Menu

Standing ovations

Do you reserve a standing ovation for exceptional performances or do you automatically stand at the end of a performance?

Do you think standing ovations have become commonplace? Do performers expect them at the end of every performance?

We attended a community production last night and no one stood. I didn't think anything of it. The performance was entertaining but not exceptional. One cast member stood out in particular and she deserved some recognition but overall it wasn't really standing ovation quality. Everyone else must have thought so as well because not one person stood.

Conversation in the lobby afterward was filled not with talk about the performance but how the audience was rude for not delivering a standing ovation. The lobby crowd was filled with audience members, cast members and cast parents.

It was a situation that made me pause and say "Hmm...."

If it's done by kids, I would no matter what. You mention cast parents, so is that what this was? (Cue comments on the "special snowflake syndrome" in 3, 2, 1....)

If it's a community production as in amateur adults with maybe a child or two, I wouldn't be as likely.

I've noticed that more and more, an audience stands simply because they know the cast worked hard or they had family in the show, not necessarily because it was exceptional. It's taken me awhile to get used to this, because I always felt standing ovations were for exceptional performances only. But when most everyone else is standing and you're not, you feel kind of silly!

I've noticed that more and more, an audience stands simply because they know the cast worked hard or they had family in the show, not necessarily because it was exceptional. It's taken me awhile to get used to this, because I always felt standing ovations were for exceptional performances only. But when most everyone else is standing and you're not, you feel kind of silly!

This is how I feel. I always thought standing ovations were for exceptional performances but have also noticed, at least with child-centered performances, that it has become more of an "I'm proud of you" acknowledgement. And I do feel weird if I don't stand when everyone else does, but more in a wondering-if-the-other-audience-members-are-judging-me sort of way. As in, I wonder if maybe others will think I didn't appreciate the performance or the hard work that went into it if I don't stand.

If it's done by kids, I would no matter what. You mention cast parents, so is that what this was? (Cue comments on the "special snowflake syndrome" in 3, 2, 1....)

If it's a community production as in amateur adults with maybe a child or two, I wouldn't be as likely.

Yes, it was a children's production.

I would have stood for kids. But I don't think it's rude not to stand. It's rude of the performers to expect it.

Dh and I attend professional and community theater a lot. Standing is definitely not the rule. I do think it's different when it's kids in their one performance kind of thing.

Along the same vein, I am annoyed about graduation for every little thing. Dd5 has preschool graduation at the local mega church, thus throwing one more event into a busy month of plays and recitals (none of them standing ovation worthy in my book). Dd went to preschool twice a week because she and her brother needed a break from each other, does that really merit a big graduation ceremony with cap and gown?

I go along with standing, but I really believe it's for exceptional performances. It's all about entitlement nowadays. Ick. What happened to EARN it, not EXPECT it?

As for the graduation thing, I'm ok with a cute preschool graduation, or, if the K class is not with another school, then a K graduation, but please--no 6th grade or 8th grade graduations (end of elementary school). Let it mean something.

As for the graduation thing, I'm ok with a cute preschool graduation, or, if the K class is not with another school, then a K graduation, but please--no 6th grade or 8th grade graduations (end of elementary school). Let it mean something.
Lol, you are better than I am! The only graduation I find in any way OK is from high school. Pre-K/K graduations are, imo, ridiculous, especially if cost is involved (buying an actual cap/gown for a small child???).

Unless the performance was exceptional, standing O's for children's performances only feeds special snowflake syndrome.

The kids having a piece of scenery crash, but still finishing the scene, exceptional.

A group that worked hard and memorized a lot, exceptional.

Typical 2nd grade rock, tree, butterfly, read a poem, not exceptional.

I recently saw Matilda on Broadway. It was pretty exceptional, especially given the number of young children in the cast. I wanted to stand up and applaud after the first number. ;)

I'm a sucker, especially when kids are involved.

I hope I am teaching my children to be respectful. I would be very upset if one of mine complained. That's poor behavior.

I would only expect it for an outstanding performance, but will stand if everyone else does. Also for recognition of active and veteran military, which is done frequently in my area and I proudly will stand for that.

This is how I feel but it's become commonplace for children's events here. Last week my daughter performed in a music concert and one of the numbers went badly, yet parents leapt to their feet the moment they were finished. My daughter was embarrassed as she knows many in the group simply don't care, hence the poor performance.

Standing ovations and repeated curtain calls are for exceptional performances only. As a performer, I am deeply embarrassed when an average or marginal performance receives such praise. The performing artist *knows* when they have given an outstanding performance, and they know when there is room for improvement. (If the latter is the case, they are probably standing there during the applause thinking about all those things they wish had gone better. Take it from someone who has been there, done that, and has a stack of t-shirts.) I am 40, and can honestly say that I have given exactly 3 performances that I was completely happy with. Good performances are common. Amazing performances are very rare.

<dons flame-retardant suit> I think that by standing for every little performance children are in, we are teaching them to expect excessive amounts of praise. Applause and cheers at the end of a performance acknowledge the performers' hard work, regardless of the outcome. Whoops, whistles, and standing ovations should (imo) be reserved for the best of performances.

Do you reserve a standing ovation for exceptional performances or do you automatically stand at the end of a performance?

Do you think standing ovations have become commonplace? Do performers expect them at the end of every performance?

I think they have become commonplace and people expect them. I find it annoying.

I don't go to school plays, but I do go to community theatre and professional shows. If a show is a community theatre youth show, I'm okay with a standing ovation. Ours involve youth ages 4-16 and they spend hours rehearsing. Usually they are standing ovation worthy. Every once in a while a show will have a lot of really young children and things will go a little crazy, but will work in the end. I will still stand and applaud these children. It's hard work and things happen in live performances.

Shows that have a mostly adult cast are hit and miss for an ovation. It needs to be a really, really good show. However, a technical flaw is not a reason to withhold an ovation from worthy actors. I think more people would applaud if they saw the rehearsal on the first run through. Maybe I just don't see a lot of terrible theatre!

Professional theatre and performances are very different. You should have a much higher expectation. Your level of applause should be genuine and only as you see fit.

The "special snowflake" thing drives me crazy. The only people (in real life) I hear discussing it are super competitive people who don't want their children sharing the spotlight, or parents who refuse to let their children do anything that requires a lot of commitment on their time, too, and use it as an excuse. It doesn't create egomaniacs to recognize hard work. Hard work doesn't have to result in perfection for it to be praised.

The "special snowflake" thing drives me crazy. The only people (in real life) I hear discussing it are super competitive people who don't want their children sharing the spotlight, or parents who refuse to let their children do anything that requires a lot of commitment on their time, too, and use it as an excuse. It doesn't create egomaniacs to recognize hard work. Hard work doesn't have to result in perfection for it to be praised.

Me too. I honestly find it to be really rude to other parents - in part because it always feels to me like its targeted at parental love and pride. Yes, we may have an issue with overpraising in our society, but I've never heard anyone say the term "special snowflake" without derision and mocking in their voice, so it always just feels nasty to me. There's a line - kids do need lots of affirmations and praise, especially for hard work because that's the payoff for them - and they also need to know that they can always get better at something and that expecting a standing ovation or a medal for everything is wrong.

I think they are becoming very commonplace. If every performance gets a standing ovation, then they don't really mean anything anymore. If they were reserved for only outstanding performances, they would mean more and performers wouldn't necessarily expect them.

hahahaha...special snowflake has become quite the insult around here!

hahahaha...special snowflake has become quite the insult around here!

I know. I like the sound of it though and find myself using it IRL. I do not know if it is the alliteration or if it is the instant mental image it conveys.

Maybe it is just my community, but I see it manifest itself in more than just highly competitive parent groups here.

I have done a lot of performances (theatre, concerts, recitals) over the years. I don't expect a standing ovation ever. It's a nice surprise if it's given. I see it more often at youth performances, which is not surprising, given that a large percentage of the audience is made up of parents, grandparents, etc. However, there is not always a standing ovation, even for the youth.

It was very rude for the cast members and their parents to complain about the lack of a standing ovation. Badly done.

Wendi

Thanks for sharing.

I have never heard the term 'special snowflake'. Is that term used for the arts only? Neither of my children do dance, piano, theater, etc, although we attend performances when we can to support friends whose children do participate. The 'worst' thing I have heard is that dance recital costumes are expensive but mandatory and that the little girls sometimes have princess or diva attitudes.

I've been performing in major events (orchestra, opera, theater, etc) since I was very young and find it almost embarrassing to receive an obligatory ovation, particularly when I've performed with truly great musicians like Midori and Joshua Bell who deserve every ovation they get.

Now, I don't think you necessarily have to be in a world class performance to give an ovation, but I hate obligatory ones - especially for children. What was that line from "The Incredibles"?

If everyone stands, however, I will go along with it.

I have never gone to child or youth plays, however I used to go to a lot of professional plays, including Broadway. THe only standing ovation (i.e. that is where the entire audience stood, not just a few) was at a revival in Los Angeles of The King and I with Yul Brynner (long time ago) and he got 14 curtain calls (I counted). This was in the late 1970's and I still remember how fantastic he was. That show deserved a whole audience standing ovation. None of the other plays I have seen over the years got standing ovations, except for a very small percent of the audience . I didn't stand at any of those shows.

I also dislike the practice of giving awards to every single child for all sports, events, etc. When my son went to public school (5th thru 8th) I received a note from the school that he was going to be awarded a special certificate at such and such a night. We went only to see every single child in that school get the same certificate. We never went again. However, my son has gone to karate tournaments and he started out winning 8th place and one time won 4th place, He was thrilled. He would not have been thrilled if he won 1st and so did every other child. I feel that it is a good lessin that not everyone can be first. On that note, my son did win first place at a regional yoyo contest and he def. deserved it with his daily practice for years and he was the best (everyone said so, not just me lol).

The last time we attended our community opera's open-to-students dress rehearsal (which I will never do again, in great part because of the atrocious behavior of the homeschoolers attending), there was a standing ovation at the end. A dress rehearsal, for pete's sake, where the tenor saved his voice to the point of complete inaudibility, there were frequent pauses for direction, and in general it was clear that it wasn't really meant to be a performance at all. But hey, standing ovation.

I have only participated in two standing ovations. The first was for the Canadian Brass at the DSO, and the second at Carnegie Hall for a performance of an unusual work which required the orchestra to break into multiple, small sections, disperse throughout the hall, and play from many locations while the conductor directed from the stage. It was a VERY difficult piece without the added wrinkle and of course they had to perform from memory. We had three players in our box and all I can say is "Bravo, Bravissimo!"

These performances were truly outstanding.

As a classical, professional musician, I can honestly say I am not a fan of the gratuitous standing ovation. They need to be very, very well earned in comparison to those same works performed by other artists and groups. There can be mitigating circumstances which merit allowances, such as a youth orchestra that challenges itself to new heights and while they did not reach the level of musicianship of the Boston Philharmonic or National Orchestra, they exhibited wildly outstanding ability for their ages...you know, that kind of thing. Something like that, yes that might warrant a standing ovation.

In general, I'm pretty reserved and if a standing ovation goes on and on, I have been known to excuse myself. Part of that is to make a statement that, well, if an encore is what the crowd is after, they need to let it alone. Some pieces are just too grueling to consider coming out and playing a portion of again. Let the musicians alone!

Anyone who would have the audacity to complain about NOT receiving a standing ovation, needs to get a grip, and be gracious. Parents who think kids should get one just because they are kids, or more likely "my precious little diva who is practically perfect in every way" needs to be

re-educated on the subject. It's not appropriate. Kids should be given, false, inflated egos. They are kids. They have a lot to learn. The audience enjoyed what they did and applauded. Go home and bask in the accomplishment.

But, I'm a curmudgeon about this things. :D

Faith

I reserve standing ovations for truly amazing performances or when I am "required" to stand by peer pressure. :lol:

I know this isn't on the same scale, but last year I was at a teen talent show for a youth camp. The first act was an amazing magic act, and everyone stood to applaud. Most of the other performances were typical cute teen talent show stuff, but the teens stood in support of everyone, even the truly awful acts. We adults in the back row were more discerning. We only stood for the magic act and a Mozart piano piece played by an impressively talented (and disciplined and dedicated) 15-year-old who is my son's babysitter. It moved me (and complete strangers to her) to tears and goose bumps. The adults leapt to their feet and looked at each other in wonder. THAT is what deserves a standing ovation, IMO.

I have found myself sitting in the audience, listening to the applause go on longer than it probably should, thinking, "Oh please, please, don't start standing up!" Because that's how it usually happens - people keep clapping, one or two stand up because they think that's what you're supposed to do, and then it spreads because, um, awkward.

I was so afraid this was going to happen after my kids' piano recital, but thankfully no one started it. I had students in it, so I really would have been obligated to follow along.

Faith, when you escape during a standing ovation, that's a standing evacuation. ;)

So, does everyone here who has been in the performing arts semi-professionally or professionally fall in the curmudgeon category?

I always thought it was for exceptional performances. But, over the past 10 years or so, I've noticed a trend that many/most people stand/cheer at the end of every performance. (Fwiw, I live in a large city & am talking about performances along the lines of the city symphony, the opera, etc....) I don't like the trend of always doing a standing ovation regardless of the quality of the performance. In a way, I think it cheapens the times that a real standing ovation is actually earned & given. Kwim?

I don't always stand just because most around me are standing.

I wonder if part of it is because attending live events that traditionally have clapping at the end (a play vs. a rock music concert, which would have people standing/participating all along) is not something that many have attended & they have the mistaken impression that they 'need' to do an ovation?

I don't usually attend performances that are just kids, so I don't know about that one. On one hand, I can understand at least part of the audience giving an ovation for a less-than-stellar performance if they are actively involved/know/are related to kids in the performance because they may know that the kids have worked very hard, overcome stage fright, or things like that. Otoh, I don't like setting up the expectation of always receiving a standing ovation for a performance.

Oh, and one more curmudgeonly thought! When I am accompanying a choir - Handel's Messiah - PLEASE don't stand during the Hallelujah Chorus, it's so distracting!!!! And whatever you do, don't start clapping for said piece BEFORE WE ARE DONE PLAYING IT!!!!!

I just needed to say that.

Oh, and one more curmudgeonly thought! When I am accompanying a choir - Handel's Messiah - PLEASE don't stand during the Hallelujah Chorus, it's so distracting!!!! And whatever you do, don't start clapping for said piece BEFORE WE ARE DONE PLAYING IT!!!!!

I just needed to say that.

Oh, see I love the standing during the Hallelujah Chorus; it is like participating in a big inside joke. The clapping before a piece finishes..........

that I could do without.

I just got home from Seussical -- it was a great performance put on by a group of kids mainly age 5-15 who performed above and beyond what you'd think they could do. No standing ovation, though, which was just fine. It didn't even cross my mind one way or another about whether we should've stood up. My kid was the lead, by the way, and was amazing, and I still don't care that no one stood.

The fact that I'm exhausted possibly has something to do with this, since gratuitous acts of standing up seem really icky right now.

Last year the musical this group put on was mind bogglingly bad. Half the audience stood and half didn't. I didn't. It was awkward.

I once used a standing ovation as cover for escaping from a particularly heinous performance of a musical. (I was in the audience.)

Thanks for sharing.

I have never heard the term 'special snowflake'. Is that term used for the arts only? Neither of my children do dance, piano, theater, etc, although we attend performances when we can to support friends whose children do participate. The 'worst' thing I have heard is that dance recital costumes are expensive but mandatory and that the little girls sometimes have princess or diva attitudes.

Special snowflakes are everywhere. You don't have to be a performer to be a special snowflake -- the fact that you've graced the universe with your presence is enough.

I reserve standing ovations for truly amazing performances or when I am "required" to stand by peer pressure. :lol:

I'm ashamed to say I do this too. I really ought to start taking a stand (pun totally intended) for preserving the integrity of standing ovations. :p

I just got home from Seussical -- it was a great performance put on by a group of kids mainly age 5-15 who performed above and beyond what you'd think they could do. No standing ovation, though, which was just fine. It didn't even cross my mind one way or another about whether we should've stood up. My kid was the lead, by the way, and was amazing, and I still don't care that no one stood.

The fact that I'm exhausted possibly has something to do with this, since gratuitous acts of standing up seem really icky right now.

Last year the musical this group put on was mind bogglingly bad. Half the audience stood and half didn't. I didn't. It was awkward.

I once used a standing ovation as cover for escaping from a particularly heinous performance of a musical. (I was in the audience.)

Special snowflakes are everywhere. You don't have to be a performer to be a special snowflake -- the fact that you've graced the universe with your presence is enough.

Fun! My kids did Seussical, Jr. recently. One of mine would love to be the Cat in the Hat when he is old enough. I hope your child enjoyed it! It's a tiring show, but my guys loved that there was all sorts of tap and jazz throughout the show.

The nice thing about theatre is that it is too much work for people who don't care about the end product and only think about the applause!

As a performer, no, I do not expect a standing ovation.

As an audience member, no I do not often give a standing ovation. I went to my husband's HS chorus concert he conducts, and stood for one number. I don't stand unless I think it deserves it, and there are many concerts where I don't stand.

I have found in community events where most of the audience is family/friends, standing is the way to show support, NOT to recognize an exceptional job.When I went to school, everyone got a standing ovation at their senior recital. It became very blase. I stood for you, so you have to stand for me...

IMO, they were pouting. Sometimes, you are mediocre. That's ok! Sometimes people don't like your material. That's ok! Sometimes you give a half hearted performance because you were sick, hated the director, had a crappy instrument to play on etc. That's ok! It's not the audience's job to make you feel better in spite of all that by standing. It's the audience's right to stand when they see or hear something exceptional. That doesn't happen often.

So I just got back from our community orchestra's final concert of the season. This was the youth concert that featured 3 talented teens who auditioned to be accompanied by the orchestra. Two were sopranos who sang pieces from The Magic Flute and the third was my son's babysitter who played a movement from a Mendelssohn concerto. There was a lot of clapping, but no standing ovation, not even at the end. The pianist received the most applause and was motioned back on stage by the conductor since the audience was still clapping loudly as she exited, but no one stood. No special snowflake syndrome in my town, apparently :laugh: .

I think standing for every performance takes the standing ovation and puts it on the same level as clapping so it doesn't have meaning any more. A standing ovation should be reserved for something truly special that touched the audience in some way. I have been to quite a few concerts and there have been only a few each year I felt deserved a standing ovation.

It seems some people stand for every concert (these are usually Irish music performers) and then the performer comes back on to do another number....sometimes I feel like I just want to get out of there before I have to hear another set and other times I have really enjoyed the performance and don't want it to end. In the second instance the standing O was warranted. In the first, it seemed expected that everyone would stand...they don't jump to their feet, everyone looks around and sees other people standing so feel they have to stand, too.

even tho I have never been in the audience of a childrens play, I have been in plays and musicals since I was age 6 and I have never experienced a standing ovation. I don't think that i have been unduly traumatized because of it.

Once when I was in a play in college , it was a 2 act play and the entire audience left after act 1. Us, the cast members, were like, "Guess we don't do the 2nd act, do we go home now?" None of us cried about it, we knew the play was a stinker. Wonder if that play would have got a standing ovation today lol.