Menu

"Love You Forever"...Is it just me or this book creepy?

mathmarm

I think it's one of those things that change as you grow and mature. The book is fine as a kid, then as you grow and mature you realize how creepy it is. The same thing happens in the opposite direction with sex. When you're a kid and you learn the mechanics of sex it's creepy, then as you grow and mature you learn how fine it is. 

• Like 3

I like it. I own it. I haven't read it recently but it is around and I owned it before I had children.

I am a lost mom (triplets born alive) so hearing that it was based off a lost parents experience makes me like it more. I vividly remember those last moments of my children's life and it is very fitting.

The Giving Tree is one of my favorite books. I used to read it to my charges all the time when I was a nanny. In fact one little boy (who is now about to go to college 😭😭😭😭) used to read "and the tree was happy, but not really" in a way that I will always remember and often I read it the same. 😉

Who freaks me out is Maurice Sendak and Lewis Carrol. However my oldest is named Max so we have to have Where The Wild Things Are in the house. We also have Alice in Wonderland though too.

• Like 2

You know which one is a healthy one?  "I Love You As Much".  Get that one.

I thought so too, and then I looked at the reviews on Amazon - apparently, a lot of people think that it's an unhealthy example of the Big Nutbrown Hare having to always be better than the baby, and that the oneupmanship is really weird.

I don't agree, but I certainly see their point.

Super-creepy. Knowing that it was written with his children in mind doesn't change how I feel about it - I wouldn't have it in the house - but I no longer think that the author must be a weirdo.

I've lost my son and lost my mother since I first read the book...but it is still creepy to me. Not so much the idea, but the illustrations.

• Like 1

I thought so too, and then I looked at the reviews on Amazon - apparently, a lot of people think that it's an unhealthy example of the Big Nutbrown Hare having to always be better than the baby, and that the oneupmanship is really weird.

I don't agree, but I certainly see their point.

"Guess How Much I Love You" is the one with the Nutbrown Hare.  

• Like 2

I don't like it, hyperbole or not. Why did the mother have to call her son up and tell him she was very sick? Probably because she had climbed in his window one too many times.

When I read it I don't think the son didn't know she was sick. I read it as she is calling to let him know it is time to come say goodbye.

• Like 2

If you take the time to learn about the author, why and how he writes his books, some of you could perhaps understand it better. Fortunately, my son and I understand hyperbole and we always had a good giggle reading it. Sometimes you have to delve a little deeper below the surface of things; isn't that a part of  learning how to read literature of all types? I wouldn't let a rottweiler babysit my child, either, but I'm able to understand the gist of that book for toddlers, without being repulsed or scared that the dog will do any harm.

Wow, is this condescending. 

I read the links people posted. I have compassion for the author and his wife. I understand hyperbole. (I actually own this t-shirt: http://www.spreadshirt.com/hyperbole-the-best-thing-ever-t-shirts-C3376A12781691.) I have a degree in English, which required me to "delve a little deeper" into lots of literature.

I still think the book is creepy.

The mere fact that I don't happen to agree with you doesn't mean I'm dumb, ill-educated or humorless.

• Like 12

When I was younger, I thought it was sweet. My mom was appalled and a little confused by my opinion as she thought it was seriously weird.. When I had teens I picked it up again and was totally skeeved out. I'm not sure what changed but I don't like that book At All.

I understand that it's not literal but I still find it creepy. Also not a fan of Runaway Bunny or The Giving Tree. 

I always liked The Runaway Bunny, but that's because I think of it as a clean version of The Two Magicians, which of course has a lot in common with the story of Taliesin.

• Like 1

Me too. I think I once read in "Honey for a Child's Heart" or maybe it was a C.S. Lewis quote or something, that books such as these often appeal to adults, but really don't appeal to most children. I never liked The Giving Tree at all. The Rainbow Fish ... I could take it or leave it. My dc never cared for any of these. 

Books such as what?

I also dislike The Rainbow Fish and The Giving Tree, but I don't have strong feelings towards The Runaway Bunny...I kind of want to read it again after this thread, though.

I think it's more humorous than anything. I can see how it'd come off as creepy, though.

I am not a fan of Rainbow Fish or The Giving Tree. Runaway Bunny is a bit creepier, IMO.

Luckily, my kids didn't gravitate towards these sort of "deeper meaning" stories....unless you count Burger Boy, LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Burger-Boy-Alan-Durant-ebook/dp/B003LSTL3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427814393&sr=8-1&keywords=Burger+boy

No, I see why people think that, but I think that is because we aren't meant to look at it from an adult perspective.

My kids when they were young all told me at various times that they didn't want to grow up and have to leave me - that seems to be the way young kids look at the world.  I think its within that context, the book isn't creepy at all.  It isn't that the mother just says she loves him forever - she actually shows it by going acrss town and rocking him in her arms in the night.

I think for someone who is five, that really works.

I actually don't like his books for the most part - they are fun for kids, but annoying to read out loud.  I'll Love You Forever is short enough that it isn't such an issue.

• Like 1

Well, I have learned about the author and I still think it's creepy. I don't think it's a healthy message to be sharing with children, no matter what their age. It isn't healthy behavior, yet it is presented as completely normal. It is a message that does not need to be reinforced. The author could have developed a much healthier story line with which to share the verse that has such personal meaning to him. 

But I think the point being made is that it isn't being presented as completely normal.  Does anyone think it is usual for old ladies to creep into their son's bedrooms in the night?  I don't think even small kids believe that happens.

• Like 2

It's not my favourite Munch book, but it does follow his style of "a little wacky" for a laugh. I was fascinated by the way the cat was in almost every illustration and the weird way it was laying. Now we have a cat that stretches out in the exact same way.

I found "A Promise is a Promise," with the monster who live under the ice, a lot more disturbing for a children's book. There was none of Munch's wacky humour in it, either.

Those commercials make me laugh so hard!

"Old Spice! Just look what you've done!

You've gone and made a man right out of my son!

Old Spice!"

I love those. My teen sons actually texted me links to those when they came out.

As for the book.... Creepy.

But I think the point being made is that it isn't being presented as completely normal. Does anyone think it is usual for old ladies to creep into their son's bedrooms in the night? I don't think even small kids believe that happens.

Knowing people IRL who might do it if they could increases the creepy factor.

• Like 2

No, I see why people think that, but I think that is because we aren't meant to look at it from an adult perspective.

My kids when they were young all told me at various times that they didn't want to grow up and have to leave me - that seems to be the way young kids look at the world.  I think its within that context, the book isn't creepy at all.  It isn't that the mother just says she loves him forever - she actually shows it by going acrss town and rocking him in her arms in the night.

I think for someone who is five, that really works.

I actually don't like his books for the most part - they are fun for kids, but annoying to read out loud.  I'll Love You Forever is short enough that it isn't such an issue.

That's exactly the age this book is written for.  4 or 5 is such a mixd up age.  Kids have one foot in independence, and one hand clinging to mom, and they're getting into intentional trouble for the first time, and wondering if you'll still love them.  This is the age when my kid got all excited about college, but still wanted to know if I'd come along and be his roommate.  This book is perfect for that age, assuming of course that you roll your eyes while you read it and laugh about how silly it is.  Now, if you read it as a "how to" guide, you're in trouble.

I'm curious why you think his books aren't good to read aloud.  I feel as though they're written for oral story telling, with lots of repetition, which makes them so fun to share.  They often have a word or phrase that's particularly delicious on the tongue -- like the "super indelible never come off until you're dead and maybe even later coloring markers" or "Kapuskasing".  

• Like 1

Yes. MIL asked me how the honeymoon went.  As in the s*x.  I just looked at her and said "that is something I am never going to talk to you about."  

I'm sorry but this made me LOL! :lol:

As for the book, I've never had an opinion either way about it, though I could see how it could be taken as creepy.

• Like 1

I am in the creepy camp and I really love some of his other books. A few of the others are my kids' favorites. And here is my funny story... My youngest son has always been quirky and high needs since he was a baby. When he was about 10 months old, in frustration and desperation from his whimpering and fussing, I sat and rocked him while rubbing his back and singing to him. It soothed him and seemed to work magic. And so it began... The rockababy routine. Every night - always. My son is 10 now and a little on the tiny side for growth, so I was still rocking him. My daughter was teasing me and asking if I was going to rock him as an adult like that creepy book! I just laughed and laughed. Sadly, in the last couple months, the rocking has ended. He finally decided he was getting too big. I knew it would happen and I am okay with it. I promise I will not crawl in his window when he grows up! But I'm a little sad it's over.

• Like 4

I'm curious why you think his books aren't good to read aloud.  I feel as though they're written for oral story telling, with lots of repetition, which makes them so fun to share.  They often have a word or phrase that's particularly delicious on the tongue -- like the "super indelible never come off until you're dead and maybe even later coloring markers" or "Kapuskasing".  

I think you are right, they are meant for oral storytelling.  I just don't enjoy them much because they don't really fit my sense of humour - even as a child, that wasn't my thing really.  So with all the repetition, by the end of the story I am bored out of my mind.

I first read it when I was maybe 10 and found it really creepy. I've eased up a bit on my hatred of it but I still don't get the appeal.

However, the author wrote a book called Alligator Baby which is absolutely fantastic. I say that partly because you can read it super fast in funny voices, which is kind of my calling as a parent :P

• Like 2

Would people think differently about the Munsch book if the gender roles were reversed?  What if it were a dad rocking/watching/climbing in the window of his daughter?  Would that make a difference in how you viewed the book?  I was thinking about this after I posted my thread about the song:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/547156-curious-what-do-you-think-of-this-song/

Are there still some things in life where the creepy/not creepy factor is different depending on the gender of the person(s) involved?

I was thinking about why Robert Munsch would choose to write the story from a woman's point of view.  Why wouldn't he make it a dad/daughter combination?  Or a dad/son combination?

Thoughts?

I love that book. To me, it describes the IMPULSE I have to treat my adult children like babies and cradle them forever.

In real life, I think I have pretty good boundaries with them. I try to show them respect in every interaction.

Yet on the inside, I REALLY want to drive across town and sing a lullaby to my son. I think that officially make me a creepy mother.

I think of it like how a really well behaved child might like books about a naughty character because she can explore those choices without having to actually live out misbehavior.

Come to think of it, Peter Rabbit was my all time favorite character. I was fascinated by how free he was to just disobey his mother.

I liked The Giving Tree as a child, but less so as I grew up.

• Like 2

For crying out loud, I never said people were stupid. Tho some of you are taking it way to seriously. I said SOME could understand it better. And I'd have to disagree-- you have no idea whether or not everyone reading these boards understands hyperbole.

I do like the book, but I disagree that it has anything to do with hyperbole. This book is an extended metaphor about the gut wrenching love between a mother and her child. As someone who also lost a baby, I totally get what the author is trying to say. My daughter loved the book when I read it to her. In fact, even though she is now 12, we still repeat the refrain often to each other.

The book was written as a type of memorial for a baby they lost. The author wrote it so that the baby not be forgotten. I always cried when I read it. Now as a mother that lost a child who's name is rarely if ever mentioned outside my house I love it more.

• Like 4