Menu

s/o Things you were once told were evil...

Joker

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, she had this talk with me in 8th grade in the early 80's (and referred to it as "mary-jane" like it was 1970, lol). I actually did know what it was. I had tried to smoke it earlier that year, but we actually purchased oregano from the "dealer" and got completely ill smoking it! Anyway, that is my whole drug history in a nutshell. I had a stint as an "Oregano" Head:lol:

Susan

:lol::lol::lol:

All I know is, I get a lot of hits when I google Hawaii pot shirt. Hawaii seaweed shirt? Not so much :lol:

You're so funny! I didn't see this when I posted about my Googling! The shirt did not look like the one you posted! It was more like a vine-thing w/shells, etc. I'm cracking up that it's even a topic of conversation now!

My mom also freaked out about Harry Potter. When I mentioned that my daughter was reading them, she came over to have a 'serious discussion' about how I was opening her mind up to the devil.

My 6th grade english teacher told my class that the reason " Gazunteight" must be said after a sneeze is because when one sneezes, ones heart stops for a second and the devil gets in there while it's stopped. According to her, Gazunteight means "GOd bless you' and saying it would repel Satan from that temporarily halted heart. :001_huh:

Don't forget smoking on the street!

Was grandmother southern, by chance? I love a lot of older southern ladies who don't blink an eye at most outrageous behavior, but heaven help you if you smoke or eat on the street.

Funny you ask that. She wasn't southern, but I suspect she aspired to be; she developed quite the southern accent for somebody who rarely left New York state. As a young woman, she was a professional burlesque dancer (which was, at the time, most scandalous); I think she became fixated on propriety as a response to how she'd been treated.

I had tried to smoke it earlier that year, but we actually purchased oregano from the "dealer" and got completely ill smoking it! Anyway, that is my whole drug history in a nutshell. I had a stint as an "Oregano" Head:lol:

Susan

That's hilarious!

You were hitting the spices....that's hardcore.

Most everything was considered evil in our house/church...but the most traumatic memory to me was when I was probably 8 or so. I loved the "Care Bears". My parents didn't have enough money to get the actual bears, but my mom found some that you could cut out of fabric and sew up. My mom did not usually do things like this, so it was a big deal! She made me the whole set. Then the person who wrote the book "Turmoil in the Toybox" came to speak at our church. He targeted the evil Smurfs, Rainbow Brite (another favorite) and of course, the Care Bears. My mom took the Care Bears and burned them. It was heartbreaking. I still miss those bears!

I was reading this aloud to my dh and we both agree. You poor thing! We both want to send you Care Bears now!

OK, those Tarot Cards were creepy! Those ducklings had a look of pure evil about them!

Yes, Tarot Cards were on our list along with ouiji boards, women wearing pants to church, Catholics, consuming alcohol (We were told Jesus made the non-alcoholic type.) Everyone who isn't a BAC was going to Hades, and Pagans worship the devil. My grandmother never cut her hair or wore pants. (Picture Aunt Bea.)

I once returned a borrowed cassette to a friend. She pulled the tape out and broke it because our church was going through this phase where music was evil. I remember wishing she'd just given it to me. It was Air Supply . . . Yeah . . .they're scary!

I remember not having homework during revivals. The school was right next to our church.

Hmm...my parents were pretty easy going. But from church {a non-denom} I learned that:

Tarot Cards

Oiegie boards

Witchcraft

Harry Potter

Catholics

Muslims

Marilyn Manson

Magic the Gathering & D&D

Scouts

Teletubbies

Barney

were Evil. I'm a die hard Harry Potter fan, did a stint as a Catholic, became a Muslim, and got my first lap dance to a Marilyn Manson song. I think I turned out okay :D

Can't believe some people listed Smurfs! I was never told any of these things from my own family or Church(Catholic), but when I was in Jr. High I babysat for a little five year old girl who told me one day that Smurfs were evil. I think I suggested we watch a rerun of them or something, and she took my face in her hands and said something about Smurfs making people go to Hell. I was sure she had misunderstood something she heard at church, but apparently this is a widespread fear!

Can't believe some people listed Smurfs! I was never told any of these things from my own family or Church(Catholic), but when I was in Jr. High I babysat for a little five year old girl who told me one day that Smurfs were evil. I think I suggested we watch a rerun of them or something, and she took my face in her hands and said something about Smurfs making people go to Hell. I was sure she had misunderstood something she heard at church, but apparently this is a widespread fear!

I think my mom was concerned with the magic in the show or something like that.

Ouiji Boards

Magic 8 balls

Astrology

Bloody Mary

I wasn't allowed to watch Unico or All Dogs Go To Heaven because there was a devil or something in them (although last night my mom said the ADGTH one was untrue)

and............

any airline other than United, the worst of all being Delta. My dad was a pilot for United and apparently 6 year olds don't understand sarcasm all that well. I still remember going on a school trip in the seventh grade with a different airline and worrying that the pilot was going to kill us all.

Me!

I was told I was evil or satanic or going to hell several times by my teachers at a Christian Jr high school. I was a fairly shy, well-behaved kid and came from a more mainstream denomination and thankfully had the common sense to know that it wasn't true. But I worry about kids from fundamentalist traditions who might actually believe that sort of thing.

and............

any airline other than United, the worst of all being Delta. My dad was a pilot for United and apparently 6 year olds don't understand sarcasm all that well. I still remember going on a school trip in the seventh grade with a different airline and worrying that the pilot was going to kill us all.

I had a similar thing about age 6--I remember my dad calling mopeds 'deathtraps.' I seriously thought that was the real name of the thing, and had a mental image of a motorcycle with "Deathtrap" written on it in chrome letters. I wondered why the company would use that name, when you'd think it would drive the customers away...

E.T. ("looks like aborted fetus and is a tool of the pro-choice groups"), etc. ad nauseum. :glare:

WHAT? Ok, that is a totally new one to me. Lordy, the things people dream up when seeking to label something "evil".

I remember a woman swearing that her "friend's" daughter had been very nearly killed by a Cabbage Patch kid. Who has the time to make up these crazy stories?

Drunkeness

Gambling

War (My family were chtistian pacifist conciencious objectors so taking part in war in any shape or form was unchristian). I am inclined to feel people must listen to their own consiences but hope my boys don't test me on this).

Ouji boards give me the creeps.

Oh and peacock feathers in the house.

:lol::lol::lol:

(ducklings are pretty hardcore!)

Also...I can't imagine what could be the reasoning re: cabbage patch dolls

Adoption (there are people that are anti-adoption and believe that adopted children carry their biological parents' sins with them, must be diligently prayed over, and strictly raised to remove these inherited sins, etc, etc, via Bill Gothard and ask me how I know :glare: ), you are signing to love an object and care for it as though it were a living being, etc...I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't remember them all atm.

The issue I was taught about E.T. was that the media were trying to make aliens seem normal so that we will be accepting and deceived by them...because aliens are really demons in the flesh.

just me...

My parents didn't believe in anything being satanic or evil (heck they thought it was fun that my friends and I used oujia boards at teens etc), but that is likely because my mom's good friend was/is a Wiccan with a store out in BC and my nana was big on reading tarot cards, got me my first runes etc.

BUT as a kid they used to send us to sunday school with a family friend that went to church. That was until I was expelled from sunday school at 9 yrs old and told never to return, that I was going to hell.

Do you know what IS evil?

The fact that many of you are listing "things" in this thread as being part of your *childhood* that were part of my *parenting* years. :glare::tongue_smilie:

I have heard most of the stuff in this thread being talked about as evil; but only in my adult years and from news as a child.

Growing up, there was no one in my circle of influence who had that kind of perspective.

I was told that the Smurfs live in Hell and are dead (which is why they are blue) and that Gargamel is Satan.

At the Bible College I attended (in the 2000's) the following things were evil:

-games that were not "Christian"

-Pants for women (because when men see the crease between buttocks and legs they can't help but think about intercourse)

-Movies rated anything but G except for the Passion, and theaters

-beards on men (nevermind the huge picture in the chapel of Jesus with a beard!)

-Harry Potter

-Vegetarianism (I still don't get this one)

-Jewelry, Make-up

-secular music or any music with a drum beat

-women with wet hair (because men will think of you in the shower)

-Democrats

Before I attended women had to cover the elbows at all times. Because apparently an elbow at the right angle looks like a breast. Seriously.

OK, those Tarot Cards were creepy! Those ducklings had a look of pure evil about them!

Great. Now you've ruined everything. I thought the Ugly Duckling was on the list of respectable reading. I had that story down as Literature for dd for next year, and now I'll have to redo all my plans and reclassify it as Evility Studies. What a hassle. :glare:

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Oh, gosh! Well....let's see, where to start....

-Halloween. Of course.

-including Santa in our Christmas celebrations.

-Pokemon.

-Harry Potter.

-dancing.

-pretty much anything beyond holding hands with a boy, including -gasp!- a front-hug!!

I may or may not have gone a little bit to the opposite extreme with my kids, in that we have all 7 Harry Potter books on the living room bookshelf, decorate our home for Halloween, prominently display our Santa decorations at Christmas, etc.

We had one Sunday School teacher who said that anything that didn't directly praise or honor God, was therefore dishonoring to God. So all non-Christian music, books, etc. The crazy part? I was in a place at that time where I believed him and embraced that. :sigh: I have since repented..... ;)

I was raised in the south (NC) by non-religious parents, I don't recall them telling me anything was evil. My mother didn't like ouija boards and didn't want me to have one in the house, that's the only thing I remember.

Same here. I wouldn't say my parents were non-religious but culturally Christian/Catholic.

There was a family up the street from us who told me that the Smurfs, Halloween, Santa, and a million other things were evil. I hung out with the daughter, who was about my age.

My parents, upon hearing this, suggested I hang out with her less.

I never heard anything was evil from my parents or anything like that! I owned a Ouija board in fact.

Of course when my dad found me listening to Marilyn Manson one day he told me that Marilyn was just ripping off a singer from the 70s, so I needed to try harder if I was trying to be shocking, but if I actually liked the music than I needed a crash course in good music. He took me to an Aerosmith concert and bought me Tom Petty and Allman Brothers cds.

...maybe we were the evil ones? ;)

Your dad was so cool!

My parents didn't label, but their parents and grandparents did. Let see, before we went to visit one set of grandparents we had to promise not to bring the playing cards, discuss certain issues, or wear certain things.

Most everything listed I've heard or been told were evil:

Playing cards

Gambling (especially card games like poker)

Pokemon & any Japanese games

Harry Potter

cleavage

short skirts

long hair on boys

boys who wear skirts

girls who wear pants

men who wear jewelry

Ouija Board

Tarot cards

D&D

Rock-n-Roll (especially groups with openly bad habits or gay individuals)

- big violators were Ozzy, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.... ad nauseum

Numerology

Anything paranormal

Other religions besides christianity

Atheists

smoking

drinking (granted one grandparent was an alcoholic, she didn't model good drinking habits)

pot - obviously

nightclubs (I think people thought they were all like Studio 54)

Most of TV

MTV - back when they actually played music

X-Files - obviously Mulder and Scully were evil

James Bond - all that drinking and those women

books too - certain extended family members would be aghast that I own a Qur'an, some would be aghast I own a Catholic bible too. Thankfully they don't come to my house.

studying anything that might negatively influence your mind. It's so fun trying to explain classical ed to people who think studying the Greeks and Romans is evil. Yeah, I'm pretty sure one church didn't call us back after we visited and they asked about our homeschooling method. :lol:

I'm pretty sure video games of any kind would have been on grandma's list, probably even Minecraft. :tongue_smilie:

After reading this thread, I realize I was told a lot of sh** when I was a kid and even as an adult.

adding: I grew up in MO. Many of these beliefs came from the very isolated physically (I would say rural, but it wasn't location as it was so much who they hung out with) very religious family who rarely associated with people not like them.

Edited by elegantlion

I was told that the Smurfs live in Hell and are dead (which is why they are blue) and that Gargamel is Satan.

At the Bible College I attended (in the 2000's) the following things were evil:

-games that were not "Christian"

-Pants for women (because when men see the crease between buttocks and legs they can't help but think about intercourse)

-Movies rated anything but G except for the Passion, and theaters

-beards on men (nevermind the huge picture in the chapel of Jesus with a beard!)

-Harry Potter

-Vegetarianism (I still don't get this one)

-Jewelry, Make-up

-secular music or any music with a drum beat

-women with wet hair (because men will think of you in the shower)

-Democrats

Before I attended women had to cover the elbows at all times. Because apparently an elbow at the right angle looks like a breast. Seriously.

Wow! Someone had some hang-ups about $ex.

just me...

My parents didn't believe in anything being satanic or evil (heck they thought it was fun that my friends and I used oujia boards at teens etc), but that is likely because my mom's good friend was/is a Wiccan with a store out in BC and my nana was big on reading tarot cards, got me my first runes etc.

BUT as a kid they used to send us to sunday school with a family friend that went to church. That was until I was expelled from sunday school at 9 yrs old and told never to return, that I was going to hell.

Okay, I'll bite. What exactly does one do at nine to get expelled from Sunday school?

Great. Now you've ruined everything. I thought the Ugly Duckling was on the list of respectable reading. I had that story down as Literature for dd for next year, and now I'll have to redo all my plans and reclassify it as Evility Studies. What a hassle. :glare:

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Evility studies sounds like a great subject ...

I'm a Baptist PK from Indiana, so here's what I was told was evil -

- everything you guys have said so far :-)

- PLUS The Wonderful World of Disney BECAUSE it was on Sunday night, so obviously it was the work of Satan trying to keep Christians from going to Sunday night services. Oh, sure, we had already BEEN to Sunday MORNING services, but think how much STRONGER we'd all be as Christians if we ALL went to Sunday morning AND Sunday night services! Satan is subtle! He knows if he makes a direct assault on our Christianity by trying to get us to not go to Sunday morning service, we'll see him for what he is, BUT he's perfectly happy to weaken our faith by keeping us home Sunday night. Then we're softened up for the other temptations of the world.

Also, my sister told my DD last year that my DD was 'letting evil into her life' because she dressed up as Susan, the granddaughter of Death in the Discworld novels. Fortunately, DD's response was to say "Oh, really?" and move on.

There was a family up the street from us who told me that the Smurfs, Halloween, Santa, and a million other things were evil. I hung out with the daughter, who was about my age.

My parents, upon hearing this, suggested I hang out with her less.

I never heard anything was evil from my parents or anything like that! I owned a Ouija board in fact.

Of course when my dad found me listening to Marilyn Manson one day he told me that Marilyn was just ripping off a singer from the 70s, so I needed to try harder if I was trying to be shocking, but if I actually liked the music than I needed a crash course in good music. He took me to an Aerosmith concert and bought me Tom Petty and Allman Brothers cds.

...maybe we were the evil ones? ;)

:lol: Sounds like my family. Instead of hymns, we had Janice Joplin, Grateful Dead, and U2. My mom used to work for music companies entertaining professional musicians who came to town. So instead of fairy tales, I got stories of Iggy Pop and Prince. :tongue_smilie: I will say, though, that I was so in the dark about this "evil" stuff that when I was in 8th grade, I stayed the night with a friend whose mother just converted to a denomination that will remain nameless. Yeah...I went with my black hair and nails, boy shorts (literally) and Nirvana t-shirt. To make a long story short, I'm pretty sure I was the example of what was evil for years to come!

I haven't read this entire thread--just saw it! Just about everything on the first page I had seen referred to as evil or satanic at one time or another, though.

But has anyone mentioned unicorns yet?

I had a Christian friend whose mother prohibited unicorns because they were evil, and so God didn't allow them on the ark and they became extinct in the flood.

Another:

the 52 deck of playing cards (because the face cards are mocking God, Jesus, and Mary...and the Joker is Satan, of course)

My best friend was not allowed to watch the Disney "Sleeping Beauty" as a child because the evil queen looked too much like Satan's wife. To this day, my best friend's mom is terrified of me because I identify as pagan. Although, she LOVES my organic, heritage apples. :lol:

They live in southern Michigan, some offshoot Baptist house church thing.

Everything listed so far plus:

Shakespeare

All stories of mythology

The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings because of magic

A Christmas Story, Dickens - ghosts

Pants for girls

Hemlines for girls that were not four inches below the knee

lace trim on panties and bras - that's for h**kers you know! :glare:

bathing suits of any style

a woman making any decisions of any kind without her husband's express consent

a woman signing any school notes or communications for her children because that was the province of the father

a woman signing on a mortgage, car loan, etc. or having her name on these kinds of legal documents because men should ALWAYS handle all legal and financial matters and she should not have any say in them

life insurance - a sign of not living by faith

all video games of any kind...pac man, you name it

all music that didn't come from the approved hymn book - for the short period of time that my parents attended this particular fundamental church, I was routinely condemned for studying classical music - seriously going to hell according to the pastor.

a baby that wasn't fully clothed. They would learn immodesty young. :001_huh: Mother's who were advised to leave their infants without diapers on due to diaper rash/infection, were told their doctor was a pervert.

Faith

Cemeteries after dark (because that's where the Satanists hung out. Went on to hang out in one fairly regularly in h.s. and never did meet a Satanist. No worries, it was a tiny village and a tiny cemetery. ;) )

Yes, I know. I was a bad kid for disobeying my parents and frightening them. But I was, and continue to be, an ambassador for common sense.

The cemetary!! I forgot that one. My mother was adamant that I never visit a cemetary after dark because that's when loose women came out and had the sex there. I used to get a laugh driving past them as an adult and wondering where all the prostitutes were. What the heck? We love you enough to bury you in a lovely $10,000 casket and here's a nice plot of land but we will NEVER visit you after dark because "loose" people will be coming out and making love all over your grave!! Where did that level of crazy come from??

I just thought of another!

Debit cards and credit cards. They're a way for Satan to sneak this very innocent sounding system into our world, but then eventually use it for the Mark of the Beast.

I knew people who said they'd never sign up for any sort of card.