Menu

How do you imagine Jesus? Does it matter to you how he looked?

38carrots

As a child I imagined him to look like the statue I saw in a church. Somewhere else I saw a painting and then revised my mental picture. LOL Nowadays, I "see" Him more in terms of attributes rather than a concrete face with features. I "see" Him as compassion, as a loving father, as a protector, as being just, etc.

• Like 9

No, it doesn't matter to me really.

I always picture him like the painting in my Sunday school.  Tanned, long brown hair with no friz even though it appeared to be a dry climate, very clean and kind looking, a beard the seems to get regularly combed.

Totally unrealistic in all likelihood.

• Like 4

I don't really "picture" Jesus at all, but it's pretty obvious that he wasn't white.

It matters to me that the particular Caucasian-style inaccuracy is based on racist ideals of beauty and goodness -- being simply inaccurate isn't the same as that.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 8

Although on an intellectual level, I know that Jesus probably looked more like this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

From a lifetime of religious artwork, I imagine him as a more fair skinned, tall, good looking person.  It's funny, how I assume Jesus would be good looking too, not plain.

I imagine him as good looking too.  He was a perfect man after all.

• Like 2

I'm a non-Christian, but I still have a mental picture of Jesus. I imagine he looked like the picture that's been floating around, but with long hair. I can't seem to get rid of the idea that he had hippie hair.

I saw someone online yesterday make the argument that since his friends had names like Luke and John, obviously Jesus was white.  :banghead:  There was so much incorrect about that statement, I didn't even know how to reply.

• Like 14

I don't really "picture" Jesus at all, but it's pretty obvious that he wasn't white.

It matters to me that the particular Caucasian-style inaccuracy is based on racist ideals of beauty and goodness -- being simply inaccurate isn't the same as that.

"White" is a pretty broad term. 

I was never taught much of the surfer Jesus thing. My churches didn't depict Jesus anywhere but felt boards for children's church. But my brain makes him a short, dark Jewish man with warm eyes and a warmer smile.

Well, if Jesus was Jewish in the first century I imagine he looked like every other Jewish man in that area. 

I used to think of God in heaven as old with a white beard and then thought to myself one day, "What if he looks like young black man--probably really tall, like a basketball player.  With a bald head."

For a minute it took me back and I thought, "No...God can't look like that." 

And then I thought, "Eh, why not." 

After that little game in my own mind, I don't give a fig what Jesus/God looks like. He's God no matter what he looks like.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

My mental physical image is that of the large painting we had in the entrance lobby of our school.  It is actually the expression in his face and body language which so fascinated/captivated me as a child that I recall when thinking about Jesus.  He was probably more "white" - lean, tall, lighter skin although tan, and I think light brown eyes - in the picture.

Logically I know that he was Jewish and would look such, but I still picture him like that painting.  It's kind of like I still picture my elementary school teachers (well some of them) as they were when I attended.  I know they have aged and whatnot but in my head they look just like they look then.

Going forward, I like to see paintings/statues/prints/movies/etc. show a more accurate portrayal of Jesus' ethnicity, but I am not bothered by inaccuracies.  Well, other than to be specifically offensive. 

• Like 1

I don't care or think about his physical looks.

But when I was growing up my parents had this picture hanging in our house-the one of the long hair, bearded Jesus standing at the door knocking. Christian Book.com  link to that picture. So it's the one stuck in my mind, even though I realized long ago it's not realistic. I don't think he's blue eyed in that picture or anyone I've ever seen though. 

• Like 1

When I was growing up, our faith tradition emphasized the not knowing about Jesus's appearance, even to the extent of condemning attempted artistic renderings. We were often read this quote from Isaiah and told it meant that Jesus was very ordinary looking, maybe even a little ugly, because that was the opposite of what would be expected. After all,"God does not look on the outward appearance but the heart."

Isaiah 53

…2For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. 3He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

i have no personal opinion on this subject.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 3

There's been a rendition of Jesus going around FB lately.  I kind of like it!  He'd probably be skinnier though, I imagine.  We have a print called "Laughing Jesus" which is your traditional looking Jesus in the middle of a deep belly laugh.  I really like that one!  He's always portrayed so solemnly, but I like the laughing picture because he was also human and surely had a sense of humor and enjoyed the occasional chuckle, who doesn't?

• Like 1

I grew up thinking of the white guy version, just like most Americans (or at least, white ones) in the 1980s. I don't think that's nuts. It's how he has appeared in European art for thousands  of years.  I was really confused by "Black Jesus" for a long time as a kid --- I didn't get it --- now I know, I was doing the same thing! Irony alert!!  But really. It's OK.  It's still OK to think of the guy however you want.  Historical accuracy is not the important thing here, I don't think*. 

* Unless you are bigoted against Middle Eastern people.  Then we get that irony alert again.

I grew up thinking of the white guy version, just like most Americans (or at least, white ones) in the 1980s. I don't think that's nuts. It's how he has appeared in European art for thousands  of years.  I was really confused by "Black Jesus" for a long time as a kid --- I didn't get it --- now I know, I was doing the same thing! Irony alert!!  But really. It's OK.  It's still OK to think of the guy however you want.  Historical accuracy is not the important thing here, I don't think*. 

* Unless you are bigoted against Middle Eastern people.  Then we get that irony alert again.

I think this is true to a point.  It's only recently that we have a global enough perspective to think about what he looked like as compared to his ethnicity.  Before that, people tended to picture him looking a lot like they looked.  Which makes a lot of sense if 99% of the people you have ever seen look like that and you have no photos or tv.  In your mind, that is what people look like.

On the other hand, Christianity teaches, and history seems to agree, that he was an actual, individual person.  So - he looked like himself. There is a theological distinction here because there can be a tendency to see him as a kind of idea, as if his body wasn't  a "real" part of him.  This idea can easily, and often is, related to some of the classic Christological heresies. 

• Like 5

I'll be honest, it annoys me when He is depicted as a white guy.  Especially here in my area where people try to use the Bible as an excuse to be racist.  Half the people I know that claim to be Christian wouldn't let someone that shared an ethnicity with Jesus into their home.  I wish they realized the hypocrisy in that. 

Then there is the whole stupid thing in a lot of traditional Baptist circles in which men shouldn't have long hair and should be clean shaven.  And yet there is a big ol' bearded, long haired white Jesus picture hanging in the church ???  

• Like 9

I'm a non-Christian, but I still have a mental picture of Jesus. I imagine he looked like the picture that's been floating around, but with long hair. I can't seem to get rid of the idea that he had hippie hair.

I saw someone online yesterday make the argument that since his friends had names like Luke and John, obviously Jesus was white. :banghead: There was so much incorrect about that statement, I didn't even know how to reply.

Oh gosh!

I can't remember her name, but there is that little girl who came back from the dead and then started to draw Jesus.  I saw one of those drawings and I instantly felt, "Yes!, that is Jesus"  They were pencil drawings so no color.  I don't think I have much color in my brain.   Not just skin color, but color in general.  So I can't say what shade of skin.  

The first image that comes to mind is this one:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/images/jesus-christ-39623?lang=eng

because I love this painting and the expression in His eyes.

But I recognize that He likely looks more Semitic than that. I've always loved this painting of the boy Jesus:

http://www.christcenteredmall.com/stores/art/swindle/zoom_the_lamb_of_god.htm

both because the artist tried to depict him more as he might have been, perhaps at the age he was to become a son of the law(ETA bar mitzvah), and also for the symbolism of him carrying the sacrificial lamb to the temple, he who was the Lamb of God.

It really doesn't matter what He looks like, but it is interesting to consider. I once heard that Christ is often depicted as fairer skinned than normal for a Semitic man because his ancestor David is described as "ruddy" in the Bible, so there was some tradition that that family line was lighter-skinned and redder-cheeked than average.

Edited by La Condessa

Don't laugh, but as a kid I always pictured him kind of looking like Omar Sharif with long hair and a full beard. I knew Jesus was from Palestine and my vision of what Middle Easterners looked like was heavily shaped by Sharif.

Although I try not to have set pictures of the prophets in my head, Moses (peace be upon him) is always Charlton Heston to me!

Edited by idnib
  • Like 4

Don't laugh, but as a kid I always pictured him kind of looking like Omar Sharif with long hair and a full beard. I knew Jesus was from Palestine and my vision of what Middle Easterners looked like was heavily shaped by Sharif.

LOL :D  One good thing about Omar Sharif Jesus is that Omar Sharif had a great smile and eyes.  I remember seeing a  picture of a laughing Jesus awhile back, and although he look liked stereotypical Jesus Christ Superstar type Jesus, he had a great smile/laugh.  I'd like to think Jesus would be like that.

OK...on a kind of side topic, anybody ever read the Joshua books? I remember really liking them...I don't know....20-25 years ago? They were by Joseph Girzone, who I want to say was a Priest, but I may be imagining that.

ETA: OK, just super shocked to find out that the author died two weeks ago. :(

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Although on an intellectual level, I know that Jesus probably looked more like this:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

There's been a rendition of Jesus going around FB lately....

I saw the drawing in Umsami's link 12+ years ago when we were living in Colorado and it's the same one that I'm now seeing on FB that BigMamaBird refers to -- I didn't read the recent stuff on FB closely.  Are they saying that drawing was created recently?  I saw it and read the article in Popular Mechanics when we were living in Colorado Springs in the early 2000s.  

That said, if anything, I imagine Jesus to look like the icon called "Not Made by Hands." 

16a1ca1a-968d-441f-bef1-5434a760b216_zps  iconnmbh2_zpsoromvmhc.jpg  iconnmbh3_zpswsvyshrj.jpg

Story behind this icon:

The Holy Napkin, or the icon “Not Made By Handsâ€, is the very first icon ever made, and it was made in a miraculous way by Christ.  King Abgar of Edessa, from his kingdom neighboring  Israel, had sent his court artist to invite Christ to come to Edessa when he heard that the Lord was being persecuted in Israel.  The artist was also asked to bring back a portrait of Christ, because the king, who had leprosy, felt that if he could only see the likeness of this Man that he had heard so much about, he would be made well.  The artist tried many times to capture His Face, but was unable, so the Lord Who loves man, knowing all things, took a cloth and brought it to His Face, and a true likeness was impressed on the cloth, which was sent to King Abgar and healed him.  Thus this first icon was not made by human hands. Later the Apostle Jude Thaddeus was sent to preach to this kingdom, and they converted to become one of the first Christian states.  The original Holy Napkin cloth was kept in Edessa until AD 944 when it was brought to Constantinople, and it is the pattern from which all subsequent icons of Christ are made.  [My note: Obviously there's some Byzantine stylization in icons, they're purposely not meant to be exact representations of people.]

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

I'll be honest, it annoys me when He is depicted as a white guy.  Especially here in my area where people try to use the Bible as an excuse to be racist.  Half the people I know that claim to be Christian wouldn't let someone that shared an ethnicity with Jesus into their home.  I wish they realized the hypocrisy in that. 

Then there is the whole stupid thing in a lot of traditional Baptist circles in which men shouldn't have long hair and should be clean shaven.  And yet there is a big ol' bearded, long haired white Jesus picture hanging in the church ???  

Yes, this!  I don't know that I imagine Jesus a particular way anymore, but definitely defend the importance of "correcting" the centuries old depiction of Jesus as basically European looking. The connection between whiteness (as commonly understood in the US) and Jesus, and the goodness and righteousness of white people over brown people is just way too deep, way too hurtful. We go through great pains to not have our children associate Jesus with white skin, and European features -- it's probably not accurate anyway. I'm not an accuracy purist - in any drama pieces that our church does, Jesus is black, our nativity scene is an African interpretation of the nativity scene, our children's Bibles are carefully selected -- but that is all for cultural reasons, and to counter prevailing and unconscious biases toward whiteness=goodness. So, I go with either depict Jesus in a symbolic way - and be clear that it's a symbol or go for what's likely to way more accurate than 95% of the European depictions of Jesus. And, yes, he would look a lot like the people so many are trying to keep out of the country.  

• Like 2

I never really give it much thought wrt skin tone, hair length and so on.

I don't picture angels as commonly depicted either.

I always laugh bc someone many many years ago noted that angels probably don't look like sweet nice people with wings what with all the exhortations of "don't be afraid" that they have to to give when someone sees them.

When the movie nativity first came out, I came across some folks that were just thoroughly disgruntled bc the Angel Gabriel looked to have darker skin and a fro. Apparently that was just wrong in her view and showed liberal influence. Whatever. 🙄

• Like 1

It doesn't particularly matter to me, but when I do imagine him, He looks very Middle Eastern.

I don't hold back any eye rolling when I see a nativity set with European looking figurines or where baby Jesus looks radioactive.You know the ones with the weird colored glowing ring around his head.

Since the Bible only refers to angels as male it makes we wonder if they're offended by our images of extremely feminine looking angels or fat baby angels.

We are often asked to bring a baby doll for the church's Christmas program.  (Because 5 daughters.)

This happened again this year.  The girls chose the dark-skinned Bitty Baby because he was the right size and the right color.  I thought that this was interesting.  I'm not sure which one of them said it first.

Usually they send a smaller white baby doll with a smooshed head, because they don't know who is going to be taking care of their baby and who might throw it off stage, etc.  This year they sent the proper baby, because dd13 was Mary and was the only person who would touch the doll.  They knew that she would take care of it.

• Like 3

I saw someone online yesterday make the argument that since his friends had names like Luke and John, obviously Jesus was white. :banghead: There was so much incorrect about that statement, I didn't even know how to reply.

😮😯 wow!!!

When I was growing up, our faith tradition emphasized the not knowing about Jesus's appearance, even to the extent of condemning attempted artistic renderings. We were often read this quote from Isaiah and told it meant that Jesus was very ordinary looking, maybe even a little ugly, because that was the opposite of what would be expected. After all,"God does not look on the outward appearance but the heart."

Isaiah 53

…2For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. 3He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

i have no personal opinion on this subject.

My experience was similar