Menu

OK, I think my brain is broken

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about writing about the competitive culture in education?

Some things I think about: Why are all of these kids taking AP classes & exams? Are they really smart enough to complete college level work at 16-17 years old? Is this a wise thing to do?

What happened to encouraging teenagers to work? Why all this focus on sports and taking AP classes?

The pros and cons of "packaging" a student for college. Seriously? This goes along with the competitiveness.

I especially like this:

My big Point to Ponder of late has been how to (or whether to) integrate modern technology into academic education and standards. For example, is it right to insist that dd use proper spelling and punctuation in her Facebook posts, even though none of the others in her circle of friends abide by such rules. Common convention vs academic standard.

Another example buzzing about in my poor, empty head, what are the ramifications of relying on technology to look up every minute detail instead of actually memorizing the material? Does it make my life any better because I have memorized a list of Egyptian pharaonic periods and English monarchs? If my dd wishes to know any of this, she can Google it. How much detail does a person now need to know?

And finally, has the prevalence of communications technology actually damaged our ability to communicate clearly and deeply on a subject? Dh works at a university and says where he used to see students milling about after classes, giving their jaws a work out, now no one says much but their thumbs are a blur, sending messages such as, "Wre r u, w8 4 me".

I like all of these ideas, too:

How to keep focused on teaching the child you've got instead of the elusive, perfect child in your head.

How to or why we should focus more on how we use a curriculum/program and not be so driven by the program itself

How about how home schooling does not mean that your kids will be advanced?

There are times when I feel like carrying a sign that says, "Hi, I home school. My kids are average and that's okay."

Your perspective on the unique opporunities and challenges of each developmental stage and how they relate to a classical approach.

How about how an imagination is too wonderful to waste, a use it or lose it post. Most people think of imagination being for the kids, but it benefits adults too, look how much fun we have here when we use our imaginations.

Books you have recently read for pleasure or otherwise.

Thoughts on having kids in college, what you did right and not right, particularly as to non-academic preparation.

Yes! this.....and the gifted kid who doesn't want to work.

How about advice from your college kids? My ds always has advice on how to educate his sisters. Some of it is very good, and all of it is very interesting. He has a great perspective.

Educational games you have loved.

1. I would love a tour of your personal library and favorite books.

--Foreign language. So many seem to think that a computer program will get their kid speaking and understanding fluently. There is so much more to learning a language. A good language study should include conversation with real people, reading, watching TV or movies, etc.

--Travel in the home school

We could submit jokes made up by our kids. Only classically homeschooled kids get them.

When my 16 year old was 5 or 6, she made up this joke, "what is an ancient Briton's favorite instrument? A SAXONphone!"

Love it! Shared it with my history-loving son.

LOVE the "Gifted Kids Who Don't Want to Work" idea. I even have a title: "The Lazy Genius: What to do when your gifted kid would rather just play Minecraft all day."

I literally need to start a thread on another board to discuss this. Not kidding. :glare:

LOVE the "Gifted Kids Who Don't Want to Work" idea. I even have a title: "The Lazy Genius: What to do when your gifted kid would rather just play Minecraft all day."

Or it could be titled, "When your child can make millions in imaginary gold pieces by gaming the economy in the game, but cries over multiplication."

Some things I think about: Why are all of these kids taking AP classes & exams? Are they really smart enough to complete college level work at 16-17 years old? Is this a wise thing to do?

What I wonder (not having gone to a school with AP classes available) is, are AP classes really college level, or are they what normal high school classes used to be?

The definition of an unsocialized child, not homeschool kid vs. ps kids.

I hear from my folks how wonderful my kids but in the same breathe they worry they're not getting enough socialization.

Then recently one of the moms here posted something about a heirarchy of socialization. I "saw" the gaps--for my kids and myself--in the area of social technology and leading social situations. I put a mental bookmark to go back and dig some more.

Socialization is a loaded word, please unpack it for us a bit. :D

:grouphug:

White boards!

I love my white boards, I have small ones for at home and a larger one for co-op classes. They are especially useful for young students who don't like to write on paper. Even my older remedial students like to pick a color and work from the white board.

Someone here recently posted about how it helped for algebra.

I am finding it especially useful for the first few weeks back of school to write out quick points and lessons of things that have been forgotten over summer. (We did some school over summer but still have a bit of review and refreshing to deal with.)

I suggest a shower, a sandwich, and sleep! :D

And another one, based on current experience:

Being involved in local politics or exposing your child to the political/legislative process

I have been trying to interest some local homeschoolers in local politics, but many of them perceive this as either asking them to campaign for a particular candidate and/or they do not see the educational value at all.

In reality, the types of things I have tried to arrange are non-campaign related, and are for the purpose of understanding the jobs of the local elected officials and understanding how to access those local officials for issues that are important to you (the constituent).

I don't know how common this is; but I'll throw it out there anyway.

The biggest struggle in our house is authentic assessment of progress.

I guess I see it in the forums sometimes under the umbrella of "mommy grades" most closely.

I hunt now and then for guidance on it, there is a huge array of thought on it.

:iagree:

How to keep focused on teaching the child you've got instead of the elusive, perfect child in your head. Also, the sister issue, working with the curriculum you paid for vs lamenting the perfect curriculum you just know is over the next hill or in the next google search.

OOOOHHHHH!! I like this one!:D

Or....how about retirement planning?:auto:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry. It's that time of year in the lifecycle of the American culture in which "pass the bean dip" just isn't good enough.

I vote for chocolate, rum cake, cupcakes, a margarita, and NOT being involved in homeschool groups this year! :001_smile:

Faith

:iagree: especially about margaritas and cupcakes....and nOT being involved in homeschool groups....except this one:D

Help me out, guys.

I have run dry on blog posts. Seriously. I have written so much in so short a time recently that I think I've worked a cog loose in my brain. And now it's knocking around up there short-circuiting my idea-generator.

What should I blog about next???

SWB

I think you should blog about burnout and dead brain cells. It's nice to know that we aren't alone in those moments, and that no one is immune. :D

Homeschooling the Irrational, Temporarily Insane, and Angry For No Apparent Reason Teen.

(Or did you do that one already? :tongue_smilie:)

Actually, maybe stick to something lighter. I wouldn't want you to make the brain situation worse. :tongue_smilie:

Help me out, guys.

I have run dry on blog posts. Seriously. I have written so much in so short a time recently that I think I've worked a cog loose in my brain. And now it's knocking around up there short-circuiting my idea-generator.

What should I blog about next???

SWB

Grab a Mike's and skip the blogging for now. Then do some mindfulness meditation to fix your cog.

Then blog about that. :)

Man, you guys are good. I knew you'd help out.

Making a list now...

SWB

Ideas for making science a spine instead of history, at least in the younger years (there are quite a few of us on the K-8 board). I could use more ideas.

How to help late readers.

Resources or ideas on helping the parent stay ahead of the child.

Resources for really learning math for the math-phobic parent.

Take a real essay written by a teen and grade it, giving reasons for each notation you make.

What I wonder (not having gone to a school with AP classes available) is, are AP classes really college level, or are they what normal high school classes used to be?

Yes, this! Another way of looking at it would be to wonder if the average college class has been degraded so much that a high school student can pass it? I don't get that impression elsewhere, but it makes me wonder.

How about writing about the competitive culture in education?

What happened to encouraging teenagers to work? Why all this focus on sports and taking AP classes?

The pros and cons of "packaging" a student for college. Seriously? This goes along with the competitiveness.:

:iagree: This is interesting.

I don't recall which lecture it was, but I found your insights on elitism (in regards to accelerated education) thought provoking. What are we all really after here?

And they are very blessed they do I might add. Imagine how dreary winter would be without me to lighten things up.

If my camera was working properly, I'd suggest we all send in vids of our kids imitating machine gun kitty. My dd looks too cute when she does it.

Rosie

when the education loving parent is trying to teach the child who doesn't like education. My 12 yr old recently asked which jobs he could do for a living if I would let him skip high school.
My 11 yo told me the other day she doesn't want to do high school and she's definitely not going to college, and all she wants to do with her life is be just like me, because 'I don't do anything' :001_huh: :banghead: :cursing: :huh:

My favorite ideas are:

Ideas for making science a spine instead of history, at least in the younger years

I've always wanted to hear about how you met your husband, and what it's like for you as a pastor's wife.

I want to hear about how you motivate yourself, and maintain self discipline. How you get goals and GET STUFF DONE.

Classical homeschooling with visual-spatial/ADD children.

I would love to read a follow-up post by your oldest son regarding his gap year experiences. Now that he's been through a year or two of college, what does he perceive to be the impact of that gap year on his college education?

Resources for really learning math for the math-phobic parent.

Take a real essay written by a teen and grade it, giving reasons for each notation you make.

I didn't read through the 15 pages so this may have been mentioned already.

How much teaching vs. facilitating is really needed with an older student, or which subjects should I make it a priority to work with her on.

I'm pulled by 5 dc (3 of which need me at the elbow for most of their work) and because my oldest works well on her own I often feel a disconnect from what she is learning. I try to devote my available time to writing and literature for her, but I often worry that, although she is learning the material in the other subjects, there is no discussion, no tossing of ideas back and forth, no questions from me that cause her to dig deeper.

Thanks.:D

I like the 'dealing with your gifted child who just wants to play minecraft all day' idea. Ds was recently introduced to it, and now it and tekkit are all he talks about. :glare:

Also, how to deal with asynchronicity. And dealing with a globally academically gifted child with zero 'common sense' about every day things. And how to/the importance of keeping in mind that just because your child is gifted doesn't mean he knows how to do things without being shown at least once, aka he may be working on a middle school level in most subjects, but he's still 8 and needs to be taught how to sweep properly.