Flu shots or no?  

1. 1. Flu shots or no?

• Yes for all three kids; Yes for DH
    • Yes for all three kids; No for DH
    • No for all three kids; Yes for DH
    • No for all three kids; No for DH
    • Other (please explain)

Poll coming.

We haven't had flu shots the past couple of years, mainly because we didn't go up near the doctor's office during the time they were offering them (pediatrician is 45 minutes away). We will be going up there this Friday for other reasons and I'm thinking about calling to see if they can give all 3 kids their flu shot while we are up there.

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth my while (and the hassle of taking all 3 kids up there with us instead of just dropping them off with my MIL! :lol: )

We're pro-vax, all our kids have been vaccinated on schedule. All the kids have had flu shots in the past, just not in the last couple of years.

Also, Astro has mild allergy-induced asthma, and sometimes they have said that he 'should' get it.

DH works in a retirement home/medical facility, so I'm not sure what all he'd be exposed to or if it would be any different than anyone else. (I am considering telling him to get the shot, though, because he's currently on a long dose of antibiotics and I didn't know if that would affect him at all? Like if he'd be more likely to get the flu? I'm terribly out of touch when it comes to how the flu is transmitted... :blush: )

Anyway, so what do you think? Go ahead and get the kids flu shots? What about DH?

I'm not sure why you're asking?

You said you are pro-vax, pro-flu vax, have always done them in the past, have only skipped because it was inconvenient, and gave a list of reasons that you think you should get them.

Are you having doubts and looking for facts? Are you looking for reassurance that getting them is right?

I had such a bad reaction the first time I had the flu shot that they recalled the lot for the city. That was years ago, but it frightened me so badly that I won't get it again, nor am I willing to have it given to our children - at least not for a few more years.

My husband is in the military and he gets the flu shot every year and every single year, he gets super sick afterwards. The experts say you absolutely can not get sick from the flu shot, but I wish they could explain why my husband has never escaped it.:confused:

A few years ago, my son actually caught the flu and was sick. It turns out it was Type E Flu and the shot wouldn't have covered it anyway. :confused:

Poll coming.

We haven't had flu shots the past couple of years, mainly because we didn't go up near the doctor's office during the time they were offering them (pediatrician is 45 minutes away). We will be going up there this Friday for other reasons and I'm thinking about calling to see if they can give all 3 kids their flu shot while we are up there.

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth my while (and the hassle of taking all 3 kids up there with us instead of just dropping them off with my MIL! :lol: )

We're pro-vax, all our kids have been vaccinated on schedule. All the kids have had flu shots in the past, just not in the last couple of years.

Also, Astro has mild allergy-induced asthma, and sometimes they have said that he 'should' get it.

DH works in a retirement home/medical facility, so I'm not sure what all he'd be exposed to or if it would be any different than anyone else. (I am considering telling him to get the shot, though, because he's currently on a long dose of antibiotics and I didn't know if that would affect him at all? Like if he'd be more likely to get the flu? I'm terribly out of touch when it comes to how the flu is transmitted... :blush: )

Anyway, so what do you think? Go ahead and get the kids flu shots? What about DH?

Well, we don't do flu shots ever.

I certainly wouldn't do it if not perfectly healthy.

It's literally a shot in the dark each year anyway, rarely providing any protection for what is actually going around at the time because of the mutations from year to year.

You said you are pro-vax, pro-flu vax, have always done them in the past, have only skipped because it was inconvenient, and gave a list of reasons that you think you should get them.

Are you having doubts and looking for facts? Are you looking for reassurance that getting them is right?

Yes, this was confusing to me as well. It sounds as if she wants to get them so I'm not sure what exactly the request is either.

The protocol around here is for people with pre-existing conditions (some forms of asthma but not all are included), the elderly and health workers to get the flu shot. So I would ask your doctor if it is recommended for the level of asthma that your child has, and suggest your husband gets it too.

FWIW, Husband (bad asthma) gets the shot, but the rest of us don't.

Laura

I'm completely undecided. :)

I was just trying to put all the facts out there - whether DH's job factors in, or his meds, or any of that. I didn't mean for it to sound like anything but just that - presenting the facts. :)

My 3 had RSV as babies; any respiratory infection quickly leads to wheezing. so they get the shot; actually they're finally all old enough for flu mist. ;) I'm pregnant so I'm getting the shot. DH will get the shot if they have a clinic at work. For us, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Christine

I didn't answer the poll since my answers are a little different:

Yes for kids (I have one with asthma too)

Let DH make up his own mind.

For myself I wait and see what kind of flu season it is shaping up to be. If it looks bad I will get it. If not I don't. In 1997 I had a reaction to the flu shot and my arm swelled up for 2 weeks. I don't want that or worse to happen unless I feel that I really need the shot. I also check each year whether the flu virus components are the same as 1997 or not. So I do a risk/benefit decision for myself each year.

Yes, his job most definitely factors in. In fact, I'm surprised his workplace isn't requiring he get one. You do not want to spread the flu to seniors. He should be able to get one at his place of employment for free. It is almost always required of medical workers.

Yes for the kids as well. I am pro-vax and my kids (myself and dh as well) have always gotten the flu shot every year. We have never, ever had any side effects from the shot. It is a dead virus and you cannot contract the flu from it. We missed one year when the supply was restricted (well, my kids did...I was required to get it), and they all got the flu.

Flu is a miserable illness and can kill you. In the US, an average of 5-20% of the population contracts the flu every year, and over 200,000 people are hospitalized for complications from it. If you have certain pre-existing conditions, you are at a much higher risk for complications. Check with your doctor if you have any questions about whether or not you should receive the vaccine.

We all get flu shots.

I work in pharmacy

my kids are in 3 different schools and get exposed to 3 different rounds of viruses.

Dh works with the public and flies a lot.

I, nor anyone in my family has ever had a bad reaction to any flu shot.

My 3 had RSV as babies; any respiratory infection quickly leads to wheezing. so they get the shot; actually they're finally all old enough for flu mist. ;) I'm pregnant so I'm getting the shot. DH will get the shot if they have a clinic at work. For us, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Christine

Personal anecdote, you may want to stick with the shot. I had the shot for several years, and both girls did when they were younger. When they were 2 and 4, Sylvia was finally eligible for the mist, so the three of us did it because Rebecca is terrified of needles. HUGE mistake. We got sicker than ever and haven't been that sick since. Sylvia had it the worst. I will never, ever, ever get the mist, ever again.

Won't it be required for your husband given the population he works with?

I haven't done it for years, but with the kids both getting diagnosed with asthma this year, I just had one today. I wouldn't want to be the one that gave them to flu. It's probably silly, as I have not gotten the flu from anyone BUT them for the past 2 decades.

In this country, it's usually recommended that people in the household with asthmatics get the flu shot.

Now, mind you, I don't think the flu shot works all that well. I think it's only about 75% effective, but it's a herd immunity thing.

Well, if you don't get it you'll be kicking yourself if someone comes down with flu. That was us last year--the one year we didn't get it everyone except me got influenza (swab tested positive)!

I know they recommend it to prevent spreading flu to others for health care workers and the like. I'm not, though, sure it really helps with spread though in many places it's required.

Statistically I'm not convinced flu shots help in typical years. I read a lot of the Cochrane reviews on the subject and that's what I came away with. It still stank to get the flu last year. I don't know what we'll do this year but probably, just so I don't have to hear grandparents, genetics and etc. over my decisions if we don't get the vax again and get sick, we'll get it this year.

I had the flu for the first time this year, and I'm still dealing with sinus issues because of it. I will definitely be getting it and so will both dds (but they usually get it anyway due to asthma).

Our dr. told us to wait at least another month though because it hits here later. We didn't actually get the flu this time until the end of April.

We absolutely get flu shots for all of us every year. One year my husband thought it was too much trouble to get his shot - he ended up getting the flu in February and was sick for three weeks. None of the rest of us caught it, despite being in daily contact with him.

No vaccine is 100%, of course, and I would not RECOMMEND hanging out with sick people just because you've had your shot :-)

We all get flu shots.

A friend of mine's 7-year-old son died of the flu one year when several kids died of the flu. It was horrible. They went on the news, and the father was crying about how he encouraged everyone to get their kids flu shots.

We always vaccinated prior to that; we always will.

I understand folks that don't, I guess. But, I'd rather not have the flu, and I'd rather my kids not have to get it either.

The flu s*cks. I would definitely get every one a shot- who wants to be sick for two weeks, feeling like they are dying, even if they are not?

1. You may not get the flu. I haven't ever had a flu shot, and I am quite sure I haven't had the flu in at least 17 yrs. My children and DH have never had the flu since they've been born/ we've been married.

2. The vax is only a good idea if it works. Studies don't prove that it does (the Ontario study for one -- despite a widespread vaccination campaign). If someone tells you that they got the vax and didn't get the flu, that doesn't mean the vax prevented it. Conversely, if you don't get the vax and you do get the flu, it doesn't mean the vax would have prevented it.

3. The vax has allergenic and possibly toxic ingredients. Egg for one, thimerosol (in all but some single dose vials) for another.

4. The viruses in the vax may not even be in circulation this season. The vax was cultured from 3 viruses gathered from 3 places in the world, last January. Many years the vax is already completely or mostly obsolete by the time it comes out because the viruses have long since mutated.

5. Studies have shown a link between repeated flu vaccination and Alzheimer's disease.

6. The vax, while being pushed for the immunocompromised, has never been tested on them. No one knows how someone with a fragile immune system will react to the ingredients (and of course it will vary by individual).

That's for starters.

Edited by sweetbasil

No to everyone, maybe? If you were worried about the one that has allergy-induced asthma, you could maybe vax that child only (you'll probably have to do the actual shot, not the FluMist.) If I were your dh, I would get one, but you probably can't tell him what to do. That's his call, kwim?

I don't know. Dh is 100% anti-vax and I am 90% pro-vax, so it's always kind of a battle around here. I do the other vaccinations, but we've never done flu shots.

ETA: Now if there were a shot for strep, I would be the first in line. Someone in my family gets a giant case of strep Every. Flippin'. Year.

Edited by Element

My husband is in the military and he gets the flu shot every year and every single year, he gets super sick afterwards. The experts say you absolutely can not get sick from the flu

:iagree:While my husband was in the Army, not only did he get sick after every flu shot, he was just sick all the time. We noticed a distinct difference once he got out. (This was prior to 9/11, so he never got deployed.)

My kids and I have never had a flu shot.

In your case, I would only get it for your husband, on the off chance they actually do provide some protection against the flu (I'm not convinced they do, and I'm reasonably pro-vax, depending on the vax), since he works with the elderly.

No to everyone, maybe? If you were worried about the one that has allergy-induced asthma, you could maybe vax that child only (you'll probably have to do the actual shot, not the FluMist.) If I were your dh, I would get one, but you probably can't tell him what to do. That's his call, kwim?

I don't know. Dh is 100% anti-vax and I am 90% pro-vax, so it's always kind of a battle around here. I do the other vaccinations, but we've never done flu shots.

ETA: Now if there were a shot for strep, I would be the first in line. Someone in my family gets a giant case of strep Every. Flippin'. Year.

Yeah, Astro will be thrilled to get a shot... ;) Jk... but yeah, they told us last time that he couldn't get the FluMist. Oh, well.

And I'm now picturing myself trying to physically drag DH and force him to get a shot... it's a funny mental picture. :D :lol: I do wish that they offered it at work (because it just makes sense to me!) but last year they didn't. I'll have to check with him to see if they are planning on it this year. Obviously I can't make the decision for him, but he probably won't even think about it if I don't bring it up. :D

Why are you asking? No one can make that decision except you and your dh.

Clearly. :D

Anyway, just curious. Trying to weigh it in my mind whether it's worth it or not. :)

To those who know ppl who have died or gotten severely sick from the flu --

- Do you know what strain of flu the person had?

- Do you know what strains were available in the vaccine that year?

- Were they the same?

In other words, I would not assume that the vaccine would have protected those individuals.

To be perfectly honest, I think the vax provides a false sense of security.

We're pro vax, but not for the flu shot. I'm not convinced they are worth it.

I have severe asthma and have never gotten the flu shot, but have also never gotten the flu. My kids have never gotten the flu vax and have also never gotten the flu.

My dh, another military guy, is required to get it and like another poster mentioned he always gets sick right after and has also gotten the flu as well. I hate when he gets it, for at least a week after it's totally ManCold season here.

I voted no, but I'm anti-flu vax anyway. The vax isn't for all the strains that float around out there, and there has been some speculation that the vax itself can worsen symptoms if you DO get the flu. I know from personal experience that the only time I have EVER had it, was the year I got talked into a vax. :glare:

I wouldn't touch the flu shot with a 10 foot pole.

The best thing for you to do would be to research the side effects vs. the benefits.

I disagree.

Benefits are huge for certain conditions, and it sounds like asthma is one of them. For my dd, fevers can bring on seizures that we can't stop with valium. It's then a trip to the ER for higher doses, other meds, and possibly admission to the hospital. This happened when she was 2. We have all had flu shots every year since then. No side effects. No flu.

Flu is a very serious illness, especially for the elderly and medically compromised, and if the husband works with medically fragile people, he should absolutely get a flu shot so he doesn't make them sick. If the asthmatic son's doctor says he should get a flu shot, then he should get one too. Having everyone get the shot further protects the son.

You cannot get the flu from the shot because it is a dead virus (flu-mist nasal spray is a live virus). However, the military frequently gives many immunizations at once. Some of *those* cause flu-like side effects. It is also always possible that they had already caught the flu and were not showing symptoms before.

We are pro-vax and all my kids have had every recommended vaccination except Guardasil for my oldest and flu shots for the past few years. The kids go for the yearly physicals in October every year so we wouldn't have to make a special trip (except isn't it 2 doses?).

Part of our decision was because there always seems to be a shortage and since my kids have no health issues at all, we aren't on the list of who really needs it.

Part of our decision was because my kids NEVER get sick with more than a mild cold so I'm not overly concerned.

Part of our decision is that I'm not sure how much it would help due to the different strains of flu/mutations.

For the OP - I definitely have your husband get it. I'd be surprised if his employer doesn't require it (I worked in a nursing home for a while and had to get one every year). The kids would depend on how bad your childs asthma is. I have allergy induced asthma that isn't bad as long as I keep my allergies under control. I haven't had a flu shot in at least 10 years.

It's literally a shot in the dark each year anyway, rarely providing any protection for what is actually going around at the time because of the mutations from year to year.

:iagree:

We've always opted out of flu shots because of the above reason- my understanding is that its a 'best guess' for this coming year. No thanks :)

Whoops. I answered the poll based on my own family and not yours.

I answered that for mine, none of us would get the flu shot. I've never had the flu in my life. The kids have never had the flu, and if dh has it was over 20 years ago before we were married. None of us are in a high risk category.

That's not to say we won't get it, but some people seem to be flu magnets, and we're not. I'm figuring that if we get it, we're strong enough to suffer through and recover.

But, if your son has asthma issue and your dh works with people who would be at high risk if they contracted it, then those two at least should get the shot.

:iagree: We've never done flu shots, we don't get the flu, and I don't intend to ever get flu shots.