Menu

Why not leave a message?

Night Elf

Sometime back, I contacted the Girl Scouts and asked why I never received a call about my application to volunteer. I applied a year or two ago and no one called me. I tried to apply again but it said my application had been accepted so I had to contact the office for them to get someone to look at it. I finally got an email from one person asking for my best contact number so she could call me. About a week later, i started getting calls from a different lady's name. I always check my caller ID and I simply do not answer calls I do not recognize. I figure if you want to talk to me, you would leave a message telling me who you are. Well, this woman never left me messages. So I figured it was a spam call. But now I'm wondering. It could have been someone from the Girl Scouts, and since I didn't answer, I lost my chance at volunteering. I don't know how I feel about that. If that truly was someone from GS, why wouldn't she have left a message? I've always left messages when I try to call someone. The first lady could have emailed me back too. I'm not going to pursue it anymore. I don't like the way this is being handled. I've got a bad feeling about it. And if it wasn't someone from GS, why did they never call anyway?

Why not leave a message? I'm puzzled.

One of my sons doesn't leave messages. It's really annoying because he has a knack for calling when I am at the library, or in the middle of teaching a class, or tutoring, or driving, or some other time when I cannot talk. I wish he would just say "Just called to say hi. Talk to you later." so that I wouldn't kick into worry mode. 

• Like 1

Because people today have no understanding of phone etiquette.

I'll go with this.  Unless it's one of my kids*, I don't call back anyone who doesn't leave a message.  Yeah, not even my husband, because if he calls without leaving a message, it's because he dialed by mistake.  Leave a message or text me, but don't just call and hang up.

But it is possible it was someone else, just misdialing.  That's happened to me a few times - I'll get a series of calls over a few days and when I finally pick it up to see why they keep calling, it turns out they've been calling the wrong number.   I can't explain why they didn't listen to the voicemail greeting.

*And they know they had better leave a message or there will be big trouble.

I do answer local calls with numbers that I don't recognize because I run a co-op and get calls from people I don't know and the kids are signed up with the Dept of Aging to help senior citizens in our area and they get a lot of calls. The majority of local calls are not spam in our case. The spam calls are out of state area codes that I don't recognize or 800 numbers.

Anyway, last summer a friend randomly stopped by to visit unexpectedly. She ended up staying for lunch and the phone rang with a local number that I didn't recognize. I figured it was a senior citizen asking for the kids and I almost let it go to voicemail because I had company but then I decided to answer it. It was my daughter and it turned out to be an emergency. I am so thankful that I answered because if it went to voicemail, she probably would have just hung up.

The more I think about it, there are times that even though we have cell phones, the battery dies, etc... and we have to borrow a phone to call home. So now I pretty much answer local calls without waiting for them to leave a voicemail because a lot of people just don't (my husband and my kids - don't ask me why, I don't get it, but they don't).

• Like 2

I think it's pretty standard for people NOT to answer a number they don't recognize. 

Really?

A person who does not have caller ID may not be aware that this is how other people handle their phone calls. It would truly never have occurred to me that people simply won't answer when I call because they don't recognize the number. I don't have caller ID because it's not worth the extra money, and I call until I get a human on the phone.

• Like 8

Really?

A person who does not have caller ID may not be aware that this is how other people handle their phone calls. It would truly never have occurred to me that people simply won't answer when I call because they don't recognize the number. I don't have caller ID because it's not worth the extra money, and I call until I get a human on the phone.

Yes, really. Alternatively, I screen my calls through my answering machine (yes, I still have a land-line with an actual answering machine).

Which would be a good reason for you to be sure to leave a message when you call someone and she doesn't answer. Please leave a message. It can be as short as, "Hey, this is regentrude. I'll call back later."

Before I had caller I.D., I would answer the calls, but if I didn't recognize the caller's voice or he didn't identify himself right away, I was never home.  Me: "Hello?" Anonymous: Hello, Ellie?" Me: "No, she's not here. May I take a message?" Proper telephone etiquette is that the caller should announce himself right away: "Hi, this is Orkie. May I speak to Ellie?" It is how I cut my spam calls to almost nothing, because word gets around that no one is ever home at this number, lol.

• Like 5

Really?

I think it's pretty common. Many people don't even have a landline anymore and use cell phones instead. Even my old not-smart mobile phone had caller ID.

Really?

Just out of curiosity then, why do you call until you get someone on the phone? Why don't you leave a message? I love my caller ID. If you were calling me, we'd never connect. I'm sorry.

• Like 2

We have a few collection folks calling since insurance was so sloooow at paying last year's hospital etc. bills after our car crash, plus hubby does some work from home, so if I do not recognize the number I do not answer the land-line phone.  If figure it it is important, they will leave a message.  If it is REALLY important and is family or a close friend, they have my cell number and will call or text that.  If it is work related, they should be calling hubby's cell, not the house.  I am not his paralegal or secretary.  I do not know anything about his cases. 

If I do answer, and you either ask for "Francis" (he goes by Frank, so I know you don't really know him) or mangle our last name or ask me if I am the homeowner - then you get " He/she isn't in right now please call back later" and I hang up.

I do play back the messages, so if you have left one and aren't asking me to donate my car or answer a survey or call back an out-of-state number, you might get a call back. 

Do realize that the person calling you back from the Girl Scouts is probably also a volunteer. The council office person will have turned your name over to the volunteer for you geographic area.

The best way to get connected if you wanted to volunteer with the Girl Scouts is to attend a school rally in the fall (even if you don't have a child signing up) and let them know that you want to help with a troop. There is always a great need for troop leaders.

Really?

Really.

We turned off our land line several years ago and only have cell phones now. And most (all?) cell phones automatically show the number of the person calling. There is no extra cost. As a matter of fact, I think even when we did have a land line, the basic package included caller ID. So, I don't remember how many years ago I would have to go back to a time when I didn't have caller ID. I think it's pretty standard for most folks now. Certainly common enough that even those who don't have it must be aware others do?

And, yes, except in certain circumstances, I don't answer calls if I don't recognize the number. I expect that anyone who has a legitimate reason to speak with me will be considerate and/or professional enough to leave a message.

• Like 3

Because people today have no understanding of phone etiquette.

No, we have different phone etiquette. We think it's really inconsiderate of people to leave voicemails unless absolutely necessary. A voicemail requires the recipient to dial their voicemail and then listen to it, and then call back the person who left it and will inevitably just say *exactly* the same thing as they did in their message. Again. It's such a waste of time.

One of my sons doesn't leave messages. It's really annoying because he has a knack for calling when I am at the library, or in the middle of teaching a class, or tutoring, or driving, or some other time when I cannot talk. I wish he would just say "Just called to say hi. Talk to you later." so that I wouldn't kick into worry mode. 

We really, really hate it when people leave messages like this. We assume that if someone calls once, it's not an emergency. Calling twice means ''This is urgent,'' since our phones tell us how many times someone's called us. We treat the missed call like a page on a beeper, and call back when we see it, cutting out the voicemail middle man. Even businesses are starting to do away with voicemail

Having said that, if I were calling someone in the situation described by the OP, I might just leave a message. I'd be more inclined to text or email, but if I didn't know whether the person had texting (or if the number I was calling might actually be a land line), and I didn't know their email address, there would be no way for them to find out who I was and stop screening me.

• Like 4

I never listen to voicemail.  I HATE voicemail.  I turn off the option on my own phone and never leave messages for other people.  A lot of people don't listen to their messages.  She couldn't have assumed you wouldn't listen to it or she could have had enough experiences with people never returning calls so it makes more sense to call until she gets a human.

• Like 7

I have caller ID but I do not have voice mail on my land or cells. I hate messages. Both leaving and getting.

I don't leave messages. I despise playing phone tag.

*shrug*

I don't think it's any weirder for them to not leave a message than it is for you to not answer your phone. They aren't any more obligated to leave a message than you are to pick up the phone.

If I know I'm expecting a call from someone new, I pick up the phone for unusual numbers. I can always hang up. :)

Now my peeve about phone etiquette is people who don't know how to call or answer the phone. I hate it when people call me and

I pick up the phone and say, "Hello?"

Person on other end should say, "Hello, I'm Suzy Q with the cake company calling about the order you placed...."

Not:

I pick up the phone and say, "hello?"

Person on other end says, "Is the Martha Mispronounced Lastname?"

It's none of your business who I am. You called me. Introduce yourself!

• Like 8

Why not leave a message?.... because they don't want you to call them back.  Seriously, they may only want to talk to you when it is convenient for them.  I agree with another poster that they are likely a volunteer and don't want a phone call back at a random time.

Try googling the name and number and see what you come up with.  If your search brings up a scam, then don't answer.  If it doesn't then I would answer and see if it is regarding the GS.  

• Like 1

Really?

LOL  I didn't know they even had phone service without caller ID anymore.  

Just out of curiosity then, why do you call until you get someone on the phone? Why don't you leave a message? I love my caller ID. If you were calling me, we'd never connect. I'm sorry.

Because chances are that the person would either never listen to my voice mail, or call me back when I am not available and leave another message.

I hate voice mail. First of all, I may never notice that I have a message, unless I happen to see the light blinking on the phone in my bedroom. Then it is cumbersome to dial in to retrieve the message, and half the time it is hard to understand what somebody is saying, and I have to replay the message, especially when people rattle off their call back number.

If anybody needs to contact me, they should send an email.

ETA: I find messages annoying in a professional capacity as well. I have a textbook rep who keeps calling and leaving messages, even though I have told her several times that I prefer email over phone.

• Like 1

Calls from organizations, I would expect to person to leave a message as to which organization he/she is calling from and which number to call back to.

Calls from individuals, I guess some people would just keep calling rather than leave a voice mail.

When I am waiting for a reply from an organisation, I actually state that the preferred method of contact is email because that is easier for me.

Really?

A person who does not have caller ID may not be aware that this is how other people handle their phone calls.

Here many drop the landline if they have a cellphone as that saves some money per month. People also tend to email rather than call if not urgent to save the other person some money.

In 2009, when we did kindergarten registration for my oldest, there was a question on landline in case of evacuations (earthquake, cell towers down scenario). Most of us have no landlines anymore so many ask the principal about it.

Now even if the cell phone does show the number, do you recognize every number of everybody you have dealings with? Or do you actually program into your phone the name of everybody you know and their number?

I have a cell, and it does show the number - but unless I have them in my contact list, I would not recognize who the caller is until I pick up.

I screen my calls through my answering machine (yes, I still have a land-line with an actual answering machine).

Same here.  We have phones with cords that plug into the wall.  And an answering machine.

I generally screen calls through the answering machine because most of them are spam.  Rachel at Cardholder Services always leaves a message ;) but the Windows guys from India don't. 

• Like 1

<snip>

<snip>

I not quoting you to disagree with you.  But this made me laugh, in my experience; most of the people I know don't respond to email.

In my world texting is the preferred method.  I'd rather get texts than calls. But if you call, either leave a message or follow up with a text because I'm not going to call back. 

I do still have a landline with no caller ID, and an answering machine.  But most people use the cell # now.  I still prefer talking on the landline.  Cell-to-cell calls can be hard to hear.

Doctor's offices still use voicemail.  It seems as though medical professionals are always behind the times on communication.  I am still asked to fax documents.  I know some of it has to do with confidentiality. 

Now even if the cell phone does show the number, do you recognize every number of everybody you have dealings with? Or do you actually program into your phone the name of everybody you know and their number?

I have a cell, and it does show the number - but unless I have them in my contact list, I would not recognize who the caller is until I pick up.

On my cell, the caller ID shows the name if the person calling is my contacts list, which most of the folks who have reason to call me are. (That includes family, friends, work, doctors, etc.) If the call is from a business or organization, much of the time that info comes through along with the number even if I haven't programmed it into my phone.

If I am expecting a call from someone new and I receive a call from a number I don't recognize that comes from the appropriate area code, I may answer it if I have time and energy available. 

If my son is away from home and I receive a calls from the same unknown number twice without someone leaving a message, I will often pick up the second call, because my son is famous for letting his phone battery run down and then borrowing a phone to call me. And he is terrible about leaving messages.

But, yes, once I have dealt with someone by phone more than once or twice, I do tend to recognize the number. 

If I am expecting a call from someone new and I receive a call from a number I don't recognize that comes from the appropriate area code, I may answer it if I have time and energy available. 

How do you determine the "appropriate" area code in the age of cell phones? My local friends have cell phone numbers with area codes spanning the entire country.

• Like 1

Because chances are that the person would either never listen to my voice mail, or call me back when I am not available and leave another message.

I hate voice mail. First of all, I may never notice that I have a message, unless I happen to see the light blinking on the phone in my bedroom. Then it is cumbersome to dial in to retrieve the message, and half the time it is hard to understand what somebody is saying, and I have to replay the message, especially when people rattle off their call back number.

ETA: I find messages annoying in a professional capacity as well. I have a textbook rep who keeps calling and leaving messages, even though I have told her several times that I prefer email over phone.

I had to do a lot of back-and-forth with a vendor and our charter this year, and I would email the vendor with the information, only to have her call me and leave 3-4 minute voicemails in response. I had to listen to these messages more than once, because I had to write down everything she said. I could have strangled her. She did email once in a while, and that ended up being important because she contradicted herself (to the tune of 10% of the cost of the service). Since it was in an email, I could send it back to her instead of just saying ''Well, that's not what you said six months ago.''

How do you determine the "appropriate" area code in the age of cell phones? My local friends have cell phone numbers with area codes spanning the entire country.

I just meant that if I'm expecting a call from a business in a particular city, for example, I would expect the call to come from an area code associated with that city. 

I don't mind msgs if they are giving important information.....but it drives me crazy when the msg is just "hi" or "no news, just checking in", etc.  If it is a msg that can't wait until you get in contact with me personally on the phone then okay - otherwise don't leave me an annoying voicemail msg. 

Myra

• Like 3

I just meant that if I'm expecting a call from a business in a particular city, for example, I would expect the call to come from an area code associated with that city. 

Just in my own family, I know of several situations that causes them to have a different area code from where they reside:

~it is someones company provided phone and the company is based in a different state

~when people move from another area, they don't always get a new number (especially when looking for work, so they have a consistent number on their resume)

~they are on a family plan with people across the country and the plan was bought in another area

~they moved and have a disabled child. The child knows the old number buy may not be able to learn a new one easily.

~they have a relative with memory issues, and this person knows the old number.

~they moved and if they change their number, they loose a 'grandfathered unlimited plan' on their cell service.

~to avoid long distance fees (to people who are calling them), they purposefully have an area code in the same area code as the person calling them. ie my mom lived across the state from my sister who she called daily.  My sister got her cell with the same area code as my mom, so when my mom called on her land line, my mom wouldn't have to pay long distance fees. 

If I leave someone a message, it is pretty rare that they even listen to it.  They see I called on their caller ID, and call back. When I ask if they listed to the message (so I don't repeat my self), they usually say no, and I have to say it all again anyways.

• Like 1

I never check my phone to see who called during the day. My phone does have the capability of keeping that information but I just consider that to be stupid. If someone phoned me, they had a reason to do so and they should leave me a message.

I have very few people who call for legitimate reasons, so yes, I recognize every number. When I am expecting other calls, like when I was trying to find someone to work on my house, their name or company name comes up on caller ID, so I'm expecting it. But if just says unavailable or unknown, I most definitely do not answer.

Unfortunately, telemarketers love people like me. I spent years listening to their spiels because I didn't have the courage to say I wasn't interested. When I did decline their offer, they generally keep talking and I keep listening. I find it very rude to just hang up on somebody. As I got older though, I started not caring. I got to where as soon as I heard who it was on the phone, I'd just say Not Interested and then hang up without waiting for a reply. That just seemed stupid so I quit answering the phone except for numbers I know.

So if it was the Girl Scouts calling, I guess they just lost a volunteer. I'll accept part of the blame because maybe this person didn't want me calling them back for whatever reason, but that doesn't make me feel good about how they communicate. So we just don't mesh. It's probably not a good place for me to be working. When I was in GS before, I did lots of calling and always left voicemail when I couldn't get in touch with someone. I took on the job to make such phone calls so I took on the responsibility of being available when they could call me back. That really didn't bother me.

• Like 1

I have caller ID but I do not have voice mail on my land or cells. I hate messages. Both leaving and getting.

I don't leave messages. I despise playing phone tag.

Phone tag is reduced with specific information given in a message. That way, the person on the other end knows why a person called and can give information back. Real information - not just, "call me." I want to know why I'm calling. I don't return "call me" messages, and don't answer numbers I don't recognize. Thus, we'd never connect.

I leave specific messages with people, that way if they call back at an inconvenient time, they can leave me the information I need. No phone tag.

Unless, it is this one medical office that I specifically told that the number I listed was a number they could leave a message. I worked in an area with terrible reception, and needed the information. They left a "call us back" message. I called and got their voicemail. I told them, again, that please call this number and leave the specific information in the message. They called again (when I was working) and left another "call us back" message. This happened 3-4 times. When we finally connected, she gave me simple information that could have been left in a message. I was pissed. I asked the nurse was there any particular reason she could not have left that info in a message as I had requested, so I would not have wasted all that d*mn time, thinking there was something wrong and playing phone tag. She just stammered.

So, yes, leave a message. Specific, precise, informative. Even if in the end you say you'll call back later. At least, now I know who you are and what the number is, and will answer the phone the next time.

Better yet, email. I dislike talking on the phone.

• Like 6

Phone tag is reduced with specific information given in a message. That way, the person on the other end knows why a person called and can give information back. Real information - not just, "call me." I want to know why I'm calling. I don't return "call me" messages, and don't answer numbers I don't recognize. Thus, we'd never connect.

I leave specific messages with people, that way if they call back at an inconvenient time, they can leave me the information I need. No phone tag.

Unless, it is this one medical office that I specifically told that the number I listed was a number they could leave a message. I worked in an area with terrible reception, and needed the information. They left a "call us back" message. I called and got their voicemail. I told them, again, that please call this number and leave the specific information in the message. They called again (when I was working) and left another "call us back" message. This happened 3-4 times. When we finally connected, she gave me simple information that could have been left in a message. I was pissed. I asked the nurse was there any particular reason she could not have left that info in a message as I had requested, so I would not have wasted all that d*mn time, thinking there was something wrong and playing phone tag. She just stammered.

So, yes, leave a message. Specific, precise, informative. Even if in the end you say you'll call back later. At least, now I know who you are and what the number is, and will answer the phone the next time.

:iagree:

Really?

I used to answer unfamiliar numbers/names until--almost without exception--they became robocalls or calls that never had anyone at the other end. I assume those are automatic calls just testing for valid numbers. It has become such a nuisance that I generally won't stop what I'm doing to pick up any more. If people don't leave messages, then we just are unable to connect.

• Like 4

I have found our local girl scouts to be very disorganized.  When I called the central number in my city several years ago to find a local troop, no one could tell me.  They just passed me around to different people, and no one had a list of troops in the area.  Really?

Then, a few years later, with my younger daughter, I heard about an information/sign-up meeting.  I went, and filled out paperwork, and put our name on lists to be contacted when the troops were organized.  I then got busy and dd's schedule got full, and I forgot about it.  That was three years ago.  Just last week, I got an e-mail from the girl scouts, thanking me for my interest, and inviting me to something.  I didn't even finish reading the e-mail.  I'm thinking if they want my daughters, and they want me, then they need to contact me within a few weeks, not after three years!

This is so me.  

Just in my own family, I know of several situations that causes them to have a different area code from where they reside:

~it is someones company provided phone and the company is based in a different state

~when people move from another area, they don't always get a new number (especially when looking for work, so they have a consistent number on their resume)

~they are on a family plan with people across the country and the plan was bought in another area

~they moved and have a disabled child. The child knows the old number buy may not be able to learn a new one easily.

~they have a relative with memory issues, and this person knows the old number.

~they moved and if they change their number, they loose a 'grandfathered unlimited plan' on their cell service.

~to avoid long distance fees (to people who are calling them), they purposefully have an area code in the same area code as the person calling them. ie my mom lived across the state from my sister who she called daily.  My sister got her cell with the same area code as my mom, so when my mom called on her land line, my mom wouldn't have to pay long distance fees. 

Sure, but if they simply leave me a message, then I will call them back and/or make a mental note and remember the number next time I see it come through on my caller ID. 

If they don't leave me a message, though, and I have no way of identifying a caller who just keeps calling me over and over, I will likely assume the calls are spam and never answer or respond.

• Like 2

Really?

Every phone package in our area includes caller id.  If I answered every phone call, I would talk to about 20 telemarketers a day.  If i am lucky, I might get one call a week from someone worth talking to.   Am I really supposed to waste that much time on the off chance that the unrecognized number might be important?    It appears that telemarketers are emboldened when people answer the phone.  So, if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it.  If it is important, they will leave a message.  People who know me personally will text me or email me.  And yes, I am on the Do Not Call list.  But nobody really obeys the law where that is concerned.

Why not leave a message?.... because they don't want you to call them back.  Seriously, they may only want to talk to you when it is convenient for them.  I agree with another poster that they are likely a volunteer and don't want a phone call back at a random time.

Try googling the name and number and see what you come up with.  If your search brings up a scam, then don't answer.  If it doesn't then I would answer and see if it is regarding the GS.  

Then the call must not be important.  How am I supposed to tell the difference between the gazillion telemarketers and important calls when no one leaves a message?  I don't love voicemail either, but it is a necessity.

• Like 3

Sometime back, I contacted the Girl Scouts and asked why I never received a call about my application to volunteer. I applied a year or two ago and no one called me. I tried to apply again but it said my application had been accepted so I had to contact the office for them to get someone to look at it. I finally got an email from one person asking for my best contact number so she could call me. About a week later, i started getting calls from a different lady's name. I always check my caller ID and I simply do not answer calls I do not recognize. I figure if you want to talk to me, you would leave a message telling me who you are. Well, this woman never left me messages. So I figured it was a spam call. But now I'm wondering. It could have been someone from the Girl Scouts, and since I didn't answer, I lost my chance at volunteering. I don't know how I feel about that. If that truly was someone from GS, why wouldn't she have left a message? I've always left messages when I try to call someone. The first lady could have emailed me back too. I'm not going to pursue it anymore. I don't like the way this is being handled. I've got a bad feeling about it. And if it wasn't someone from GS, why did they never call anyway?

Why not leave a message? I'm puzzled.

On an individual level, I won't waste your time with a message. You know me, you know I'll call back. I rarely call without a reason, like there needs to be quick back and forth that is not easily achieved by e-mail or text. But I will call you back. I know a lot of people like myself with limited minutes, because I don't waste money on a phone plan. Voicemail takes a lot of minutes. I have only texting and then pay after my small amount of minutes is used up. I also don't have voicemail set up, because I don't want people to use it and think I'm going to listen. I'm not going to listen. :) So they just learn that my voicemail is not set up.

As a professional, I would always leave a short message (even if this is to call back a nanny from the agency) saying who I am and why I called. I would be very surprised and amazed if the Girl Scouts did that.

You can Google the number to see whom it belongs to. If it's an official GS number, it may show up.

You can Google the number to see whom it belongs to. If it's an official GS number, it may show up.

Yes, but it us likely that the GS's gave the OP's number to an area representative that looks after a few units, or to a person in charge of a local unit - or in other words - a person who has volunteered as a leader. So it would just give a person's number, not something that says GS.

I often don't leave messages because of telephone tag, or getting the call back when I'm doing something else... but if I had tried a couple of times, then I would....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I understand not answering calls if you don't know who is calling.

But the flip side of your question is, "Why not answer a call even if you don't know who it is?"

Your question puts the burden on the caller. But they called.  Your own simple action would have made a difference here.

(And again, I'm not blaming you, I usually do the same thing. I'm responding to the original question.)

I understand not answering calls if you don't know who is calling.

But the flip side of your question is, "Why not answer a call even if you don't know who it is?"

Your question puts the burden on the caller. But they called.  Your own simple action would have made a difference here.

(And again, I'm not blaming you, I usually do the same thing. I'm responding to the original question.)

I understand what you are saying, I just disagree with it. Voicemail is there for a reason. I understand not everyone uses it, but I do. So maybe this person doesn't use voicemail but she shouldn't assume someone else doesn't either. I do place the burden on her because she is the one performing the action. She is the one calling me. She has something to tell me. If she cannot reach me, she should leave a message saying she called and who she is and for me to call her back. I don't mind 'call me' messages. I check my voicemail everytime I come back home. I do not sit there and click through my phone to see who called while I was out. That has never occurred to me to do. When I'm home, my caller ID is linked to my tv so when someone calls, I can see on my tv screen who it is. If I don't recognize the number, I do not get up to get the phone. That's why I figure they should leave a message.

It was a lady's full name, first and last, and her number. But I don't know anyone by that name, so I didn't answer. I get political spam calls from local numbers like that. Oh well, it's too late now.

And just for the record, anyone who does talk to me knows how I communicate. If I'm not home, they leave me a message saying they called, and I call them back. I won't know is someone called and wanted to talk to me unless they left a voicemail. Here's where the violins play though... my mom is the only person who calls me on the phone. My daughters use my cell phone. And my DH emails from work. So really, 4 days of the week, I get one call, from my mom, who wants to talk to me. Every other phone call is spam. So no, I do not answer those calls. I'd go bonkers with as many phone calls as I get each day.

Yes, I did expect a call from someone and we didn't connect because we each has assumptions about the other. It doesn't matter now. I started the thread because I couldn't understand why someone wouldn't leave a message when they called. Now I think both sides have explained their reasoning, so we all understand one another. I doubt any of us will change how we do things though.

I was a GS volunteer for several years. I was fortunate enough to be in an organized council. If you WANT to volunteer, I'd be tempted to call the council office during business hours or just walk in and talk to them. They should have some employees that can help you in a more professional way if a volunteer dropped the ball. Once you are part of an actual troupe, your dealings will be mainly with that group, then with people you know so every interaction won't be like this initial experience. These days, it wouldn't surprise me if the process is online. Maybe register for the initial training course and just get your answers in person?

http://www.girlscouts.org/for_adults/

I don't answer unknown calls either unless I'm expecting an important call. Your cell number used to only be in the hands of people you gave it to, but now you have to screen your calls. Checking a voicemail is effortless with my phone, so I go that route.

I have a landline and two cell phones.  I don't have caller ID on any of them.  The cells, though, will show the person's name if it is in my contact list.  So I generally answer the phone, and if it is a sales call or scam, I put the number into my contacts under something like SPAM - CARD SERVICES RACHAEL.  Surprisingly, if they call again it's usually from the same number, so the next time I can safely ignore the call.

I also have my phone numbers on the state and national Do Not Call directories.  Sadly, this is becoming less effective, but it does eliminate some calls.

Incidentally, the landline was really useful recently, when my area had a bad storm that took out many trees.  We lost power for days, and cell phones were also not working (towers down?), nor were VOIP phones as the internet was out.  But my trusty old-school landline did just fine, so I could make and receive calls even though there was no power.

• Like 1

I'm not great about answering my cell. I don't have my ring tone on at work, and I make sure it's off when at the library etc. Basically, my phone is always off. However, I do check texts during the day. Don't email me, don't leave me a voicemail. I don't have a landline. If you need to tell me something, text me. It's not that difficult. I will text you back as soon as I can.

I hate the phone.

I hate the sound of it ringing--because it always rings when I'm in the middle of the Most Complicated Algebra Problem Ever, or when I'm in the middle of washing my hands or scooping a litter box, or all the way down in the basement.

I hate listening to the messages--especially the vague, "I have something I want to talk about...call me back." At least give me a general idea of what it is you want to talk about.

I hate talking on the phone. I don't know if it's me or just how phones work, but we always end up talking over top of one another or there are pauses where no one's sure whose turn it is.

I think all communication should be done as message boards. ;)

• Like 9