Menu

Anyone that is 40 something getting a MMR booster?

Shellydon

In light of the recent measles outbreaks, is anyone opting to get a MMR booster?

ETA:  I am not interested in a vaccine debate.  My use of the word booster assumes that you have been previously vaccinated.  If you are part of the anti-vax crew,  you aren't going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours.

I think I got a booster before I got pg with my eldest.  Seems like my doctor recommended it because of talk at the time about the "R" part of the vaccine's immunity wearing off.  But I can't find my vaccine record and I've changed doctors a number of times since, so there isn't an easy way to confirm whether I got the booster or not.

Because of our living situation (overseas, sometimes in places where we can't assume herd immunity because the local population may or may not have been vaccinated), my family re-ups all our shots whenever they're due, as well as submitting to a few vaccines that most Americans safely skip.

Also possibly because of our living situation, and because I take frequent breaks from paying attention to the news, I have no idea you're talking about with regard to a recent outbreak  :huh:  . However, I would encourage anyone who is not philosophically opposed to vaccines to check out their records (if they still have them; I've been told that I'm very strange for still having all my records, even from childhood) and ask their doctor what vaccines may need a booster.

ETA: And yes, I think everyone who vaccinates should ask about *every* vaccine they've had. It does you no good to have had the shot at age 2 if it wore off when you were 12 and you've never had a booster, and whatever is going on with this outbreak, why not be prepared for the next one while you're at it?

do you have your full vax history & childhood illness hx?  Because I think that would impact my decision making.

I know I had all 3 diseases as a child. I think there is research ongoing about whether that immunity is lifelong but right now I'm assuming it is.

I do boost tetanus/diphtheria every 10y.

Not yet, but I'm seriously considering getting a titer done. I'm not 40+ yet, and I had the full series as a kid, but I have frequently not developed immunity when I should have -- had chickenpox at 4 and again at 8, and pertussis vaccine also wore off far sooner than it was supposed to. 

I've had the MMR booster 5 times as an adult (count 'em!)  Turns out I am not immune to rubella and for whatever reason the vaccines have not been a success for me.  I had to have the first booster when I started nursing school, and 4 others with each of my kids.  Still didn't work.  Hopefully the measles/mumps were effective.  I certainly don't want it again.  

DH and I did a few years ago.  Stuff was getting more prevalent and I too had been told while most people only need it once, others need a booster.  Our DR encouraged the booster so we did.  Nothing worse than the parents being super sick with kids.  

DS never had the MMR as a kid.  He just turned 13 and he did get the MMR at his checkup.  We talked about doing titers, but he ended up just getting the shot.  

we have never done flu shots.  I feel for the parents of kids this season that have died from the flu.  But I felt peace about getting this MMR. 

I agree with getting a titer. I had measles and mumps before the vaccines were available (and long before the three were combined to MMR). My mother thought I also had rubella (called German measles when I was a kid) but when I was getting ready for infertility treatments I had a titer and it showed no immunity so I got that vaccine. 

It's never been suggested by a doctor that I get a booster of any of the shots, but I suspect if outbreaks become more common and widespread doctors will start recommending boosters for older adults. I would get one if it's recommended, but I'd ask for a titer first.

No. I had a titer for Rubella when I volunteered at the hospital (couldn't access my records in the time frame I needed them) and I had immunity. I am not concerned about the other parts of the shot not having conferred sufficient immunity.

Have you had measles before? Not (the horribly misnamed and confusingly called) German measles (aka Rubella). The current measles outbreak is NOT Rubella and is highly contagious and can be deadly. Rubella's mortality rates are generally much lower than measles' mortality rate; though, of course, the morbidity of Rubella can be devastating to pregnant women and unborn children.

I had titres of most of the diseases commonly vaccinated against drawn as part of my job a couple of years ago. I had a (+) titre for almost everything, except HEP B. I'm a known non-responder.

Never had measles, so thinking about getting a titer done. We have family and friends in Arizona in the area where measles cases are on the rise and have a trip planned there in a few months. A friend has been posting on Facebook about recommendations from her local news about guidelines for those who should consider getting a titer and/or booster done. She is 42 and had a titer done; it showed little to no immunity, so she's getting a booster.

Erica in OR

I got my last booster (full MMR + polio) at 28, so no, but I would happily get it again.

My titres were as high as someone who had had all three, according to the doctors--they were surprised until I explained that due to perpetual disorganization I kept losing my card so had to have it three times in four years. Oops. I felt happy about having so many antibodies to pass on to the kids through breastmilk though. Lucky byproduct of my poor planning skills.

(Edit: You might wonder why they hadn't taken titres those times, and the answer is that we were in a hurry to get me overseas and working and I said go for it, I'll just take the shot.)

I've had the MMR booster 5 times as an adult (count 'em!) Turns out I am not immune to rubella and for whatever reason the vaccines have not been a success for me. I had to have the first booster when I started nursing school, and 4 others with each of my kids. Still didn't work. Hopefully the measles/mumps were effective. I certainly don't want it again.

This is same for me. Each pregnancy another booster and I am still not immune. My sister is the same.

I was thinking about this and now will go to my doctor and ask.  I am on strong immune suppressants and will get a booster if I can.  Fortunately, I am far away from CA and AZ but I am not happy about how this is spreading. 

As it is, in September, I paid out of pocket to get the bigger dose of flu vaccine  and I will have to see about this and the shingles vaccine.  I am strongly considering starting on a biologic but I really have to make sure I have all the vaccines I may need in the next several years before I do that.

I've got a physical coming up in a couple of months and was planning on asking my Dr then. I got the TDap 2 years ago when VT had a whooping cough outbreak. I took DH in to see our dr for a bad cough, which ended up being bronchitis. Dr declared it a good opportunity to jab me with a needle - I wasn't the sick one! :-) I'll check in about MMR this spring because my last shots were before college in 1995 aside from the random TDap. Well, aside from the flu shot that is- I get that every year and it's definitely worth it.

Wow I was just coming on here to post the exact same question. I had the mumps several weeks ago and now I have a secondary parotid gland infection-not fun. I was immunized as a child but they didn't start giving boosters until the 80's I believe. Now my doctor and my dentist (who I unknowingly exposed before I knew I was sick but seems fine) are both considering getting an MMR. I think I've freaked them out a bit since neither has ever met someone who had the mumps.

I do have an autoimmune disease and I'm also on a med that supresses my immune system so that is why they think I got the mumps. I have no idea where I caught them though. So now my doctors want me to get the MMR. I have to see an immunologist since its tricky since I'm on the meds I am on and the MMR is a live injection.

From what I just read about the measles outbreak at Disney apparently those people affected were not immunized or were unsure if they were or not. I'm still scared because my immune system is pretty messed up right now and if I get the measles it could be very serious. Makes me wonder too if my husband should get the booster not only to protect himself but me too. On the other hand if your immune system is messed up can't you get the measles from the shot?

I got the shot and the measles as a kid so I should be good. Right? I'm tempted to have my titers checked though. I'm the one in the household that's out and about in odd places the most.

Well, I think that's the point - if you had the vaccine as a child, has immunity worn off after 30-40 years? I had titres done for grad school admissions and had antibodies then, but 25 years down the road, do I still? We're seeing with pertussis that another booster is needed in middle age. Perhaps the same is true for the MMR.

Well, I think that's the point - if you had the vaccine as a child, has immunity worn off after 30-40 years? I had titres done for grad school admissions and had antibodies then, but 25 years down the road, do I still? We're seeing with pertussis that another booster is needed in middle age. Perhaps the same is true for the MMR.

I was hoping since I had the measles as well that that would be like a booster.

This is a good reminder.

I seem to remember having a titer done for Rubella back when I was pregnant with DS1, but nothing since then. 

I think I'll ask about a titer at my next appointment.

I'm also due for a tetanus shot.  Blech.  I hate those.  Maybe one of my kids will bring me a lollipop after. :)