Menu

Would this be worth a pay cut for your family?

ktgrok

My husband's department may get cut, may get moved to another state, or may be restructured (in which case he'd get a promotion probably). So....chances are something bad is going to happen, but it might be good. His boss is trying hard to work things in the department's favor, but also said to keep an eye out for other jobs. 

There is an opportunity with another company, a very very large company that is headquartered here. The envrionment sounds fantastic. Great perks, cheap healthy food options on campus, on on site gym for very little money, an on site doctor, etc etc. But, it might mean a salary cut of about 9K a year. 

However, there is a bonus structure, that is written out clearly that may make up for that. AND a probably signing bonus for the first year. But, biggest of all, we got a look at the insurance options. Instead of one carrier with two bad options there are 4 carriers to pick from with 5 plans each. The highest plan is a little more in premiums than we pay now but.....ZERO deductible and ZERO co-insurance and max out of pocket that is 1,500 a person and 3,000 a family. Our current insurance has a 12K deductible per family, and after that we still pay 20%. And we don't have copays now, we just pay the full amount of all doctor's appts until we hit that deductible. The plan at the possible new job has copays of $20 for regular visit, $35 specialty. We'd actually be able to afford to go to the doctor when we are sick!!! 

There are also options that have the same premium we have now, but with a lower dedutible than we have now, and lower max out of pocket than we have now. 

So....IF things go well, and it looks like they will, this will be the decision. Atlhough, they want to discuss another position with him as well that wouldn't be a salary cut, so there is that as well. 

But if it is a salary cut, would the bonuses (18 percent salary a year) and the no deductible, low copays balance it out? 

• Like 5

Worth pursuing, for sure. Not having to relocate is worth a lot to me. You might find that if they want him they'll make the salary numbers work.  The stress of working at an uncertain job can be awful so I'd do what it takes to avoid that. 

The recruiter he's working with tried, but for the position he applied for they can't go over a certain number, supposedly. However, they now want to talk to him about a different position, one that is sort of equivalent, but would have a higher salary, so I'm thinking they don't want to lose him over the salary issue and will figure something out. 

• Like 14

Excellent insurance is a very good trade off. Plus, if the bonuses are a fairly sure thing - I'd say go for it.

DH does the hiring for his company in the U.S., and they give generous bonuses and excellent insurance. As in, they pay everything. Yes - whole family, all premiums, and they make the policy whole by depositing the entire deductible in an HSA. Once that's met, to the ins co - no copays on doc visits or meds. OOP cost to employees is essentially zero, unless wanting a lot of alternative meds. Anyway, all that to say ... We're always shocked when potential employees can't see the value, and want to quibble over a few thousand dollars. It's okay, and if it's a great potential hire, DH can work around it, but overall in his company - health care is viewed as compensation as well as salary. In fact, the entire, very generous package is.

I would definitely consider that offer, based on what you wrote!

• Like 5

The bonus and the better health plan would be worth the pay cut.  When hubby's previous employer was retrenching, the severance package wasn't even worth waiting for. We were glad he grab the job offer that came by instead of waiting. Those that waited had a harder time getting a job. Besides the annual pay rise also made up for his starting pay.  His current company have a generous HSA plan and lower employee premium so we save a lot in healthcare costs.

• Like 3

Having just gone thru DH job loss with a severance package, out of state move, and finally, FINALLY getting into our new house, I would tell you to take the chances with the new job, even with a pay cut.

Good luck. Uncertainty with jobs and the future really stinks.

Exactly. And we would NOT relocate. It just isn't an option. The other office is in Atlanta, and we just do not want to live there. At all. And our family is here. So if that happens we'd be stuck having him look for a new job. Luckily he's employable. 

• Like 2

Bonuses are taxed differently, so factor that in, but cheaper, better health care would be definitely worth considering! Relocating is extremely expensive even with a package, so unless the new job paid significantly more in a comparable COL area...

Good luck. Stressful time of year to be worrying about this! :grouphug:

It sounds like it is worth jumping to the new opportunity if it pans out, particularly if it is likely to be stable (no layoffs, downsizing).

They have a fairly new head of Information Security, and they are doing some building up, actually. It seems the higher ups have wanted to move ahead in that area and the old one wasn't looking to the future. It actually sounds like a very exciting, supportive environment. 

A friend who interviewed there last week said it was very much like you hear about with say, Google, with the open concept (my husband is an extrovert, he'd love that), benefits, etc. They also have flex hours, so although there is a core time they need to be there, the hours other than that are flexible as far as come in early leave early or go in later and leave later, etc. 

• Like 5

Wait. Didn't you post recently about wanting to relocate? This might be a great chance to explore that option. Maybe there's something better out there in another place? I would at least want to take a peek, especially since you were wanting to leave.

Just a thought :)

I was thinking about moving out of the country, but right now we need to be near family. An out of the country move is years off :(

It sounds like it might be worth it. The gym membership and food only have value if you already have a gym membership and buy lunches. However the health insurance sounds like it will make enough of a significant difference to make it worth while. Have you played with a budget to see what things the $9k would cut back for you?

I think as long as you can afford to pay the bills a happy work environment is worth a lot.

• Like 3

Assuming the work itself is something that works for him and this new company is stable, it sounds like a good trade-off and I'd go for it.  I would not go for it just for the insurance; the job itself would have to be a positive move.

My husband's department may get cut, may get moved to another state, or may be restructured (in which case he'd get a promotion probably). So....chances are something bad is going to happen, but it might be good. His boss is trying hard to work things in the department's favor, but also said to keep an eye out for other jobs. 

There is an opportunity with another company, a very very large company that is headquartered here. The envrionment sounds fantastic. Great perks, cheap healthy food options on campus, on on site gym for very little money, an on site doctor, etc etc. But, it might mean a salary cut of about 9K a year. 

However, there is a bonus structure, that is written out clearly that may make up for that. AND a probably signing bonus for the first year. But, biggest of all, we got a look at the insurance options. Instead of one carrier with two bad options there are 4 carriers to pick from with 5 plans each. The highest plan is a little more in premiums than we pay now but.....ZERO deductible and ZERO co-insurance and max out of pocket that is 1,500 a person and 3,000 a family. Our current insurance has a 12K deductible per family, and after that we still pay 20%. And we don't have copays now, we just pay the full amount of all doctor's appts until we hit that deductible. The plan at the possible new job has copays of $20 for regular visit, $35 specialty. We'd actually be able to afford to go to the doctor when we are sick!!! 

There are also options that have the same premium we have now, but with a lower dedutible than we have now, and lower max out of pocket than we have now. 

So....IF things go well, and it looks like they will, this will be the decision. Atlhough, they want to discuss another position with him as well that wouldn't be a salary cut, so there is that as well. 

But if it is a salary cut, would the bonuses (18 percent salary a year) and the no deductible, low copays balance it out? 

• Like 2

I don't know your husband's salary so I don't know what that means. IIRC it is in the six figure range. To me, if that's the range, I would absolutely take the cut for the quality of life. I absolutely would not move from a beloved home for the sake of $9k.

And doesn't the deductible already cancel out the salary loss? What the actual hell is up with that deductible? Do they also offer free Sriracha enemas? Jesus! I know some people have private insurance as individuals that have huge deductibles but whoa.

Congrats to your husband on this opportunity. It sounds like it could be great for your family. If you're worried about cash flow, cut down on 401k for a while as you figure it out and then slowly phase it back in, or maybe trade in a car so you can have one paid off if you don't already. Something ugly and cheap.

Edited to add: Obviously if the salary were $40k and we were going up to $49 or better yet 42 to 51... yes I might move. That's kind of a different question though.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 6

Just to clarify, it's a common misconception that bonuses are taxed at a higher rate. They're not. People think that because, if they don't request a different withholding rate for the bonus, they often get a huge chunk taken withheld in taxes (which they subsequently recoup when they file taxes). I used to get a huge chunk of my salary in bonus. You just change your withholding to avoid the issue. But yes, I would take the new job.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 12

I think it sounds like a good move. If you're concerned about the pay cut and what that would do to your budget, I'd start trying it out immediately. We make a new budget each month (more like tweak a standard budget, but still--we look at the numbers every month), to account for variability in income and outgo (overtime, bonuses, variable bills, etc), so I'd figure out what that $9k/year looks like monthly and adjust our budget--beginning in January, if I couldn't the numbers to work halfway through this month. I'm almost positive we could find that amount to come out of our monthly budget, even without decreasing the amount we save each month. And we actually could decrease the amount we save each month, because in your scenario, we'd be saving some each month in case of medical bills until we met that deductible, and we wouldn't have to do that anymore with the new health insurance plan.

In the meantime, while you're trying out the paycut but still receiving the normal salary, you're saving that "extra" to serve as a cushion in case there are any expenses associated with the transition, or in case you have an oopsy or two while adjusting to the lower budget.

• Like 3

I would go for it for the good health insurance policy. I like not having to worry about medical expenses and to be able to do what we needed. The job security is another peace of mind. It sounds like with bonuses that it may not be a cut anyway. I would go for something like that especially since the other job is at risk.

Edited by MistyMountain

The decision should not be made solely on the basis of which insurance plans are available, or the salary.  IMHO, THE MOST IMPORTANT thing is whether or not your DH would be happy working in the new company. The grass is always greener, until you get to the other side of the mountain and you see what it is like there.  Your DH understands the problems and politics of the company he works for now. He has only a glimpse of what it would be like to work in the other company.

Other things that must be taken into consideration are where they might move him to and how the COL compares, between your current location and that location. The package they might offer your family (to purchase your current house, to pay your moving and exploration expenses, etc.)

I have more than one colleague who changed jobs and lived to regret that decision, greatly.  GL

• Like 5

Just to clarify, it's a common misconception that bonuses are taxed at a higher rate. They're not. People think that because, if they don't request a different withholding rate for the bonus, they often get a huge chunk taken withheld in taxes (which they subsequently recoup when they file taxes). I used to get a huge chunk of my salary in bonus. You just change your withholding to avoid the issue. But yes, I would take the new job.

Thank you! You saved me googling bcause I was wondering about that.

It sounds like it might be worth it. The gym membership and food only have value if you already have a gym membership and buy lunches. However the health insurance sounds like it will make enough of a significant difference to make it worth while. Have you played with a budget to see what things the $9k would cut back for you?

I think as long as you can afford to pay the bills a happy work environment is worth a lot.

He does have a gym membership, and does buy lunch usually. He doesn't mind taking lunch, but then he ends up eating alone and like I said, he's an extrovert. He likes to "go to lunch" with people at work. This place is the headquarters for a national company that owns 5 different restaurant chains, so they have the test kitchens there as well as a food court of all their restaurants. And every meal is $5. So at least a few times a week he could eat down there with coworkers, for a reasonable price. Versus now, when he and coworkers walk to one of the trendy restaurants downtown. He usually keeps it reasonable but just a burger is 8-10 dollars most places. So this would be about half that. 

As for cutting back, we could cut back on groceries and a few other things. We buy a lot of "wants" now that we don't have to. We've certainly lived on less. When we got married he was making less than half of what he makes now, only 7 years ago. 

• Like 2

I agree that the tipping point here would be whether the one of us taking the job liked the actual job - not the perks of the job.  Perks only go so far.

If he liked the job, I'd definitely support switching.  The perks would be a bonus making up for the salary.

That kind of is the question. He has a phone screening tomorrow at 10:30, and can ask some questions then. so far he is going through a recruiter and also talking to a friend (and coworker) who is applying there and further in the process. The job he originally was looking at with the pay drop would be doing something he really likes doing. A lot. He does it a bit now, but it would be focused on that. The job that they are trying to steer him towards is probably the same job he does now, which he does like but is kind of a catchall term, so it will take some discussion to see exactly what the job entails. 

I have done some research and the company is consistently ranked a good place to work. I'd like that for him. Right now, every morning he has a harder and harder time getting out of bed to go to work. It's hard to go in and give it your all when you know the new higher ups don't value your contribution. (not his personally, the new top IT people don't value the entire idea of an information security department. Which is ludicrous. They keep saying, why would someone hack us, we just sell  _________".  Um, they don't care what you sell, they want to the data. Sigh.)

• Like 5

The insurance change wouldn't be worth it, by itself, unless you go to the doctor frequently.  Our family has a doctor visit about 1, every other year, so for us it would a loser.  But if you have chronic conditions, it might be a big winner.

The other stuff is less tangible, so I wouldn't count them, unless money doesn't mean anything to you.

The bonus structure is easy enough to figure up, and might more than make up for the pay cut.  You'd need to check the tax implications of that.

At a salary of $50K the 18% bonus equals the $9K cut in base pay. If the salary is higher and your dh earns the bonus, he'll actually bring home more. The better health insurance would make the break even point even lower in terms of salary.

My dh earns about half his pay in bonus and partnership distributions. It does mean that our entire take home pay is uncertain and that it comes in a huge chunk in March instead of in nice, bi-weekly deposits. OTOH, it is much easier to save a bonus because you get a big payout and you invest it and you're done. You don't have to take money out of your bank account every month and you have much less temptation to spend it.

• Like 1

My dh works at a place with a bonus structure. It's a guaranteed lump sum of money. Now, how much exactly is not guaranteed, but he gets a target range. If he meets or exceeds on his evaluations, he always gets at the top end of the range. My understanding is that some people get lower if they're really struggling, but for the vast majority of employees, it's just something you financially plan for. And if it's a little more, yay! And if it's at the lower end, that's okay, you still have your base salary. Dh likes it. And, as pointed out above, it's not taxed differently or anything. You really just have to financially plan for it. But it can be useful for things that come around once a year - like property taxes. It's like, that bonus is for the property taxes, that one is for Christmas, etc. etc. and then you don't have to think about it in your regular budget planning.

• Like 2

The insurance change wouldn't be worth it, by itself, unless you go to the doctor frequently.  Our family has a doctor visit about 1, every other year, so for us it would a loser.  But if you have chronic conditions, it might be a big winner.

The other stuff is less tangible, so I wouldn't count them, unless money doesn't mean anything to you.

The bonus structure is easy enough to figure up, and might more than make up for the pay cut.  You'd need to check the tax implications of that.

I just had another 12 suspicious lesions frozen off/biopsied at the dermatologist, and have another ongoing issue I need to take care of with her. Plus littles that get ear infections a few times a year, an older that gets usually two to three sinus infections a year,  and between the 3 kids we've had two broken arms, a broken elbow, two broken vertebrae, a broken finger, a torn tendon, a possible skull fracture (that wasn't one, thankfully) and countless other random things. So yeah...we go to the doctor :)

Edited to add my husband also had bilateral inguinal hernia sx this year, on top of my admittedly elective weight loss surgery. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

• Being able to stay in your own house and neighborhood
  • Better insurance (would equal out much of the pay cut)
  • Better perks
  • Potential for bonuses to make up pay cut
  • Advancement opportunities (?)
  • Stability

VS

• NO JOB!

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.  DH lost his job in 2009.  He found carpentry work at first for a few months, then a job making about 65% less than what he was making at his original job.  We lived mostly off our savings for two years.  Thankfully, God answered our prayers and two years later, his original job asked him back with a $5M raise to boot.  I say, go for it!  The stress of uncertainty is not worth the $9,000 you may lose.

• Like 1

To clarify, his salary now is 109,000. This place is saying 100,000 would be the max they can do for the position he applied for. Which still sounds like a ton, although when you factor in our 12K in medical premiums this year, another 12K in deductible that we actually met, plus $900 a month in student loans, plus cost of living I promise you we are not wealthy. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't factor the insurance in too heavily. That's the kind of plan we've always had, plus my husband's company made contributions to our flex savings accounts. No longer. We're now on a high deductible plan, which seems to be the current trend.

Insurance benefits can change from year to year. I wouldn't count on something like that stay the same. Also, unless the cadillac tax gets pushed off, there will be a huge incentive for employers to discontinue offering high cost plans to employees. It is supposed to take effect in 2018.

• Like 1

To clarify, his salary now is 109,000. This place is saying 100,000 would be the max they can do for the position he applied for. Which still sounds like a ton, although when you factor in our 12K in medical premiums this year, another 12K in deductible that we actually met, plus $900 a month in student loans, plus cost of living I promise you we are not wealthy. 

Then, this offer is actually a $9K raise, just paid differently throughout the year and dependent on meeting his work objectives.

• Like 4

Can he talk to current employees and see how regular that bonus is? DH works for a major company where, somehow, they seem to have "record years" that are also "not good enough for a bonus" every single year. I swear it's like a Dilbert cartoon. I rather hope new hires aren't counting on that bonus to make ends meet.

• Like 1

Then, this offer is actually a $9K raise, just paid differently throughout the year and dependent on meeting his work objectives.

Good point. And he's a VERY hard worker, and people love him. A lot of this field is about networking, and he's done very well in that regard. And gives talks at local tech schools about his field, is on the board of an FBI/Private sector partnership in cyber security, etc. He just needs a place that appreciates him. Generally, his direct managers always do, to the point the old ones are constantly trying to recruit him to various jobs, but the higher ups are the harder sell. This place seems to have buy in at the top levels as far as the importance of information security. That would be amazing for him. 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else. Medical costs can be so unpredictable and having a good health insurance plan would give me peace of mind. If I were in your shoes I would likely take the job. The added benefit of a good work environment would be extremely appealing. When Daddy is happy at work it trickles down into the home.

Good luck!

• Like 1

As someone for whom $9k would be a 1/3 family income cut, and whose husband is unable to work and getting sicker, and who has not had medical coverage for almost 18 years for herself and 12 years for her children, and who has a child who was diagnosed this year with a life-threatening condition, and who may now be facing losing coverage for that child because of some loophole in the ACA, I must say this sounds like a delightful decision to be making. 

I wouldn't hesitate to choose the benefits package over the money. 

• Like 1