so often, when I am having a bad day, I reflect on the fact that I am not Sir Topham Hatt, and this puts things in perspective.  

• Like 13

I'd like to work in various shops that are owned by a small business owner. I do NOT want to work for a big company ever, ever, ever. I do NOT want the stress of owning a business. But I would like to help an owner with their business. I could put in my time and go home, stress free. I'd like to do whatever they asked that needed to be done so that they would say, "Wow, we just couldn't do this without you!" I'd like to be able to have lots of ideas that would help make the business better. ("How about we arrange the window this way?" "How about we stack those items there instead of here?"). But then I could go home.

If I can work directly with the owner, when decisions are made, they're sensible ones (hopefully) and not just something that a CEO 52 levels above me decided and she has no idea how that actually affects me. If I'm working directly for the owner, then we both know what will make the business better and I can support that without the responsibility.

For example, I live 15 minutes from a small town tourist destination. I would like to work at the candy shop there, or one of the antique shops, or at the tchotchkes shop or at the book shop or the comic shop. Those places are independent stores with a single owner who needs to hire help. I'd love to work at any of those stores and then maybe move on if I get bored with one of them. I would never want to own one.

Or, I'd love to do secretarial work for a business that isn't a store. Helping to come up with filing systems. Sending out letters. Answering the phone. (As long as the customers aren't going to be furious every time I answer. I used to have to answer phones for a health insurance company. Never again! Talk about furious customers! Ay yi yi!). The dream part of this is that the owner would let me tell her my ideas and implement the good ones.

And on the weekends and evenings, I'd write books. Eventually, I'd write enough that I could quit the jobs in the shops after I had my fun working at them and helping the owners make their stores/businesses nice.

Edited by Garga

I would really enjoy being a lobbyist or working on political campaigns. I've done a little bit of that work and it suited me but it doesn't suit being in one place. I'd also love to be a pollster or statistician. Working for a large foundation or running a small foundation would be something I would like.

I hate sales and it's non-profit equivalent of fundraising. I know I hate it because I did the latter for too long of a stretch. Never.again.

Edited by LucyStoner

I am a special educator, and love what I do. The only things I can imagine possibly loving more would be speech therapist, developmental pediatrician or child neuropsychologist.

As far as jobs I would hate, I once went to A Day Out With Thomas the Tank Engine. It was about 104 degrees in the shade, and there was a person dressed as Sir Topham Hatt, in a giant stuffed costume. All day long little boys with heads just the height of one of his vital appendages (unless it was a female actor, I guess that's possible) were crashing into him, and dancing around his feet screaming with glee. I'm pretty sure he couldn't actually see them because of the way his head was constructed and the fact that he had a giant belly and his neck was not bendable.

Every so often, when I am having a bad day, I reflect on the fact that I am not Sir Topham Hatt, and this puts things in perspective.

I had a good long laugh at this post. I will remember to think, "At least I'm not Sir Topham Hatt," the next time I have a bad day.

I love teaching as long as I have autonomy and reasonably supportive parents (not necessarily all students who qualify for the Angel choir, but parents who understand that their kids aren't perfect).

I would hate doing retail almost anything. I barely tolerate helping DD with the fundraisers she does at reptile expos. I hated selling Girl Scout cookies as a kid, too-which is one reason why DD isn't a Girl Scout!

I am a special educator, and love what I do.  The only things I can imagine possibly loving more would be speech therapist, developmental pediatrician or child neuropsychologist.  

As far as jobs I would hate, I once went to A Day Out With Thomas the Tank Engine.  It was about 104 degrees in the shade, and there was a person dressed as Sir Topham Hatt, in a giant stuffed costume.  All day long little boys with heads just the height of one of his vital appendages (unless it was a female actor, I guess that's possible) were crashing into him, and dancing around his feet screaming with glee.  I'm pretty sure he couldn't actually see them because of the way his head was constructed and the fact that he had a giant belly and his neck was not bendable.

In a former life, I worked in a bookstore, doing inventory-type stuff. I came in at 5 or 6 am and shelved books, pulled publisher returns, set up displays, ordered books, etc.  I wasn't terribly good at customer service, but I did enjoy the occasional opportunity to wear a costume for themed story hours. Something about wearing a giant fake head made it much easier to interact with customers. :)

My dream job would probably be reference librarian in an academic library. I like searching for bits of information. 

• Like 1

I liked totally absorbing jobs where I can lose myself in them, or mindless jobs so I can listen to music and podcasts.  

I love handwriting and would like to hand-letter books or cards and so on.  I like creating programs that speed products to market.  But I don't like maintaining the programs.  

I had a job writing fortune cookie fortunes and that was a blast.  And the most $/hour I ever made in a $/hour job, too. 

I liked teaching until they started delivering the lesson plans from Central HQ.  That took all the fun out of it.  That and crazy parents.  

I got fired from every waitress job I ever had.  

I would never ever ever ever make it as a lawyer, doctor, nurse, accountant.  Not a snowball's chance.  And probably not one that was endless small talk, even if I liked what I was doing while I did it.  Like driving a shuttle for a company.  I could drive the software engineers but not the PR people.  LOL.  :0)

I became a Counselor (School) because I love counseling.  My next step was to become a School Psychologist, but it didn't work out before we moved and here in NC, I would have to start all over again and there aren't that many jobs available.

So, I will stick with Counseling, preferably either actual counseling (vs. academic and college/career) or inner city, which is where I thrive.

I would hate to be a garbage collector or a septic tank inspector/cleaner.

I would love to be paid to be a mentor/patient advocate for parents of special needs kids and/or foster/adopt parents, of parents in crisis. Not full time but helping them out and navigating the system. I love medical stuff but have no desire to go back to school.

I wish jobs that used to pay a living wage still did.

• Like 1

I would hate any job where I had to make small talk. Sales, realtor, hairdresser, taxi driver, barista, etc. etc. I worked a brief temp job as a receptionist when I was younger and that was torture for the same reason.

I would hate accounting or anything super detail-oriented with numbers. I had to take a couple of accounting courses for my last paid position and I wanted to shoot myself!

I would hate housekeeping/janitorial/dry cleaning/etc. work.

I'm studying to become a speech & language pathologist and I *HOPE* I'll like being one.

• Like 1

I actually think I would really enjoy project management. I looked into it pre-kids. It's high stress and hard, but I think I would actually be cut out for it, and it pays very, very nicely from what I hear. I kind of regret not looking any further into it, but I don't see it really fitting into my chosen lifestyle at this point, even post-kids. 

Oh, or one of those paid organizers/declutterers, I would LOVE to do that. Now, that is something I could consider doing post-little-kids lol. 

I couldn't handle anything which requires me to be entirely 'switched on' socially the whole time. My husband can, he did retail and thrived in it, but I need time to just space out and clear my head frequently

Edited by abba12

I would hate any job where I had to make small talk. Sales, realtor, hairdresser, taxi driver, barista, etc. etc. I worked a brief temp job as a receptionist when I was younger and that was torture for the same reason.

I would hate accounting or anything super detail-oriented with numbers. I had to take a couple of accounting courses for my last paid position and I wanted to shoot myself!

I would hate housekeeping/janitorial/dry cleaning/etc. work.

I'm studying to become a speech & language pathologist and I *HOPE* I'll like being one.

We move a lot so I only used her a few times, but my favorite hairdresser was deaf and communicated via writing, so there was no pressure to do small talk. Plus, she was good, but I might have asked for her card even if it was just OK!!!

I also hated my accounting class. Why write everything twice?

Edited by ElizabethB

I would hate being a long haul truck driver. I do not enjoy driving that much, the longer the drive, the less I like it, and the larger the car or truck, the less happy I am about it. I would take any menial wage job over driving a big truck, no matter how mindless or hard.

I liked all my jobs in the Air Force, there were a variety and I always had enough autonomy to problem solve and work on interesting challenges. I worked as a Chemist because I had a Biology degree, then as a statistician, I took night Industrial Engineering courses and learned extra statistics from senior statisticians at the beginning. My last job was challenging and interesting, going to foreign airfields with an AF team and dealing with any number of challenges, a new challenge every day, although as an introvert I had to hide out before and after big trips and sometimes take a few extra minutes in the bathroom for my sanity, especially if sharing a room or living in tents.

I love being a volunteer tutor and enjoy homeschooling.

I think I would be happy in anything that was paid, largely required one on one communication, and where I could be largely autonomous. And have flexible working hours.

If anyone knows what that job is ( it sounds like homeschooling to me, except for the pay part! ) please tell me what it is !!!

My favourite job out of the few I've actually had, was being a chambermaid. Mindless work that gave satisfaction to do and complete, but let me think and compose in my head all day. Workmates for sociability, but the actual work done my own way, on my own timetable. Queen of the hotel room!

Of course, I was 18 then. I don't think it's a job I could do now. Nor does it pay very well.

Tutoring!

• Like 1

I LOVE my job at a specialty coffee shop. We actually compete in coffee and are ranked top 5 in the nation. It is down right fun. Artistry, science, a whole lot of extroversion in specific time slots then going home and hiding. Super close staff, but lots of training and unpaid work tasting and trying coffee, fetting geeked out about esoteric things. Lots of people do not get coffee-geekery.

If I could do anything, I'd be a travel blogger. Taking gorgeous pictures of interesting, flashy locals, eating food from all over the world, learning different languages. I know I am romanticizing it, but my fantasy seems glorious!

• Like 2

We move a lot so I only used her a few times, but my favorite hairdresser was deaf and communicated via writing, so there was no pressure to do small talk. Plus, she was good, but I might have asked for her card even if it was just OK!!!

I also hated my accounting class. Why write everything twice?

I also like my deaf hair dresser.  :)

My kids had a preschool teacher who was deaf.  Interestingly, the kids did not realize she was deaf.  She was very patient, and I guess not having to hear crabby utterances might have been part of that.  :)

• Like 1

I also like my deaf hair dresser. :)

My kids had a preschool teacher who was deaf. Interestingly, the kids did not realize she was deaf. She was very patient, and I guess not having to hear crabby utterances might have been part of that. :)

Not hearing crabby utterances!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It varies by MBTI type, here is a quick chart, there are better ones out there. I am an INTP.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-jobs-for-every-personality-2014-9

I found a more extensive list that looks promising.

http://cms.bsu.edu/about/administrativeoffices/careercenter/explore/assessment/typefocus/whatpersonality

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I have decided that I am such a generalist.  I like knowing a little bit about everything that's going on in a given place or about a certain subject and being able to figure out what people are looking to know and direct them to experts, or head off problems due to conflicting information being passed around.  I like finding information or stuff for people and telling them where to go or how to get it.  I like giving leads and talking to people broadly about a subject (like homeschooling, say, or when I just had babies, alll the different kinds of cloth diapers and what or how they worked).

As an example, when DH was in the hospital, I was able to really manage his care and figure out when someone made a mistake or told us conflicting info and I was able to track down the right people to talk to and straighten stuff out.  I'm not a doctor, or a nurse, and I don't want to be one or interfere with their jobs, but I know just enough to google and I'm really good at paying attention to what everyone is saying and cataloging it in my mind so that I can cross reference it later with what other people say.

I don't really know what kind of job this is, if there is one, so if anyone has any ideas...I'm open to hear them.  I think maybe it would be like being an office manager, but maybe something slightly more involved than that?

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 1