Menu

The Official Non-Electronic Christmas Gift Thread!!!

Catwoman

OK, it's not really "official," but let's just say it is.  :D

Amber (mommy22alyns) posted on another thread that it would be nice to have a thread about Christmas gifts for those who don't want to give their kids any electronics. I thought it was an excellent idea, so here it is!

I should preface this by saying that I'm getting my ds13 a lot of videogaming/electronics stuff for Christmas, and I know that many others are doing the same, but the One Big Rule for this thread is that we can't talk about those things here. 

This thread is exclusively intended to share non-electronic gift ideas for kids of all ages, and if you cheat and mention anything related to electronic gadgets or videogaming stuff, there will be no cupcakes for you! (I know it's harsh, but rules are rules. ;))

I'll post my ideas in a different post later, because I'm trying not to ramble too much in the introductory post, and you know how I get when I start talking about shopping.  :blush:

Post your ideas here, everyone!!! :)

I've already bought 1dd her (big) present.  a 5qt kitchen aid.   (I bought it used off craigslist, so I didn't spend an inordinate amount. very clean in very good condition. she wants a hard-rock maple school chair - that would be spending an inordinate :ohmy: amount.  they are comfortable though.)

2dd has lots of little things that could transfer to a tween girl.

gel pens

sports watch

duffle for gym clothes

she asked for a dvd - but I didn't write down what one because her sister claimed it.

a 9x13 pan with lid. 

the boys all want electronics/computer stuff.

I'm not buying them phones.   :toetap05:

DD wants a guitar, AG Molly (since she's being retired and DD got Emily last Christmas), and some other things she can't quite make her mind up about. Right now, she's getting her first two requests, plus some colored Sharpies (she loves to draw on and decorate all the cardboard boxes we end up with). I think she also mentioned she wanted a new pair of riding boots and some hair chalks. She discovered drum kits at the music store yesterday and fell in love. I told her "tough luck" since I'd asked her to choose between guitar and drums more than a month ago, she told me then she wanted the guitar, and I've already bought the guitar and arranged for lessons.  :tongue_smilie: Her response? "What about for my birthday?" 

Oh, great idea for a thread. Here's our non-electronic list.

Shared family gifts: 

- zip line

- Mouse Guard the RPG boxed set

and then every kid is getting a paper mache mailbox of their own to decorate (because with two sets of visitation schedules, the kids end up leaving their stepsiblings notes all the time).

13 yr old son:

- a cruiser bicycle with a cargo deck and front basket
- Pandemic, the board game
- a chocolate fountain
- build-an-engine kit
- snowboarding gear

10 yr old son:

- Pitt manga markers
- glow-in-the-dark Sculpey
- ouija board with a pointer hand carved by his stepdad
- shark-shaped punching bag

8 yr old son:

- candy making supplies
- Wedgits
- Perler beads
- a beanbag chair for his room
- an explorer's kit, basically an army-style backpack with a hammock, water filter, fire starter, pocket knife, compass, lantern and first aid kit

7 yr old stepdaughter:

- climbing hand holds so she can make her bedroom wall into a rockclimbing wall
- a GBOP
- fancy personalized stationery
- Story War

3 yr old stepdaughter:

- Carhartt coat and overalls just like her dad's work clothes
- slippers that make her feet look like dinosaur feet

- a mini trampoline
- a giant floor puzzle
- something else but I don't know what which is why I was looking at this thread

Here are what my kids want, and unless a mistake is made they will be getting

- Shoe horns (Youngest broke his putting on his shoes. My kids use them all the time)

- Crocks/sandals for Youngest. 

- Umbrellas

- Top sheets and other fort building materials

- Erasers that fit on the end of pencils

- New sweater for Eldest, solid blue or gray with a zipper

That is all they asked for. But I know they will get other stuff.

For my nieces and nephews I am making a personalized version of the game, "Love Letter". So for my niece she is the princess and her picture is on the card. The king is her Dad, the two princes her brothers ... I am photoshoping the pictures to have everyone wearing crowns or various outfits. 

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129622/love-letter

For all you Princess Bride fans, someone made a fan version based on the movie.

It is sort an electronic, but grandparents will get a CD of the kids playing piano. It's the standard gift for Christmas and birthdays. (But I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as the type of electronics this thread is meant to avoid.)

I've bought ds8 3 sets of Nano Blocks; one for his birthday (Dec 4) and then, assuming it goes over well, the other two for Christmas.  Has anyone seen them? I think they are fascinating! And, they will barely make any sound when they get sucked up in the vacuum!  :tongue_smilie:

I bought a guitar one, a model of The Eiffel Tower and a model of the Space Shuttle. My only dilemma is that the Eiffel Tower is rated as the easiest one, but the Space Shuttle is probably the one with the biggest Wow-Factor. So, I'm not sure which one to give him for his birthday first. 

My 12 year old daughter wants:

Volleyball net

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters movie

Grace Unplugged movie

Clothes

Jewelry

Perfume

She didn't ask for anything electronic.

My 9 year old son I'm still trying to figure out, but here is what I have so far:

Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters movie (it will be to both kids)

Rick Riordan books (need to figure out which ones we are missing)

Chris DLacey Last Dragon series

Some *specific* Ben 10 watch (need to find out which one exactly)

Pocket knife

Flint

I have no idea what else my kids will get beyond these things :). Still need to figure it out!

In theory, the kids and I have already received our big gift for this year (for Christmas and all three of our birthdays). My husband sent us on a surprise overnight trip to NYC last weekend with tickets for three shows in the two days.

I guess that qualifies as non-electronic, though.

Thus far, in terms of small stuff, I plan to make my daughter an infinity scarf. And my son always gets several books, although I haven't yet figured out which ones he'll get this year.

My son is putting together a package of Star Wars-themed stuff for his sister, with some items purchased from the gift shop of the museum where he volunteers. She always personalizes a nutcracker for him (an homage to his days at the pre-pro ballet school). This year, she's making nutcracker bookends, which should be cute.

So far, I can only think of things for my 14yo dd:

Thermos for taking hot lunches to school

New style crimping iron (not like the old 80s style)

Full size keyboard with head phones for her bedroom so she can play at any hour of the day

I'm at a loss for my 11yo dd other than sporty clothing.

And my 9yo dd... I'm thinking anything clothing related. She's always been into shoes but her latest interest is bags. She loves bags/purses!

Ughh. This list is pathetic! You'd think I knew my kids better, spending every day and night with them!

We sort of have a family gift as we will be traveling the day after Christmas--a fun but not cheap trip we will all enjoy. Our boys have older siblings who will also be giving them gifts. But:

Together they will be getting a 400-block Keva set with accompanying duffle. Sisters will be bringing them, and they have already tried them out and approve. :) 

Then 10yo ds will get a minion t-shirt (He loves minions and one of his sisters will give him a small stuffed one).

And almost 13yo ds will get a small flexible tripod for the camera he will get two days later on his birthday (He knows he is getting the camera).

Then some stocking stuff. We will also be buying them some books, but not specifically for Christmas.

Light, but they will be pleased.

DD is getting everything non electronic.  Why?  Because she did not ask for anything electronic.  I am waiting until she really wants the I-pod, I-pad, DS, etc then I know she will use it and take care of it kwim.

So what I plan to get her is:

Nerf Rebell cross bow, lego friends cafe, makeup set from Justice, some craft tape,( like scotch tape but it has diffferent designs on it),  this hat http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1614558/so-kitty-faux-fur-hat-girls.jsp, operation game, geomagz, umbrella, and a watch  I am not sure what dh has in mind he will want to go on December 23rd and look lol.  Last year when we did that, dd had made a last minute wish for a doll house after playing with the one at the library.   The day we went Christmas shopping we found a beautiful dollhouse at Target for under $50 it was originally $150

so far the boys have not requested anything electronic, but then again they have everything  they want.  The oldest will get money and gift cards and baby boy is getting a motorycycle and gear to ride the trails.

Well, my (almost) 4yo desperately wants another babydoll, she I'm trying to pick one out for her along with a little baby feeding kit. My mom is getting her a stroller and a baby bed. This is the first year she's really wanted anything so it is very exciting.

Dd6.5 wants an easy bake oven so Mom is getting her that and I'll be getting her a baby doll as she wants one as well. I'm thinking about also getting her a kid's sewing machine or some other crafting item.

Ds9 I'm not sure about yet. I cannot think of anything big for him.

I am having fun on Etsy for non-electronic gifts.  Big mugs for their tea, both are addicts.  Jane Austen one for elder, Alice in Wonderland (classic) for youngest.

Eldest found little necklaces with real cactii in them and she wants one, they are adorable.

Found the most amazing mini Maurader's Map and wand necklace for youngest.

ThinkGeek t-shirts for both of them and a couple off Etsy as well.

Also a book or two each, youngest is reading Artemis Fowl and I noticed there is a Ranger's Apprentice oldest doesn't have yet.

It is not going to be a big Christmas here, nothing for dh and I as he is going back on another short term missions trip to Africa in January and it's expensive, even with sponsors.

I just read DS12's list this morning.  He asked for Magic: The Gathering cards, Halo Legos, a music CD, and - my absolute favorite - "movies - comedy."

That open-ended category is going to be so much fun to play with!  Recently we let him watch Monty Python & The Holy Grail and a bunch of DVDs of Python sketch comedy, and he loved it all.  So that's my guidepost ... boy, DH and I will have a great time making new selections.  :D

DD6:
Scooter

Magnetic Dart Board

Brio Deluxe Raceway Set (I'm 99% certain he is NOT getting this)

Theo DVD (his nickname is Theo)

Apples to Apples JR

Robot Turtles: The Board game for Little Programmers we got on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danshapiro/robot-turtles-the-board-game-for-little-programmer

DD2:
Sock Monkey

Rody

Bean Bag chair

Some kind of puzzles that you start with a small amount of pieces and increase.

Duplos with a slide (Maybe the ARiel one with a swing too?)

Treeschoolers Episodes 1 thru 3 (Kickstarter)

DD11

Manga cookbook & bento cookbook

Bento box plus tools for making sushi & cute bento things (nori punch, egg molds, etc)

Studio Ghibli DVDs

multi-colored wooden knitting needles from KnitPicks (so she will stop losing mine!)

tee shirts from TeeFury

hair chalk

misc. gift cards

DS15

The only thing he asked for is a 1600-page book on the history of the Greek language from Cambridge UP that costs over $300 new! Luckily I was able to find a used copy in mint condition for much less.

books on Mongolian & Tuvan languages

fencing equipment

gigantic jar of Marmite

I'm also making him an afghan, which may or may not be finished by Christmas

Both:

new board game (Tzolkin)

assorted stocking stuffers from ThinkGeek

DS 14 wants a stovepipe hat which I am having a little trouble finding. I can find felt ones, but he wants a nice one that will last. He also wants a wool pea coat, some math books, and a telescope. 

DD 14 wants a few great courses, music books, clothes, history books on the revolution, and a viola de gamba which I would love to get her, but considering the cheapest I can find is $2000 dollars, that won't happen.  :)

DS 10 wants vintage Three Investigator books, Italian Scooby Doo books, and a loose tea kit with a wide selection of teas. 

I have deemed this the Christmas of NO electronics or video games, so I'm kind of loving this thread. :001_wub:

DS14 has asked for:

several Nascar 1/64 cars.  He makes racetracks and then uses them to do stop-motion videos.

A memory foam mattress.

A splash cymbal and new drumsticks.

Monsters University DVD and Sea of Monsters DVD.

A bamboo longboard.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.

To be honest, he'll probably get all of that between us and the grandparents.  There are a few additional photography things I'm thinking of getting him as well - some filters, a book, etc.

My husband and I will be heading off to South Korea to visit our daughter who's teaching English there.  That will be our present.  We'll be taking along a variety of things for our daughter (a few books, more warm clothes, American goodies she's been missing, toiletries, and what-have-you). 

Regards,

Kareni

Great thread. I'm finding some wonderful ideas. Wish some of you would provide links to the unique/different things!

Probably repeating things that have been said, but on my list (some bought already/some planning to buy)...

Magazine subscriptions

Books (of course)

Cash

Hoodie from RedBubble

Belgian chocolates

Fuzzy fleece socks to wear around house (anyone have a good place to get these for preteen/teen boys????)

T-shirts from TeeFury (or other daily shirt sites)

Activity books/art pens

Gift cards (for a local cupcake place & for Starbucks)

One thing we are toying with is an idea that was in the Zero Waste Home book -- giving a "Secret Family Activity" that will be one time a month throughout the upcoming year. It can be something simple like a hike & picnic in a nearby park, bowling, movie theater that serves dinner, trying a new activity (like rock-climbing), ice skating, doing a 5K, trying a new restaurant, visiting a museum, etc.... Trying to make it a mix of family favorites, along w/ some new things to try. Probably won't tell the dc ahead of time what the outing will be, just tell them they will be coming & let them know the date of the first one that will take place in January.

No idea.

The boys:

a board game for each, probably. And maybe something else - they asked for a toy bow and arrow (each), but those usually break within a month or two.  Probably not Legos, but maybe - we're not Lego fanatics here.  They are fine, but sort of limited in play capability for my kids.  

It seems like I had my mind made up awhile back as far as what we were getting them (aside from the electronic gifts I'm not talking about ;) ) but now I can't remember what it was.

Pink:

probably one of those calico critter families.  Other than that, not sure - I have some ideas written down that I want to look at in person.

A lot of people suggest crafty stuff and all this crap for themĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ our kids SERIOUSLY don't need anything.  At all.  Including craft stuff, which wouldn't get used, or imaginative play stuff, which they already have a ton ofĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ as it is we've gotten rid of a lot of toys, and they really don't need anything else.  If it weren't for the fact that I *LOVE* gifts (giving, getting, take your pick!) I would put the money toward something else.  

DD, age 18

Atom necklace for girls who love science - Think Geek

Science trivia game - Think Geek

Coach purse (raspberry pink, on sale at Macy's)

Expansion pack for Cards Against Humanity (Apples to Apples type game for 17+)

Ornament

Magazine subscriptions (Nat Geo)

Gift cards to Eat 'n Park, Pizza Hut

DS1, age 19

Ornament

Red Sox World Series hoodie

Game of Thrones hoodie

DS2. age 19

Crocoduck T-shirt (I think it is a joke having something to do with evolution) - Cafe Press via Amazon

48-piece Ferrero Rocher chocolates

DS 3, age 19

Paperwhite 3G

World Series jacket

World Series t-shirt

For DH

Leather mad bomber hat from LL Bean (for Snow Honeys)

World Series t-shirt

Barnes and Noble, Red Lobster, and Applebee's

For Me

Archery set

Modern Family, season 1 on dvd

DD is by far the easiest to buy for.  I never run out of ideas for her.  DS3 is easy this year only because the Red Sox won the World Series.

DS1 and DS2 are the only ones I still have to figure something out for.

Sylvia:  Monster High dolls (I got her the three-doll Fearleading set)

Saige's PJs

White clay

Stocking - sleep mask, turtle lip gloss, MP3 player and headphones (cheating a bit here), dance themed socks, devotional, drawing book, lotion. mini Ty MLP

From Rebecca:  My Little Pony Rainbow Dash masquerade doll or any doll with combable hair

Rebecca:  E-books on Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin (Now how do I gift these?  The Kindle is mine!)

Sugar scrub from B&BW

Rainbow Loom set

Stocking - face brush, sleep mask, face wash or scrub, gymnastics themed socks, earrings, devotional, water bottle

From Sylvia: Lagoona Blue Ghoul's Night Out

Rebecca:  E-books on Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin (Now how do I gift these?  The Kindle is mine!)

Perhaps you can give her a gift certificate for Kindle time with some qualifications (i.e., Sundays from 5:00 to 9:00pm, Thursdays after work is done or Not When Mom is Reading).

Regards,

Kareni

I am having fun on Etsy for non-electronic gifts.  Big mugs for their tea, both are addicts.  Jane Austen one for elder, Alice in Wonderland (classic) for youngest.

Eldest found little necklaces with real cactii in them and she wants one, they are adorable.

Found the most amazing mini Maurader's Map and wand necklace for youngest.

ThinkGeek t-shirts for both of them and a couple off Etsy as well.

All this sounds great. Please share links (and whether you found the actual products as good as promised.) Thanks.

My dd 9 is getting

a Goldieblox set.  Have you guys seen these?  It's engineering with a storyline!  http://www.amazon.com/Goldie-Blox-The-Spinning-Machine/dp/B00BCXU3PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384358873&sr=8-1&keywords=goldieblox  

Snap Circuits (does this count as electronic?)

Molly box set and mini

Caroline box set and mini

Rebelle bow thingie

monster high doll

jewelry box

some sort of duct tape making kit thingie

art stuff

an ornament 

pjs

books

and some sort of spy gear

and maybe something from this site I just found http://www.amightygirl.com/

DS, 11 is getting

nerf something or other

k'nex

an indoor swing/sensory set

minecraft tee

ornament

books, 

airplanes

lantern/flashlight

camping backpack

pjs

and spy gear from his sister

These are things they are getting from us and extended family, not just from us.  It's easier for me to figure out what to buy when I know what the grandparents got them.  

My boys are turning 8 & 9 in 3 weeks time.

This is their non-electronic wish list but we are not buying everything. 

Sleeping bags for outdoors

Flute

Zometools Creator 1 (ordered for their birthday)

Beanbag chairs

Raccoon camp throw pillow from Land of Nod (my turning 8 wants that badly enough to want to pay for it. fell in love with the cushion at a model home)

Ghirardelli bear (sold at our nearby Ghirardelli outlet)

Family Board Game. Last year someone gave us Settlers of Catan--great fun. The year before we got the kids Risk--great fun. This year I'm getting Axis and Allies. I just need to figure out which version. I'm also considering Civilization (the board game).Decisions , decisions.....

Family Board Game. Last year someone gave us Settlers of Catan--great fun. The year before we got the kids Risk--great fun. This year I'm getting Axis and Allies. I just need to figure out which version. I'm also considering Civilization (the board game).Decisions , decisions.....

Time for my yearly link to The Greatest Board Game Review Site Ever! There are loads of games reviewed on the site, including kid's opinions. I am so thankful I stumbled across it. We've found quite a few great family board games after reading their site.

I know it wasn't on this thread but another Christmas thread but someone posted 4 or 5 things they get their kids for Christmas. It went along the lines of something to wear, something to read, something to play with, etc. I can't remember what else. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I know it wasn't on this thread but another Christmas thread but someone posted 4 or 5 things they get their kids for Christmas. It went along the lines of something to wear, something to read, something to play with, etc. I can't remember what else. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I'm not sure, but I think "something they need" is the fourth one and "something they want" might be #5.

We ascribe to the "forget about getting something and get EVERYTHING" philosophy, so I might be wrong about #4 and #5. ;)

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re still figuring it out, they all have fall birthdays and we just finished that cycle so I feel like I can just now think about Christmas. The best birthday gift I think was for C10, he and I are going to the zoo for a special breakfast at the reptile house with a behind the scenes tour and to learn about their research and how they care for the animals. 

For Christmas, I got both boys tickets to see Peter and the Starcatchers and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m planning on taking 4 year old daughter to see the Nutcracker (she just started ballet this year). Dh is planning on making/buying/somehow creating desk spaces for the boys. C10 got a laptop for his birthday and the room that he shares with his brother is overflowing with books so we hope to give him a private workspace/bookshelf. H7 is an arts/crafts kind of guy so dh (an architect) wants to give him a mini-drafting table where he can leave out things he is working on. For Z4 we are going to make her a photo book (just a book of photos of her). SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the third child and she keeps asking where all the baby pics of her are. We have them, just on the computer and I think sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll love having them in a book to look at. 

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get each a book of some kind. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get a family game, maybe one of the Ticket to Ride versions. 

H7 wants a pull-up bar and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get him fleece pajamas. He would live in fleece if IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d let him. 

Not sure what else.