Menu

coffee drinkers, I need your advice!

mamabear2three

I remember tasting coffee when I was a teen and hated it...I don't know what kind of coffee it was, how strong or what was in it. But, I am doing several things to help lower my risk for type 2 diabetes and this was recommended to me (I already drink red wine and have made some diet changes). If I were to try coffee again, what would you recommend? 

Is there a particularly "gentle" way to introduce coffee to someone? 

If you have a coffee shop near you, that actually might be a fun experiment for a barista.  There are so many variables when it comes to different kinds of coffee and different roasts.  If you only tasted it once as a teen... well, that could have been bad social hall coffee or Grandma's percolated coffee, or something from a hotel lobby that tastes like ash.

A decent coffee shop will have light roasts and dark roasts and a few things in-between.  That's what I would start with- comparing a good quality light roast coffee with a medium roast and a dark roast and seeing what I liked or didn't like.  I would taste them black first.  Then taste with a splash of milk or cream and see if you prefer that at all. 

If you find something you actually like and prefer, then use that as a jumping point to start experimenting at home.   Almost all coffee for purchase is labeled light, medium, dark or some variation thereof.

My favorite way to drink coffee is with hot chocolate mixed in. However, I didn't drink coffee until after college and wish now that I had never started. I would not advise anyone to intentionally try to like coffee. 

Why not?  Coffee is good for you.  It has loads of antioxidants!  It also reduces the risk of diabetes, dementia, and a host of other nasty things. 

I wouldn't try drinking coffee just to lower your diabetes risk...especially because you might only like it with lots of sugar, which would be counterproductive!  I think the best think you could do would be to get more exercise.  (But I am no doctor, so bear that in mind!)

I remember tasting coffee when I was a teen and hated it...I don't know what kind of coffee it was, how strong or what was in it. But, I am doing several things to help lower my risk for type 2 diabetes and this was recommended to me (I already drink red wine and have made some diet changes). If I were to try coffee again, what would you recommend? 

Is there a particularly "gentle" way to introduce coffee to someone? 

You could try Toomer's. You could also cold brew. This method is supposed to be milder.

I like cream in my coffee. Yes, I tend to like sugar as well, but I think if I wanted to I could get used to coffee with just cream.

One of my favorite treats is a café mocha from Starbucks. I get one when I'm out early running errands or headed to an appointment.

From the grocery store, I get Community coffee. It seems smoother than others I've tried.

I prefer flavored coffees (which have artificial flavoring in them, like vanilla).  I add milk or powdered milk, plus stevia sweetener.  I add a lot of powdered milk and stevia!  I dislike dark roasts, which taste more bitter to me.  I also add a cup of coffee to a tall glass or thermal cup of ice, making iced coffee. 

ETA: you can also add many types of alcohol to coffee to make nice after dinner drinks

I prefer to brew it like tea--  (with a little salt added)  I find that it takes the bitterness away to brew it this way.  So a french press, with a medium roast, 1 teaspoon per measuring cup, and s sprinkle of salt (kosher or sea), pour the water in and let it sit for three minutes.  I used to hate coffee, now I like with without cream or sugar when I brew it this way. 

I didn't like coffee until a few years ago and now I love it! I just buy medium roast from the grocery store (Dunkin Donuts is my favorite...I don't have expensive tastes lol). I add either heavy whipping cream or half and half, vanilla, and stevia. Coffee time is my favorite time of the day :)

I started drinking coffee in my 30's.  I never liked it but started drinking cafe drinks (lattes, mochas, and such) and then started drinking regular coffee.  I love it now.

I used to like it sweet but ended up tapering off the sugar and rarely use any type of sweetener now.  I do use half and half or cream if I have it.  I also drink it iced every day there is warm weather.  We either use the leftover from the morning pot, or make a special batch stronger.  I also keep coffee ice cubes on hand.

Maybe best to start out drinking it in cafes or restaurants to see what you like, before buying a bunch in the store.  Or get a friend to invite you over for coffee - you offer to bring something to eat with it.  Make it a fun project.

(BTW I despise Starbucks coffee - it always tastes burned to me.  A guy I know in the coffee business says that Dunkin Donuts coffee is considered one of the best to brew at home, but not to drink it in the shops, as it sits around staying warm too long.) 

Thanks everyone! Great tips!

The recommendation to add this to the "easy" things I do to keep my borderline numbers lower came from the research out there associating a reduced risk of T2 diabetes and coffee drinkers, and I figure one bad experience as a teen doesn't mean I won't hate it as an adult.

Looks like I have some experimenting to do :)

We have this: http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=cold+brew+toddy

All coffee tastes crazy bitter to me, but I've tasted cold-brew mixed with milk and it's very smooth. If I had to drink coffee, I could do it this way and not barf.

DH always uses French Market coffee and chicory for cold brew. Their oldest living customers got him hooked on this coffee and cold brew back when you had to order it from LA. Now it's in the grocery store :-)

Up until two weeks ago I was using a French press. But then I got this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QVHY74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and now the coffee which is actually mocha is so rich. The difference in taste is noticeable. I put in soy milk and it's almost like eating a slice of tiramisu but without the sugar. I'm about to start grinding my own beans to see if there is a further difference.

I drink really strong coffee with 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup (or 1 heaping tsp cocoa and 1 tsp sugar) and about 1/4 cup whole milk.

I do like to add the cocoa....figured more antioxidents :)

Yeah, antioxidants... That's why I add it to my espresso drinks, too. For health reasons. I'm all about the health.

Not because it's CHOCOLATE or anything... :D

I drink my coffee like this: 1 scoop of some sort of flavored coffee (I like hazelnut and French vanilla), 2 cups of water.  Then I add a generous splash of cream (not milk) and several drops of stevia.  And sometimes a few drops of vanilla or almond extract, but not right now, because I have toffee flavored stevia, which is delicious.

Cannot reiterate strongly enough: cold brew. It's so, so smooth.

I love coffee with fat, so it's always half-and-half, or, when we have it on hand, heavy whipping cream. 

I also like to make my own creamer flavors, so I'll mix some half-and-half with whatever flavors I want (vanilla or almond extract, cocoa powder, cinnamon). I sometimes add sugar, or stevia, or honey to this. When I add a sweetener, I'll mix it on the stovetop to dissolve the sweetener. Either way, the concoction goes back into the refrigerator for a few days.

Why not?  Coffee is good for you.  It has loads of antioxidants!  It also reduces the risk of diabetes, dementia, and a host of other nasty things.

Coffee is an addictive substance that can have some detrimental health effects, including raised blood pressure, insomnia, headaches,  and anxiety. people can develop dependence after just a week of use.

http://www.dao.health.wa.gov.au/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=345&Command=Core_Download&PortalId=0&TabId=211

Coffee is an addictive substance that can have some detrimental health effects, including raised blood pressure, insomnia, headaches,  and anxiety. people can develop dependence after just a week of use.

http://www.dao.health.wa.gov.au/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?EntryId=345&Command=Core_Download&PortalId=0&TabId=211

Technically you're referring to the health effects of caffeine and the health benefits of coffee are not restricted to caffeinated coffee, in one study I read, it was stated that the impact on T2D was not negated by drinking decaffeinated coffee.

Don't get into coffee with all the "extras" -- all the fancy drinks really are not very good for you.  They are full of sugar and cream and who knows what else.    Just go for the good, pure stuff.  :)  I do add about a teaspoon of whole milk to my coffee;  it's just enough to take the edge off the bitterness for me.  I LOVE coffee. 

I think the best coffee to try to be introduced back to coffee again is either Turkish coffee (without sugar -- they usually give you a choice) or coffee made in a French press.    Or sometimes I'll sprinkle some ground cardamom into my coffee grounds and it gives it a great extra flavor.

If you go to a good coffee shop to try out coffee, you might want to also try a shot of espresso.  My favorite way to drink coffee--the crema on top is supremely satisfying.  Even with a cheap espresso-maker at home, I love my espresso.

A coffee-roaster near us offers "cuppings" once a month--it's like a wine-tasting for coffee aficionados.  That's a delicious way to get a whole lotta caffeine in one morning!  And try a variety of types of coffee.  

Cold brew is great and not bitter.  Also, if you like coconut, full fat coconut milk (I recommend Thai brand in a can) is wonderful in coffee.  I quit adding sugar at all after I started using the full fat milk.  (plus coconut milk is good for you!)

Try several different brands of coffee before making a judgement.  The taste varies widely.  

Y'all are making my coffee abstinence difficult. I recently had to give it up due to heart issues :( I switched to decaf but even that is too much. I used a Bodum French press, good organic beans, usually a dark French roast and to that I added 1/2 & 1/2 using my aerolatte. Actually I'm having one right now...in my mind, and it's delicious :lol:

The taste of coffee can vary so much. I dislike the taste of a lot of coffee. Mixing coffee with hot chocolate is a great way to get used to the flavour, and then you can gradually cut down on the chocolate and milk/cream until you find a taste you like best. Latte is great because it doesn't have a strong coffee taste and doesn't have added sugar, and you can use the % fat you prefer.

Before jumping in a buying a coffee maker/barista, go to a quality coffee shop and try some really good coffee/latte and see what you like best. There is a HUGE difference in taste between drip coffee, espresso, French press, instant; the type and quantity of coffee beans makes a big difference; and there is also a huge impact from drinking it with sugar/sweetner, cream, milk or flavoured whiteners.

Enjoy your coffee explorations!

Another vote for cold brew. It's less acidic and easier to adjust the strength of a cup when you add hot water to the concentrate. Trader Joe's sells a concentrate that would be a good starting point. If you like it, it's easy to make concentrate at home.

Another way to reduce bitterness is to add a tsp of vanilla extract to the dry grounds before brewing. It will not flavor your coffee, it just mellows it. I personally do not care for most flavored coffee, anyway; I do not like the oiliness of added flavor syrups. Sometimes I add a shake of cinnamon to the grounds to add a zing.

Treat yourself to half n half, it gives your cup of coffee a much richer flavor than just milk. I often skip the sugar altogether when using h&h.

I'm still trying to understand not liking coffee ;). Seriously, experimentation is key. A good coffee (please no Folgers, Maxwell House, etc) and if T2 diabetes is the impetus avoid those crazy sweet milkshake concoctions sold to the masses.

I think it smells great, but it tastes like nasty bitterness to me. It's not the coffee, something is just off with my taste buds and even a tiny amount of coffee is read as bitter. I LIKE some bitter foods, but this is a whole different level. I can't drink any kind of beer for the same reason. My mother is the same way.

Thanks everyone! Great tips!

The recommendation to add this to the "easy" things I do to keep my borderline numbers lower came from the research out there associating a reduced risk of T2 diabetes and coffee drinkers, and I figure one bad experience as a teen doesn't mean I won't hate it as an adult.

Looks like I have some experimenting to do :)

Espresso is the only coffee I like the taste of - as a mochaccino ....

Well, we are going to disagree on the relative merits and over that characterization as "addictive", but then I don't buy in much to the addiction theology.    A sensitive person, who reacts negatively, should not imbibe.  I don't react well to grains or sugar, so I naturally choose to keep that consumption to a minimum.  No difference. 

It's not "addictive" like meth or heroin apparently is, after repeated usage.  No one kills or robs his mother to get more coffee.    It merely becomes habitual.  Habit is not equivalent to addiction.    You might get a headache if you suddenly stop without weaning down after drinking it regularly for awhile.  Or not.

No big deal at all.   I personally have started and stopped drinking coffee for several reasons over the last 40 years or so....every pregnancy, surgery, or bigger illness, such as when I had the swine flu.  Absolutely no big deal.  I just drank some again later, when I felt like it. 

My blood test numbers are A-1 perfect, by the way, and I'm well into my 50's. 

If you have a coffee shop near you, that actually might be a fun experiment for a barista.  There are so many variables when it comes to different kinds of coffee and different roasts.  If you only tasted it once as a teen... well, that could have been bad social hall coffee or Grandma's percolated coffee, or something from a hotel lobby that tastes like ash.

A decent coffee shop will have light roasts and dark roasts and a few things in-between.  That's what I would start with- comparing a good quality light roast coffee with a medium roast and a dark roast and seeing what I liked or didn't like.  I would taste them black first.  Then taste with a splash of milk or cream and see if you prefer that at all. 

If you find something you actually like and prefer, then use that as a jumping point to start experimenting at home.   Almost all coffee for purchase is labeled light, medium, dark or some variation thereof.

I believe that there are very few true baristas.  Most people would think that Starbucks has good coffee and esspressos and I have to disagree.  I've stopped going there when I began to realize that the quality varied widely between the different shops.  Isn't that the point of a chain?  Consistency?   Most lattes are so watered down that they taste like coffee with milk.  isn't that a cafe au lait?  So, I began to make my own at home.  Kind of sucks when I want a treat and have someone else make one for me. 

You could almost say the same things about sitting on the sofa - it's "addictive" and can many of the same detrimental health effects - plus many more!

I believe that there are very few true baristas.  Most people would think that Starbucks has good coffee and esspressos and I have to disagree.  I've stopped going there when I began to realize that the quality varied widely between the different shops.  Isn't that the point of a chain?  Consistency?   Most lattes are so watered down that they taste like coffee with milk.  isn't that a cafe au lait?  So, I began to make my own at home.  Kind of sucks when I want a treat and have someone else make one for me. 

I agree. Starbucks is over-priced and the drinks aren't super great - at least not good enough to warrant the price.  I'd take a free IKEA coffee over a Starbucks anyday! Their coffee isn't bad at all.

I look for independent coffee shops with their own roasting equipment. My favourite isn't that close, but I'll always stop for a latte when I pass by. It is definitely a treat!

I agree. Starbucks is over-priced and the drinks aren't super great - at least not good enough to warrant the price.  I'd take a free IKEA coffee over a Starbucks anyday! Their coffee isn't bad at all.

I look for independent coffee shops with their own roasting equipment. My favourite isn't that close, but I'll always stop for a latte when I pass by. It is definitely a treat!

I guess it depends what you like.  Starbucks is cheaper than local coffee places here and I don't like drip coffee.  I'd rather eat my own tongue than drink drop coffee. But I much prefer Starbucks espresso. 

Cold brew coffee really is much easier on the stomach!  I have the new Starbucks Fall roast and it's fantastic.  You need to play around with flavors and brews to see what you personally like.  

I think it smells great, but it tastes like nasty bitterness to me. It's not the coffee, something is just off with my taste buds and even a tiny amount of coffee is read as bitter. I LIKE some bitter foods, but this is a whole different level. I can't drink any kind of beer for the same reason. My mother is the same way.

No coffee or beer!~gasp ~ I would be bereft. Seriously, I do think there are variations. I tend to crave bitter things but I remember doing that test where you're supposed to chew the paper that was bitter and I couldn't taste it at all. I like things super spicy too. I have weak taste buds I guess.

Well crap....as much coffee as my dh drinks, he is going to remember every single thing I say and do.  :laugh: