Menu

Controversial topic warning: Kitchen!

DawnM

How many different things sit on your kitchen countertops?

Count them, how many are there?

Right now:

Knife block

Microwave

Espresso Machine

Coffee Grinder

Juicer

Toaster

Coffee Canister

Vitamix

KitchenAid

Stuff I wish could fit on my counter, but don't:

Dehydrator

toaster oven

Bread machine

And where do you keep the extras? I don't have a pantry handy but want to have everything more accessible! I also want to get some things OFF my countertop!

Coffee maker

KitchenAid mixer

Coffee grinder

Big pottery mug full of wooden spoons etc

Microwave

Toaster

And that's it. I have space in a bottom cabinet for the espresso machine, the large oval crockpot (small ones are downstairs), and the waffle maker.

:blink:

How do you move in there??

In my last house, I kept appliances not used daily in a closet around the corner in the living room. Why there was an actual closet with shelves in the living room, I don't know (there was a coat closet and a linen closet down the hall near the bedrooms). A couple of things I kept in the linen closet down the hall. We found a Black and Decker 4-slice toaster that was hung from under the wall cabinet, and a B&D coffee maker that was the same.

In this house, I have a lazy susan corner cabinet where I keep most of my small appliances. There are cabinets above the single wall oven where I keep the Bosch. I do have a pantry where I can tuck away a couple of rarely used items (grain mill and ice cream maker), but even if I used them frequently, I'd put them in the pantry instead of on the counter.

Ok, right now, there's a toaster oven, a cute Longaberger long tissue box, a vintage pitcher, and a bowl of potpurri in the corner; a Keurig on the other side of the sink; a knife block, an empty banana holder thingie, and a white ceramic bread box on the island; a coffee maker to the right of the cooktop; another Longaberger basket to the right of the cooktop with some cute containers in it (two that have tea, one that has pistachio nuts), a salt pig, and an electric tea kettle. All other appliances and whatnot are put away.

If you don't count some breakfast dishes (gasp!) - toaster, dish drainer, water filter dispenser, 8 water cups, plant, tissue box, misc. junk box, rabbit food, flour/sugar canister, bottle of wine, large utinsel crock, coffee maker, sauerkraut crock. I have a storage pantry downstairs where I keep things that I don't use often, and lower cabinets in the kitchen where I keep large things like the rice cooker and crockpot. My microwave and radio/cd player are built into/attached to the upper cabinets.

Looking around:

Keurig AND reg. coffee pot (don't ask, dh has coffee issues!)

Paper towel holder

ceramic dish to hold k-cups

kitchen aid

3 glass canisters

decorative holders for sugar, sweet & low (dh, again:) & honey

coffee grinder (dh!)

two tiered thingy for fruit

toaster

end of counter is my "desk" so datebook, papers, recipes etc.

Kitchen aid

container of spoons,tongs, and stuff

bottle of olive oil

coffee maker

mail pile

I love clear counters. Light appliances just get lifted out of the cabinet right below where I typically use them and put back when finished (blender, toaster, food processor, etc.). Dehydrator is downstairs, bread maker is in the pantry (if I didn't have a pantry I'd probably keep it on the counter), knives are in the knife dock in the drawer, juicer is downstairs, and coffee grinder is in the cabinet. We don't have a microwave. I (obviously) don't mind the extra step of putting something back in the cabinet when I'm finished. It's worth it to me not to have it out all the time. My sister, however, thinks I'm nuts and would prefer to just have it all out.

Good luck clearing your counter tops but still having the function you want. The in drawer knife dock is one of my favorite purchases ever. I love not having a knife block on my counter any more.

On my counters:

Bledtec

Coffee maker

Tray with stuff on it for making & serving coffee.

Baby bottle drying rack.

Cookie jar that holds popcorn kernels.

Not on my counters:

Knives have a drawer.

Rice cooker is in a built-in slide-out shelf under the counter.

Food processor, crock-pot, and KtchenAid are in the cabinets.

I don't have a toaster, microwave, or any of the other items you mentioned.

I can't stand to have cluttered counters. It drives me nuts. We have a ton of counter space in our kitchen and here is what is on it:

Knife Block

Kitchenaid Mixer (Dh uses it multiple times a week)

Salt & Pepper shakers

Toaster (I should probably put this away, we use it once a every few weeks)

Butter Dish

Fruit Bowl w/ fruit in it

Should be there:

Coffee maker

Mixer

Canisters

Cutting Board

Spice Rack (I use other spices and ought to toss it)

Water filter

Egg Basket

Bread

Dishrack

Shouldn't be there:

Some dirty dishes

Chicken scraps (I put them in the bowl on purpose, but someone should have taken them outside by now)

Rice cooker (has a home but we've been using it a lot lately)

Food that should be in the cupboards (can of tomatoes, box of tea, spices, muffin mix, wine)

Empty canning jars

Dog treats

A small stepstool?!

Baking pans that should be in the oven

I wish I had a closet to store my appliances in. The mixer, rice cooker, coffee maker, popcorn popper and crockpot are the only things that get used regularly. I also just realized that we've gone more than a year without a microwave.

Let's pretend its clean and I didn't just survive my busiest weekend of the year.

On my counters I keep

2 Utensil crocks

Cutting boards

Knife block

Coffee maker

Stand mixer

Zojirushi water boiler

Cannister of tea and sugar bowl

Microwave

Toaster

I am on a quest to clear my counters. Last year I got rid of the dish drainer (but added the coffee pot for DH). I'm on the lookout for those metal, wall mounted, vase things so I can get the cooking utensils off the counter. I'd like to find an under-counter knife block. I also need to hang my cutting boards on the wall. I can put the coffee pot away since we mainly use it for weekends.

I'll never win any design awards, but my kitchen is getting more and more functional every year. I don't mind my kitchen tools being visible because I love them :-) I do have a smallish kitchen though, so I have to have clean counters to cook. There's just no extra counter space for junk that's waiting to be put away.

I replaced my old coil stove with a flat top stove that has a double oven. (Well, 1 1/2 ovens really.) I was surprised that this added usable 'counter' space when I'm not using the range. I also tossed my toaster oven since the half oven did the same job. (I did replace it with a 2-slice toaster.)

Okay, here goes:

Microwave - a concession to Dh who is addicted to them. I never wanted one taking up so much counter space.

Coffeemaker

Three cannisters - rice flour,cornmeal, popcorn

Air popcorn popper

two caddies containing utensils, whisks and the like

One Sunbeam heavy duty mixer that is going to dd for her kitchen because she likes to mix and bake and I DO NOT! Bless me! One less item on my counter.

Toaster oven - about to go the way of the dodo. However, it will be replaced with a blender since I finally killed my old one...it served me well!

Handsoap always next to the sink.

11 items.

Faith

HAHAHA!

We do have a good deal of counter space, but I also do want to clear out some things we don't use daily.

Dawn

:blink:

How do you move in there??

In my last house, I kept appliances not used daily in a closet around the corner in the living room. Why there was an actual closet with shelves in the living room, I don't know (there was a coat closet and a linen closet down the hall near the bedrooms). A couple of things I kept in the linen closet down the hall. We found a Black and Decker 4-slice toaster that was hung from under the wall cabinet, and a B&D coffee maker that was the same.

In this house, I have a lazy susan corner cabinet where I keep most of my small appliances. There are cabinets above the single wall oven where I keep the Bosch. I do have a pantry where I can tuck away a couple of rarely used items (grain mill and ice cream maker), but even if I used them frequently, I'd put them in the pantry instead of on the counter.

Ok, right now, there's a toaster oven, a cute Longaberger long tissue box, a vintage pitcher, and a bowl of potpurri in the corner; a Keurig on the other side of the sink; a knife block, an empty banana holder thingie, and a white ceramic bread box on the island; a coffee maker to the right of the cooktop; another Longaberger basket to the right of the cooktop with some cute containers in it (two that have tea, one that has pistachio nuts), a salt pig, and an electric tea kettle. All other appliances and whatnot are put away.

I have two things that live on my counter:

1. A decorative platter in a corner no one can reach.

2. A roll of paper towels in a corner no one can see.

That's it. Do I win a prize? I have acres of counter space--my island alone is 8' x 5', but I can not stand stuff out on the counter.

Microwave is in a closed cabinet in the island--we run the plug into an outlet underneath the cooktop.

Keurig is in the breakfast room, but only the Keurig--the K-cups go in a cabinet underneath.

Bread maker is in the garage (plugged in--that's where I use it--my garage smells yummy).

KitchenAid is in the pantry, and yes, I pull it out when I use it and put it back every time.

Blender and toaster are in the cabinet above the oven. I pull them out and put them up every time. I used to have the microwave plugged in up there, with the cord running through a hole in the top and across the top of my cabinets to an outlet.

Cookbooks are in a bookshelf in the island.

Everything else is in a drawer or cabinet.

Just going into kitchens with full counters makes me itchy. I am a messy cook, I cook a lot, and I need space to do it. I could not cook in the teeny little spaces some people leave themselves to keep from devoting cabinet space to appliances.

Keurig

KitchenAid Mixers (yes, plural - 2 :blushing: )

Toaster

Food Processor

Cooking utensil round thing

Knife block

Crockpot

Drinking cups for the day

Phone charging cords

I like clean counters and I have a lot of counter space (every appliance has it's own outlet, lol), so my kitchen looks pretty clean. I would like to put my toaster in a cabinet as we don't use it a lot, but it makes a terrible mess every time it is moved, so it just stays out. The crockpot actually has a space in a cabinet, but we are using it often enough, it can stay out. The one thing that does need to get off the counter is our phone charging cords. Need to find a place for them.

Bread maker is in the garage (plugged in--that's where I use it--my garage smells yummy).

Just going into kitchens with full counters makes me itchy. I am a messy cook, I cook a lot, and I need space to do it. I could not cook in the teeny little spaces some people leave themselves to keep from devoting cabinet space to appliances.

OK I have to ask... why do you make bread in the garage? Sounds interesting! :) I'm with you on going into homes with full counters, it makes me a bit crazy as well. I have been to several pot lucks at one place like that, and I've had to warm up things in their kitchen (I live far away) and it drives me nutty even to just do that. I can't imagine having to cook everything in there! It works for them, though. :)

Ummm dirty dishes(getting ready to do those), coffee pot, microwave, dish strainer, food that needs to be put away, and cutting boards. On the bar thing next to the stove is coffee and filters, crockpot ( gets put in my closet once the liner is washed) and miscellanious stuff that needs to someplace else to go :). The cutting boards are between the wall and microwave. We live in a mobile home with little counter space and storage. Oh how I wish I had a dish washer :)

OK I have to ask... why do you make bread in the garage?

Because that's where the bread maker is! I don't want it in my kitchen, so it lives on a cabinet in the garage. I sewed a little fabric cozy to keep it dust free. My grain mill, which I tried to love but actually despise, is next to it. I do not use either of them very often, and most of my homemade bread is made in my oven.

Asterixes next to what actually belongs there.

On the end of the peninsula counter with the oven in it: a bunch of papers, notebooks, and general clutter

Honey (jug)*

Roll of plastic wrap

Sugar bowl*

Canister of chai mix*

Bottle of brandy

Bottle of vodka

Movie theater cups

Egg carton (empty)

Bananas*

Wide, flat basket with bread, chips, fast food condiments all in it*

2 Empty candy jars*

Loaf of bread*

Basket of napkins*

Canister of lemonade mix*

Gallon jug of veg oil*

Canister of coconut oil*

Old keurig pot

A can of chilies

Assorted utensils

Butter dish*

On the smaller counter that has the sink:

Working keurig*

Empty reusable gallon jug

Keurig coffee carousel*

Cuisenart food processor*

Jug of dish soap*

Box of keurig coffee

Gallon jug of distilled water*

Cutting board

On back of sink: empty glass, empty 2 liter soda bottle, hand soap dispenser*, and steel wool*

Empty reusable gallon pitcher

Some dirty dishes

Bottle of peroxide

Bottle of dishwasher detergent*

Knife block with clean cutting boards stacked on back of it*

A couple of knives from DH's knife bag that don't fit in the block

A couple of empty reusable water bottles

Some medicine cups

Toothbrushes and toothpaste*

well there shouldn't be dirty dishes on my counter, but ds "forgot" to unload the dishwasher last night.

Anyway, on the counter (I have a small kitchen)

Coffee pot (the breath of life)

decorative coffee container

microwave

decorative Coke Straw holder (it holds mints)

Toaster oven

knife block

marble utensil holder

Sitting on the window ledge is hand soap and dish soap

stuff I'm in the midst of moving that doesn't belong on the counter

decorative tea pot

a sand collection in decorative bottles (yes, I collect sand)

a soldering iron (ds has been working)

a roll of solder

By the sink - a dish drainer and rack. Other side of sink, latest baked goods, then bananas, gingeroot, small jar protein powder. Corner has large ceramic jug holding wooden spoons, etc. Round the turn, against wall amd jammed back into corner next to jug 'o spoons etc. is my Kitchen Aid mixer, then the heavy cast iron pot (no where else to put it), followed by Grandma's old glass "coffee" jar...full of teabags ;-), the Labradors bag of dental chews, olive oil, s/p, and three of my fav tea mugs with broken handles or cracks, which now hold smaller sharp knives, veggie peeler, and whisks. On the stove top sits nested stockpot/pasta pots (like cast iron, no where else to put them BUT we use daily so might as well keep on stove).

Against another wall is a small wooden "island" made form a kit, the toaster, air-popper and espresso machine (won from Ree!) live there.

Crock pot, food processor etc. live on pantry shelves. Microwave lives on its own cart near basement door. This is a limited-counter space kitchen in a 1906 house with FOUR doorways in it.

Small wine rack

Countertop hand towel rack

Cooling rack

Crock of cooking utensils

Ipod docking station

Occasionally during the day there will be a towel on the counter with a couple of hand-washed items drying on it.

That sounds like a lot when I write it all down, but most of my counters are bare, the way I like them. Clutter drives me nuts.

Assuming the kitchen is clean (it will be in another hour or so), these things live on my counter permanently (there is just a continual line of these things at the back where the counter meets the wall). I'm actually okay with the continual line of stuff we use frequently and I have a huge peninsula with nothing on it, so plenty of useable counter space.

Knife block

decorative pottery garlic jar

decorative pottery cookie jar

digital food scale

Torani vanilla syrup (I would store this if I had a cupboard tall enough)

Olive oil (ditto)

glass jar that holds spaghetti

ceramic jar that holds wooden spoons, etc. by stovetop

spoon rest

dd's Miralax

currently one vitamin bottle (more in winter)

phone

longaberger basket that holds our car keys, etc.

Kitchenaid Mixer (used several times a week)

toaster (used daily)

paper towel holder

dish drainer

two-tier plate thing that holds fruits/veggies that don't get refrigerated (currently has bananas and avocados)

another phone

hand sanitizer

jar of pens by phone

Controversial topic? Do people get in fights about this stuff?

I guess I'm somewhere in between:

utensil canister

two cutting boards

olive oil/butter dish (sometimes)

knife block

oatmeal/flour canisters

cookbooks

Brita dispenser

The the last two would live somewhere else if I had the choice. I have a small apartment and the kitchen takes up an unnecessarily large percentage of the square footage and has a poor design so that it's mostly wasted space. Grrr.

Anyway. I don't like a totally empty counter-top unless there is only one stretch of it.

HAHAHA!

We do have a good deal of counter space, but I also do want to clear out some things we don't use daily.

Dawn

Hmm. I was wondering if you suffered from the lack of space issues we used to have. Since you don't, I guess I'd start by asking yourself why each item is on the counter. We have a fair amount of space but we still store some seldom used things in the basement. This leaves us with enough room to be able to store the coffee maker (don't use it daily), food processor, toaster, knives, canisters, etc. in drawers. Our KitchenAid is too heavy to store in a drawer, so we have a counter-level appliance cupboard where it lives.

I've got a long kitchen counter in a big kitchen, we have the microwave, keurig, and kitchen Aid mixer on the counter, a small decorative wooden organizer for mail, and a set of antique mason jars with flour and sugar in them. Everything else is in the cupboards, I don't like too much on my counters, it feels too cluttered to me.

I have 24' of counter space.

I have sitting on it - and want to get rid of things:

toaster oven

kitchenaid

blendtec

"drawers" for onions and garlic, potatoes were supposed to be in it, but are in a bin in the pantry

fruit bowl

drain rack

tv

knife block (and he still has his knife drawer! how many knives does a grown man need?? two complete sets! I do like the wusthof though.)

cookie jar

two utensil cannisters

other stuff has a place to put it.

we won't talk about my phone counter that peope dump stuff on, even though it's isolated from everything else!

oh yes:, two sets of S&P, and a pepper mill. the ginormous rolling pin is on top of the microwave (that has it's own shelf.)

Do dirty dishes and clean dishes needing put away count?

If not:

breadmaker

coffee pot

coffee grinder

Vita Mix

knife block

toaster

microwave

telephone

I finally made room in a cupboard for my cannisters. I wish I had a different place for the breadmaker, but I use it daily. I would like to get rid of the microwave. In fact, when it dies, I've threatened to not replace it. My dehydrator is in the utility; not convenient but out of the way.

And if I could get my girls to put away the dishes from this morning that would help.

Fruits and veggies in various bowls

A towel with my French press stuff drying

SAMs sized bottle of dish soap next to the sink

a basket that I toss oven mitts and such in

Several loaves of bread.

Jars of ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil

A pan with a lid on it - it has coconut oil that I use to fry eggs in a couple times a week

10 drinking cups

Well, my island must be completely empty, unless I am actively using it for food prep. I have a thing. :lol: On the other hand, mostly empty counters look too barren to me. Anyway, mine are deep enough so that there is still plenty of space for use in front of what is permanently taking up that real estate. On my counter I have a toaster, bread box, blender, salt pig and pepper grinder, utensil jar, coffee maker, tea maker, a set of tea canisters, and colanders of fruit. (The bread box, utensil jar, canisters, and colanders are enameled/decorative.)

The items that are not on the countertop are in the cupboards below, the pantry, or stored in the laundry room according to size and frequency of use.

Anyway. I don't like a totally empty counter-top unless there is only one stretch of it.

I don't, either. I want it to look as if someone lives there. :-)

I don't want paper clutter on it, though, or lots of things that collect cooking dust, KWIM? And I don't want pills/other medicines on it (I keep those in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, or in a basket under the sink), or car keys, or, well, things that really should live some place else because they aren't *kitchen* things.

I'm not entirely convinced there IS a counter in my kitchen at present. P'raps I should go do something about that.

Authorized residents of my counter:

Kitchen Aid Mixer

Food processor

Grain mill

Utensil holder

Knife block

Toaster oven

Bread box

Cookie jar

(seriously overflowing) catch-all basket

My microwave is on a separate cart parked next to the counter. I have a number of other appliances tucked away in various cupboards and pantry shelves, but I have been feeling the urge to reorganize the whole mess. Y'know....as soon as I finish these other twenty seven things that need doing. Sigh...

We don't have much counter space here but have great cabinets, so I keep counters clearer than I did in my old home. Right now there are some dishes waiting to be loaded in the dishwasher beside the sink, because we just finished snack. But, other than that, the things there are what always stay out in this house:

1. soap, lotion

2. paper towels/holder

3. microwave

4. hand stick blender (because it's used every day)