Menu

POLL: kitty-corner, catty-corner, or ???

alef

kitty-corner, catty-corner, cater-cornered?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How do you describe something located diagonally across an intersection or square?

• kitty-corner
    • catty-corner
    • cater-cornered
    • none of the above

I grew up saying kitty-corner, and recently heard catty-corner for the first time. Apparently the original term was cater-cornered, but I've never heard that. Just curious to know what other people say. I'm originally from the western US, if that makes a difference. And for the curious, here's an explanation of where the terms came from.

Is this (below) what prompted the poll? (source: grammarist.com)

I have not heard any form other than "catty-corner", except for when I abbreviate that to "cat-corner". I'm from Texas, but have lived elsewhere, and know people from many states.

Catty-corner, kitty-corner

Catty-corner, kitty-corner, and cater-cornered all derive from the Middle English catre-corner, literally meaning four-cornered. All three forms are used throughout the English-speaking world. They usually mean positioned diagonally across a four-way intersection, but they can work in other contexts relating to one thing being diagonal from another.

While most dictionaries recommend cater-cornered, kitty-corner and catty-corner are more common in actual usage. The past-participial forms—i.e., kitty-cornered and catty-cornered—might be more grammatically correct, but the uninflected forms are more common.

Catty-corner if I'm feeling comparatively formal (with-people-other-than-family formal, not meet-the-Queen formal, though I suspect Queen Elizabeth would appreciate catty-corner), cattywampus if not.

This, though I think I say kitty-corner too on occasion. I grew up all over the place.

It's one of those "If you hadn't asked me, I could answer you" situations.

ETA I didn't answer the poll because I say kitty and catty.

Catty-corner if I'm feeling comparatively formal (with-people-other-than-family formal, not meet-the-Queen formal, though I suspect Queen Elizabeth would appreciate catty-corner), cattywampus if not.

I thought 'cattywampus' meant 'askew/awry' or (as I would say it) 'skew whiff', rather than 'diagonally opposite'. I think that's how Husband (Texas) uses it.

Laura

Never heard any of them (I'm in Australia) in my life! But after reading what it meant, we would say diagonally opposite.

I have never ever heard of them either. I have never said diagonally opposite either. They are not expressions used in Australia.I had to ask my Canadian DH what in the earth it meant. He said it is when you are describing where someone lives according to your house? we would say across the road. Or just point on an angle and say over there!

I thought 'cattywampus' meant 'askew/awry' or (as I would say it) 'skew whiff', rather than 'diagonally opposite'. I think that's how Husband (Texas) uses it.

Laura

now there is a word that I have heard. though not in this context. My mother would say to me that my skirt was skew whiff if it was hanging crooked.