Menu

Poll: What Should I Order at Chinese?

Would you eat these?  

1. 1. Would you eat these?

• Beef with broccoli
    • Mongolian beef (spicy - about 3 stars)
    • Cashew chicken
    • Happy Family (explanation is in the post)
    • Fried Rice
    • Other must have item - please tell me what it is

My sister says that my brother and family like Chinese food as long as I don't order anything too weird. Are these weird? Are there any favorites that you would add? Any you would say "no way" to? Or is there enough variety that people probably would find something they like?

Beef with broccoli

Mongolian beef (spicy) - my ds's favorite

Cashew chicken (my sister says that this is gross but it seemed fairly standard to me?) - my dd's favorite

Happy Family (a combination of beef, chicken, scallops, shrimp, bbq beef, broccoli, carrots, oyster mushrooms, snow peas, fresh mushrooms and baby corn in sauce) - too authentic or varied enough that it really would result in a happy family?

I don't usually order fried rice but I was thinking of adding that too since I figured at the very least someone could make a meal of that.

I can order online (yay!) and then just go and pick it up later.

Sounds good. Another option is General Tso's or Sweet and Sour chicken.

Nothing you listed sounds weird to me.

What time is dinner? :drool:

These are DH's favorites.

I am not much of a Chinese eater, but I love terryaki chicken, bourbon chicken, and fried rice. I like beef and broccoli too.

I have never liked any of the beef dishes at any of the Chinese restaurants that we've gone to over the years. It's the texture of the beef and not the flavor of the dish that I don't like. I don't like cashews so I wouldn't eat the cashew chicken as it tastes like cashews. I like Szechuan chicken & Hunan chicken. Kung Po is popular, I don't like it because of the celery. I don't like the Happy Family because it's too many strong flavors all together that to me tastes really bad. Noodles & steamed pot stickers are what my youngest two are guaranteed to eat.

You just made me want Chinese for dinner!!! These all sound delicious! Have a wonderful meal.

Our family's other favourites include:

Won ton soup

Sweet and sour soup

Sweet and sour chicken balls (deep fried)

Lemon chicken

Cantonese chow mein (comes with soft noodles, not the crunchy ones)

Great. Now I want Chinese food. :lol:

ETA: Several people mentioned crab rangoon. I think that's a regional thing. First time I got them, I thought they were the weirdest thing ever! :lol: I still don't like them much, so personal tastes and all.

I wish there were a good Chinese place around here that DELIVERS! The only one that does went through a management/ownership change a few years back, and it just isn't as good anymore. :/

Edited by Mama_Rana

General Tso's Chicken is my absolute fave. I'll give it about "2 stars" for heat and that comes with a little "sweet" flavor to it as well. ;) It's essentially fried chicken nuggets in a wonderful red chili sauce. Some places include broccoli with it. Depending on the order, it may come with fried rice or white rice. You should tell them exactly what you want.

My second fave and close runner-up is Steamed Shrimp and Snow Peas (or mixed vegetables) w/black bean sauce. Very few places outside of the NY/NJ metro area can make the black bean sauce right. However, if you're feeling adventurous, make sure you order it with the sauce "on the side" -- that way you can put as much or as little as you want.

DD and I order Chinese whenever Dh and the little guys go to visit MIL.

Our usual order could include:

Wonton/Egg Drop mixed soup

Steamed Dumplings

Egg Rolls

Chicken with Broccoli

Mu Shu Shrimp (my favorite)

General Tso's Chicken

Fried Rice - usually Chicken or Shrimp

Lo Mein - usually Chicken or Shrimp

None of what you listed seems weird to me, pretty standard on Chinese menus around here.

None of what you listed seems weird to me, pretty standard on Chinese menus around here.

I read all this to my dh, who's Chinese, and he said, "Yeah, it's not weird to a bunch of Americans, but for goodness sakes, it's not contemporary Chinese food. So to me it is weird."

We call American Chinese menus the 1906 Peasant Menu. :tongue_smilie:

I read all this to my dh, who's Chinese, and he said, "Yeah, it's not weird to a bunch of Americans, but for goodness sakes, it's not contemporary Chinese food. So to me it is weird."

Well, our favorites, besides the Happy Family are Sea Bass with Black Bean sauce (I thought that might be considered weird plus it is really expensive if it isn't going to be properly appreciated), and Sechuan Spicy Eggplant that comes bubbling hot in it's own hot pot. Mmmmm! We actually have to ask for these dishes because they aren't on the English menu.

Well, I decided to go with the dishes on my poll because enough people voted that they would eat most of them even if Happy Family wasn't appreciated that much. I added the fried rice and egg rolls. I'll make steamed rice at home because I am a rice snob and the rice they make there doesn't compare to my Japanese rice! I love the sweet and sours and the General Tsa's etc. but they would kill my dh and me with their sugar content. Dh calls them candied meat.

Ha! My dh is American born Chinese. The thing he thinks is weirdest is having fried rice be something people order at a restaurant. To him that is the thing you make at the end of the week with your leftover rice and whatever other ingredients you have on hand.

His rule for ordering for people in general is one beef or pork, one chicken, one veggie, one seafood. I think to him “Chinese†food in a restaurant is good but is just really a different cuisine than true Chinese food. But that’s probably true of many so called ethnic foods in another culture.

Yeah, Dh travels to China quite a bit on business and he loves to point out to us that what we see here is not really CHINESE food.

Yeah, Dh travels to China quite a bit on business and he loves to point out to us that what we see here is not really CHINESE food.

We go to a place owned by Chinese people born in China. Some of it is 'real', but some of it is what people other than the Chinese think of as Chinese food. :) I think a lot of American draw the line at chick embryos and such. lol

Now, I have had amazing Chinese food in Boston, NYC, and San Francisco. If you want Korean-Chinese fusion, there is K-town in Manhattan filled with wonderful food. That's a place that makes me very happy. 'Real' Chinese food does have lots of animal 'parts'. One of my favorite places to shop is a Chinese market in NY. The meat counter is quite interesting, and the greens variety makes me giddy.

Edited by LibraryLover

Get some sweet and sour chicken, and some lo mein. The sweet and sour chicken has the sauce on the side usually, so any picky kids can just eat the fried chicken bites.

:iagree: One chicken, one beef, plus rice gives lots of choices.

Where's the button for "Guests should be polite and grateful to be fed"? ;)

Oh how I miss Chinese take-out!! I used to be addicted to it before having to become gluten-free.

One of my all-time favorites is chicken and broccoli, but cashew chicken is a close second. Also, sesame chicken is delicious. My kids love sweet and sour chicken too.