Menu

You back over a kid's bike...

momto10blessings

Do you pay for it? My dh was at his sister's house and her son left his bike right behind my dh's rear wheel. He ran right over it... She wants him to pay but he says no way, it's the nephew's fault. Which I agree with. I wouldn't ask someone to pay for my kid's bike when the kid left it behind the wheel of a vehicle. What say you?

Totally depends on how old the nephew is, to me. I mean, a 16 year old should know better than to park his bike behind a car; a 6 year old, not so much.

I'd replace the bike, most likely. Really, it's always a driver's responsibility to make sure they don't back over stuff, you know? Your dh's actually lucky there was no one *on* the bike when he backed over it.

(I'm not trying to sound harsh. It came out harsher than I meant.)

• Like 2

If it was my child's bike I would absolutely say it was my child's fault and would not ask the person to pay. If I backed over it, I would absolutely offer to pay for it. Honestly I would feel a bit shocked that someone would demand payment but since I would having been offering and insisting on paying anyway I would pay for it.

• Like 1

It would depend on the age of the child. I think 7 and up is old enough to know better, so it would be the child's fault. I guess it also depends on what the relationship between your DH and his sister is worth--would she drop it if he refused, or is this something she would hold against him (and would he be okay with this or not)?

Totally depends on how old the nephew is, to me. I mean, a 16 year old should know better than to park his bike behind a car; a 6 year old, not so much.

I'd replace the bike, most likely. Really, it's always a driver's responsibility to make sure they don't back over stuff, you know? You're dh's actually lucky there was no one *on* the bike when he backed over it.

(I'm not trying to sound harsh. It came out harsher than I meant.)

:iagree: Kids expect to leave their bikes and other toys in their own driveway, and a bike is big enough that your husband really should have seen that it was there. Your dh broke it, so he should buy it.

• Like 2

I personally feel all drivers should check behind their car every time they get in it. And kids should be taught not to leave bikes behind parked cars. If it were me our my dh, we would buy a replacement within days, without discussion. We'd just do it before it could be refused.

• Like 2

I backed over a neighbor's cell phone that was lying on my driveway. I have no idea why a 14yo thought that the driveway behind a parked car was a good place to leave a cell phone. They didn't ask me to pay and I didn't offer. I didn't actually even know the cell phone was there until my dd told me about it later. The phone actually still worked, but the screen was cracked. If my dd had left her cell phone on the driveway whether a car was there or not, I would expect her to pay to get it replaced or do without.

This is a different situation from a bike. I'm surprised the bike didn't cause damage to the car.

• Like 1

I could easily see how this could happen if you came out of the house and the bike was laying under the opposite wheel, so I am sympathetic. If my kid laid a bike behind a parked car, I would never ask someone to replace it. That said, if I ran over a bike like that, I probably would offer to pay for it. Especially if it was a young kid's bike.

ETA - I'm really interested to know how the bike was laying? If your DH wasn't looking in his rear view and it was parked upright, no question, I would replace it even if it was a teen's bike.

Yeah, your DH should pay for a replacement. Your nephew should not have parked behind the car, but unless he did it on purpose in a sneaky way to get himself a new bike (after your DH had already gotten in the car to leave), I don't see how it is not your DH's responsibility to drive without running over things.

Even if your nephew is old and should know better, your DH is also old and should know better.

Mistakes happen. Make restitution.

As far as your SIL goes, I think it is rude to demand payment, but again, her behavior does not negate the fact that your DH wrecked her son's bike and he should replace it.

• Like 2

You back over a kid's bike ...and I thank God that no kid was on or near the bike. Is there a chance the bike will be handed over to one of your kids? If so I would pay and then tell the sister that you need to hand down the bike or I would pay half.

He's the driver - it's his responsibility to know what's behind his car at all times. That seems to me to be the obvious answer.

If that happened within your own family, sure, you might say the child is responsible and has to cover the cost of repairs, but I certainly wouldn't enter into that battle with someone else's child, especially as I imagine that legally speaking the decision go against the driver.

• Like 1

My husband backed over the bike of a friend of our DD. He had left it in the driveway behind our vehicle. DH paid for it. Yes, he was ticked that a 15 or 16 yr old would leave a bike in a driveway, never mind behind a vehicle. However, he was thankful no one was hurt, and he felt that he as a driver one should always know what is behind your vehicle. Secondly he felt it was an example he needed to set for those kids who would be future drivers.

• Like 2

Yese he should pay for it. Should the kid have left the bike there? no. But kids do stupid crap. The fact is your dh did not chance around his vehicle before getting in and starting it. He should pay for it and give thanks that it was only a bike not a small child or beloved pet. Ulitmately responsibility lies with the driver of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Yese he should pay for it. Should the kid have left the bike there? no. But kids do stupid crap. The fact is your dh did not chance around his vehicle before getting in and starting it. He should pay for it and give thanks that it was only a bike not a small child or beloved pet. Ulitmately responsibility lies with the driver of the vehicle.

:iagree:

I know a family who had a child backed over. It was horrible and tragic. Was the kid supposed to be there, no of course not, but ultimately a driver is responsible to check what is around his/her vehicle before they start driving. I always look behind my van before I start driving and check to make sure all the kids are accounted for.

Half.

Kid shouldn't leave bike there.

Adult should know what is behind his car (should make sure the answer is NOTHING).

Consequences happen to people of any age.

ETA:

So do you all walk around your vehicle before you get in? Just curious.

With my little van, I can see front and one side walking to it. I step to back to look. I get in. All four sides seen.

With my big van, I walk from front, let kids in, walk around back to get to the driver's side. All four sides seen.

So yes.

ETA2: I also can tell you, when I get into the driver's seat, where each of my children are and where my dog is too.

It is very important to me. I'm hyper about it. I've heard of too many accidents.

ETA3: I'm also hyper about certain neighbor children....

I did this once, as a 20 year old. Our paperboy (yes, we still had one of those back in the mid-west, 20 some year s ago ), left his bike, laying down right in front of my car, which was parked in the street, to take the newspaper to the front porch of my parents house. We passed each other on the side walk as I left, said hi, and I walked around the back of my car to get in. We didn't have a real curb, but instead a two foot "hill" down to the street..so no way I could have seen the bike. I paid for it...as much as that hurt with piddle income I had at the time, because it was the adult thing to do. I mean, yes, he shouldn't have left it there....dumb 12 year old boy mistake...but it was MY CAR that ran it over. I guess it could go either way as far as who's fault it was..but I just felt it was the right thing to do...as the adult....we both learned a lesson.

• Like 1

So do you all walk around your vehicle before you get in? Just curious.

I would offer to split the cost.

I actually do check around it before getting in and starting it. And if I don't have my kids in the car with me, or I know other kids are out and about I am constantly watchful for any of them approaching the car. When I come out to my car I approach from the passenger door, walk around behind and up to the driver's door.

• Like 1

I would pay. As a driver, I would feel responsible for hitting the bike. The car did the damage, the car is at fault. The bike should have not been there, but it doesn't negate the fact that the driver should check around his/her car each time they leave a parked position....and this is exactly why. There could be unseen obstacles in your path.

• Like 1

I personally feel all drivers should check behind their car every time they get in it. And kids should be taught not to leave bikes behind parked cars. If it were me our my dh, we would buy a replacement within days, without discussion. We'd just do it before it could be refused.

I agree it's an equal responsibility and would probably offer to pay, but I'd be put off by someone *demanding* that I pay for something their child neglected to take care of.

:iagree: Kids expect to leave their bikes and other toys in their own driveway, and a bike is big enough that your husband really should have seen that it was there. Your dh broke it, so he should buy it.

I don't agree with this. Entitlement to leave their stuff in places where cars drive? No, that is not an appropriate place to store a toy or bicycle. Maybe I'm jaded from the city life but anything left outside is liable to be broken or stolen as soon as you turn your back and personal responsibility is huge to me.

Your dh's actually lucky there was no one *on* the bike when he backed over it.

I'd be thankful that it was just a bike and buy him a new one.

I will pay for it and cross my fingers that next time the kid is not on the bike.

Be thankful the bike's owner wasn't next to the bike.

He should be relieved it was only the bike and not his nephew that he hit.

I agree with all of the above.

• Like 1

I would pay if I ran over a bike or anything else of value belonging to a child.

If it was my kid's bike, I would say nothing to the driver, but if my kid was big enough to have a two-wheel bike, she was big enough to not leave it in such a stupid place, and I'd be telling her off. Depending on her age, I might make her contribute something toward replacing it, or at least make her do without a bike for a while.

I always approach my car from behind if I'm going to be backing out, so I see if there's something behind me. It's for my own good. What if someone left a tire puncture hazard back there? It's just common sense IMO.

I don't agree with this. Entitlement to leave their stuff in places where cars drive? No, that is not an appropriate place to store a toy or bicycle. Maybe I'm jaded from the city life but anything left outside is liable to be broken or stolen as soon as you turn your back and personal responsibility is huge to me.

Just because you weren't raised that way doesn't mean it's another kid's fault if he is allowed to drop his bike in his own driveway.

Homes with kids have kid stuff around; visitors have to expect that. Every family has its own rules about how spaces are used. And besides, kids by nature lack judgment. Adults need to take more responsibility. The law might even support me on this one.

• Like 1

I would pay if I ran over a kid's anything. My kids are allowed to leave their things out in our driveway when they're playing outside so I could see it happening. It's never been an issue here because when they come inside after playing all of their things are put back into the garage. It's also not an issue here because we always look behind the cars before driving away. We're not just checking for bikes or toys, but also for neighbor kids and neighbor animals.

• Like 1

in the "live and learn" department, i would both pay for the bike and figure out a new way of getting in my car so that i checked all sides.

the cost of the bike is cheap for the lesson your dh has a chance to learn... i find that money and "who pays" can get in the way of us learning what we need to learn, which often has nothing to do with money at all, kwim?

peace,

ann

• Like 1

Depending on the age of the child, I would pay for it. If it was an older 10+ who knew darn well to keep the bike away from cars, then I might not pay for all of it. If it was a younger child, yes, I would replace it.

Before I back up, I should know what's behind my car. It's sort of one of the very most basic driving rules. I would absolutely pay.

:iagree: with both of the above, and w/ others who say he was lucky it was just a bike, and not a kid on a trike. You should always check to see what's behind your car- that's driver's ed 101!

• Like 1

I would pay, or at least offer half. I think it would depend partly on nephew's age. But the driver has the final responsibility to check for things in the path of the car. And yes, I walk around the back of my car before I get in. When I was in college I once ran over the leg of a neighbor's dog who was laying behind my car sleeping. No, the dog shouldn't have been in my driveway, but I also should have looked where I was going before starting the car. I paid for the cost of the vet bill and counted myself lucky a dislocated joint was the only damage.

I would be so thankful it was just a bike and not my nephew that I would gladly offer to repair or replace it!

If it were my own child (over about age 10) and there were multiple warnings about a bad habit of leaving a bike behind vehicles, I would consider it a consequence and discuss how it would be replaced (extra chores, etc). But anyone else's child? I would choose to be generous.

(I am assuming this is not a teenager's fancy expensive bike.)

I find the responses interesting.

I answered based on how I would react if Wolf ran over one of *our* kids bikes. Our kids have been drilled not to leave *anything* on the drive way, side walks, etc. So, for our family, the child would be responsible for where the bike was left, and it wouldn't be replaced any time soon.

And, if a visitor ran over one of the kids bike, same thing. Child's toy, their responsibility.

I *do* understand what other's are saying about the driver needing to be aware. Just explaining my reasoning. :)

Imp, your reasoning is much like mine. Our kids were raised to keep their things away from where a car might drive AND off sidewalks where mail carriers and guests walk. I clearly recall our oldest two telling their friends not to leave their bikes on the driveway because it might get run over- and their friends quickly learned that when visiting our house that they were to park the bikes/skateboards in the grass. I just thought everyone did that.

I am stunned by how many people look behind their car every time they get in it- some days I go out several times, and when I leave work I approach my car from the front- never occurred to me to check behind my car.

Imp, your reasoning is much like mine. Our kids were raised to keep their things away from where a car might drive AND off sidewalks where mail carriers and guests walk. I clearly recall our oldest two telling their friends not to leave their bikes on the driveway because it might get run over- and their friends quickly learned that when visiting our house that they were to park the bikes/skateboards in the grass. I just thought everyone did that.

I am stunned by how many people look behind their car every time they get in it- some days I go out several times, and when I leave work I approach my car from the front- never occurred to me to check behind my car.

Some kids are taught not to leave bikes on the grass. I don't think people can assume what other people's kids have been taught.

My kids have bikes, but they don't use them at home because we live on a very steep hill. They stay in the trunk of my car for the most part. So I have never taught my kids bike parking protocol. It is very possible that they would leave their bike behind a car because they haven't been taught otherwise. Although I would not demand payment from another adult, I would be more ticked at them than at my kids if they backed over my driveway without bothering to look behind their car - especially if they were cocky about it afterwards.

• Like 1

My kids are taught from the moment they get on a bike, scooter, whatever that they are to be PUT AWAY the moment they are not riding them. That starts at toddlerhood. They also know that if it is not put away and it gets wrecked, they have to earn the money to replace it. Responsibility for personal belongings is just that - personal responsibility.

And no, my kids do not expect to be able to leave their bikes laying in the driveway.

No, I wouldn't pay. It's the kid's fault, or your sisters for not teaching her kids how to take care of their items.

It seems to me that it's not up to visitors to decide what a family ought to do in their own private driveway.

I agree most emphatically.

Frankly, I'm a little horrified at those who don't see how the person wielding the big, heavy car should have a responsibility to check for small people, pets, or property before driving.

• Thanks 1

My kids are taught from the moment they get on a bike, scooter, whatever that they are to be PUT AWAY the moment they are not riding them. That starts at toddlerhood. They also know that if it is not put away and it gets wrecked, they have to earn the money to replace it. Responsibility for personal belongings is just that - personal responsibility.

And no, my kids do not expect to be able to leave their bikes laying in the driveway.

No, I wouldn't pay. It's the kid's fault, or your sisters for not teaching her kids how to take care of their items.

That's fine and dandy for your kid but each family has it's own rules. For example, I am just fine with teh kids leaving their bikes, scooters etc on the front or back lawn, on the patio, under the awning whatever as long as they don't leave them on the curb or something. You can not expect to be absolved of your wrong doings because that family didn't follow the same rules as your own kids. And you are right personal responsibility is at play, imo when it comes to the Op post, the driver of the vehicle failed to utilize the vehicle responsibly and then when damages incurred wanted to not face the repercussions of that irresponsible behaviour. The child put his own bike on his own property, whether or not it belongs on the driveway is up to that parent to determine. The driver in this case failed to ensure the safe use of a motor vehicle.

And let me add as well, if someone came onto my property and damaged an item belonging to one of my kids and then refused to pay on the basis that our rules were different than theirs that person would no longer be welcome on my property.