Menu

What would you pay for this breakfast in a nicer casual restaurant?

Julie in CA

I would say about $6-$8. I would definitely balk at some of the prices others are quoting. I would pay more if the eggs were free range and organic and the meats were grass fed locally sourced meat.

I would not order it for $20, I would go eat somewhere else. I don't know that I would order it for $15 either. I can pay $15 for a  brunch buffet with prime rib, I would not pay that for a plain eggs and meat breakfast.

I make that for my family all the time with great things from local farmers. 

That's what is throwing me too. A lot of diners serve something similar for about $5. $5.99 still seems ok too. Breakfast at a diner is usually pretty good. I mean it's eggs, bacon, and toast. That's pretty straight forward.

I don't think I'd frequent a breakfast place that charged $10 for that. That would be something very special and infrequent.

Where we live, we couldn't get eggs, bacon, and toast for anywhere near $5.00, even at a dumpy place. (I wish we could!!!)

Would you have some signature breakfast time - like cinnamon rolls or puffs?  That might make the otherwise plain 'old eggs/bacon/toast combo seem more special.  Could it be eggs, bacon (or sausage) and choice of signature baked good OR quality toast?  

Need to attract not just tourist but regulars.  Need to be more special than any Dennys or iHop nearby.  Just thinking out loud....

I'd guess it would run about $5 - $6 here.

My SIL and I go out for breakfast a couple of times a month.  I usually get a biscuit with either egg and cheese or bacon and cheese and a side of grits.  She'll usually have an egg, toast and grits.  Both of us get coffee.  The bill is a bit less than $10 total.

At a not nicer place here, that breakfast costs $4.79 -- it's the special.  It's somewhere between a diner and Denny's.  You'd have to live in the middle of nowhere to eat here, and if you were used to nicer restaurants, you would be less than thrilled.  Turns out it has the best breakfasts in town, which is not saying much.

I showed dh the Facebook page and told him what the plate would have.  He said at least $9, though around here we'd pay closer to $5.  Eldest dd said we should take a road trip to your place for breakfast.  I told her that'd be the most expensive breakfast she'd ever eat.  ;)

What does Food Network Ramsey say? Figure your cost- food, prep, salary etc, and charge double that-- or you won't stay in business.

Congrats!  I think 5.99 is too low.  How about 7.50?

Where I live, it would be at least $12.99. (Everything always seems to end in .99)

I don't go out for breakfast much, but when I do, I expect that anything I order -beyond a bagel- will be at least $10.99.  ;)

:hurray: :hurray: I love the black and white sign--looks very tastefully done.  :hurray: :hurray:

You are really making incredibly progress!

Around here a similar cafe has breakfasts starting at $7 each, but I noticed they all contained potatoes on the side also.

Wishing you all the best with your new place.

I don't know about the price--I'm just so sad that when I click your Facebook link, it tells me you're 2,380 miles away from me. *sniff*

Seriously though, I'd be thrilled to get that breakfast in a lovely place like yours for only $5.99. I think $6.99 or $7.99 is very reasonable, too.

What does Food Network Ramsey say? Figure your cost- food, prep, salary etc, and charge double that-- or you won't stay in business.

Congrats!  I think 5.99 is too low.  How about 7.50?

Where I live, it would be at least $12.99. (Everything always seems to end in .99)

I don't go out for breakfast much, but when I do, I expect that anything I order beyond a bagel, will be at least $10.99.  ;)

Oh, I've done all of the calculating. Food cost needs to fall at no more than 30%. That two egg breakfast as I'm serving it is right at that 30% maximum.