Menu

I hate Scholastic Books. There. I said it.

Chris in VA

YES!!! My kids attend school and a scholastic book order form comes home every month. Does my 7 year old dd, who is really starting to get the hang of reading, choose a Magic Treehouse book or another similar chapter book? Heck no! She chooses yet another diary (but mom it comes with a tiny lock and key!) or a silly book that comes with a cheap bracelet. My 10 year old ds, who is a very strong reader, always chooses minecraft books (before it was Pokeman). I guess I can't blame them too much. You really have to wade through all of this stuff to find the few good books that they offer. I typically try to bribe the kids with a book from Amazon or even the local book store, but they like receiving their book orders with their friends during class.

Don't even get me started on the annual book fair...

• Like 1

I went to a fair this fall and I couldn't believe how expensive everything was and why people would buy those books at that price. The irony was that the fair was held in the library!

I was disappointed with the selection. I did end up going back and buying dd a diary for Xmas that she picked out. I was certain that I could find one much cheaper, but no, so I had to go back and buy it. Dd keeps talking about that diary - it is #1 on her Xmas list, so it was worth it.

• Like 1

Well, if you can get to a Scholastic Books outlet sale, they are FANTASTIC.  I have very fond memories of spelling dictionaries (one for each child), and many "thinking" games, and some way cool picture books, animal encyclopedia-ish type books. 

That said, I cannot abide twaddle, so I'm glad we never had to do the monthly thing.

• Like 3

They have some classics and Caldecott and Newbery winners too. We have a lot of Scholastic science and nature books. The selection is better on the website than at the book fairs. I order online a few times a year and keep the frilly stationery sets and book/cheap bracelet combos to a minimum, though DD always wants those most.

• Like 3

A mom in one of the homeschool groups of which we were members had set up the group as a school for the purpose of doing Scholastic orders. This was a good eight or 10 years ago, now. My kids always got so excited about the idea of ordering books, especially since the prices were so attractive. But we often had trouble finding any actual books -- of the kind one reads -- to order. It seemed like most of the stuff was activity books and sticker books and assorted product tie-ins with the latest movie or TV show that my kids didn't watch.

• Like 2

Scholastic is a huge company. Parts of it are, yes, really lowest common denominator books. Or, in some cases, "books." But as pointed out above, they're also the publisher of Newbery winners and literary middle grades books as well as popular series books like Harry Potter. Plus they have an enormous education wing that publishes classroom materials.

The book fair thing is really supposed to be the dregs of books, sadly. It used to be a way for kids to see a mix, but I've heard it's mostly complete schlock now. I also really defend kids' right to read and enjoy the kid equivalent of a People magazine and a cheap mystery or romance... but it's so much better when there's a variety... 

• Like 14

I've been quite impressed with the books at our book fair.  Of course, I don't think all Lego books are Twaddle either.

I got the Lego Krazy Kontraptions book at this last book fair for DS's Christmas stocking.

And the Scholastic Discover More Human Body book I just picked up at the Elementary fair is getting my kids reading and interested a LOT more in the various systems (esp digestive because it overlaps with magic School bus and another book we've been reading lately)

I also saw Journey by Aaron Becker there though we've picked it up already in another place.

At the end of last year, we got The Boy Who Loved Math once when the pamphlets came home. And one about 11 inventions that failed (or something like that)

There was a Einstein book about robots that got my son interested in inventing again and a Yeti book that wasn't as read as I hoped.

So yeah, there's books there I'm not overly fond of. But there are plenty of gems to find as well.

• Like 5

I have helped with book fairs at a couple of schools, and yes, the book selection can be crappy.  But that's not what bothers me.   What I hate is all of the junk by the register - the bendy erasers and the light up pens.  It is the kind of stuff that the kids go a little crazy for.  It is total junk!  

AND, I'm pretty sure that junk has been the start of a life of crime for some kids.  

I have been the parent who is supposed to watch the stuff.  I have watched kids come to the book fair day after day, looking and looking at the $100 bill erasers and opening the smelly highlighters. They touch them, they smell them, and I'm pretty sure that on about day 3, some kids slip them into their pockets.  

I have made my own "gift certificates" for some of those kids - asking them to help move books or something so they can earn a book or trinket.  It is really heartbreaking to see a kid coveting that junk.

I'm also not entirely comfortable when it's the librarians that are pushing the sale of books.  The librarians can get a little wacko, too.  A kid comes in with money from home, there's not a lot of time, and the librarian will push her to spend every penny "ooh, looks like you have enough for one more thing!! look over there and see if you can find something on the $2.00 table!"  I once saw a kid with a bag full of silver dollars.  To me it looked like it was maybe a parent's collection, not a kid's coin stash.  The librarian didn't mind, though, and made sure she spent most of it.  

I know not all librarians are like that, but there is something about the book fair, when it's earning money for the library, that can make a librarians act different.  It just feels like they could say, "hmm, you don't have enough for that hardback book, but we have it here at the library!  Come before school and check it out for FREE!!!"

• Like 1

And let me add that I agree with some of the PPs who state that scholastic sells some great books. But when you're 7 and you see all of the shiny, flashy "books" (based on the latest movie craze, no less), you don't want a boring, old book. Or at least that's how it seems to work in my world.

• Like 2

Our schools book fairs are about 50/50 decent books and junk ($5 cellphone shaped marker sets, $3 makeup shaped erasers, etc.).  The books are more expensive than Amazon because they are full price but I am willing to support the school/library so I suck that up. I generally give my kids $20 each and let them pick out a couple of real books...no toys or trinkets.

Our local college education department holds a book fair for teaching students and that one has some great choices at great prices.

I do agree that there are some gems.

I think I'm talking specifically about the one set up at OUR school, which is just a preschool.

The selection is the equivalent of offering chicken nuggets and hotdogs--most kids love chicken nuggets and hotdogs, right? I know a lot of the little girls (and boys, not to be gender-biased) would love a Frozen Princess Sparkle Sequin Sticker book.

But parents have limited time. If they are going to read aloud at all, how about offering something with beautiful illustrations and rich language? These parents are young. Why not let them in on the possibilities, the really wonderful picture books out there!Wouldn't it be lovely to offer books like Chinaberry has (and they have bookfairs), or even just a selection that is more balanced? This is just set up on 3 long tables--it's very small for a bookfair, not like the elementary school does. Honestly, there were 2 or 3 out of probably 100 books that I would want. Only 1, only 1, was a "classic." I like Pete the Cat, and Fancy Nancy; I'm not an "only classics" person. But honestly, I was appalled at the craptastic offerings.

I'm just discouraged, because this is my first year at this charming little school, and I feel like their vision of what could be offered to the parents and children is so...limited.

• Like 7

I agree!   ETA (I agree about the bookfairs.  Schoolastic as a whole does have some excellent options)

I hate the tantrums I get every year from dd8 about buying some stupid, crappy book that she will never read.  We have a thousand books in the upstairs that she has no interest in, but that one book with glitter on it....gotta have it.  Even though she hasn't read the last glitter covered book from last years, book sale.  

I now make her pay for half of any book she buys there.  It usually takes  all of her money but it makes her happy and I hope in the long run, she starts to understand what a waste it is.  Or not......and then I wasn't the horrible mom who kept her from her prized book.  Either way, it is a win.  :0) 

We usually go the the scholastic warehouse sale. Our local warehouse is pretty big, so it's easy to find all those great books the kids skip over at the school fair. Most of the books 50% off - many are 80%. Then we get an extra $25 off at the register with the coupon from the website. I think the winter warehouse sales are getting ready to start soon.

• Like 2

I think it's really just about making money. And if you approach it like that - this is a fundraising event for the school, as opposed to, this is a book outreach event - then maybe it's less annoying.

This is how I look at it. I would much rather have a no-pressure book sale as a school fundraiser than make the kids sell junk door to door. I either pick up a few stocking stuffers or give the kids $X and let them spend it on whatever they want. I agree more with Jim Trelease's views than Charlotte Mason's on so-called twaddle, though, so YMMV.

• Like 2

But parents have limited time. If they are going to read aloud at all, how about offering something with beautiful illustrations and rich language? These parents are young. Why not let them in on the possibilities, the really wonderful picture books out there!Wouldn't it be lovely to offer books like Chinaberry has (and they have bookfairs), or even just a selection that is more balanced? 

Gently, I think it's a little condescending to assume that these parents don't make any other book purchases for their children and aren't aware of other possibilities than what's offered at a rather small book fair.

• Like 1

I work at the book fair at my son's school twice a year. I rarely order from the forms that come from both kids' schools periodically. All the sparkly erasers, "secret agent pens," etc, at book fairs do indeed annoy me. The school librarian has always tried to direct students to books as opposed to little toys, and good books when possible. And she does tell kids who can't afford the books they want when they're in the library. She'll also usually buys the popular/good books for the library if she doesn't already have them. I feel like the book selection is not ideal but is decent. There are some gems, there's some decent twaddle, and there's some worthless glittery movie/toy tie-ins.  I'm sorry to hear about librarians who seem to just be out for money, but my experience with scholastic book fairs has been much more positive than negative. OP, I'm sorry to hear your preschool's book fair is so small and shallow. Scholastic does have some great preschool offerings.

• Like 1

Chinaberry doesn't have the marketing budget that Scholastic does. Administrators know about Scholastic but may not know about some of the smaller publishers like Chinaberry. There may also unfortunately be a "no compete" clause in the contract that the school has with Scholastic (I have not seen the contract but it wouldn't surprise me if that clause was in there).

You are expressing a very common complaint about Scholastic.  Our local schools got rid of Scholastic because parents were fed up with the junk and made that displeasure known.  As a rep for Usborne, I have done book fairs at many preschools and the parents loved the fact that they are high-quality books and that they are "commercial-free."  We also have a local independent book store that does fantastic book fairs as well.  The people who select the books are people who know books.  They have a wonderful variety of good quality books.  I have shopped the book fair at our local elementary school because they do such a good job.   

Can you ask the powers that be to look into commercial-free book fair options?  If it is low-income, is there a way to get community sponsorship?  I have done that for some of the low-income preschools I have worked with. 

• Like 3

There may also unfortunately be a "no compete" clause in the contract that the school has with Scholastic (I have not seen the contract but it wouldn't surprise me if that clause was in there).

I hear about those no compete clauses and the schools act like they are so beholden to Scholastic.  The funny thing is school officials (and PTOs) seem to forget that they are the customer and they can agree or disagree to whatever terms they wish.  They can tell Scholastic "I'm sorry, but that is not good enough." rather than sign a contract with the non-compete clause.  When Scholastic is confronted with worthy competition, they back down because they don't want to lose the business.  They just like to play these mind games because, frankly, they work.  They pretend that they hold all the cards, when, in reality, the customer does. 

• Like 5

Chinaberry doesn't have the marketing budget that Scholastic does. Administrators know about Scholastic but may not know about some of the smaller publishers like Chinaberry. There may also unfortunately be a "no compete" clause in the contract that the school has with Scholastic (I have not seen the contract but it wouldn't surprise me if that clause was in there).

I don't know if our librarian looked at Chinaberry in particular. But she has looked at other options for book fairs and none of them have the selection of cheap books that Scholastic Book Fair does. A LOT of our kids come in with $5 or, max, $10 from home. She wants them to be able to go home with a book for that. (And kids are not allowed to look at the eraser/bookmark/pointer/poster table during the day without a note from their parents. They are to use their money to buy books and then go back to class)   There is one night the book fair is open late for Parents to come in even after work and can buy stuff other than books for their kid (And they can send a note if they want to allow it and can't get there that night)

We own a ton of "twaddle" and I'm ok with that. My issue with scholastic is the super cheap way they are made. They fall apart so fast!

This. I've always wondered this about the book fairs/book orders. Do they have a lesser quality print run they use for these purposes? Because I I swear, I can get the same title from Amazon, and it will look the same, but the quality will be much higher than the book fair books. It makes me crazy! Even the decent titles available (the award winners and such), fall to pieces so fast.

We get the order forms at home through our homeschool.  95% of the stuff is junk, I agree, but I also admit to also allowing DD7 or DD5 to get the occasional Judy Moody book or something I'm confident that I'm ok with them reading, even if it is "twaddle."  Otherwise I just stick to the few classics they include.

Huge bonus:  when you're the "orderer" (i.e. the teacher) you can search Scholastic's website for other books not in the order forms.  They have a bunch of good stuff that they don't advertise because it isn't the latest Disney character.  

Other bonus:  you can order a "class set" of book gift certificates, 20 certificates for $25 I think?  Each one is good for one book up to $5.  Then you can order all your other books using these certificates!

ETA:  Then you also get the teacher bonuses for your own order!

• Like 1

YES!!! My kids attend school and a scholastic book order form comes home every month. Does my 7 year old dd, who is really starting to get the hang of reading, choose a Magic Treehouse book or another similar chapter book? Heck no! She chooses yet another diary (but mom it comes with a tiny lock and key!) or a silly book that comes with a cheap bracelet. My 10 year old ds, who is a very strong reader, always chooses minecraft books (before it was Pokeman). I guess I can't blame them too much. You really have to wade through all of this stuff to find the few good books that they offer. I typically try to bribe the kids with a book from Amazon or even the local book store, but they like receiving their book orders with their friends during class.

Don't even get me started on the annual book fair...

So... I just say no to this, period. "It's a book fair, not a toy fair."

Yes, we have to debate every time. I know it's not easy but I refuse to pay those prices for cheap crap. I'd rather write a check directly to the PTA. And yes, my kids fall apart every dang time. As if they have never heard "book fairs are to buy books, NOT toys" 1,672,455 times.

• Like 2

I have not noticed my Scholastic books falling apart any faster/slower than other books.  I've got the younger Scholastic Discover More Body book that has gotten well read in that time and still looks GREAT.  There are some great Bug books as well.

Of course we're just on our 3rd year now since we started buying them.

Oh, my son's teachers in K and 1st were set up so we could go online and order books to be delivered to the teacher during the same period they sent the newsletter home. So not every book I purchased was off those flyers. THe 2nd grade teacher hasn't sent a flyer home yet :( which makes me sort of sad.

• 7 months later...

My kids scholastic books are all surprisingly durable. I gave them away to friends with younger kids.

For scholastic book fairs, the one at my local K-8 school has lots more non-fiction and a better selection overall. The ones at the K-5 schools didn't have a good selection.

• 3 years later...
On 11/17/2014 at 10:27 PM, Chris in VA said:

Uggh.

My preschool sponsors a Scholastic Book Fair this month, and we teachers have to put in a list of books (from those displayed) that we would like parents to buy for our "classroom libraries."

I can only find 2--one is a Curious George book, and one is a picture book.

I am upset at the selection offered--so.much.crap. All sparkly princess garbage, Lego-themed twaddle, etc etc.

Sigh.

Sometimes I just feel like a fish outta water.

which is a really cute book, btw đŸ™‚

58 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I guess twaddle has it's place, maybe.....

But I don't see how anyone can develop a taste for broccoli when they are fed a steady diet of Spaghettios and Fruit Loops. I think the deck is stacked against them from the start.

1) I don't think you'd get everyone in this thread to agree on what twaddle was

2) Scholastic does not just have "Twaddle" for sale.

When I was a kid, I got my Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, etc. at Scholastic book fairs

At the last Book Fair I went to (within the last 4 weeks) I saw Paddington, several nonfiction books, And a new cover version of Little Women.

It took me a little while to realize this was a zombie thread, but it was still interesting to read! 

I don't mind twaddle, if it's not gross or mean. As for the non-book items, I LOVED the Scholastic animal posters I could order in the 80's. We were not affluent by any means but I think my mom knew how much joy a poster or bookmark and one small book brought me. It was so much fun when the orders came in.Â đŸ™‚Â Â 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...