Menu

$5 a day

jenbrdsly

$5 a day for food  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Can you feed your family for $5 a day (per person) AND fill their plates up with half fruits/half vegetables AND afford fish two times a week?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • I wish I could vote, but I don't live in the USA!

I could do it, but you do have to shop carefully.

I think if you can get to a Sam's or Costco, it really helps with fresh veggie prices.

Broccoli florets are $5 for 3lb bag, I think. It probably holds at least 15 cups. It's a LOT. I think they used to even be organic, but they changed brands recently, and I am not sure they are organic anymore.

Organic HUGE (15-20 cups?) tubs of organic salad greens and organic baby spinach are each around $5 IIRC. Each bin is easily enough for three meals of LARGE salads for our family of 5. So, maybe $35c/person max for a BIG organic salad.

Carrots and celery are always pretty cheap. Big head of celery is usually under $2, and a huge bag of carrots well under $1/lb.

6 big, nice red/yellow/orange bell peppers $7 (just under). That's at least 10 cups chopped.

They have big bags of frozen green beans that are NICE and well priced.

Random fruits and veggies are also often very well priced. I often buy citrus there if I need a lot.

Their meats are good, too, but I usually find better meat prices on BOGO at our nice grocery, and we buy grass fed beef from the farmer in bulk. (Very expensive, but worth it IMHO.)

Although they don't fit the goal of healthy eating, Sam's also has really nice potatoes and onions are VERY cheap. I made a special trip (really, just across the parking lot, lol) to Sam's a few days ago b/c I needed a bunch of onions and they were $1.50/lb at my grocery! Who are you kidding!?!? They are always right around 50c/lb for NICE big onions at Sam's. So, there I went! 10lb for $6 or something like that. And they have such nice huge baking potatoes.

So, yes, I believe it could be done, just shop smart and choose in season/cheaper veggies when they are on sale.

For fish, we've bought wild caught Alaskan salmon (the only kind I really like to buy) on sale for as cheap as $7/lb at our grocery here in the middle of nowhere near Alaska! When it is that cheap, we've sometimes bought a couple extra full fillets (2 lb each or so -- the whole half a fish) -- ask the butcher to get them out of their freezer STILL FROZEN -- then stuck them right into our freezer at home for later. (They get them frozen, then thaw them to sell.)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone has a secret fish supplier, let me know!!!

I get Trident Seafoods Salmon Burgers from Costco. They are made from wild caught Alaskan salmon. Our Costco sells them for $15.99 for 12 patties. That works out to a serving of wild salmon for $1.33.

The local butcher we use sometimes has wild salmon (filleted, vacuum packed, and frozen) for under $4 a pound. Last summer, I found wild salmon (whole) for $3.50 a pound at Top Foods when they were in season. I think I'm able to find these because of where we live though.

We buy those same salmon burgers from Costco when we can, and like them very much. Salmon is very filling compared with many other fish types. It does not take much to feel satisfied.

I also buy organic frozen vegetables from Costco, but only those which do not originate from a particular country. Can't help adhering to this caution.

We do, and easily. We don't have fish twice a week, though (yuck)! I average $200 a month on groceries for four people. Last year we spent just shy of $2,100 on food purchases. As a disclaimer, we grow our own veggies, eggs and most of our fruit, I buy meat once a year from a local butcher, and what fruit we don't grow we pick during the summer from local farms and preserve it. Gardening, preservation and feed costs are about $250 a year. I guess we spend about $2 per day per person on food, but we also put a lot of sweat equity into it. But we do it because we enjoy it, so it's really a labor of love and not for the sake of frugality.

I did that on $20/week per person in Seattle, which isn't exactly an inexpensive place to live. We're spending about $25/week per person now. The only difference is that we had fish once a week which wouldn't have changed the budget significantly.

Like another poster mentioned, Winco helped a lot and I stocked up there once every three months because it was far away. I bought almost everything in bulk and cooked from scratch. In any town I've lived in, I've been able to find produce place that sells decent produce for way less than the regular grocery stores, and we eat produce in season. Whole grains, beans, and a little meat filled out the rest of our food.

I couldn't do it if I only had a traditional grocery store to shop at, but as long as I have a car, I can be creative and feed my family well for not a huge amount of money.

Any favorite stores in Seattle for good deals?

I'm pretty close to that average in terms of spending. There are four of us, and I'm keeping us to $150 per week, including household and personal care stuff, as well as some food for the pets. So, if we subtract the non-food items from the total, I'm probably coming in nicely under the $140 per week we'd be allotted under the thrifty plan.

However:

- My husband takes lunch to work only one or two days a week. The other days, he either hits the cafeteria in his building (about $5) or goes out to lunch with friends (more like $10 - $12). I don't include his restaurant lunches in my total.

- We're vegans/vegetarians. So, we eat no fish or meat, and I buy cheese and sour cream only for my husband.

- Even with the vegan/vegetarian thing, not all of us reliably fill half our plates with fruits and veggies. I suspect we eat more, in terms of plain old quantity, than the typical American, but we tend to stick to a relatively narrow selection of what we like that is in season, and it's still not "enough."

Edit: I voted "sometimes," even though it's not entirely accurate, because it seemed like the closest option.

Yes, I'd say so, food and drink items only. We don't eat that much fish, but we eat meat that costs as much or more. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. That's a big honking part of our bill, for sure. We could cut that cost if needed by sticking to the more prosaic items and skipping the kiwi, baby peppers, and so on.

We eat out sometimes, not enough to affect our grocery bill very much, I don't think. If we had to eliminate the eating out and still stick to $600 per month, we could do that quite easily by buying fewer non-necessities at the grocery . . . we generally always toss a few pricey 'fun' items in the cart, and the $20 or whatever it adds up to could go much further as needed.

We don't buy organic. I pay a premium for cage-free eggs from vegetarian fed hens and vegetarian fed chickens, because I once saw some information that was impossible to unsee, ugh. I don't go to local farms for meat, although I think that's a cool idea, but I do buy from the more expensive 'reliable' and responsible store.

I had a food epiphany when a Marco's Pizza opened up next to the Little Caesar's that is near us - we didn't eat nearly as much of the higher-quality pizza even though it tasted much better. Apparently, if filled us up more quickly, because it was made with actual, you know, food. ((stop laughing at my epiphany! my school didnt teach home ec)) So, I began switching to higher-quality food at the grocery as well, bread with fiber and without HFCS, nicer fruit, and so on, and found that my overall bill balanced over time. We eat more of the cheap stuff; even ignoring long-term issues like health, we don't really save that way.

Chickens are not vegetarians...just saying. I know what you mean, however.

You don't want to know what my own chickens have foraged and devoured. Nope.

Vegetarian fed, not vegetarian. In any case, one should not presume to speak for all chickens.

((really, my grandma had chickens, I know they are nastly little critters, but foraging for . . . whatever, is not nearly as nasty as what I saw about factory farming; buying vegetarian fed lets me sleep at night, which is crucial because I really, really like chicken))

Vegetarian fed, not vegetarian. In any case, one should not presume to speak for all chickens.

((really, my grandma had chickens, I know they are nastly little critters, but foraging for . . . whatever, is not nearly as nasty as what I saw about factory farming; buying vegetarian fed lets me sleep at night, which is crucial because I really, really like chicken))

Yep. lol

Thanks to all of the posters. Beaners, your list was awesome! I wish I could try those salmon burgers from Costco btw, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m allergic to soy. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll need to figure out another good, cheap fish.

This March I'm going to actually try following the Thrifty Food Budget, with the two servings of fish each week etc. My food blogging friend Rose who lost an amazing amount of weight on Weight Watchers, is going to help me.

One thing I'm realizing is that our family currently doesn't eat a lot of potatoes or frozen vegetables.

So here's a question for the frugal mamas: What's the best way to use frozen veggies so that my family will eat them?

We probably could, but it is not a fair comparison. As your family gets bigger and you add an extra family member your prices don't rise exponentially at the same rate. We are a family of 11 which would allow $55 a day. We spend 1/2 that and eat well. We eat lots of fruits and veggies. We haven't regularly eaten fish in a while, but I think I *could* do it. Would I want to? That is another question entirely.

I wish I could try those salmon burgers from Costco btw, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m allergic to soy.

You must have a very severe allergy to soy! That must be hard with all of the soybean oil and soy lecithin in products.

DS11 and I are both allergic to soy but can consume stuff with soybean oil and soy lecithin without a problem.

OP, FWIW, some years back the food writer Jeffrey Steingarten spent a week or so meticulously following the Thrifty Food Plan (as well as some other super-frugal approaches) and wrote an entertaining and thoughtful piece about it. I believe it's reprinted in one of his books -- maybe The Man Who Ate Everything?

I voted sometimes. We don't eat tons of fish. What we do get is from Costco. We also stock up at Costco: cheese, hamburger, frozen chicken breasts, lunch meat, turkey bacon (lovingly referred to as Fakon here), crackers, protein bars, spices, and occasionally roasts and fancier cuts of meat.

We do not have great coupon deals here. I shop at Walmart because they are cheapest and price match. Winco foods just opened up but they aren't very close, so I have yet to check them out.

Costco is $130 a month.

Walmart is $75-$125 a week for a family of 4, all boys except me.

Usual weekly list includes: 3 gallons of milk, 12 containers of yogurt, 18 eggs, I gallon fruit juice, some form of sausage, English muffins, bread, bagels, tortillas, 5 pounds of fruit, 3 kinds of greens, mushrooms, onions, beans, potatoes, carrots, celery.

I buy on sale: pasta, sauce, salad dressing, stock.

I have a well stocked pantry and freezer.

I think the thing that saves us the most is that we are simple eaters and we aren't organic, for better or worse, we can't afford to eat organic. I try not to worry about it. I do make lots for. Scratch. We live in the desert so gardening is a joke. I feed a family of 4 on a max of $600 a month. I just did the math. For 28 days, 4 people, 3 meals a day we spend $3.65 a meal.

It can be done, but it would be lots of work. We are in CA, so I could go down the docks and get fresh sardines from the ocean for super cheap. It's very healthy, but pain to clean. If you go to local ethnic stores you can get variety of legumes very cheaply. Oh, I buy 4-5 bags of fruits and veggies every weak for about $50 from small produce markets. The same thing at a supermarket would cost 3x. We spend way too much on food, but that's because we splurge on cheeses, variety of olives and many other things that aren't essentials (olives is a must though).

The key is to know how to cook. I grew up in a traditional society without any availability of canned or frozen meals, so I can cook from scratch.

I have been trying to garden, but not even parsley wants to cooperate with me. :(

I just figured up our grocery spending, and we are currently spending about $4.50 per person per day (roughly). We do average on the fruits&veggies thing, and eat fish about once a week.

However, I read something recently that said Texas has the lowest grocery prices in the nation, sooo...

That is about what we spend too in Texas, and we eat mainly organic. If our prices are lower then I would hate to see prices elsewhere, yikes. Things have gone up a lot in the last couple of years, and the pay checks are the same lol.

If you are saying that we are supposed to spend 5 dollars a day or under per person than yes we can easily come in way under that. With 6 people that would give us $900 for a 30 day month. I have never spent anywhere close to that on food. We do not eat fish twice a week, but we do have vegetables every day. :)

I'm not in the US, but there is no way we spend as little as $5/day & meet the requirements for foods that you list. Some things are much cheaper, but others are more than double what many of you are quoting.

Leafy greens = mostly free, as Silverbeet (Swiss Chard) grows like weeds in the garden

Fish = if ds#2 has luck fishing we get fish for just the cost of bait ($8) Last weekend he brought home five 12" snapper & one 18" snapper. Yum! When he doesn't have luck, we don't have fish as it's just too expensive.

Potatoes = $10-13/10kg bag, depending on the season

Kumera (sweet potatoes) = $5-7/kg

Carrots = $1.50-3/kg

Cucumbers = $2-4 each

Tomatoes = $2-8/kg

Lettuce = $1.50-4 each

Capsicum (Bell Pepper) = $2-5 each

Oranges = $4-6 for a bag of eight

Grapes = $5-12/kg

other fruit = $5-12/kg

I probably spend about $30/week on produce to supplement what we get from our garden. I spend about $50/month on milk alone & that only buys eight gallons of the cheapest milk on the market. In my city farmers markets are more expensive than the supermarkets & we have nothing like Costco. I'm going to try buying from the wholesaler again, if they still allow the public to shop there to see if I can cut some of our costs.

PS---I can feed scouts at regattas for $15-18/person for a weekend (2 breakfast, 2 lunches, 2 dinners) but this is with a strict menu & little choice. Even that is above the $5/day you quote.

I have just over $20/day for our family according to the chart.

I tried to make it as close to $20 as I could. This is more dairy heavy than is usual for our family. We could easily swap out tuna sandwiches for the grilled cheese. It's around 10 lbs of fruits and vegetables, not including the potatoes. The "plate" page says we should have 9.5 cups per day. It looks like we're at twice the recommendation, but I need to stop looking at these numbers and go clean my real kitchen.

Your prices are CHEAP!

I spend about Ă‚Â£80 per week (US$ 124) for four people. That includes some cleaning supplies (toilet roll, shampoo) but not others which I buy in bulk. The majority of that is spent at Aldi.

That makes about $4.42 a day per person. The boys don't have weekday lunch at home, but if they did it would be cheap: root veg/lentil soup, for example, so I think we would hit about $5 per person. Strangely, the amount doesn't vary very much whether Husband is home Monday to Friday or not. Most weeks we eat fish twice: often mackerel or basa, both of which are cheap.

We don't eat meat/fish every day and we buy veg in season: currently brassicas and root veg. I watch out for cheap meat and freeze any I don't use immediately. I buy free-range but not organic. Any out-of-season veg we usually buy frozen: I can get a big bag of frozen sliced bell peppers for a pound, for example. I cook almost everything from scratch.

FWIW, UK prices tend to be more expensive than US ones.

ETA: a standard menu might be:

Breakfast: whole grain wraps with tomato and a couple of strips of protein (leftover chicken or something), a banana, small glass of orange juice

Lunch: root veg soup with lentils/barley, perhaps made with a little bacon or with cheese grated in

Supper: whole grain pasta with smoked mackerel and veg in season. Sparkling water (17p for a big bottle) to drink.

Snacks: toast, small glass of milk, oranges, limited bought biscuits/cookies

Laura

Well, I can, and do do that (less fish but I could fit the fish in the budget - I don't like fish). However I have three children under 5, no men, no athletes, and no one who works a physically demanding job. And I live in a low COL area. When the kids are teens I doubt it. If I had teen athletes and a man working a physical job Id never be able to do it without growing most of our food.

Any favorite stores in Seattle for good deals?

Rising Sun was my favorite for produce since I lived near it, but I'm not sure it's still there. It was always rumored to be going soon when I lived there 3 years ago. The International District was the best when I could get down there. I think anyone can eat well and relatively inexpensively if they shop in that neighborhood.

Shoot. I messed up the poll. I missed the part where it was $5 per person, per day. I just thought it was $5 a day, and voted no. For $140 a week I could definitely do the fruits and veggies, but fish would be hit or miss. We generally don't eat fish because it's not affordable. This time of year when it's on sale for the Lenten season I'm more likely to pick it up a few times.

I can't tell you how many times I've fed my family for a week on just $20 and whatever we had in the pantry/freezer. Having $140 to spend per week would be a luxury for me.

So, for the six of us that would be $900/month. That is very doable for us. We eat lots of organic produce and local, grassfed meat, eggs, and dairy. We eat homemade everything. We don't eat a lot of fish but we have it sometimes. We actually shoot for $600/month but we don't always make it and since we buy most of our food in large bulk purchases it is hard sometimes to figure out a running average.

I get Trident Seafoods Salmon Burgers from Costco. They are made from wild caught Alaskan salmon. Our Costco sells them for $15.99 for 12 patties. That works out to a serving of wild salmon for $1.33.

The local butcher we use sometimes has wild salmon (filleted, vacuum packed, and frozen) for under $4 a pound. Last summer, I found wild salmon (whole) for $3.50 a pound at Top Foods when they were in season. I think I'm able to find these because of where we live though.

I had these in my hand last time I was there and put them back and when I mentioned them to dh he was, like, "Of all the stupid things you bring home from Costco--you put back the salmon burgers!" Yup. I'm definitely going to try them next time.

Yes, easily. That would be more than I spend on all of our groceries in a week including toiletries and paper products. But fruits, veggies and fish are SUPER cheap here.

If you asked me to feed my family beef or pork a few times a week with milk to drink at each meal for that amount , there is no way I could do it. Beef, pork and dairy products are brutally expensive here.

For our family of 5, yes we can do that for $700/month. If we were a family of 3, it would be a struggle at $420/month. Adding in the extra people doesn't really increase our food costs a great deal but it does mean that we have more monthly budget to spend. Maybe when my two littles are eating more, it'll be more of a struggle.

Yes, I generally do this without really trying. (My kids are pre-pubescent girls, though.) We buy our groceries at a healthy food store (mostly organic), do not fuss about prices, and eat out multiple times per week, and it still works out to around $5 per person per day. If I wanted to, I could make it a lot less than that.

I can easily feed my family of 4 for $140 a week, with all the veggies we could eat. We don't eat as many fruits and veggies as we should, but we could on that kind of a budget. I love Aldi for inexpensive fruits and veggies (I know some won't shop there), and we get a bunch of reasonably priced veggies at our farmer's market. But at the grocery store I only buy the veggies and fruits that are on sale. For example, this week our Harris Teeter has fresh asparagus on sale for $1.49 a pound. I will buy a bit of it. I don't buy it when it's $3.99 a pound. Shopping the sales, in our area at least, can greatly reduce a grocery bill. Our meal plan depends on what's on sale, not what we might particularly want. I do stock up when things are a good price. I don't even use many coupons, but shopping the sales reduces my grocery bill by 30 - 50% a week.

That said, I think we eat well, including some organic. We mostly buy free range chicken, and we get our ground beef at Earth Fare, so grass fed. We probably don't eat fish twice a week on average, but I bet we have fish or seafood 6 nights a month. And we do eat processed food, too. I keep Stouffer's lasagnas in the freezer for those busy nights, but I only buy them on sale! :D

$5/person/day would give me $275 more per month than I usually spend, and that's on food and paper products, etc. I'd love to be able to spend that much, but it's not in our budget. (Our current diet (way of eating) is meat, eggs, cheese, veggies and fruit. We do not currently eat much in the way of starchy foods; the kids get some of what's still in the cupboard, though).

Whether or not $5 a day will work for families really depends on the cost of living in their area.

Yes, there are 5 (2 adults, 3 children ages 9-14) of us and we have that sort of diet including organic as much as I can get it. My average food expense per month was $703.07 in 2012 and $548.44 on 2011 when hubby was deployed.

It is possible but I get many comments from people on how they could not live that way we do.

Your prices are CHEAP!

Where do you live? These food prices seem impossible.

I'm just outside of Cincinnati. Prices here are good, although I don't think they're much different than the prices where we lived in TN, NY, or PA. All of those prices except the muffin mix have been available at a local grocery store called Jungle Jims in the last month. Their current ad is on this site. http://www.junglejims.com A lot of those things have also been at the same prices at Kroger or Aldis. I shop hard, and I only buy things on sale. None of these are coupon prices, although I wish I could coupon as much as I used to. This particular menu would be a lot more expensive in the summer, but we'll be eating different sale items then.

I can do it easily where we live -- we eat a ton of produce, too. We have fruit with every meal and for snacking, dinner always has at least 2 veggie options (and we almost always have a big salad on the table), and we only eat wild-caught fish (though rarely anything fancy -- usually frozen salmon or cod, and I am hooked on the tuna canned in olive oil, which I get at Costco). We eat what's in season or on sale, I am starting from a stocked freezer/pantry, I garden, and I make most things from scratch. Our only food issue is that I can't have wheat, but I don't really buy any substitute products for that, I just skip any foods containing it, and we probably eat more rice and potatoes for starches than we would otherwise.

We have a family of 6 so that would be $30 a day for us. We don't spend anywhere near that, but we have a garden in the summer. My husband also likes to hunt and fish. We generally eat venison instead of beef and catch the fish we eat either locally or at the beach on our yearly vacation. If I had to buy it all, we probably couldn't afford the grocery bill.

IMG_1280-e1360862270703-202x300.jpg

Well now I'm so curious that I'm willing to open myself up to scrutiny and shame! :tongue_smilie:

Here's my receipt from Costco for our veg for the week. Are these the same Costco prices you pay in your part of the country?

P.S. The grapes and watermelon were a big splurge for us. I don't normally buy out of season produce. This was our special ValentineĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Day treat instead of dessert. Normally we eat apples, pears, oranges and bananas all winter.

We don't have Costco, but it's hard to compare because I'm not sure how much you are getting for that price.

Good point! I was thinking Costco shoppers would know what I mean. But maybe the packs aren't standard.

16 cups Kale

10 cups spinach

2 watermelons

5 avocados

4 heads? celery

4 English cucumbers

9 cups snap peas

10 lb. carrots

1 fresh pineapple

1 bag frozen pineapple

2 lbs. tomatoes

3 lbs. grapes

1 (giant) bag frozen pineapple

1 (giant) bag frozen strawberries

I can find decent fruit and veggies at Aldi's (I rarely find good lettuce there), plus some fruit from the co-op where I can get in-season fruit for less than $1/lb. I usually buy frozen veggies which run $1.10 lb. I make my own saurkraut, so that's pretty cheap and nutritious. It's the fish part that throws me off. Ds17 frequently eats a whole can of tuna in a sandwich for a snack, so he's probably the only one who eats fish twice a week.

Really, though, $5 X 8 people X 30 days = $1200 and that's quite a bit more than what we spend each month. My guess is that groceries here are on the low side, and we eat a lot of eggs.

I did that on $20/week per person in Seattle, which isn't exactly an inexpensive place to live. We're spending about $25/week per person now. The only difference is that we had fish once a week which wouldn't have changed the budget significantly.

Like another poster mentioned, Winco helped a lot and I stocked up there once every three months because it was far away. I bought almost everything in bulk and cooked from scratch. In any town I've lived in, I've been able to find produce place that sells decent produce for way less than the regular grocery stores, and we eat produce in season. Whole grains, beans, and a little meat filled out the rest of our food.

I couldn't do it if I only had a traditional grocery store to shop at, but as long as I have a car, I can be creative and feed my family well for not a huge amount of money.

Have you seen the fish prices in Seattle lately? Unless that second meal of fish was 1 can of tuna, yeah then second serving would add quite a bit. I buy my fish off of the boats at Fisherman's Terminal or at the festival each year and even those prices are higher these days. At the store anything that I am comfortable buying is very high.

IMG_1280-e1360862270703-202x300.jpg

16 cups Kale

10 cups spinach

2 watermelons

5 avocados

4 heads? celery

4 English cucumbers

9 cups snap peas

10 lb. carrots

1 fresh pineapple

1 bag frozen pineapple

2 lbs. tomatoes

3 lbs. grapes

1 (giant) bag frozen pineapple

1 (giant) bag frozen strawberries

Those prices are way higher than I pay here (just north of Cincinnati, OH). I don't buy organic, but I don't think even organic is that high here. Although your price for 10 lb of carrots looks really good--I usually buy the bagged baby carrots, so your price beats that easily. I think the carrots in the bulk bin here could be about .60/lb.