Menu

S/O: Baby names you have heard but you definitely would not have picked

DawnM

reading the other thread got me thinking......

I have heard some very interesting baby names lately.

A friend of a friend named their baby Gotham.

What have you heard recently that made you think, "Hmmmm.....interesting. Definitely not my choice, but interesting."

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a dangerous topic . . . easy to offend someone's choice of names :)

I've had two embarrassing moments in my life that involved me commenting when I shouldn't have about someone's choice of names.

The first was when my husband and I were newly engaged and I was spending my first Christmas with his side of the family, which is very small and that year only involved his aunt and grandma.  We were talking about middle names and his aunt, with a big smile on her face informed me that my future father-in-law's middle name was "Harry".  I immediately burst out laughing because I was sure that she was joking because the last name also started with "H" and is two syllables which to me still just sounds ridiculous together.  They laughed with me and I figured it was some kind of joke (remember the lady that chose that name, the grandma, is sitting right there).  The conversation went on and on.  It wasn't until later that week they finally told me that his middle name actually is Harry.  They've never let me forget it.

The second was when my hair stylist asked me what I thought about naming a kid after a car.  I think I replied that it probably would matter which car.  She then suggested, "like Corvette".  I laughed and she chuckled and the conversation went on.  I think it was several months before I realized that the salon owner's son was named Corvette.

This was all before I had kids so I learned to keep my mouth shut . . . and then I started naming kids and we have some names that others probably think are really strange!

• Like 3

The worst so far is Nemeses. :/ Poor girl. It's not even a "not my choice, but interesting" name. It's a "why did you hate your daughter?" name. 

I try not to comment on baby names as my dd has a unique name. And, I'm sure many have said "Hmmmm.....interesting. Definitely not my choice, but interesting." However, when discussing little Spurgeon, I mention how my dd's name is different and everyone says "Yeah, but it's pretty." So, at least I named my kid a pretty, but unique name. lol 

• Like 1

I have seen some doozies this season: Belicia, Ocean, Indiana, Nykelle

For some reason, though, names like Elexys and Alivia bother me the most. i mean, why Abbygale?? Yeah, yeah, to be different, whatever.

Disclaimer: My own children's names are unusual ;)

• Like 3

My kids have unusual names. My oldest is constantly having to correct pronunciation and spelling. It doesn't bother her, she really likes her name and I get complimented on it all the time. It's a name that she literally meets no one else with that name.

This might offend some people but I hate misspelled names. I say this as the proud owner of a misspelled name. :glare:  Your daughter's name isn't more unique because you spelled it Emmalee.

• Like 8

For some reason, though, names like Elexys and Alivia bother me the most. i mean, why Abbygale?? Yeah, yeah, to be different, whatever.

I feel really sorry for kids whose parents spell their names creatively. My dd has a fairly common name that has two common spellings. I chose the slightly less popular choice and it is frequently misspelled. She gets really upset when she gets a certificate or something with her name misspelled. I can only imagine how often kids with creative spellings have to correct people.

I also don't get creative spelling.  I don't see the point.  I am fine with unusual names - my family was all horrified over my oldest daughter who was named after a character in a book.

There are a few names I've really looked askance at.  I went to school with a girl named Muffin.  And I once met a little girl names Philistine.

ETA - I almost prefer really bizarre celebrity names to the simpler ones, like Apple or Otter.  I think Moon Unit at least is really unusual.

• Like 3

Don't want to offend anyone so I will just say that when I announced that we were naming baby Elsa, we had so much hate. This was long before the movie btw. All my children have uncommon names so I am accustomed to some flack in that regards but this was above and beyond. I was determined that this was "THE" name. We started telling everyone that we were using the name Elsa with nn Ellie and people were a little nicer once they realized they could call her by nickname. Seriously, it was unreal. There was one time that even I was doubting and began reconsidering even though I loved the name. Then I got a call from my mom who confessed that she told my stepdad that she couldn't believe I would choose such a ridiculous name, even repeating that someone said it sounded like a old crippled Russian woman with warts among other things. He became angry and said people should be more respectful than that and he was surprised at her behavior. She question him why he was so defensive and it turns out his mom that passed away when he was a young child was named Elsa and his older sister that raised him had Elsa as her middle name. My mom never knew his mother's given name as he didn't like to discuss her and only used his sister's first name when speaking of her. She passed away as well when he was a young adult. This proved to me that this was the perfect name! You see each of our kids have a family name and this being our 6th child, we were finding it difficult to find a person to honor that we haven't used previously. We had chosen Elsa as a nickname of Elisabeth from a grandmother generations ago. We felt like it was a stretch both because it wasn't the actual name and dh didn't even know Elisabeth, only his dad remembered her vaguely.  We never got the chance to honor my stepdad which I hated as this was to be our last. If Elsa would have been a boy she would have had his name.  When I asked him if the name would be too painful for him as he never spoke of his mom, he said it would be an honor giving new life to the name. When the movie came out, I bought her all kind of Elsa toys and she told everyone she is the original princess Elsa and the movie was hers. Now everyone loves her name! One downfall is everyone thinks I named her after the movie even if they know she is too old for it.

• Like 12

. When the movie came out, I bought her all kind of Elsa toys and she told everyone she is the original princess Elsa and the movie was hers. Now everyone loves her name! One downfall is everyone thinks I named her after the movie even if they know she is too old for it.

I loved the story of your daughter's name and how it ended up being to meaningful to your family.  

Regarding the quote above, I have an Elijah who was born before Elijah Woods became a star but really just shortly before, as in, maybe a year (maybe not even quite a year) before Elijah Wood became a household name.  Everyone thinks we named him after the star.  We were just picking it as a Biblical name and have been surprised by how common it is among the kids that are just a bit younger than he is.

When my youngest was born, I came here asking for suggestions and out of the suggestions we picked Hadassah (nickname:  Dassi).  We love it and it fits her perfectly.  It dawned on us after we picked the name that it was the Hebrew version of my dh's mother's name which is Esther.  I would never have used Esther but we were pleased to have it end up being a "family" name even without that intention.

• Like 4

I went to school with an Apricot Almond. It was a bit surprising even in 1970s California. ;)

I also went to school with an Amanita. I think it's a beautiful name, even if it is a type of poisonous mushroom.

I'll refrain from commenting too much on names since it's so personal, but some of these listed are truly bizarre. I'm surprised they were even allowed. Some countries consider offensive names (Aryan?! Seriously?) to be a form of child cruelty. I'm not sure I disagree.

• Like 5

I know someone who named her daughter Alivia and then used a creative spelling of Lucille for the middle name. It looks like a medical condition or something.

• Like 6

I loved the story of your daughter's name and how it ended up being to meaningful to your family.  

Regarding the quote above, I have an Elijah who was born before Elijah Woods became a star but really just shortly before, as in, maybe a year (maybe not even quite a year) before Elijah Wood became a household name.  Everyone thinks we named him after the star.  We were just picking it as a Biblical name and have been surprised by how common it is among the kids that are just a bit younger than he is.

When my youngest was born, I came here asking for suggestions and out of the suggestions we picked Hadassah (nickname:  Dassi).  We love it and it fits her perfectly.  It dawned on us after we picked the name that it was the Hebrew version of my dh's mother's name which is Esther.  I would never have used Esther but we were pleased to have it end up being a "family" name even without that intention.

I have always loved Elijah but know too many around our area to use it. Hadassah is such a beautiful name especially with nn Dassi.  I don't know how I missed it all these years. LOL. Love the meaning for your family too.

Indiana immediately brings to mind - "You were named after a dog?"

ETA: After some confusion, I'll add that this is a line from a movie.

• Like 8

We got the OMG reaction from some people when I was pregnant with #6 and we really dug the name Dagny.  (That baby ended up being a boy, as did #7, so we didn't get to use it).  I would still use Dagny if I happened to have another baby; I don't know why but I love it as do dh and all the kids.  I know it sounds like an ugly name to some people -- it just doesn't to me.  I'd probably go the route of providing a more common middle name but I've also always wanted to use the word Blue for a middle name.  Dagny Blue. If this name is an OMG name for you, have no fear. I'll probably have to settle for giving our next cat this moniker! No children will be harmed in the using of this name.  ;)

• Like 9

I know an Aryann. The family has also chosen a distinctive and very hard to spell and pronounce German name for their new baby.

They are not German.

Aryann just leaves me very unsettled.

Cutesy spellings--or worse, offensive spellings--leave me with he impression that the parents are illiterate. Might not be fair, but there it is.

• Like 12

My kids are named after Tolkien characters. Giving my kids Elvish names means I really have no business bagging on the name choices of others. Often there are cultural or family patterns at play. I do think it's interesting, and like hearing about how others come to particular names.

• Like 4

We got the OMG reaction from some people when I was pregnant with #6 and we really dug the name Dagny.  (That baby ended up being a boy, as did #7, so we didn't get to use it).  I would still use Dagny if I happened to have another baby; I don't know why but I love it as do dh and all the kids.  I know it sounds like an ugly name to some people -- it just doesn't to me.  I'd probably go the route of providing a more common middle name but I've also always wanted to use the word Blue for a middle name.  Dagny Blue. If this name is an OMG name for you, have no fear. I'll probably have to settle for giving our next cat this moniker! No children will be harmed in the using of this name.  ;)

Is that pronounced phonetically -- DAG-nee?

I once worked for a church where unusual names for kids were all the rage. I remember a Bagby (a girl, pronounced just like it looks) and a Trueheart Bird (also a girl, and Bird was the middle name, not their last). There was a baby boy named Pinckney (no good nickname for that one)... oh, and the sisters, Zora and Doon. There were more... a lot more.

I think I've told this one here before, but when ds was in the NICU the nurses swore to us they'd once cared for a baby named La—a. (Hint: Pronounce the punctuation.) That might be the equivalent of the "board stretcher" joke to a nurse, but they swore up and down it was true. I might not believe it, but my mom worked for years in the medical records department of a hospital and saw all manner of insane names, including Pajama and a set of newborn twins, Lemonjello and Orangejello.

PSA:

Some "misspellings" are *not* when someone is from or honoring another heritage!

I taught with a woman who had a *fit* and ranted loudly about a "stupid" parent who "didn't even know how to spell her kid's name". She was convinced that the mom misspelled the kid's name at registration because it was pronounced in a way the teacher didn't expect. The *mom* must be wrong because *teachers* never are. *eye roll*

• Like 5

PSA:

Some "misspellings" are *not* when someone is from or honoring another heritage!

I taught with a woman who had a *fit* and ranted loudly about a "stupid" parent who "didn't even know how to spell her kid's name". She was convinced that the mom misspelled the kid's name at registration because it was pronounced in a way the teacher didn't expect. The *mom* must be wrong because *teachers* never are. *eye roll*

Or pronunciation. I occasionally do educational testing in schools, and I can't count the number of times I've asked for a student with a Spanish language name, using the standard Spanish pronunciation, only to have the teacher say, "Who? Oh, do you mean (standard English pronunciation)?"

Then, before beginning testing, I ask the child, "What is your name?" to confirm I have the correct child, and they use the Spanish language pronunciation. Which means they have spent the entire school year with their name mispronounced at school. I'm sure they adjust just fine, but still.... :(

Respectfully, do we really want to trot this out? This topic so often ends in hurt feelings and with racist/classist undertones. Why not just agree that there are names we wouldn't choose for our own children without mocking the choices of other people?

I have read all the responses, so far haven't run into the first one that is disrespectful, or is mocking someone. I think we can respectfully talk about names. We can't always talk about the weather because we are afraid of stepping on someone's toes.
  • Like 6

Isis.  She was named before the terrorist group was widely known, of course.  It is just unfortunate to have that association.

The terrorist group is called other things, too. What is unfortunate is the acronym. Isis is a powerful Goddess-name and has been for thousands of years. I don't think Daesh gets to destroy that. Daesh is what the French and a lot of Arab countries call them. It's derived from the Arab acronym and also has some delightfully negative connotations with respect to words that sound similar to it. http://theweek.com/speedreads/446139/france-says-name-isis-offensive-call-daesh-instead.

If someone named their baby Daesh, that would be up there on the level of unfortunate with naming them Hitler.

• Like 6

Regarding the quote above, I have an Elijah who was born before Elijah Woods became a star but really just shortly before, as in, maybe a year (maybe not even quite a year) before Elijah Wood became a household name. Everyone thinks we named him after the star. We were just picking it as a Biblical name and have been surprised by how common it is among the kids that are just a bit younger than he is.

When my youngest was born, I came here asking for suggestions and out of the suggestions we picked Hadassah (nickname: Dassi). We love it and it fits her perfectly. It dawned on us after we picked the name that it was the Hebrew version of my dh's mother's name which is Esther. I would never have used Esther but we were pleased to have it end up being a "family" name even without that intention.

Lol! We have an Eli, also liked it for biblical reasons. He was born in 2008 after the Giants won the Superbowl... everyone thought we named him after Eli Manning. Ironically, now he is obsessed with football :)
  • Like 1

Hmmm...hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings. There are just certain names that for sure I wouldn't do. A, Apple, North, South...within others. For me, letter names, fruits, directions etc are commonly used for other purposes, so I am not sure I'd like to name my children like that. However, some of the names I've read here just make me wonder...more than the ones I mentioned. Why name kids with mean words?? Don't understand :(

PSA:

In her brief time at a school, my daughter actually argued with the school secretary about the pronunciation of her name. Although it is not a common name, it is a recognizable one (and not "misspelled").

Much to my chagrin, I believe my daughter lost that argument :p

Btw, I really, really like the name Dagny Blue and I have no idea why.

• Like 1

Is that pronounced phonetically -- DAG-nee?

Yes.  I leaned toward a preference for a kind of softer DAYG-nee rather than a strong short-a DAG-nee  ... hard to explain but there's a slight difference.  I guess it's just how it comes out when you say it with normal speed/emphasis  vs. trying to emphasize the DAG part of the word.

• Like 1

With some of these names that are negative words that maybe sound like a pretty name do you think that the parents did not know what it meant or that they are just very mean and insensitive?

I have a friend who, as a very young mother, named her daughter Ariola. Her daughter was a toddler before she came across the word areola and made the connection. At that point, she was mortified, and was upset that no one (i.e. a doctor or nurse...) had pointed it out to her. Before her daughter started school, they had her name legally changed. 

Just this summer, I heard that an acquaintance had named her baby boy Grantham, and was planning to call him Grant. I don't think I would have used Grantham until Downton Abbey had faded in popularity, but I don't mind it as a name, and it sounds great with their other boys' names. 

Some of the worst I have come across were in SC at an elementary school. MIL had two students (siblings a year apart). Their names were Maryjuana (Mary-ju-wanna) and Cocainee (Ko-can-ee).

And I personally had step-sisters named Brandy and Sherry...

I worked in a school after care program and we had a girl named Tequila.  

• Like 1