Menu

If you could pay off your mortgage early, would you?

kathkath

Is there six months to one year in savings? Are annual limits for retirement accounts reached? Will retirement accounts remain untouched?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then definitely I would pay off the mortgage. Then I'd save the money previously used for the house note.

We did it.

Yes, we had different opinions about early payoff. And really, mortgage rates are so low now, that it might have been a better move financially to keep the mortgage. But, hindsight is 20-20.

We did it for the peace of mind, to be out from under the bank's thumb, and to have money freed up each month for other things.

We haven't regretted it for a second.

For those of you who did, had you been given advice not to?

Since you have paid it off, what has resulted that you may or may not have expected?? Ty!!

Sometimes on college boards I read of parents who own their homes mentioning how high their EFC is for college costs.

I see your kids are pretty young though, so if you are in a position to potentially pay it off faster now, unknown college costs are probably not a big consideration. Just the only caveat that immediately comes to mind.

We could, but for various reasons we aren't. I think the biggest reason is that we don't want all (or even a good portion)of our money tied up in our house. Living in California, things are kind of unstable around here and if we tie up a good deal of cash in property here and then decide that things are going farther south than we choose to tolerate, then we want to be able to pick up and move if we need to. We have a low interest rate on a 15 year loan, we're making decent returns on investments, so it's just not something we are considering. We talk about it from time to time, but that's about it.

As long as you still have plenty of cash in accounts and you weren't using it all to pay off the debt, then yes.

Yes!

Is there six months to one year in savings? Are annual limits for retirement accounts reached? Will retirement accounts remain untouched?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then definitely I would pay off the mortgage. Then I'd save the money previously used for the house note.

If we had the money, yes we would pay it off early. Not owing banks money is always a good thing IMO.

This. We are prior military and DOD and own a home I so *wish* we could get out from under. I am thankful that we have consistent tenants and are actually making money on the property, but I so wish we could pay it off or sell it. As it is, dh has a degree in Building Construction/Project Management and with the economy cannot find a decent paying job so he is back in school to become a Law Enforcement Officer. Scraping by again until he graduates in about 90 days. Hopefully then it will be on to bigger and better things.

It depends on your overall financial situation. You quit paying mortgage interest, you lose your tax deduction. You might do better to pay off higher interest loans, or other loans without a deduction even though the interest is lower, or leave the money in a place where it can produce returns that are higher than your after-tax mortgage interest. For example, when I was on a payroll, I first put aside the max I could put into my 401K. Even the part that didn't get me an employer match was beneficial, because it cut my taxes and earned me tax-deferred interest, while I got a tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid.

That said, I paid off all my debts years ago and it's a great feeling.

I nearly paid off my mortgage very early a few years ago and then deliberately cut the repayments right back.

I had been putting everything into it.

The loan I had was a 25 yr loan with redraw option, so I did not need to keep any other safety net..

Life events meant I needed to borrow back and was able to do so online, no hassles.

I could not get a loan now, so having this available for 'rainy days', car repair, replacement, lawyers etc has been very useful.

When I again get it right down I intend to keep it open, as there are costs involved obtaining a new loan and the homeloan interest rate is much better than a personal loan.

It's like a permanent line of credit. (I don't have a credit card.)

We are considering using retirement money to pay off the mortgage in six months, when husband hits 58.5. Generally, it seems like the huge amount of interest vs. the tax deduction, cannot be a draw. Has anybody analyzed this?

We are considering using retirement money to pay off the mortgage in six months, when husband hits 58.5. Generally, it seems like the huge amount of interest vs. the tax deduction, cannot be a draw. Has anybody analyzed this?

I used to have an elaborate Excel spreadsheet to calculate the net effect. Personally I would not assume it away. What else could you do with the money? How much could it earn? Are there tax incentives attached with certain options? An employer match? Could you save utilities by doing home improvements earlier than otherwise? Save gas mileage by buying a new car? Get discounts by paying things in lump sums? It all figures into the analysis. Of course it is not unlikely that paying off the house is the best plan. But it's not a foregone conclusion IMO.

We paid off our home before we had kids. Make sure you have enough savings left after the pay off to handle unexpected events. If you have other debts, pay those first. You'll lose a mortgage exemption/tax benefits but you'll save the interest so it may be a financial wash or close to it depending on how much you owe. I'd run the numbers.

No. We have plenty of available funds to pay it off (wouldn't even have to move anything around), but in our opinion it would be financial idiocy. Our investments are currently earning a significantly higher rate of return than the interest rate on our mortgage. Plus the current state of the real estate market makes it a doubly bad idea.

We follow Dave Ramsey, so of course our goal was to pay our farm off early and live totally debt free.

Dave Ramsey says the paid off mortgage has taken the status symbol place of the BMW in America today.

After scrimping and saving and living bare bones for many years and sticking to a strict budget ( cash purchases and necessities only, no eating out, no cell phones, no cable/satelite, no pricey hobbies/vacations or extra-curricular activities, growing much of our own foods and eating lots of beans and rice, only shopping at GoodWill and yard sales, waiting on all remodeling jobs for home, selling lots of stuff on ebay and Craigs List, working side jobs for extra money), we were able to pay our 11 acre farm off in full last month.

We followed Dave Ramsey's baby steps and first made sure we had a 6 month plus emergency fund, paying 15% into a retirement fund, and no debt of any kind (all vehicles are purchased used and paid for in cash) and we have no credit cards or loans.

Now I will take that old mortgage payment and roll it into savings and sinking funds every month and have some fun splurges every once in a while. The ability to live totally debt free and to have that peace of mind is priceless to us !!

My grandmother used to tell us " You have a today without, so you can have a tommorrow with". Her wisdom and perserverance through hard times during the Great Depression has been a real motivator to our family to stick to the plan and see it through to the finish line.

We follow Dave Ramsey, so of course our goal was to pay our farm off early and live totally debt free.

Dave Ramsey says the paid off mortgage has taken the status symbol place of the BMW in America today.

After scrimping and saving and living bare bones for many years and sticking to a strict budget ( cash purchases and necessities only, no eating out, no cell phones, no cable/satelite, no pricey hobbies/vacations or extra-curricular activities, growing much of our own foods and eating lots of beans and rice, only shopping at GoodWill and yard sales, waiting on all remodeling jobs for home, selling lots of stuff on ebay and Craigs List, working side jobs for extra money), we were able to pay our 11 acre farm off in full last month.

We followed Dave Ramsey's baby steps and first made sure we had a 6 month plus emergency fund, paying 15% into a retirement fund, and no debt of any kind (all vehicles are purchased used and paid for in cash) and we have no credit cards or loans.

Now I will take that old mortgage payment and roll it into savings and sinking funds every month and have some fun splurges every once in a while. The ability to live totally debt free and to have that peace of mind is priceless to us !!

My grandmother used to tell us " You have a today without, so you can have a tommorrow with". Her wisdom and perserverance through hard times during the Great Depression has been a real motivator to our family to stick to the plan and see it through to the finish line.

:hurray: :hurray:

Welcome to the ranks of the mortgage free. It is a great feeling actually OWNING your own property isn't it. :hurray:

It depends on your overall financial situation. You quit paying mortgage interest, you lose your tax deduction. You might do better to pay off higher interest loans, or other loans without a deduction even though the interest is lower, or leave the money in a place where it can produce returns that are higher than your after-tax mortgage interest. For example, when I was on a payroll, I first put aside the max I could put into my 401K. Even the part that didn't get me an employer match was beneficial, because it cut my taxes and earned me tax-deferred interest, while I got a tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid.

That said, I paid off all my debts years ago and it's a great feeling.

My dad argued with me about losing tax deduction. He would not see that weighing a small tax deduction each year does not always come close to how much you are paying in interest and PMI for 15-30 years.

I would pay mine off after:

- all debts are paid

- when we have retirement accounts full funded

- when we have 9 months of savings (that will quickly swell beyond 12 months once there isn't a monthly mortgage payment in there)

I would really really love to have my house paid off. But first, I'd really like to be debt free and have sufficient savings and retirement.

No. We have plenty of available funds to pay it off (wouldn't even have to move anything around), but in our opinion it would be financial idiocy. Our investments are currently earning a significantly higher rate of return than the interest rate on our mortgage. Plus the current state of the real estate market makes it a doubly bad idea.

:iagree:

I think you have to look at your individual picture very carefully -- if investment income + mortgage tax deduction > mortgage interest + income tax on investments.... Of course, that is a simplistic way of looking at it, but I would want to run my numbers in a variety of scenarios before deciding.

I would pay mine off after:

- all debts are paid

- when we have retirement accounts full funded

- when we have 9 months of savings (that will quickly swell beyond 12 months once there isn't a monthly mortgage payment in there)

I would really really love to have my house paid off. But first, I'd really like to be debt free and have sufficient savings and retirement.

Some would add college savings for at least a state school, long-term care insurance, and disability insurance.

Because of the above, we are not paying it off early, although we only have five years left at this point.

ITA.

If I really wanted to do it, I would make sure I had the following first:

- Emergency fund (with the job market, I'd have at least 1 year of living expenses)

- IRA (remember a SAHM can establish and contribute to an IRA up to $5K per year).

- Dividend-producing stock/stock funds (utilities are paying well)

We have a 10 year mortgage and we are paying off in 7...October is the last payment. :party:

We also had a construction loan for all of the renovation work we did here. That will be paid off at the same time which would be 3 years early.

I'm planning on having friends over for a mortgage burning party once we receive the free and clear title to the house. I'm having it catered so I don't have to cook! :D

Faith

We could, but for various reasons we aren't. I think the biggest reason is that we don't want all (or even a good portion)of our money tied up in our house. Living in California, things are kind of unstable around here and if we tie up a good deal of cash in property here and then decide that things are going farther south than we choose to tolerate, then we want to be able to pick up and move if we need to. We have a low interest rate on a 15 year loan, we're making decent returns on investments, so it's just not something we are considering. We talk about it from time to time, but that's about it.

I don't understand this. Wouldn't it be easier to "pick up and move" if you had your house paid for?

I don't understand this. Wouldn't it be easier to "pick up and move" if you had your house paid for?

I'm assuming she's talking about having the cash reserves to be able to move. If you throw all your extra cash at the house, it'd be more difficult to move if needed.

We could, since we recently sold my husband's business due to disability. However, our financial advisor has advised us NOT to pay it off, suggesting that we could make significantly more by investing that money instead. Our situation might be somewhat different than most, however, in that my husband may or may not ever work again, and our mortgage payments are very, very low. We haven't decided yet what we'll do.

We could, since we recently sold my husband's business due to disability. However, our financial advisor has advised us NOT to pay it off, suggesting that we could make significantly more by investing that money instead. Our situation might be somewhat different than most, however, in that my husband may or may not ever work again, and our mortgage payments are very, very low. We haven't decided yet what we'll do.

Financial advisor, Ric Edelman also recommends not paying off your mortgage. We tend to follow his suggestions.

http://www.ricedelman.com/cs/education/article?articleId=232

I know it is wiser to calculate which option offers the highest net return, but really, I don't care. My house is mine - I care much more about that.

I agree. I posted earlier we are on a plan to pay off mortgage before oldest gets to college age. We have money flowing into investments and 401K as well, we aren't pulling it from anywhere else. We're just doubling our mortgage payments most months. We have the ability to pull back if we need to.

You also need to think about future expenses. If we can help our kids outright with college and not get loans (or them needing huge student loans), that's a huge benefit to them launching as adults. We feel lucky this is an option for us.

Yes. We did this several years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. Before I was 30 yrs. old we owned our home outright. I remember my grandparents going to pay the last payment on their house when they were in their late 50's, so it was a very good feeling to be done so early.