Menu

s/o Things you were once told were evil...

Joker

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not evil, exactly, but my grandmother was very clear in her opinion that any woman who would eat "on the street" (meaning anywhere other than at home or in a proper, sit-down restaurant) was of loose morals and in no way a lady. I still feel a slight thrill of rebellion if I eat an ice cream cone while walking in the park.

We had an aunt that felt this way about driving red cars and it didn't matter if it was a man or woman. She grew up and lived in the southeast.

Satan has a wife???? I have never heard that one. And we know what she looks like?????

That is the weirdest thing I have heard yet.

Dawn

My best friend was not allowed to watch the Disney "Sleeping Beauty" as a child because the evil queen looked too much like Satan's wife. To this day, my best friend's mom is terrified of me because I identify as pagan. Although, she LOVES my organic, heritage apples. :lol:

They live in southern Michigan, some offshoot Baptist house church thing.

I do not agree that Tarot Cards are ok. That also goes for Ouija boards or any kind of Psychic activity. I may be the only one on this thread who feels that way, but those things (to me) are what the Bible refers to when it says not to consult mediums. I do not believe it is ok for someone who claims a relationship with Christ.

Dawn

I've also heard people say Tarot cards are evil. :001_rolleyes:

For some reason beards were bad too. No clue on that one.

I forgot about that one. my dad grew a beard in early 70's. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it only to provoke my maternal grandmother. she even went so far as to suggest we shave him when he was asleep. my brother grew his hair out as a teen (after years of my grandfather basicially giving him a "pig shave" for a haircut), and she tried to get us to cut it - when he was asleep.

dh's nephew grew his hair long to wear in a pony tail. I asked him if he was annoying his mom. he smiled. (but she's so easy to annoy, where's the accomplhment in that?)

I do not agree that Tarot Cards are ok. That also goes for Ouija boards or any kind of Psychic activity. I may be the only one on this thread who feels that way, but those things (to me) are what the Bible refers to when it says not to consult mediums. I do not believe it is ok for someone who claims a relationship with Christ.

Dawn

Many people use Tarot Cards as thinking tools, which are bits of paper just like mind maps are. There are a lot of Christians who use them, some believing the information they receive/ perceive comes from God, just like dreams do, some believing they are like mind maps. Not that you have to view it that way yourself. :)

I don't understand how you can be making a blanket statement against psychic activity though. You ignore your intuition? I assume not, and that must be categorised differently? Not picking. Just wondering so I know how to understand next time I run into this which will inevitably happen on this forum. :p

Fwiw, I don't use Tarot cards because I'm pagan. I use them because I like thinking. Tarot cards may be popular with pagans, there are pagan themed decks just like there are Christian themed decks, flower decks, Hello Kitty decks and even a Gummy Bear deck, but they are not pagan themselves. Tarot cards were invented by medieval Christians, but nobody thinks they are exclusively Christian. They are bits of paper with either pretty or ugly pictures on them.

Dawn

I never claimed any such relationship-- I'm pagan. Though, like Rosie, I do know Christians who have their cards read.

Also, I've seen "Angel cards" and the like. I wonder if they are also considered evil or are acceptable because of the Christian imagery. (Not being snarky; genuinely curious :)).

Guest inoubliable

Yikes. I grew up in a RC household, went to school in Catholic academies, and had parents who were very active in the RCA and the like. So.... pretty much everything I was interested in or had questions about was evil according to them. Seriously. I heard somewhere about Lilith and got detention for asking about her in class, assigned confession by the "cool" priest for asking HIM, and grounded for a week by my parents. :glare:

My best friend was not allowed to watch the Disney "Sleeping Beauty" as a child because the evil queen looked too much like Satan's wife. To this day, my best friend's mom is terrified of me because I identify as pagan. Although, she LOVES my organic, heritage apples. :lol:

They live in southern Michigan, some offshoot Baptist house church thing.

I realize this is off topic, but Jennifer, if your best friend lives in Southern michigan and is a homechurching ex-baptist, I likely know her, lol. You should pm me.

My mother felt that The Monkees were evil... pure evil to the core and if we watched even 1 minute of the show we'd be damaged for life. She had the same feelings for The Electric Company.

Yeah, 'cause that Electric Company was full of EVIL EVIL rock music of the devil. It made little kids get hyperactive and DANCE! At least that was the warning in my house.

:party:

Funny you mention that. My Alice Cooper "Trash" t-shirt disappeared, too. To this day, my mother swears she didn't do anything with it. I don't believe her. :lol:

Haha...we just took our kids to see Alice Cooper...and Blue Oyster Cult! Lol.

There was a lot of "evil"talk n the homeschool group when I was a young mom with my older kids. For a while we kept them from Harry Potter, Pokemon, d&d etc. I just wanted to be a good mom. We now really laugh at that....at least my kids have a good sense of humor about the whole thing

I consider my personal intuition far different than asking inanimate objects to conjure thoughts as to what I will do. Yes, I do feel strongly about this and do make blanket statements about them because I believe they are wrong for Christians.

I don't think painting cute pictures changes my beliefs on this.

I do not expect non-Christians to agree with me. I don't have the same expectations of those who don't claim to follow Jesus.

Dawn

Many people use Tarot Cards as thinking tools, which are bits of paper just like mind maps are. There are a lot of Christians who use them, some believing the information they receive/ perceive comes from God, just like dreams do, some believing they are like mind maps. Not that you have to view it that way yourself. :)

I don't understand how you can be making a blanket statement against psychic activity though. You ignore your intuition? I assume not, and that must be categorised differently? Not picking. Just wondering so I know how to understand next time I run into this which will inevitably happen on this forum. :p

Fwiw, I don't use Tarot cards because I'm pagan. I use them because I like thinking. Tarot cards may be popular with pagans, there are pagan themed decks just like there are Christian themed decks, flower decks, Hello Kitty decks and even a Gummy Bear deck, but they are not pagan themselves. Tarot cards were invented by medieval Christians, but nobody thinks they are exclusively Christian. They are bits of paper with either pretty or ugly pictures on them.

Which is why I did specify who I was talking about, followers of Christ.

Angel Cards.....I looked them up.....no, that would not be acceptable to me either. "Ask the cards a question, shuffle the deck, and you will receive an 'angel's' message."

Dawn

I never claimed any such relationship-- I'm pagan. Though, like Rosie, I do know Christians who have their cards read.

Also, I've seen "Angel cards" and the like. I wonder if they are also considered evil or are acceptable because of the Christian imagery. (Not being snarky; genuinely curious :)).

Which is why I did specify who I was talking about, followers of Christ.

My mistake-- since I was quoted I thought you were talking to me specifically. Reading back I see it was directed toward other Christians.

Angel Cards.....I looked them up.....no, that would not be acceptable to me either. "Ask the cards a question, shuffle the deck, and you will receive an 'angel's' message."

Thanks for the response.

butterflymommy, on 08 October 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

My mother felt that The Monkees were evil... pure evil to the core and if we watched even 1 minute of the show we'd be damaged for life. She had the same feelings for The Electric Company.

That explains it! That explains my spiritual demise. I loved The Electric Company.

Hea then

Heathen

LOL

Sorry. Apparently I have a habit of quoting and answering something someone said but then rabbit trailing and starting other ideas/topics and the person thinks they were directed at them.........I need to remember to start another post. You aren't the only one I have done that to.

My mistake-- since I was quoted I thought you were talking to me specifically. Reading back I see it was directed toward other Christians.

Thanks for the response.

Some of these are pretty funny... I had no idea that so many people were raised to believe this stuff was "evil" until I was a homeschooling parent! I was raised in and very active in a Lutheran church growing up, but not much was considered "evil."

On the flip side, I actually have gone the other direction. Not that I believe that things are evil (though some are), but I've come to believe that if things serve no positive purpose whatsoever in my children's lives, then why allow it in our home?

I wasn't raised in a Christian home, so nothing was off limits or evil. Heck, my mom was letting me rent R rated movies when I was ten. She had to sign off on that one though. I thought that I was so cool. Now, I won't even watch R rated movies lol.

This is me. My mom actually loaned me a copy of The Black Arts when I was about 12 and said, "If you manage to summon Satan in the garage, call your father to deal with it." o.0 Interestingly enough, she's now a SSPX Catholic and believes at least one Pope has been a complete heretic.

Clearly kids playing at being Satanists are quite creepy. I don't know about the rest. The only Satanist I know is merely an arrogant jerk with immature opinions about religion, who spends too much time trolling on FB when he ought to be paying attention to his son. There is nothing creepy about that guy, but he still disgusts me. Personally I think anti-religious people naming themselves after a deity they don't believe in is very silly. But I think there are two kinds of Satanists and I haven't been interested enough to remember what I've read about them. All I can recall is I have no respect for one mob but some for the other. Rosie

I was a Leveyan Satanist, the name is pretty much to gain attention and the best explanation I ever got was that Satan is used because it's a well known image of selfishness and going against the norm.

Of course when my dad found me listening to Marilyn Manson one day he told me that Marilyn was just ripping off a singer from the 70s, so I needed to try harder if I was trying to be shocking, but if I actually liked the music than I needed a crash course in good music.

Got this one about Eminem too.

I was also taught that all SAHMs were being oppressed.

This is the one I get most often these days. "You don't want to be equal with men and have a career?? HISSS"

This is me. My mom actually loaned me a copy of The Black Arts when I was about 12 and said, "If you manage to summon Satan in the garage, call your father to deal with it." o.0 Interestingly enough, she's now a SSPX Catholic and believes at least one Pope has been a complete heretic.

Bless her.