Menu

What do you think of the name Spencer?

wendyroo

Please, be brutally honest - give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

What does the name Spencer bring to mind?

I am pregnant with my third boy. My first two are Peter Thomas and Elliot Robert. For the new baby I am considering Spencer David (all middle names are after family members).

Does it flow - Peter, Elliot and Spencer?

Thanks,

Wendy

They sound good together. :) Spencer was the name of the first boy who kissed me (even if it was on the cheek), so I am partial to it. Although, it didn't work out so maybe not so much. ;) I think it sounds good with your other names although I am not completely in love with it.....I think it's up to you and your family.

My second oldest is Spencer. I love the name, heard it first time when I was 13 and loved it then. Suits ds I think. He is 15 yrs old now, sweet, loving, hard working and an awesome athlete. So when I hear the name that is what comes to mind There is another Spencer on his club soccer team and he is a neat kid as well.

I thought of that little boy in "As Good as it Gets" but I don't think that movie is as popular generally as it is with me and dh. Otherwise, it's the kind of name that I would roll my eyes at because it sounds pretentious and cute. But if it's a family name, I think it's fine. So I guess you'd be risking having people like me (privately) roll their eyes at you until they got to know you well enough to learn that it was a family name. :) Not sure that's any reason not to use it.

I thought that was a great movie!

I thought of that little boy in "As Good as it Gets" but I don't think that movie is as popular generally as it is with me and dh. Otherwise, it's the kind of name that I would roll my eyes at because it sounds pretentious and cute. But if it's a family name, I think it's fine. So I guess you'd be risking having people like me (privately) roll their eyes at you until they got to know you well enough to learn that it was a family name. :) Not sure that's any reason not to use it.

Guest inoubliable

Sounds a bit too preppy for my taste, but I think it flows nicely with your other kids' names. We recycle middles names in my family, too. :)

I am pregnant with my third boy. My first two are Peter Thomas and Elliot Robert. For the new baby I am considering Spencer David (all middle names are after family members).

Thanks,

Wendy

One of my boys' friends is named Spencer. Nice kid. Never gave it too much thought either way.

Ive never met a Spencer, but i picture an intellectual looking kid in glasses. Like the kid in Jerry McGuire (which I've never seen). No idea where I'm getting that from.

This made me curious so I looked up "kids named spencer" and this is the first site I saw...more Internet commentary on the name, for better or worse...http://www.behindthename.com/name/spencer/comments

I agree, it fits in nicely with the other names.

I think it was semi-popular about 15-20 years ago. But I don't think it is very popular right now. That part works for me. I'm not sure if you are after a very popular name or not.

I think it goes well with the names you've given your other kids. I like it with David too.

I really can't think of any reason not to go with it.

I love the name Spencer and I think it fits nicely with your other boys' names.

I grew up with a Spencer who was (and still is) one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, from a great family.

I also love the character on iCarly named Spencer. He's funny and caring and a bit weird. That show ended this season, I don't think it'll linger too long so it shouldn't be a bother for him growing up.

Honestly, it's not a favorite, and that's because of some of the negative connotations i've experienced with it. I (embarrassingly) watched the show The Hills, and there was a Spencer Pratt on there. Oi. that name will forever be associated with him, for me. Blech. Also, I grew up with kids whose last name was Spencer, so it's also a bit of a "last name" for me.

Thanks,

Wendy

Spencer sounds like it "fits" with Peter and Elliot. BTW, I like all your boys' names. :)

Other possible names that may work with Peter and Elliot:

• Alan David
  • Brian David
  • Christopher David
  • Lawrence David
  • Matthew David
  • Nicholas David
  • Stephen David
  • Tristan David
  • Zachary David

I think it has been given to characters on TV/movies who are portrayed as stereotypical nerdy, or at least that's the way it used to be. I don't care for it for that reason but also because there is too much sssss sound in it. Also, I have known two Spencers, and one was a spoiled and bratty child, the other was a self-absorbed full-of-himself teenager. :( Gee, I am not usually negative on the board, so I feel bad for saying that! :leaving:

My third child is named Spencer David so I obviously love your choice :). It is the last name of my husbands dearest uncle so he is named for him. I actually dont love the last name first name thing but i never associated spencer as a last name. It was always a first name when i heard it until i married my husband. And despite not caring for the trend we have another son named Porter which is my MILs maiden name. And i love his name too and it fits him.

My Spencer is a great kid :). I say go for it!

Love the name. It's very 'smooth' sounding and pleasant.

However, It's a last name, so I wouldn't use it, because as far as I know, there are no Spencers in my background. I love the name Harrison, for instance, but I couldn't bring myself to use it, as there are no Harrys or Hanks etc, in our family. Harris was on the table for bit with our oldest, but again, it's a last name/ surname, so we went with names that had meaning to us, or that were/ are family names. We ended up with more John & Joseph type names.