Menu

I despise legos. Am I ruining my child?

Open call for abuse. :D

I hate legos.

I hate everything about Legos. I hate their plastic guts. I hate their color. I hate (despise really) their sharp little corners that will gouge into my feet.

I made the mistake and called off the Crayola ban in this house after several years... And promptly washed one in a load of laundry. Ban back on. :glare:

However, I suspect I have a little seven year old boy who would get hours upon hours of JOY from Legos. Sigh.

Someone tell me their kid hates Legos with a passion and my son is missing out on absolutely nothing at all.

I hate legos.

I hate everything about Legos. I hate their plastic guts. I hate their color. I hate (despise really) their sharp little corners that will gouge into my feet.

I made the mistake and called off the Crayola ban in this house after several years... And promptly washed one in a load of laundry. Ban back on. :glare:

However, I suspect I have a little seven year old boy who would get hours upon hours of JOY from Legos. Sigh.

Someone tell me their kid hates Legos with a passion and my son is missing out on absolutely nothing at all.

Yes, you are ruining your child.;):tongue_smilie:

My ds9 LOVES them, but I despise them myself when I step on one he left on the floor. OUCH!!!

I hate Legos with the heat of a thousand suns. There are days where I swear if I hear one more word about them I will rip all my clothes off and run down the street screaming.

Sadly (for me), Indy LOVES Legos. He spends hours and hours playing with them and building things. When we studied WWI he built an entire trench system with them. It was cool, but I still don't like them. I resent that they are so expensive.

Legos are not allowed out of his room, but I've stepped on more than one while creeping in his room at night to check on him. Yes, I still check on him before I go to bed. I don't see them very often, but just knowing that they're in Indy's room makes my eyes twitch. And I will probably get to go through this all over again when Han Solo gets to the Lego age.

Years ago, another mother asked me what sort of things my DDs enjoyed playing with as she needed some gift ideas for her own children. Everything I mentioned she would reply either "too messy" or "too many parts." I felt so BAD for her kids. Fun is messy and fun has lots of parts. It's fine to restrict the time/place for messy toys but to deny them completely is :confused:

My boys have a HUGE drawer that pulls out from their bed so that they can wheel it wherever they want. It keeps them from spreading the Lego all over the floor. They all started with kits and over the years have started to think up their own creative ideas.

Slippers help tremendously.

And on the plus side, they can go through the laundry without damaging anything. ;)

We use the IKEA Trofast system for ours, it's easy to clean them up by putting them in the bins.

DS8 has SO much energy and borders on ADHD, but he can sit and focus long enough to build a Lego set ;) He's always creating cool "inventions" and contraptions and telling us ALLLLLLLL about them.

The boys at co-op all talk about Legos and bring some to show and share. He watches Lego Ninjago on TV. And both of our malls have a Lego store, so we HAVE to go in it EVERY. TIME. we are at the Mall.

If I need some quiet time, I can tell DS, "Mommy needs quiet time, please go build something with Legos in your room." He'll stay up there for 1-2 hours, being quiet, it's awesome :)

We just went to the Lego Convention, soooo, we love Legos around here :) They require creativity and imagination, are sturdy and well made, and don't make annoying noises. I can't imagine banning such a cool toy.

I've never had much of problem with the Lego mess myself but that is likely only due to rules. All tiny Legos (non Duplos) stay in older brother's room and can only be played with there. They get picked up after being played with and live in an underbed storage bin. Only kiddos age 4 and up are allowed in there to play either alone or tongether with Legos. If they can't remember to clean up, then the next time they ask to play with them the answer is no. It sounds pretty militant but it's worked so far!:lol:

Our motto is, "Every lego has a home. They may not roam while out alone. They need a friend to play with them. When finished they go home again".

Okay ...that's not really my motto, lol. I just made it up. But it sounds nicer than, "If I step on one more lego I'm throwing them all in the trash!"

Susan

I have looser constraints on the bigger-sized mega/duplo blocks (much easier to avoid stepping on and less of a choke hazard)... could you allow those for starters?

Duplos should be called Groom-plos. All they do is soften you up for the real thing. And no, your feet never really get used to the insult.

Our motto is, "Every lego has a home. They may not roam while out alone. They need a friend to play with them. When finished they go home again".

Okay ...that's not really my motto, lol. I just made it up. But it sounds nicer than, "If I step on one more lego I'm throwing them all in the trash!"

Susan

:lol::lol::lol:

We have tons of Legos, and I hate it, and it doesn't actually get used as much as it should. DS8 is always asking for another set, then it hangs around until DS13 makes it for him, then it falls apart and there are bits everywhere. I've lost count of how many times I've said I won't buy any more.

The thing I hate most is when I'm cooking supper and I suddenly hear the sound of hundreds of pieces tipping out from a box all over the sitting room floor, that's when I get the eye twitch. At least now they're older and I'm stroppier I can get them to tidy it up.

From what goes on in our house of 4 boys and lots of Legos I'd say your DS really isn't missing much. We've had more success with K'Nex.

Maybe keep them is a secluded part of the house so you don't have to see them. And stick to your guns about them staying there. That way you don't find them underfoot or accidentally break a treasure when you move it.:glare:

:iagree:

My son is lego crazy, and has been for years. The wonderful things stay in his room. He has several different bins to hold them, and he's only allowed to build in his room. It's a very peaceful compromise.

I think they are a great toy but I don't love having any toys with lots of pieces around my house. We have duplos and the rule is that the playroom has to be clean before they can play with them and then they have to be put back in their box when they're done. It works so far. (This is also the rule for blocks, lincoln logs, and the train set)

My mom had a rule that if she stepped on a lego, it went in the trash. That seemed to work pretty well for my brothers. :)

My mom hated Lego and we never had any growing up. Not a one. I had a brother and two sisters and we all grew up and are fine. We found things to play with. Not having Legos will not ruin them.

My husband and his brother had tons of Legos and my husband still has his sets all organized with their instruction manuals. He gets them out and plays with our kids. Each of my kids has their own tackle box with Legos. They play for hours day after day. If we find Legos downstairs they lose them for a week or so.

I have never stepped on a Lego. I go barefoot all over our carpet.

The wrath of Thor will own them if they dump out Legos in the sitting room. They know this and we are all happy with it.

My ds9 LOVES them, but I despise them myself when I step on one he left on the floor. OUCH!!!

I like Legos.

Mind you I spent a part of the day making lego figurines for a board game we own. It only game with little cardboard pieces for 6 characters. To buy the fancy plastic ones cost 10 dollars each. So we made those figures out of Lego. :)

I do admit my boys don't play with them often. We are to much into board games. But I wouldn't want to be a lego free household.

When my Mom asked if we wanted anything special (Writing her will). She thought we might talk about the family china, her jewelry collection, ... My brother and I both laid claim to our old Lego collection. We even started a physical play fight over who would get them.

Yes, my Mom is still waiting for us to grow up.

Mine didn't play with them. I think they are more popular now than they were 15-20 years ago. Any part-to-whole toy is a good one, imo. I think they are good for the brain.

One ds did play with Connex (spelling?) but only made a giant rollercoaster with his dad, no free play.

I prefer regular blocks made of wood--more natural materials, less plastic.

But I understand the love.

I hate legos.

pssst......

I banned them at my house.

I think with 9 children you have earned the right to hate any toy you wish! :D I suck up with a vaccuum lots of LEGO and it still keeps multipying! I loved LEGO as a child and my dc love it now. As much as I dislike stepping on the nasty bits, I know that they are probably one of the best toys out there.

I also have those cool wooden planks and different varieties of wooden blocks, as well as wooden marble runs. As tempting as these are, the dc simply prefer making smaller things they can carry around and play with. So I'm stuck with LEGO for a few more years.

I had a science teacher who asserted there was a strong correlation between understanding atomic structure & playing with lego.

Several years ago I read an article asserting that Lego contributed to the rise of computer programming. And I will say that I know many computer developers with Lego bricks on their desk, even in their 30s and 40s.

I think Lego bricks are one of the best toys out there. I would say my kids are moderately into them.

I had a science teacher who asserted there was a strong correlation between understanding atomic structure & playing with lego.

That's funny. I'm teaching a co-op class and just today likened Legos to "elements"' using the same elements in different combinations make different things. It was an illustration they seemed to understand.

My oldest son hated them but he was unusual, read at age 3 and ask for books for every occasion the kids never played with a toy past age 7.

But my Lego man is now 15 and guess what right now he has half his room covered in Lego color coordinated piles and building some creation.

He wants to build, design and stuff in his future. He also wants a $300 dollar set for Christmas.:D He was talking about civil engineering, architecture, computer science well you get the drift. Its just in his DNA. He said his best job would be a designer for Lego.

So they are a great toy for some kids

My girls LOVE them. They have saved up several hundreds of dollars in birthday and chore money to purchase sets that they put together and keep together. Sometimes we glue the themed sets since those pieces are expensive to replace. I have stepped on my fair share of Lego but honestly they provide hours of great imaginative play in our house and I couldn't imagine not having them. Then again we are not sticklers about messy projects. My rule is just that they clean up what ever they take out. We love Lego, Play-doh, cutting and gluing, Crayons, and all those sorts of things.

My girls loved them when they were younger. Some of our favorite memories were of them playing/building and me reading the Chronicles of Narnia series. I can't even imagine how many sets they bought w/their allowances.I swear they're both math/science oriented because of the hours spent w/legos. Set aside one area for them to keep them from underfoot.

Huh. Maybe that explains my Lego-loving physicist-wanna-be.

I have no issues with Legos. My kids know that if they leave pieces lying around, I will NOT open up the vaccuum bag to try to retrieve Legos. They're paranoid about losing one eensy weensy piece. Plus the pieces might break if I step on them. So they keep all the bits tidied away when they're not actively building.

Two words: Cafeteria Trays. Really. They are life savers! I pick up old ones at thrift stores. Projects stay on them and off the floor. Also, I have 2- 5 gallon buckets with round organizers that fit in them. All shapes are divided (I know, I know, just a touch OCD). The reason this is important is that it avoids the "dump them all out to find that one piece I need" syndrome. Little, bitty pieces are in small organizers used for beads or fishing lures.

Another idea is to lay out a sheet first. Legos go on the sheet then are easy to pick up later. Just pick the sheet up by the corners, fold and dump back into a bin.

I can't remember the last time I stepped on a lego. And we have 10 gallons + worth.

:iagree:Yep, he'll be ruined without them.

They are a great toy. One trick to minimize lego foot pain ... Legos must be played with on an old bed sheet. When clean up time comes, fold corners of the sheet in and dump into container.

Best advice ever, saved my sanity. :)

I only have girls, but they've never enjoyed Legos. I bought them a bulk set a few years ago and they only played with it a time or two. I got rid of them at our last yard sale.

I'm not afraid of messes. You should see my driveway right now. They wanted to make paint so they shaved the sidewalk chalk into a bowl of water and covered the driveway. They also smashed a bunch of rock to see which shattered and which crumbled. :001_huh:

Legos are one of the few toys that I am actually okay with re: the plastic and eighty bajillion pieces. Because the children all love them. And because they spend hours and hours and hours creating things with them. And because they last forever. My children are playing with recently-made Legos as well as my husband's 30-year-old Legos, and they're all compatible and still in great shape.

We aim to keep the Legos in the playroom, and the baby does not have free access to that room. (We do have a schoolroom where we keep his toys, and he's allowed to roam around in there.) I do find Legos all over the house, though, but just a few here and there. I aim to have them all cleaned up every day, but if I don't, at least they're generally out of the main flow of traffic. Also, putting a blanket under them makes cleanup easier.

Someone, obviously a genius, linked this:

Incredible Lego Keeping Contraption

And then someone linked a tutorial for SEWING one.

But at the end of the day... Ugh. I would still own LEGOS. :(

I promise I am a lot of things, but my kids play. And they play HARD and often with hard or pokey things.... But Legos... That might be my undoing. I was really just coming for empathy and that ((hugs)) thing and maybe an occasional, "Yeah, legos stink. Total pain and kids actually hate them."

Not so much, eh? :glare:

So do they play with them a lot past age seven? Because Christmas is coming up and it's an idea. CJ NEVER played with Legos (and we actually had them when he was little.) Just got them out for me to step on. The girls? No interest. So Tim, as the only boy, is probably my one kid who will get any use out of them. His idea of a good time is an audio book and Lincoln Logs. I'll bet he'd love them. Sigh.

I don't like Legos because my poor feet always seem to find the ones left behind, but I can't say that I hate them. Dh started buying them early for dds, and the three of them could build for hours (sometimes they do). I find myself smiling often on the weekends when I can hear the three of them discussing what to build next. They've done some rather awesome things with them, so we keep buying. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I am ruining my children right along with you, if you are. ;)

We HAD a Lego set about 2 years ago. They DID NOT "create" anything with them (except a mess) so I tossed or donated them - can't remember which. Seriously, they'd dump them out, play with them for approximately 3 minutes, then walk away. I kept them around for a year or more, hoping for that wonderful "Lego are the best creative/open-ended/imaginative/educational toys ever" to take hold. Didn't happen.

DS really wants a Batman 2 Lego set. I haven't decided if that will make it under the tree, or not. I'm still leaning toward not because when it comes right down to it - neither of my kids have ever really played with toys. Ever. They've had Lincoln Logs, Duplos, Legos - HAD. We do not own any of them anymore.

They do arts and crafts, they create, draw, and cut up and build things with cardboard boxes, card stock and paper with packing tape all.the.time. They have toy swords, but they'd rather use the tree branches they've found outside and dragged in to the house as swords/guns/walking sticks/nunchucks or whatever else they need them to be at the time. Etc. Etc. If were up to me, we'd get rid of all the toys because they just do not use them.

So do they play with them a lot past age seven? Because Christmas is coming up and it's an idea. CJ NEVER played with Legos (and we actually had them when he was little.) Just got them out for me to step on. The girls? No interest. So Tim, as the only boy, is probably my one kid who will get any use out of them. His idea of a good time is an audio book and Lincoln Logs. I'll bet he'd love them. Sigh.

DD, age 10, plays with them a lot. Not quite as much as DS7, but she does play with them quite a bit. DS7 still shows a ton of interest in them. He likes the complicated truck sets, but he also reuses the pieces in his own contraptions.

Major Lego lover here--I would have been very sad if Legos were banned from my childhood. They are such a great creative outlet! I loved my small childhood collection of Legos (1 basic bucket & 1 fire engine kit). I wanted more of them, but I had such wide and varied interests that my parents did not want to invest in them. Instead, I got paid to play with Legos for hours on end when I babysat boys with awesome collections! :D One family with 3 homeschooled boys had a particularly great set up.

I now have an insane number of them considering the fact that my son is not quite 3. He actually does play with the small ones already in addition to his Duplo bricks. I pull them out to play with by myself after he's in bed sometimes too.

I saw this on Facebook lately and I'm going to cross stitch this phrase to hang in my home!

Rottenecards_2048171_th2y63gsfy.png

Edited by AndyJoy

I don't hate lego but I certainly don't love it. But all my kids love it. When my bigs had their sleep over last weekend all 4 of my kids and the friend spent the entire 2 days he was here building lego together. In the end they built a huge house with removable lid, stable, 3 cars, a space ship, and a cabin for the little men to camp at. I am still cleaning up lego since then and keep flip flops on in the house to save my feet. But really to have 5 kids (3 of which have ADHD and other issues and 1 of which is 4) all sit and spend a grand total of about 13 hours playing lego is well worth any ouchies on my foot.