Menu

If a neighbor knocked on your door and asked if you wanted

indigomama

184 members have voted

1. 1. If a neighbor knocked on your door and asked if you wanted your walk cleared off would you

• Assume he was just being nice
    • know he wanted paid
    • Other

he would want to be paid, otherwise he would just shovel it without telling you.  At least that has been my experience.  In our old house, our neighbor across the street just loved shoveling snow, he would do everyone's houses, early in the morning and never even wanted a thank you.  Where we live now, our neighbor 2 doors down has a snow blower and he loves getting that thing out and doing all the sidewalks, I shovel out our driveway and walkway of front porch.

Well, I feel stupid now. He asked "do you want your sidewalk shoveled?" I replied, "yes, that would be great." Naively thinking how nice of them. Then his 5 yo pipes up, that's $10.  

I kind of blundered, and then said, I don't carry cash usually but I had 5 one dollar bills, so I handed it over. Then the kid says, "we take checks."

I really don't have money to be throwing around. My DH was going to clear them when he got home from work, plus it's still snowing.

Ugh, I hate the snow. 

Well, I feel stupid now. He asked "do you want your sidewalk shoveled?" I replied, "yes, that would be great." Naively thinking how nice of them. Then his 5 yo pipes up, that's $10.

I kind of blundered, and then said, I don't carry cash usually but I had 5 one dollar bills, so I handed it over. Then the kid says, "we take checks."

I really don't have money to be throwing around. My DH was going to clear them when he got home from work, plus it's still snowing.

Ugh, I hate the snow.

They should say "Do you want your sidewalk shoveled for $10" rude to ask and then say it'll cost ya

In our neighborhood, if it was an adult I knew by name I would assume s/he was being nice.

If it was an adult I did not know, I'd probably ask to clarify.

If it was a teen or young adult, whether I knew them or not, I'd probably ask as it could be equally likely that s/he was either a) trying to earn some spending money, or b)being neighborly whether it was self-motivated or prompted by a parent.

Snow here is unusual, so owning a snow shovel is rare.

Cat 

My brothers used to snowblow driveways in our neighborhood for pay, but it was always phrased as "I'm snowblowing for $X per driveway, would you folks be interested?"

With some of the elderly neighbors on fixed incomes, they would do it pro bono just to be nice since it didn't actually take them all that long per driveway. I'm pretty sure they asked permission before doing that because we were raised not to trespass on others' property.

Ugh, I hate the snow.

After they said the price, you could have said no thank you; I thought you were being neighborly. It wasn't too late to back out of your initial yes response. I would feel terribly awkward in that position too!

On my block people often help each other out by shoveling drives and walks. They never ask and sometimes never know who did theirs.  So yes, if someone knocked I'd assume they were expecting payment and I'd followup with "How much?"

I agree, though, it was awkwardly presented if they wanted payment.

After they said the price, you could have said no thank you; I thought you were being neighborly. It wasn't too late to back out of your initial yes response. I would feel terribly awkward in that position too!

Yes, I could have backed out, but I was just confused, and my kids were bouncing around the door, and I felt like a deer in headlights.  :blink:

Now, I know better the social graces of "snow living".  :blush:

Yes, I would assume they'd want to be paid. We get that here. There are a couple of guys that will go around shoveling for pay. After knocking a few times, they know we will do it ourselves. We, too, are slower at getting around to itWe have one neighbor that we would shovel for free last year, but this year we've had health issues that make it harder to get our own part done. 

I would not ever expect an adult neighbor to offer his services to me for $$.  I could see a scenario where one would ask ahead of time to get permission but neighbors going door-to-door offering shoveling for a fee would be strange to me.  & I've always lived in snow-country.  & neighbors help other neighbors just to be nice.

I would probably assume they wanted to be paid, especially if they were on the younger side.  If they were being nice, they would have just done it.  

After big, windy storms, my neighbor and I would work together and do everyone's driveways (& houses, including our own) and the entire street.  We never asked if they wanted it done first; we just did it.

Huh. I wouldn't have assumed they'd want money, I'd have been just as confused as you. But I'm not from a snow area. It makes sense that if you're trying to be nice, you just do it without asking. People coming door to door to ask if we want yardwork done kind of annoys me but we probably get it more than most people because my husband hates mowing and he lets it get a little shaggier than our neighbors would like it.

When my husband has cleared off (elderly) neighbor's walks, he's done it to be nice. But he just did it, he didn't ask if they wanted it done. I would assume a person asking is likely hoping to get paid, just as I would if a person comes up and asks if you'd like your lawn mowed. I have had the lawn mowing scenario, but we live in a snow area and no one has ever offered to clear a sidewalk.

Edited to add:

So you're new to the area and this was an adult with his 5 year old. I think I might have thought they were just being neighborly under those circumstances.

I think the approach they took was obnoxious. I would have expected they might hope for an offer of payment--your choice of amount--and then thought "oh well, I tried" if you didn't offer. I wouldn't have expected them to name their price up front after you've agreed and then tell you to write a check when you only had half in cash!

I'll be the mean one. While I understand completely about being caught off-guard, here is what I would secretly wish I'd done:

Reply to the offer: "I'd love to have the walk cleared, why thank you!" Then quickly close the door without making any promises/questioning price.

If they do it assuming payment, you can let them enjoy the sensation of being cornered and tricked. ("Oh my. I thought you were being neighborly! I wouldn't have accepted if I'd know you were charging so much. So sorry for the misunderstanding, Mr. Jones and Jr. Jones." Then quickly close the door without making any promises or further statements. You could always go over later and pay them if you feel bad stiffing them.

If they don't feel comfortable shoveling your abrupt disappearance from the door then they will move on and it will be no harm no foul on both sides.

Yes, I could have backed out, but I was just confused, and my kids were bouncing around the door, and I felt like a deer in headlights.  :blink:

Now, I know better the social graces of "snow living".  :blush:

The way they did it was sneaky and obnoxious. If he ever needs anything from a neighbor around there, I hope you or they charge him ten bucks! 

On my block people often help each other out by shoveling drives and walks. They never ask and sometimes never know who did theirs.  So yes, if someone knocked I'd assume they were expecting payment and I'd followup with "How much?"

I agree, though, it was awkwardly presented if they wanted payment.

Yep, this. Where I grew up, neighbors shoveled each other's driveways all the time. It was very common, and it was usually anonymous. So if someone asked first, I guess I would assume they wanted to be paid. But yes, that was a very strange way for them to approach it.

Guest submarines

They should say "Do you want your sidewalk shoveled for $10" rude to ask and then say it'll cost ya

It is a sneaky tactic that they used, and I don't have a problem saying, "Oh, I thought you were offering to help out, since my husband won't be home until later. I'd rather have one of my kids do it. Thanks anyway."

ETA: OP, how long is your driveway? $10 is a lot to ask for an average city driveway.

Guest submarines

Just some food for thought: If someone cleared my driveway without asking, just to be neighborly, my kids would have been really upset, because the love shoveling the snow. I would've still appreciated the gesture, but I would have appreciated it more if they asked first--if my kids were sick, for example, I would've have appreciated the help.

So even if you want to be nice and neighborly (yay!), it is still nice to ask.

It is a sneaky tactic that they used, and I don't have a problem saying, "Oh, I thought you were offering to help out, since my husband won't be home until later. I'd rather have one of my kids do it. Thanks anyway."

ETA: OP, how long is your driveway? $10 is a lot to ask for an average city driveway.

I have a very small/normal driveway, but since I only paid $5, he only cleared the immediate sidewalk in front of my very typical sized house.

Typical of how things are done here in Nj. When asked if you want to have your walk/ driveway shoveled you would ask "how much?" Then you could decline the offer or haggle.

If you don't wish to pay then you tell them no thanks.

If they're doing it for free, typically they just do it.

Rude would be shoveling and then knocking and asking for payment.

But I'm from New Jersey, it has been said we can be a bit ride.

In my neighborhood people help each other. But if it's the first time someone does it, they always ask first. Some people are VERY particular and would get mad to find a neighbor shoveling their walkway.(Or in our case, we pay a service so if they show up to plow the driveway but the sidewalk is cleared, they don't give us any discount. )  Really, some people want the snow piled just on one side, or something weird like that. 

If the person expected money, it should be stated in the first sentence. We've had people ask- and they tell how much they want to be paid. 

Once a guy shoveled my sidewalk at the street and one of my kids came to tell me a guy was shoveling- it wasn't a neighbor. Then he came to the door demanding payment for the work. I offered to call the police for him so he could tell the kind officer that I refused to pay for work I didn't authorize. He declined, called me a name, and left, only to shovel a few doors down. I called the cops and they made him leave the neighborhood. 

I think your neighbor was tacky to phrase it like a goodwill gesture only to have his kid tell you the price. 

I'd assume he was doing it to be nice. Where I'm from in Colorado, everyone helps everybody. Dh has regularly plowed driveways and side streets for free...it's just what you do.

Also in Colorado.  We live on a street with just 12 houses on large rural lots.  Half of the owners are elderly.  When it snows, ds (17) and dd (15) head out with their shovels for "P.E.".  There is no way any of us could stand it if the elderly neighbors were out shoveling and we were not helping.  Many times, they have offered to pay the kids, but the kids will not accept it (their decision, nothing that dh or I said to them). However, they have accepted cookies, fudge, and even a poem from the neighbors on occasion  :001_smile: .

NicAnn is right, it's just what you do.  It's called being "neighbors", not just living on the same street.

I think I would have been a bit stunned by the gentleman at the door, as well.

Guest submarines

I have a very small/normal driveway, but since I only paid $5, he only cleared the immediate sidewalk in front of my very typical sized house.

He wouldn't win any prizes from me for that behavior. :ack2:

Where we live, I don't know of anyone who would charge less than 50 bucks to clear the snow off a driveway, and that wouldn't include the front walk or any sidewalks. I would be beyond thrilled if someone would do it for $10.

wow Cat, $50.  I actually don't even know what shoveling cost here as I actually like shoveling snow.  I know I am crazy but I find it exhilarating .  But not enough to go around doing other people's driveways and charging for it.  I just do my driveway and front steps,  our neighbor does all the sidewalks with his snow blower.

Typical of how things are done here in Nj. When asked if you want to have your walk/ driveway shoveled you would ask "how much?" Then you could decline the offer or haggle.

If you don't wish to pay then you tell them no thanks.

If they're doing it for free, typically they just do it.

Rude would be shoveling and then knocking and asking for payment.

But I'm from New Jersey, it has been said we can be a bit ride.

Another Jersey girl (and former New Yorker).  This pretty much sums it up.  I chose other, though, because it would depend if it was neighbor kids (clearly being enterprising) or an adult.

My neighbor loves using his snowblower and I am extremely grateful that he comes and does our corner house.  He loves the cookies I bake him in return.

Yesterday my DH and ds shoveled the end of our driveway so we could get out of it. Once the snow plows go through, we have wall of snow along the street. So, the boys shoveled that, and then went over to our 80-90 yr old widow neighbor's to shovel both ends of her circle driveway and a path to her mailbox, not from the house, but so the mail could be delivered to her.

While working on our driveway first, they saw the man who lives across the street from the widow. We're in a rural area, and while folks are friendly, we keep to ourselves. We've talked to him before though and bought eggs from him. He was teasing DH and ds that his job was easier than theirs b/c he had a plow and could finish clearing his driveway in seconds. When he saw my two shovel the neighbor's place, he asked, "Are you doing that for free?" He could not believe it. Now, this is NOT a comment on northerners, but he's from New York. We are native Virginians. He could not get over the fact that anyone would do that for anyone for free. Dh didn't even knock on their door, he just took care of them. He's that kind of guy.  :001_wub:

I'm on the eastern seaboard at my brother's house (mom passed away earlier in the week) and we got 8 inches of snow.  It was supposed to be a really wet snow, there are only two young-ish homeowner guys in a neighborhood of mostly older folks, and he's a kind guy, so bro and his youngish son got out at 11pm to shovel off the first couple of inches off four or five driveways while it was a push/scrape job.  The next morning they hit it again, shoveling walkways to the street for each neighbor through the six-seven additional inches of really heavy wet snow.  The other guy got out his four-wheel truck and packed the snow on the street by running back and forth so people could get up to the main road.

In this neighborhood, if someone asks, they want to be paid.