Menu

How much do Thanksgiving turkeys cost in your area?

Amira

Either in the US or elsewhere, if you can get one, if you're celebrating US Thanksgiving next week.  I'm wondering about frozen, generic, whole turkeys, not anything fancy- just what's on sale this week.  If the price per pound is different depending on the size, I'm looking for turkeys that are about 15-20 pounds.  Thanks!

I paid 49 cents a pound for frozen store-brand, minimally processed turkey on Monday with a $50 purchase, one only.  

The flier we got in yesterday's paper said 79 cents a pound, and that was what the other stores said too.

I'm glad I already got mine!

$0.99/lb. for frozen standard with $25 min purchase and $1.69/lb. for fresh standard. Organic frozen is $2.19/lb. and I'm not seeing a listing for fresh organic.

DH is eating duck, which is $1.99/lb.

For the kids and me, I bought a package of organic turkey thighs and a package of organic drumsticks (we prefer dark meat). Those were $3.99/lb. so definitely a premium over buying an whole bird. But I have no desire to cook a whole huge bird when it's just 1 adult and 3 kids who will be eating turkey.

one store has them on sale jenneo 55 cents a pound or butterball for 99 cents a pound,  limit one bird with purchase of $25.  Aldi's wants $1.19 for Butterball.  One store has get a free jenneo turkey with purchase of ham (at 3.99 a pound which is more than double the price of ham anywhere else) and the other grocery store doesn't put anything on sale (their basics grocery prices are great on everything but meat so I just buy meat elsewhere) so I don't buy meat there because it's always more expensive than sale prices.

I got one for free when I spent over $150 with a coupon.  The coupon has a sliding scale depending on how much you spent.  It was 49¢ per pound if you spend $100 and 69¢ per pound if you spend $50.  It is just a generic store brand turkey.

Thanks for all your answers.  I'm trying to convince the rest of the family that buying a turkey here for the equivalent of $1.60/pound isn't worth it.  Especially since turkey isn't that good anyway.  I'd take a rotisserie chicken any day. :)

Oh, oh...what about rotisserie turkey?!  That's how we cook it.  Yummy!

Thanks for all your answers.  I'm trying to convince the rest of the family that buying a turkey here for the equivalent of $1.60/pound isn't worth it.  Especially since turkey isn't that good anyway.  I'd take a rotisserie chicken any day. :)

Ouch

I once paid something like that, but that was for a turkey off season.  

At our local grocery, 99cents for a frozen Butterball.  $1.59 for an antibiotic-free turkey.

But we are getting one free through one of the spend $300 and get a free turkey, ham or frozen lasagna deal (you can also get a certain amount of money off other things if you prefer - like a tofurkey).

47 cents a lb with $25 purchase, limit one, at one grocery for Jennie-O (not my favorite brand in general), and the same with a higher purchase (can't remember exactly right now, between $35 and $50) for a generic brand at another store. Butterballs are going for 97- 99 cents a lb. All of these are frozen, 10-24 lbs. 

We love turkey here! I have three in my freezer. One my dh got from his work for free, one I paid about 69cents a pound with a 50 dollar purchase, and one I bought today for 49cents a pound with a 100 dollar purchase. All of these are name brand and MSG/Gluten Free. We are in Oregon.