Menu

I Cannot Believe What Rachel did Now!

Jean in Newcastle

Rachel of Cardholder Services, that is.  She called me and put my husband's name in the caller ID.  I was confused because it was not his number and he's supposed to be sleeping but I picked up since I wondered if something had happened to him.  (I haven't been home this morning so I wouldn't  have known if he had some kind of an emergency)  I guess they figured out that people won't pick up if it says Cardholder Services on the Caller ID.  

This happened to us this morning. It was our home number and name on our caller ID. I did answer out of curiosity because it happened to my son this summer when he was home alone and he was totally freaked out - like someone was calling from inside the house. It is a very sneaky way to get someone to answer their phone.

If Rachel would just channel her energy towards good instead of evil, she would be a stellar employee.  But as it is, I hate her. 

Back in the spring we got a new employee where I worked and she came in and introduced herself as Rachel. Without missing a beat, someone asked her if she was from Card Services. She had no idea what we were talking about but said that no, she was from Milwaukee.  

I had the same thing happen.  A call to our home phone had our phone number as the caller ID.  

I asked 'Why are you making it look like our home telephone number is calling us?'  

The idiot on the other end of the line responded with 'Maybe you should wonder how we got your number.'  

What?  I didn't even know how to respond to that, so I hung up.  Then I got even more angry than I normally do after a call from Rachel.  Hmph.  

Oh, is that who's doing that?  I've gotten those calls from myself, but figured there was a pretty good chance it wasn't me making a call to myself from the ringing phone in my hand, so I haven't been picking them up... ;)

Same here. Now I know why I've been calling myself.   :laugh:

This is called spoofing and you should report it.

I report every spam email I get to spam@uce.gov  Every. Single. One.  Yes, it's a pain.  But I hope someday I will stop getting them.  

Unfortunately, the reporting process for having telemarketers spoofing your phone number is much more complicated & time consuming.  I read into it, but figured it wasn't worth it.  

To whom?

It might be the FCC. I finally got fed up and reported a local company that kept calling and wouldn't take me off of their list. It was a total pain, but it did stop the calls.

Never heard of Rachel doing this. I can't believe they haven't shut Rachel down yet. 

Rachel is sneaky.

I'll bet she's on Santa's Naughty List.

Especially after Santa interrupted a busy day in the toy shop to answer a call from Mrs. Claus...only to discover it was not in fact an emergency but rather Rachel from Card Services. Santa will be distributing her personal number all over the world so that 7 billion people can call to wish her Happy Holidays. From inside her house.

Mine was the Ministry of Internal Revenue.  I guess the IRS had a name change!  

Oooh, I got a message from "Roger Peterson" at the Ministry of Internal Revenue.  The best part...

He left a message on my answering machine, complete with callback number.

Which makes me wonder... are people actually CALLING THEM BACK?

Jean - would you be willing to humor me a bit? What happens when you search yourself on the web? I'm thinking sites like Spokeo, etc.I

If you put in dh's name you get half a dozen hits - one of which is actually him.  Same for me.  I'm not signed up though to get the more detailed information off of the site.  I just did the free search.  

If you put in dh's name you get half a dozen hits - one of which is actually him. Same for me. I'm not signed up though to get the more detailed information off of the site. I just did the free search.

So, here's my thought - there's a surprising amount of information on those sites like your name, your children's names, parents names, ages, etc. I don't jnow for sure that it will stop Rachel, but you might look at following the website's steps to remove your information. We did that a couple of yers ago and it has cut down on some of that stuff. Plus, since some of that information is often used to verify your identity for accts/passwords, it will help security wise.

If they can put your own number as the calling party, then you can't block that number.

I'm guessing that's the reason behind it.

Why they'd want to continue to call people who want to block their calls is a good question, though.  Maybe they figure there are still plenty of phones out there were some responsible member of the family would never dream of giving money or numbers to Rachel, but there may still be people in the household who aren't on to her tricks who they can access if that responsible person can't block the calls.