Menu

What was your Cabbage Patch doll's name?

poppy

I don't remember. I wasn't a doll person, but my parents figured I'd want one because they were all the rage. They drove an hour to find a last available doll one year at Christmas. I was touched that they would do that for me, so I pretended to be really excited about the doll, but really I had no idea what to do with it. I was not a mothering kind of kid and honesty had no idea what to do with dolls.

• Like 3

My first Cabbage Patch doll was a boy because they were so popular they had run out of girls.  His name was Hans.  I did end up with a few more over the years.  One was named Noreen.  I can't remember any of the other names.

Did anyone else end up with a boy Cabbage Patch kid?  I remember being so happy just to have one, but pretty disappointed that he was a boy.

I don't remember, but they're in the basement, waiting to be eBayed. I have better luck remembering the names of dolls I named myself, like my beloved Kookamungaphobia. (Apparently it was a Sesame Street thing.)

ETA: Does any remember Ramona (of the Beverly Cleary books) naming her doll Chevrolet?  :)

Xavier

was the name it came with

I didn't have one at the height of their crazed popularity. Too expensive. I bought one for my son so I could relive my childhood and give my kid something I really wanted that I could not have. I know, stupid, but that's one of the fun things about being a parent. LOL

My boys all have American Girl Bitty Baby dolls because I am too old to have had an American Girl doll. I totally get it. (Then I had a daughter and I have gone a little American Girl nuts, I must say.)

• Like 2

That's funny, because my children had these, not me.  That is, my oldest two children did.  My son's was Dilbert or something like that.  I can't remember my daughter's.  They weren't much of a hit in our household, but I thought the idea was cute.

My first Cabbage Patch doll was a boy because they were so popular they had run out of girls. His name was Hans. I did end up with a few more over the years. One was named Noreen. I can't remember any of the other names.

Did anyone else end up with a boy Cabbage Patch kid? I remember being so happy just to have one, but pretty disappointed that he was a boy.

My first one was a boy, as bald as could be. This was also during the height of the CPK frenzy. My parents had gotten a rain check from the toy store when the store ran out of stock and were called a few days before Christmas to come and get the doll. They were told to come to a side entrance and not to breathe a word to anyone. That doll was double-bagged and smuggled out of the store so there wouldn't be a riot.

I was disappointed he was a boy, but I was the only one of my friends who received one for Christmas. The sad thing was, I never really wanted one, so I didn't ask for one. I did learn to like him, though. It's kind of strange, but my son Alvin really looked like that doll when he was an infant! LOL

• Like 1

Xavier

I didn't have one at the height of their crazed popularity.  Too expensive.  I bought one for my son so I could relive my childhood and give my kid something I really wanted that I could not have.  I know, stupid, but that's one of the fun things about being a parent.  LOL 

My hangover from childhood is shoes. My children always had/have brand name shoes. Why? Because I was laughed at and teased for my Kmart shoes. My kids? They have never cared one blip about what brand their shoes are. When they shop...they head to Walmart or Kmart for shoes...I still can't.

• Like 1

[

BTW, I'm 42. Are some of you ladies really that much older that you were buying Cabbage Patch dolls for your daughters? Surely your kids were part of a 2nd wave or something 😊.

Yes some of us are grandparents. I am currently sewing doll clothes for mygranddaughter's American girl doll. I am using her Aunt's AGD for reference in sizing. Her Aunt's AGD is one of the very first.

Well, I made knock-offs and sold them for $100 each. Didn't sell all that many (7 or 8), but I had fun. Plus, that was a whole lot of money back then!

My DDs first cabbage dolls were made by a very talented neighbor. It was just impossible to find a doll on the shelves at the time and the handmade ines were well done and less than half the price of the store ones. I sewed lots of clothes for them including little carriers to carry them on your back. My friend also sewed Care Bears! My girls knew the difference but they were good knockoffs st the time.

My DDs both got the real cabbage doll babies when the fad became more affordable.

• Like 3

I never had one.  I thought they were so ugly.  I also may have been a little old for them.

I had a Bionic Woman doll and the Bonic Woman beauty center.  I had a purple teddy bear from some bear company....American? Vermont? Can't remember which.  I always wanted a Baby Alive doll that my neighbor across the street Stacy had.  My Mom said, "no way."  Luckily, Stacy let me play with hers.  Stacy also had an Easy-Bake oven.  I loved going over to her house to play. :)

• Like 1

Well I was too old for them but I had one anyway. I bought a CPK and a camera with my summer babysitting money when I was 15. I was a weird kid.

I had a boy one named Weber Wade. He was still in great shape when I gave him away many years later, since he really didn't get much playtime with me being a teenager and all. But my mom was incredulous that I would "get rid of him." He was like a member of the family to her.

Guess that kinda explains the weirdness . . .

• Like 1

Ted Amos. I still have him. My second born DS loved him when he was younger and had to have him to sleep. We had to make sure we took Ted on vacation.

He has a pacifier :) I can't remember when his birthday was; sometime in the fall, I think.

I won him in a contest. Our school band was selling raffle tickets for a Cabbage Patch doll. The member of the band who sold the most tickets could win a cash prize or a Cabbage Patch doll. I chose the doll - even though I was in 6th grade and thought I was really too old to play with him.

• Like 2

My DDs first cabbage dolls were made by a very talented neighbor. It was just impossible to find a doll on the shelves at the time and the handmade ines were well done and less than half the price of the store ones. I sewed lots of clothes for them including little carriers to carry them on your back. My friend also sewed Care Bears! My girls knew the difference but they were good knockoffs st the time.

My DDs both got the real cabbage doll babies when the fad became more affordable.

Someone made me a knock off CP doll too.  Wasn't the same.  : (

I know, call that bratty of me, but it was a huge deal.  Everyone in my class had at least one of those dolls.  They even brought them to school. 

I never had a Cabbage Patch Kid.  At 14, I was "too old". My 11 year old sister got one for Christmas that year and boy, was I envious.

Incidentally, I never owned a single Barbie doll either.  My mother despised Barbie and got my sister and I each a "Darci" doll instead.  By the time she broke down and got my sister a Barbie (the first of many for her), I was again, "too old".

Poor me, lol!

• Like 2

I know I had one, but I don't remember it having a name. I didn't know dolls had to have names (sometimes this explains my issues in parenting!). I do remember once putting an entire package of diapers on it. My mom dragged me to the store at 10:00pm because the tape wasn't sticky anymore on the 28 otherwise clean diapers piled in my closet.

• Like 1

I know I had one, but I don't remember it having a name. I didn't know dolls had to have names (sometimes this explains my issues in parenting!). I do remember once putting an entire package of diapers on it. My mom dragged me to the store at 10:00pm because the tape wasn't sticky anymore on the 28 otherwise clean diapers piled in my closet.

They came with a birth certificate (and name). 

What kind of Cabbage Patch doll owner were you?!

(totally kidding) 

Daryl Elliot. His nickname was "Dare." I named him myself and sent off for the revised certificate. I was 13.

A few years later, after I'd left for the Navy, my younger sister turned him into a flour baby for her high school child development class without asking me.

No idea whatsoever. I remember not liking her name, and giving her a different one, but I can't remember either the name she came with or the one I gave her.

Someone made me a knock off CP doll too.  Wasn't the same.  : (

I know, call that bratty of me, but it was a huge deal.  Everyone in my class had at least one of those dolls.  They even brought them to school. 

My mom made me one. I think I would have liked her just fine, except the feet ended up looking like hands. I was kind of a brat about it, but I was like 5.

I got the real one the next Christmas, when they weren't as popular.

• Like 1

Winnie Jeanine.

She was the only thing under the Christmas tree for me the year I got her, and it was still the best Christmas ever. She is on my daughter's bed right now. She eventually got a Preemie brother--Roderick Eric--but by then I was just a tad too old to love him like I loved her.

• Like 2

My first Cabbage Patch doll was a boy because they were so popular they had run out of girls. His name was Hans. I did end up with a few more over the years. One was named Noreen. I can't remember any of the other names.

Did anyone else end up with a boy Cabbage Patch kid? I remember being so happy just to have one, but pretty disappointed that he was a boy.

I have a boy! I have one of the very first CPK dolls. My dear grandmother knew I wanted one, so she went to the trouble to get one for me (the oldest grandchild and the only girl at the time). They only had boys, and she knew I wouldn't care, and she was right. I loved that doll so much. His name is (I think my mom has him still) Damon Ross. He's the first of five blue-eyed blond-haired little boys I have mothered. ;)

A couple of years later when my parents were expecting their fourth baby, they couldn't guarantee that I wasn't getting a third little brother, so they got me a preemie CPK doll named Daphne Abigail. You can imagine my delight when Christmas morning, there were two girl babies for me to love on! (Literally -- my baby sister arrived not long after midnight on December 25th and is still the best Christmas present I ever received.)

• Like 1

My aunt picked them up for my mom one year...and I think she didn't bother to look at names.  I got Camela Jelafna.  (My sister suggested that we call her Cammie.)  I later added Adora Christina to my little family.  I also had a boy, but I can't for the life of me remember his name--I can only remember Vincent Xavier, which was the doll owned by my friend down the street.  I think my boy doll was named something with Marcus.

I played with dolls constantly from toddlerhood until about age 10, and I think at least one of those dolls was my own purchase.  Oddly enough, I was very disappointed that my first doll looked like me.  All the Cabbage Patch dolls I chose for myself had brown skin and hair.  In the end, though, my favorite dolls were bigger, more realistic-looking ones.  And sadly, though I kept all my beloved dolls, none of my kids are doll-players, so I finally got rid of all but the one my mom made for me.  And here I was so looking forward to reliving my childhood.  Well, at least I have a grand-sheep and a grand-teddy and a grand-puppy.  (My kids have favorite stuffed animals that have personalities...so they use the doll clothes on them.  Still not nearly like I was playing with my dolls, though.  Alas!)

• Like 1

Xavier

Xavier (the creator) was written on the bums of all the CP dolls. The names were on the adoption certificates.

I had a knock-off my mom got at a craft fair. I can't remember the name but it started with a C. Charlotte, maybe? I liked it but I was in the "too old" age range, so it didn't stick with me. I had a stuffed monkey named Monkeyshines. No trouble remembering that one!

• Like 1

I had an original non-Mattel one too. My mother won her in a raffle, which is awesome because she would never buy me something like that. I named her Amy.

Then I saved up my birthday and Christmas money and bought two of the preemies, Adam Guy and A.... oh gosh I can't remember. Maybe Alexander. I bought them because they looked alike and had matchey names and matchey clothes (one had a green suit and another had a blue one). I also bought a Cornsilk Kid and tried to curl her hair with my curling iron (not effective, BTW).

I owned all of the books, most of the accessories like the infant seat and real CBK diapers, and the cassette tape! I had a regular one and a Christmas carol one. I used to perform "Back Home" originally sung by Sybil Sadie and Ramie (aka Rachel Marie) for my family.

My sister got a CPK from Spain somehow and her name was Domatilla or something like that.

• Like 2