Menu

When did your son stop wearing character underwear?

Kathryn

I am pretty sure my 12 year old would be fine with it. However, both my boys are ballet dancers and they need black underwear for class. As they get older they take more and more classes and it gets easier to just buy only black.

We own the worlds largest collection of boy black underwear. It is weird.

I don't think my ds ever wore character underwear. I wouldn't even know where to find it!

But he was very picky about comfort. For years, we had to get pricy Hanna Andersson because it was the only kind I could find with a covered waistband. Then I finally found Hanes made some, though it's very hard to find in stores.

So it's always been all about the comfort here.

Superhero underwear comes in adult sizes. Just sayin'.

This. I know a couple well-adjusted :D middle aged men who wear character underwear.

ETA: But no women who do. Hmmmm.

LOL - my DH has a couple pair. He's into comics and graphic novels and he's gotten some in his Christmas stocking. :laugh: My 12 year old ds still wears them, but he still has size 8 underwear in good condition that still fit (he is tiny for age) so we haven't phased out the star wars ones. As I replace them, I do get plain ones. But I honestly don't think he cares one way or another. He is no fashion maven in terms of outer wear or underwear!

DS12 switched from character undies at about 8, to character boxers. Makes sense, since DH still wears boxers advertising his favorite superheroes. Heck, I'd still be wearing my underoos if they made them for adult women, I loved my Supergirl and Wonder Woman sets as a kid! DS7 is still in character undies, but he's outgrowing them so we'll see what he picks out next time we go sock and undie shopping. I expect he'll stick with them for as long as possible. He is my kid that refuses to wear matching socks because he says it "stifles him."

Don't think we ever had character underwear for the twins...but Hubby has lots of character boxer shorts. They make great gag gifts on Father's Day! He is 53.GrinchHomer Simpson (several different ones)Cat in the hatJurassic Park t-rexTasmanian Devil (from Bugs Bunny cartoons)etc.

Mine stopped when he decided he didn't like it. I don't remember how old he was. If your ds thinks he is too old for it, he is. There is a good possibility that when he is older he will like it again. :)

Punk was maybe 8? I agree with Lolly on this, if he thinks they are too babyish then he is done.

My boys, 8 heading to 9, are one still enjoying characters and the other not. I'd probably use the responses here to let him know some older kids wear them and if he ever changes his mind he can try them out. Then I'd probably leave them in the drawer for a while as an option. However, I'd let him be done with characters if that's what he wants. Obviously, I did do that here!

Just to clarify, I have not and do not plan on forcing him to wear them. This came about because last time I bought underwear for him, about six months ago, I bought plain ones and dealt with his disappointment about that by telling him that that was what "big boys" wear. He *wanted* character underwear then, but I had bought plain. So, I got him his favorite character for Christmas, but because of my earlier statement, he was under the impression that they were babyish. I don't care one way or the other, but I suspect that he really wants to wear them but is denying himself because of my earlier statement. So, I figured I'd ask what other boys do about this.