Menu

Giving kid food budget, stupid idea?

Plateau Mama

:grouphug:

Here is a vitamin he should be able to tolerate, it is available from Amazon if you do not wish to order from them direct, I have ordered from their site with no problems, though:

http://www.nutricology.com/Multi-Vi-Min-150-Vegetarian-Caps-p-16523.html

I take their buffered vitamin C powder with each meal, it helps with my food allergies.

http://www.nutricology.com/Buffered-Vitamin-C-240-Grams-8.5-oz-Powder-p-16435.html

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have kids with food sensory issues but wanted to address the budget idea. I have a friend who is trying a radical unparenting style in an attempt to give her kids more autonomy. Each week her kids are given their food allowance (I think $100 each) and told to grocery shop. She will allow them to share any meal she makes but only if they ask. They are not allowed to touch each others' food. She said the first week all they bought was candy. Progressively they all started buying healthier foods. Now the system works well because child A can buy an item that only s/he likes whereas my friend wouldn't have bought it before because it wasn't "fair". So just an example of how it can work given time.

You might want to see if you can explain and get him to try a rotation diet with some new foods. It is impossible to be allergic to a food you have not eaten unless the food family is really close like elk and deer.

You are more likely to become allergic to something you eat every day, so a rotation diet helps prevent developing new allergies.

Here is my current rotation diet, it includes some wild game and ethnic foods that might be good to try. I get taro root at oriental markets, it tastes similar to a potato when cooked. Teff flour is a gluten free grain than makes a nice pancake, it is an Ethiopian grain that is gluten free. I also have enjoy life chocolate chips, they are free of the top 8 allergens, all of which I am allergic to except wheat.

Day 1: Pizza day! My favorite. Flour, yeast, tomato paste, sheep cheese, Italian seasonings, a bit of olive oil.

Day 2: Chicken, rice, spectrum organic shortening, banana

Day 3: Venison or elk, teff flour, mango, avocado, my shortening

Day 4: Quail, squash, melon (squash and melon are in same food family, so need to be eaten on the same day) potatoes, olive oil

Day 5: Pork, taro root, lettuce, olive oil

Plateau Mama, I don't have any experiences to share with you, but I just wanted to say that I think you're a great mom for trying to figure out what will work for your son. :grouphug:

In an attempt to bring this thread back around to your original question, I think the food budget idea is worth a try. If it doesn't work, no harm done, but if it does, it could be excellent for both you and your son.

Outdoor grill? :)

My grandmother used to set out a bowl of white vinegar and light a candle when she cooked fish. She hated the smell and her exhaust fan was pitiful.

do yo think it would help if I set it out afterwards? There is no way he would tolerate the smell of vinegar.

The only thing I kinda wonder about is if he's needing more calories, is limiting him to $50 a good idea? My 11.5 yo eats through about 4000 calories a day as he is growing up an inch a month.

Oldest has sensory issues and mild oral sensory stuff---taking a "when you are an adult" approach has been helpful. We studied nutrition and menu planning and we've been working on basic kitchen skills.

Caked on oatmeal is disgusting. We have taught him to make it in the microwave with a papertowel underneath. If it overflows, all he has to do is throw away the papertowel. Our dishwasher takes care of the rest. If this is a big issue, buy the kid a stack of cheap paper bowls if he is willing to use them.

Oldest has learned to like rice this year made in a ricemaker. Something about the texture changed. Basmati or jasmine are both ok. They've been a great resource for calories. I toss that out there because it came to mind for some reason--in any event, he can make it himself.

well right now I'm surprised if he eats 1000 calories a day. We have talked till we are blue in the face about needing more calories & fat. The more we talk the less he eats. He eats a lot of rice and I taught him last month how to use the rice cooker.  

Oh, sounds like a Brer Rabbit idea (don't throw me in that briar patch, oh, please ).  Is there anything else you can't stand the smell of??

;)

Oatmeal can be made in a rice cooker. Maybe that would be less messy.

I haven't tried oatmeal in the rice cooker, I tried the crockpot and it was a bust.

Here is a vitamin he should be able to tolerate, it is available from Amazon if you do not wish to order from them direct, I have ordered from their site with no problems, though:http://www.nutricology.com/Multi-Vi-Min-150-Vegetarian-Caps-p-16523.html

I take their buffered vitamin C powder with each meal, it helps with my food allergies.http://www.nutricology.com/Buffered-Vitamin-C-240-Grams-8.5-oz-Powder-p-16435.html

these look safe as well. Thanks!

I think that the budget idea is fantastic.  It may or may not work, but it will certainly give you some insight into how much of the issue is autonomy and how much is sensory.  Try it!!  (and please report back to let us know how it goes)

With  my last pregnancy, I could taste the difference between a certain store brand and other milk.  To this day, we don't buy that store brand anymore and it used to be the main milk that we bought up until I got pregnant.  So I have have no doubt that he could taste the difference.

I used to think that I was crazy because I swore that milk tasted different in the Fall and Winter than it did in Spring and Summer.  I never minded the difference, but simply noticed the change every year.  I finally learned, while on a trip to a local farm, that the cows are switched to less grass and more feed during the winter months.  Ha! It wasn't my imagination!  It makes sense that the OP's son could be able to taste the difference cows fed on different kinds of grass/grain than is local to the area.  Logic dictates that they would be a bit different.

To the nay-sayers - To say that SPD is a result of poor discipline or bad parenting is beyond ignorant, it is mean.  

The only thing I kinda wonder about is if he's needing more calories, is limiting him to $50 a good idea? My 11.5 yo eats through about 4000 calories a day as he is growing up an inch a month.

<snip>

If I understand correctly, he will also have access to family meals and food. $50 a week sounds like quite a lot to me, for one person! 

I've no advice to offer.  I'm one of those very fortunate parents that have never had an argument over food, not that they like everything, but no arguments.  I remember being a little smug about it until my nephew came to stay with us.  It was a lesson I deserved, and one that I remember.  The most perfect, best parent in the world could not have gotten him to eat certain foods.

I just wanted to encourage and applaud you for looking for other ways to work with your son in this area.

Prairiewindmomma,

You have a tough situation! If I understand, your ds has both sensory issues and control issues. You want to move from boxed food to fresher food, right. Overall, I the the money idea sounds good, but several things make me hesitate a bit. First, it's a pretty abrupt change -- could ds instead come to the store with you, put his food in a separate cart, separate receipt? You would have to give him an approximate budget (and a calculator, I guess). If I were in your shoes, I would probably be willing to go over budget for a bit, rather than trying to teach an 11 year old boy food shopping for a different type of food than what he is used to AND food budgeting at the same time. In other words, maybe transition into giving ds more control?

Obviously, I don't know your ds, but so many sn kids I know do best with support While they transition to something new.... So that is where I am coming from.

You might want to see if you can explain and get him to try a rotation diet with some new foods. It is impossible to be allergic to a food you have not eaten unless the food family is really close like elk and deer.

You are more likely to become allergic to something you eat every day, so a rotation diet helps prevent developing new allergies.

The Dr.s (note plural) have explained it to him, we've explained it to him. We've tried to map a meal plan with him that doesn't repeat more than twice a week (per dr recommendation).

If I understand correctly, he will also have access to family meals and food. $50 a week sounds like quite a lot to me, for one person!

yes, the $50 in addition to whatever I buy or make. I am going to pose it as we spend $250 a week for 5 people. Here is your share. We all know that the money goes farther if we are all eating the same menu, but he doesn't. I think, if nothing else it might give him a reality check to how much things cost.

Prairiewindmomma,

You have a tough situation! If I understand, your ds has both sensory issues and control issues. You want to move from boxed food to fresher food, right. Overall, I the the money idea sounds good, but several things make me hesitate a bit. First, it's a pretty abrupt change -- could ds instead come to the store with you, put his food in a separate cart, separate receipt? You would have to give him an approximate budget (and a calculator, I guess). If I were in your shoes, I would probably be willing to go over budget for a bit, rather than trying to teach an 11 year old boy food shopping for a different type of food than what he is used to AND food budgeting at the same time. In other words, maybe transition into giving ds more control?

Obviously, I don't know your ds, but so many sn kids I know do best with support While they transition to something new.... So that is where I am coming from.

. Yes, he had sensory issues, control issues and several food allergies to boot. I want him to eat a more whole foods diet. (The rest of the family is pretty much Paleo.). I've tried the budget thing, I've tried explaining how much his things costs. He wears it more like a badge of honor. "My mom spent $125 on my food last week." I am totally planning on going to the store WITH him to help him. Except Costco, I will price out what he likes from there so he knows what it will cost him. Also, if he wants healthy food/fruits that are in season I will pay for it. If he wants blueberries that are $8/pint he will buy them.

This topic really is close to my heart bc I was that child. My mother used to make me sit at the table until I ate every thing on my plate. I would fall asleep a lot at the table. It is definitely sensory issues. I still have them but I can also control things alot better as far as buying what I want and eating when I want too. I was very very skinny growing up and had anemia. Also, this mentality of eating whatever when the kid is hungry enough, nope not going to happen with a sensory kid. I get teased at work for eating the exact same microwavable prepackaged lunch. I get upset when I can't find and I will pay extra for it if another store has it. I have back up lunches that I can tolerate but I feel your pain OP. My issues then were not as severe as your child but it did effect my health and I would not eat even if I was starving. 

The budget thing is a good idea. Could he also have a hand in making the grocery list? I do that with my daughter bc she likes to eat alot of one thing and then will get tired of it and it shows a real life skill of making a list for the grocery store and following a budget by making that list.

The budget thing is a good idea. Could he also have a hand in making the grocery list? I do that with my daughter bc she likes to eat alot of one thing and then will get tired of it and it shows a real life skill of making a list for the grocery store and following a budget by making that list.

I am going to takes him to the store(s) and help him create a price list so he can have an idea what he can buy within his budget. Then he can sit down (or not ) and figure out what he wants that week. If I'm not feeling too neglectful I might even make him an excel spreadsheet where he can just put in the quantity of an item and it will tally it up for him.

I went through feeding issue hell with my oldest, we finally got the child to eat when we told her she was getting a g-tube and actually scheduled the procedure. When its impacting them that much its time for more radical steps such as feeding tubes. It by passes the sensory issues and gets nutrition into the child while your work on the oral issues. I know, you didn't ask for advice, just what worked for us. The kids eats pretty much everything I put in front of her these days:)

This topic really is close to my heart bc I was that child. My mother used to make me sit at the table until I ate every thing on my plate. I would fall asleep a lot at the table. It is definitely sensory issues. I still have them but I can also control things alot better as far as buying what I want and eating when I want too. I was very very skinny growing up and had anemia. Also, this mentality of eating whatever when the kid is hungry enough, nope not going to happen with a sensory kid. I get teased at work for eating the exact same microwavable prepackaged lunch. I get upset when I can't find and I will pay extra for it if another store has it. I have back up lunches that I can tolerate but I feel your pain OP. My issues then were not as severe as your child but it did effect my health and I would not eat even if I was starving.

Me, too. I was skinny, ate just about nothing, sat at the table staring at 2 bites of steak for 3 hours a night, unable to summon up the courage to gag them down. Anemic. The day I got a job and a car was the best day ever. I ate chicken fingers at Bob's Big Boy every chance I got. And lots of spaghetti. No more gagging down mom's meals.

Today, it's tough to eat a casserole made by another person--too mushy. I eat the same stuff over and over and over.

When I was a child I rejected dairy and creamy foods out of hand, starting long before I could talk or communicate. Would not drink/eat them. Period. At all. As it turns out, I am lactose intolerant and extremely sensitive to most dairy. So I do think that children can certainly be letting people know what is/isn't good for them with what gets labelled pickiness.

I think a trial run of your budget sounds like a great idea to help him. I am sorry it's such a stress for him and for you now.

I have a child who has some food issues, not as severe as your child, but some (Asperger's).  I usually end up just buying some foods I know he likes or will eat.

I would suggest NOT Costco, unless you think he really should buy the $20 bag of nuggets (or whatever) and eat the same things all month.  The portions are just too large.  AND, if you have other kids, they will quite probably want some too.

Many think I baby him too much, but again, those are the ones who don't have a special needs child.

I understand the "will starve himself" point all too well. In our case, it was a long, frustrating road to eating well. BUT, the bigger issue (imo) is the behavioral side of cooking and cleaning. I can't think of any wonderful advice. I'd be begging for professional help until I found someone who ""got" it. I can handle whining, complaining, and procrastination. Outright defiance would put me over the edge.

I've showed him the family menu for the week so he knows where he needs to fill in, I've offered to make all his baked goods one day a week. If I make ore than one thing in advance for the week he either eats it all in one day or decides the next day that's it's gone bad and won't eat it. I'm not getting up at 5am every morning to make him fresh, allergen free muffins. Once or twice a week sure, but not every day.

Will he eat baked goods from the freezer? How about if he bakes them? Does he like to bake? You mentioned he likes to cook. Maybe he would eat his frozen baked items.

Oh, sounds like a Brer Rabbit idea (don't throw me in that briar patch, oh, please ).  Is there anything else you can't stand the smell of??

;)

Oatmeal can be made in a rice cooker. Maybe that would be less messy.

This is an interesting idea. Might be worth a shot. Sometimes a mama has to try all sorts of sneaky things.

I have a child who was starving himself and malnourished. He was 56" and weighed 52lbs. His GI had him drinking Duocal. It's a calorie supplement drink. It's coconut and corn based though so I'm not sure if your ds can have it. It worked great though. It has no taste and no texture.

Oh, and the budget sounds like a good idea to try.

I do not know much about this myself, but my sister had a son who ate about five things in the first twenty years of his life.  She was a single mother with a low income and could not afford to try lots of different foods, etc.  As soon as he was old enough to cook (probably about your son's age), she just made sure to have the five things on hand that he liked, and gave him a recipe book.  Of course she always made dinner for herself and her other two children, and he was always offered them.  She didn't pressure him, just had the recipe book available and ingredients that were simple.  That included:  pasta (he would only eat it with butter), frozen cheese pizza, rice, white bread, and a couple other things.  She was worried about his health, but she felt their relationship and peace at home was more important than his eating a balanced meal.

He is now around 32, and he has added plain, unflavored meat to his diet, but no fruits or vegetables.  He is happy and has a great relationship with his mother (and his wife :)).  She still worries about his long-term health (because of an unbalanced diet), but he knows the consequences and makes his own choices. 

Anyway, that's to give you hope!  Also, I think the allowance idea is fine and you can certainly give it a try short-term and see what happens.

I have a child who has some food issues, not as severe as your child, but some (Asperger's).  I usually end up just buying some foods I know he likes or will eat.

I would suggest NOT Costco, unless you think he really should buy the $20 bag of nuggets (or whatever) and eat the same things all month.  The portions are just too large.  AND, if you have other kids, they will quite probably want some too.

Many think I baby him too much, but again, those are the ones who don't have a special needs child.

there are only a few things he eats from Costco. The proportioned frozen Salmon is one. There is no way he (or I) could afford it if it's not purchased there. He just finished a bag and it's only been 1.5 weeks since I bought it.  

Will he eat baked goods from the freezer? How about if he bakes them? Does he like to bake? You mentioned he likes to cook. Maybe he would eat his frozen baked items.

This is an interesting idea. Might be worth a shot. Sometimes a mama has to try all sorts of sneaky things.

I have a child who was starving himself and malnourished. He was 56" and weighed 52lbs. His GI had him drinking Duocal. It's a calorie supplement drink. It's coconut and corn based though so I'm not sure if your ds can have it. It worked great though. It has no taste and no texture.

Oh, and the budget sounds like a good idea to try.

He will not eat them from the freezer. He can tell if they have been frozen, even if I thaw them beforehand. He loves to bake, but he doesn't like to bake his food (too complicated).

He can't do Corn.

. So as a compromise I was thinking of giving him $50 a week and he can go pick out what he wants. The catch is if he isn't eating what I make he must eat what he buys. Fo for example if he wants fish he has to buy a bag of fish from Costco with that $50. He can eat anything I make and all the fruits and veggies he wants, anything in the fridge etc. I'm just trying to 1. Decrease the crazy amount of money I spend on food for him 2. Make him think he has more power over his food choices. 3. Hopefully when he realizes how expensive his food is he will start eating fruit again because it's "free".

Is this a totally stupid idea? Any thoughts on how to improve it?

I think it is a brilliant idea! You have other options for him to eat as he is learning he will not starve.

I do something similar for sports. I sit down with DS and go over how much I am willing to spend on his sports. He knows what it costs for lessons and is allowed to use the set money for either practice time or direct instruction. I set aside x mount per month but I break it down by week for him and he decides week by week. I figure if he owns it and makes the decision he is more invested in it. 

As long as you are offering at least one thing that you know he eats with each meal I feel it is very fair.  

I get that he has sensory issues but it doesn't sound like that is the primary problem.  It sounds like the primary issue is his defiance and desire to be in complete control.  I would probably take it one step further and tell him that if he chooses not to spend the $50 a week on special food and just eat what you make he gets to keep the cash (with the caveat that he does have to eat, he can't choose to go hungry and keep the cash).  If he gets to the point he is opting for cash every week you can gradually reduce the amount of money and eventually end it altogether because you will know he CAN eat what you make but isn't due to behavior issues.

As long as you are offering at least one thing that you know he eats with each meal I feel it is very fair.

I do not make something he WILL eat at every meal. That IMO would be catering to him (or as some have implied encouraging/reinforcing the behavior). I do have something that he CAN eat (allergy friendly). If he won't eat the healthy meal I make I'm not catering to him by making him a special meal and I'm not eating chicken every night. I'm also not going to make food more of a battle than it already is. If I force him to sit at the table to eat the Brussels sprout (which my other two love) or hamburger there will be tears and he will vomit and usually black out from the stress. I refuse to have him remember dinner every night as a battlefield. There is always an alternate for him (ie fruit, allergy free yogurt etc). So, technically he doesn't have to cook himself a seperate meal, but if he chooses to do so I want him to realize (by paying for it) how much it costs him.

When we thought he was IGE to beef and pork I did make him a special meal of chicken every night, but if it's not going to kill him I'm not making a special meal.

Edited by Plateau Mama

My kids don't have sensory issues and they'd go hungry enough to be sick rather than eat the things they dislike. Likewise, back when I drank milk, I preferred certain brands over others taste-wise and I could never drink the grassfed stuff because it either tasted like manure or in one case mothballs. You can't muscle over another's taste even if they're as neurotypical as they come.

OP - I think the budget's a good idea. Do you have a steamer insert with the rice cooker? I don't know if that would cut down on the fishy smell at all, but maybe worth a shot? What about a non-stick pan to cook the oatmeal in? That would make cleanup easier - at most a quick soak with water should get the oats to release faster than a regular pan, especially if the pan doesn't get water in it right away.

I think the budget is worth a try, though I would suggest you talk about it separately with your other kids too so they understand why ds is getting this "special treatment". I might even give them each a smaller amount to buy their own special foods with, if you can afford that.

Of course, they live with him too, so they might already get it.

[quote name="mamaraby" post="5394019" timestamp="1388601054"

OP - I think the budget's a good idea. Do you have a steamer insert with the rice cooker? I don't know if that would cut down on the fishy smell at all, but maybe worth a shot? What about a non-stick pan to cook the oatmeal in? That would make cleanup easier - at most a quick soak with water should get the oats to release faster than a regular pan, especially if the pan doesn't get water in it right away.

He does cook the oatmeal in a nonstick pan. He still manages to bake it to the bottom. I haven't tried steaming the fish. Hmm, might have to try that.

I think the budget is worth a try, though I would suggest you talk about it separately with your other kids too so they understand why ds is getting this "special treatment". I might even give them each a smaller amount to buy their own special foods with, if you can afford that.

Of course, they live with him too, so they might already get it.

My oldest gets get. I also get her special stuff or favorites only she likes (GF toaster waffles for example). My 5 yo, is well, 5. The issue I have with him us he sees his brother refusing things so he try's it too. I don't give in to him but if he didn't see his brother trying he wouldn't either. He doesn't have any food restrictions, so he gets treats by default.

I just want to say that you've handled this amazingly gracefully and I think you sound like a thoughtful, awesome mama. Your son is lucky to have you.

Awe, thank you!

Can he handle the microwave texture? Half a cup of quick oats (the bob's gf ones work ), 1 c of liquid (we use water), 2:30 in the microwave, additional liquid to texture (we use almond milk).

He will do microwave oatmeal, but the microwave is still a bit high for him. More often than not it made a huge mess, so we are still stuck on the cleanup issue. :-)

I proposed the ideas to my my family. DH thought it had potential. My daughter called it brilliant. My son likes the idea as well. We shall see how he feels once he realizes how little $50 will get him. ;-)

If fruit is a control issue, maybe a bit of reverse psychology could help? Could you get a fruit bowl and make a big production of how this is your fruit (for your special diet or whatever) and how no one but you is to touch it. You could even label it "Only for mom". Then put it in a place where he can easily get to. It could literally be the forbidden fruit :D

When I said will I meant can.  Poor phrasing.

I do not make something he WILL eat at every meal. That IMO would be catering to him (or as some have implied encouraging/reinforcing the behavior). I do have something that he CAN eat (allergy friendly). If he won't eat the healthy meal I make I'm not catering to him by making him a special meal and I'm not eating chicken every night. I'm also not going to make food more of a battle than it already is. If I force him to sit at the table to eat the Brussels sprout (which my other two love) or hamburger there will be tears and he will vomit and usually black out from the stress. I refuse to have him remember dinner every night as a battlefield. There is always an alternate for him (ie fruit, allergy free yogurt etc). So, technically he doesn't have to cook himself a seperate meal, but if he chooses to do so I want him to realize (by paying for it) how much it costs him.

When we thought he was IGE to beef and pork I did make him a special meal of chicken every night, but if it's not going to kill him I'm not making a special meal.

Doing what?

I have a kid with issues and I was a kid with issues.  I have come a long, long way through basic mind over matter.  The prospect of making $50 a week as an 11 year old would definitely have helped that process along.  

I actually think the OP's idea is a great one and am considering it for my own children in a modified form to reduce battles.

Cera, why are you doing this?

• 3 weeks later...

OP here.

We are on week two of my experiment. It has been wonderful! Not one single complaint.

I made him a spreadsheet with all the prices of the foods he typically wants. I put the prices in and he just has to add the quantity and it will tally evertything up and tell him how much he has spent. I told him I would buy one Costco pack of Salmon a month, a package of pepperoni and turkey each week (this should cover school lunches). He was welcome to whatever I buy/make. I told him I would go 1x a week to the store(s).

Week 1 he forgot I'd buy the Salmon so he only ended up spending $20. By Tuesday he said "I should have bought more food.", but it was a statement, not a complaint. He took full responsibility for his lack of options and did not ask me to go to the store again.

Week two he spent the full $80 ($30 leftover from last week). He is quite happy to be in control of his food. I'm trying hard not to say anything about his lack of nutrients. ;-).

My daughter did ask today why he got a budget and she didn't. I reminded her that I was trying to get rid of the battle/fighting and if she wanted something just let me know. She was good with that. ;-)

I will update again and let you know if it's still working once the novelty wears off. Oh, he also told my mom it was good for him to learn to budget. That demanding food like he had been wasn't fair to everybody else.

Wow! That is great. I bet he learns a lot about budgets and stuff. I hope it continues to work that well!

Yes, it has been an eye opener for him. When he wanted to buy Salmon and it was $23 he was shocked. So he's figured out that to afford more than the one bag I am willing to buy he can't spend his entire budget every week. He has to save a bit every week to buy the big items. He's also realized that the protein bars I buy him for emergencies, that he eats like candy, really add up at $2.59 a bar.