Menu

Would you buy a used couch?

Aspasia

We have had our eye on the Ikea ektorp corner sofa for awhile now. With the slip cover we want, it's $1000. Yesterday someone posted this very couch--same slip cover--for $300 on craigslist! I'm so very tempted. That's how much the slip cover alone costs. The picture of it is in a room that looks clean and nicely kept (seems like that would be a given, but you've seen craigslist ads). I would obviously wash the slip cover and probably vacuum the couch with my Kirby. Is this crazy? Should we just spend the $1000 and get the new one?

Only from someone I know. Our current coaches came from my SIL---they are expensive ones (she has more money than we do) and seldom used as they were in a 'spare' room in the house. So I knew they were good quality and in decent shape. She was redoing the room and offerd them to us when we moved :-)

Sure, just check it out thoroughly before you buy it to make sure no one was born or conceived on it... :o

If you live in an area with brown recluse spiders, vacuum the entire underside for egg sacs. We brought in a sofa from the basement and a big BR spider scrabbled away after we put it upstairs. Turned it over and there were several egg sacs sticking to the bottom.

No way.  Bedbugs.  I am not afraid of roaches, spiders, etc.  But bedbugs can live up to a year without feeding, and once in your house, are a nightmare to eradicate.  They are hard to detect in the larva stages and are fast.  They can live behind electric switches, in your books, in clothes, cushions, pillows, carpet...if they infest your bed and you put traps on the feet of your bed, they can climb the walls and drop onto you from the ceiling. 

Every piece of clothing would have to dried on very hot and stored away from the house until the treatment was done, every book put through a packtite, and massive exterminator treatments in some cases.  If you caught it very, very early, you might be able to isolate it to one room and the treatment may be easier...if you could stomach staying in that room to be bate so they wouldn't spread to another room to find you, until you could treat.  Nightmare!

I have (unfortunately) read so  many stories about them, though I've never had them.  I am really afraid of them because with our homeschooling books and kid clothes, etc...if they got into our house, it would be really, really awful to try to treat.

Well, this isn't helping! Half of you are voicing my same concerns and attitudes--I've generally thought I would never buy a used couch, and I still won't ever consider buying a used mattress. But the other half of you are voicing what the other half of my brain is saying. Hmmm...

Dh is leery, but he ultimately leaves all these types of decisions up to me.

Such a good deal..........

I thought about it once and my sister said, "Um, people have sex on couches". That pretty much doomed the idea for me.

Do you not sit on other people's couches when you go to visit their home?

I've had sex on a lot of my furniture.  I didn't burn it afterwards.  I even let my friends sit on it when they visit.  Heck, my kids are sitting on my couch right now.  It does get cleaned up now and again. 

I check the beds etc when I go to a hotel. I use the flashlight on my phone to look around the mattress and I take off all the sheets and look between the mattresses etc. I keep the suitcase in the bathroom and nowhere near the rug or furniture.

And yes, I do sit on people's couches, but I don't often go to the homes of strangers. If I did I would worry more about it.

I also worry about going to the movies. I have heard of people getting bedbugs at movie theaters and bringing them home. It hasn't kept me from going to the movies, but I do worry.

I don't care about people having had sex on the couch or bed. That is just sex. I worry about bedbugs and stuff like that.

Check it out, and if everything feels right (clean, etc) - it sounds like a great deal!

I'll put in a few plugs for buying used, clean furniture, because this thread needs them - new furniture outgasses VOCs. Yuck. Used furniture saves something from the landfill - good for the environment. Just a few positives, to offset the bedbugs. :)

Our couch is from Craig's list.  It is a nice leather one that looked like brand new for a great price.  Ds and I went to go get it and the house was spotless.  The lady said it was rarely used and assured me that her day care kids were never allowed to sit on it.  SHE about died when she noticed that we planned on putting this couch in a horse trailer to move it.  We HAD swept it out but she went and got a broom so we could get every bit of sawdust out of the trail..........then she got cardboard to cover the floor of the trailer, etc.  She was much more concerned about it than we were.

Do you not sit on other people's couches when you go to visit their home?

I've had sex on a lot of my furniture.  I didn't burn it afterwards.  I even let my friends sit on it when they visit.  Heck, my kids are sitting on my couch right now.  It does get cleaned up now and again. 

I sit on other people's couches when I'm fully clothed. I don't nap there or get nekkid myself. 

Personal comfort level. Couches are on par with mattresses to me. :)

I'd be very leery. Although, I said I'd never buy a mattress on Craigslist.....but then the Ikea bunk bed system that I'd been eyeing at Ikea for years came up for sale locally on CL for $85. I couldn't pass it up! It came with both bunks, two mattresses, mattress covers, slats, and canopy. It was in great condition.....I bought it. No issues. I did wash the mattress covers in very hot water!

We have had our eye on the Ikea ektorp corner sofa for awhile now. With the slip cover we want, it's $1000. Yesterday someone posted this very couch--same slip cover--for $300 on craigslist! I'm so very tempted. That's how much the slip cover alone costs. The picture of it is in a room that looks clean and nicely kept (seems like that would be a given, but you've seen craigslist ads). I would obviously wash the slip cover and probably vacuum the couch with my Kirby. Is this crazy? Should we just spend the $1000 and get the new one?

Possibly, if the house were exceedingly clean and I checked it out thoroughly. 

No way. Bedbugs. I am not afraid of roaches, spiders, etc. But bedbugs can live up to a year without feeding, and once in your house, are a nightmare to eradicate. They are hard to detect in the larva stages and are fast. They can live behind electric switches, in your books, in clothes, cushions, pillows, carpet...if they infest your bed and you put traps on the feet of your bed, they can climb the walls and drop onto you from the ceiling.

Every piece of clothing would have to dried on very hot and stored away from the house until the treatment was done, every book put through a packtite, and massive exterminator treatments in some cases. If you caught it very, very early, you might be able to isolate it to one room and the treatment may be easier...if you could stomach staying in that room to be bate so they wouldn't spread to another room to find you, until you could treat. Nightmare!

I have (unfortunately) read so many stories about them, though I've never had them. I am really afraid of them because with our homeschooling books and kid clothes, etc...if they got into our house, it would be really, really awful to try to treat.

Two years ago i would have said yes, get it. But then two years ago I got bedbugs. We found them fast and so it was "easy" to treat. Even being "easy" it was a nightmare. And yes, you have to sleep in your bed while they bite you until the extermination treatment kicks in. If you leave your bed at night to sleep somewhere else they follow you and infest more of your house.

No used couch. The second favorite place for bedbugs is in the couch where their prey (you) sits still in the evening relaxing.

And yes, I do worry about picking up bedbugs at other people's houses and movie theaters. It was a terrible mess to treat. We had to throw lots of stuff away. You just don't always know where the nest is so everything needs to be checked. Exhausting.