Menu

Do you like homeschooling?

Do you like homeschooling?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like homeschooling?

• I generally like both the teaching and lifestyle aspect of homeschooling
    • I generally don't like either the teaching and lifestyle aspect of homeschooling
    • I generally like the teaching aspect but not the lifestyle aspect
    • I generally don't like the teaching aspect but do like the lifestyle aspect
    • OTHER

Poll to follow.

I was talking with another homeschool mom and admitted that... I don't really like homeschooling. But, really it's just the teaching I don't like (big reason why I'm looking for curricula that puts me in the role of facilitator and encourager, but not teacher). I love what homeschooling offers my kids emotionally, socially and academically. I do wish for more time alone for my own pursuits and mental space.... or heck, just to be able to clean the house without interruption. But, despite my mixed feelings about homeschooling for myself, I don't see another good option for my kids, so I'm kind of stuck here, you know?

Anyway, poll's coming. I'm very interested in what y'all have to say.

ETA: By "lifestyle" I mean anything not related to you directly teaching your child - so socialization, flexible schedules, sleeping in :), basically all the "perks" of homeschooling fall under "lifestyle." Make sense? Of course, I guess, being with your kids all.the.time. is another perk or not (depending on your need for alone time).

ETA2: Option 2 should read: "I generally don't like either the teaching or lifestyle aspect of homeschooling"

Edited by shinyhappypeople

I've been homeschooling for over 12 years. I've always loved it! We're quite relaxed in our schooling and have very productive periods followed by not so productive periods. I think the ebb and flow like that is part of what's kept me going. When I get tired of it or need a break because of a crisis or something, we take a break. Having older kids and seeing how they learned IN SPITE of me has helped me be not so demanding of my littler kids.

I voted that I like both. But like you I'm trying a few modifications this year (looking at MPs grade packages). 1 - I'm tired of being crowd control, so I'm moving to separate kids and act as a tutor one-on-one, with the others playing or working alone. 2 - So I can have some more time back. I stress over planning - even though I like planning. I want to outsource the planning and use that time to write or to work on my own self-ed.

So I don't think you need to :auto: away - sounds like you are finding your style.

I like it more as my kids grow in independence and ability. The more they get interested in things and are excited and motivated to learn, the more fun it is. I love setting my own schedule and goals for my kids and seeing those goals met. I love taking days and weeks off when we want.

I think I'm realizing it more now that I have one in PS. It chafes at me to have to be home every day at 3:30, do homework that someone else has assigned *every single night*, and it's kind of a bummer that he's a member of a community that I can't be part of. I help in his class every other week, but I do have my own kids to teach. :)

On the other hand, he was a terror to homeschool. When I had him at home, teaching was a much more frustrating experience. So I know it's not easy in all situations.

I love it all. I can't imagine doing it (life) any other way. I was tutoring in 4th grade, grading math tests and homework in 8th grade (even taught a couple prealgebra classes), and helping classmates with Spanish and their term papers in high school. I was in JROTC and was once expected to teach the Uniform Code of Military Justice to all periods of JROTC, complete with creating my own transparencies, writing a test, administering the test, and grading the test. Yes, I had to get excused from my other classes, and everyone's grades on my test counted against their grade in the class. Friends and classmates used to tell me I should be a teacher. And look what I'm doing now.

My biggest regret with homeschooling so far is that I don't have time to teach/learn all of the subjects each of my kids are doing.

Oh, geez, seriously? I'm the only one?? Uh-oh... :auto:

:tongue_smilie:

Don't worry - I'll come in and admit it. I don't like homeschooling much - I do like the lifestyle :001_smile:

I thought I would like it more but I have a reluctant student.

We are on winter break right now and today we were outside weeding the garden. DD took some of my brush cuttings and planted them and asked if they would grow. I told her I didn't know but she could leave it planted and watch it as an experiment to see what happens and she sighed and said "Why are you making me do schoolwork - I didn't want it to be schoolwork" :confused: It was just a suggestion but she is so adverse to school even the word experiment makes her go into fight mode :glare:

I'm hoping my boys will be more interested in my pearls of wisdom :lol:

I told a friend this week that I wish I could pay someone else to homeschool my kids for me. :tongue_smilie: I love what homeschool is and does. Sometimes I just want a break though. Send them back once they've figured out _____ so I stop banging my head against the wall, lol.

I like teaching and the lifestyle. What I don't like is the crankiness and bad attitudes that come from the children too often. When they actually have a day that they just settle in and do their work without complaining, then I really enjoy homeschooling. That just doesn't happen all that often unfortunately.

I like teaching and the lifestyle. What I don't like is the crankiness and bad attitudes that come from the children too often. When they actually have a day that they just settle in and do their work without complaining, then I really enjoy homeschooling. That just doesn't happen all that often unfortunately.

Yeah, what she said. :D

I can't imagine not homeschooling. I just can't picture our life not being centered in the home. I truly enjoy teaching my kids, even though it has it's frustrating moments, especially with toddlers in the mix. I suspect it will be easier once everyone is a bit more grown up. It makes me sad to think of them leaving me alone all day, every day.

It has its ups and downs. Sometimes, I really love all of it. Sometimes, I hate the teaching aspect. Sometimes, I get frustrated because of the single income aspect of it. That's why I have a part-time job.

Overall, homeschooling has been the best thing for our family. But homeschooling is not for every family. Homeschooling is hard. It is a challenge. It is frustrating. But it is rewarding. It build strong family bonds. It is freeing. And at times it is a lot of fun.

I chose other.:001_smile:

I enjoy the lifestyle and the teaching, but the planning is more fun. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, we sacrifice a lot so we can homeschool. I like the teaching because I know ds is learning. As we move toward high school I like it more. It seems like we're getting into real learning, real discussions, real productivity. I liked the discovery of elementary, but the actual teaching of elementary subjects is boring to me. If I had multiple children, I would get tired of the early years.

Honestly, ds is an average student, he doesn't love school. If I didn't enjoy at least part of the teaching, we'd reconsider homeschooling, even though I feel homeschooling is the best for THIS child.

The positive contribution to our lifestyle is great, but it's gravy. We do without a lot of things too that could enhance our lifestyle too. I've done a lot of reflection on the long-term value of homeschooling, academics aside. It's the right choice, but it wouldn't take much to rationalize putting him in school and me getting a full-time job. There would be good benefits to that too.

I don't allow my mind to go there, however. I'm really good at quitting things, we have four years left and by gum we will finish this thing. I may be ready to sit in a stupor for a solid year afterward, but we're going to finish.

I like it, but that doesn't mean I like it EVERY day. or week. or even month.

Overall, yes, I wouldn't want to stop. Even my fantasy lottery winnings include homeschooling, even though I could move near any great school in the world. (Though I would have a part time nanny to make schooling and dating dh a bit easier, not to mention the housekeeper! ;))

I guess I'm in the great minority here... I love the teaching part of homeschool. It's so much fun to watch her learn to read or discover some neat fact about the world. And I like most of the lifestyle things.

But I'm a very strong introvert, and my 3yo daughter is a very strong extrovert. I need alone time for my sanity. She considers alone time to be cruel and unusual punishment. I think a quiet house is a peaceful house. She thinks a quiet house is a boring house. Our one hour a day quiet time is just not enough for my sanity. If she falls asleep, I usually get enough alone time to make it work, but usually she doesn't fall asleep... and she chatters to herself (and attempts to chatter to me) the whole hour. And it doesn't help that she's also an intense child who is quite determined to get her way all the time.

I'm going to assume that the older she gets, the more we'll be able to balance our personalities and the better it will work. But right now, it's hard.

I'll bet many of us feel this way occasionally (I sure do!) but since it's summer break around here, not so much.

:lol:

This thing has to work for all of us - best for the kids and (on average) best for me - if that isn't happening then time to find something different...and believe me I do take time to think about it and consider if it's working for each of us.

:grouphug:

I guess I'm in the great minority here... I love the teaching part of homeschool. It's so much fun to watch her learn to read or discover some neat fact about the world. And I like most of the lifestyle things.

But I'm a very strong introvert, and my 3yo daughter is a very strong extrovert. I need alone time for my sanity. She considers alone time to be cruel and unusual punishment. I think a quiet house is a peaceful house. She thinks a quiet house is a boring house. Our one hour a day quiet time is just not enough for my sanity. If she falls asleep, I usually get enough alone time to make it work, but usually she doesn't fall asleep... and she chatters to herself (and attempts to chatter to me) the whole hour. And it doesn't help that she's also an intense child who is quite determined to get her way all the time.

I'm going to assume that the older she gets, the more we'll be able to balance our personalities and the better it will work. But right now, it's hard.

I am also a strong introvert, two of my boys are introverts but the middle son is an extrovert like his dad. Quiet time helps but with a little one probably is harder. At her age a part day "pre-school" program might be a winner for both of you, especially with the baby coming. Though honestly, for me, even having to be social at morning and noon drop-offs was challenging at times. I just wanted to be left alone by strangers! :P YMMV

In some ways it's getting easier as they get older and my dh has learned that in the evenings sometimes I just need some couch time by myself once we put the kids to bed.

I answered yes to both homeschooling and lifestyle. We've homeschooled for 11 years. I can't remember any other lifestyle besides this. This fall, dd14 will be attending public school and I'm so bummed about that. I wish I had another small child so I could start all over again.

:tongue_smilie:

I thought I would like it more but I have a reluctant student.

Exactly! It's a dance, and if the partner isn't so much into dancing, it's going to be tough to love it!

I have kids who really are into it for now, so I love it. But, I can see how their attitudes may change, and mine might as well! :)

This is a hard question to answer. I answered that I like both. I do like the lifestyle a lot. The teaching... Well, I do like it, it's the students I could do without. There's no Norman Rockwell images of happy little learnsrs snuggled on the couch. It's a battle around here some days. Other days it's more like, just get your work done and then you can go play. And I hate the fact of a perpetually messy house and I'm always too wiped out from a morning of teaching to do much to it. But, I wouldn't put my kids in out public school for anything, I know that the way we school is best for them, and they do actually like being homeschooled. So, I don't hate it. I am not miserable. It's just really really hard.

Poll to follow.

I was talking with another homeschool mom and admitted that... I don't really like homeschooling. But, really it's just the teaching I don't like (big reason why I'm looking for curricula that puts me in the role of facilitator and encourager, but not teacher). I love what homeschooling offers my kids emotionally, socially and academically. I do wish for more time alone for my own pursuits and mental space.... or heck, just to be able to clean the house without interruption. But, despite my mixed feelings about homeschooling for myself, I don't see another good option for my kids, so I'm kind of stuck here, you know?

Anyway, poll's coming. I'm very interested in what y'all have to say.

ETA: By "lifestyle" I mean anything not related to you directly teaching your child - so socialization, flexible schedules, sleeping in :), basically all the "perks" of homeschooling fall under "lifestyle." Make sense? Of course, I guess, being with your kids all.the.time. is another perk or not (depending on your need for alone time).

ETA2: Option 2 should read: "I generally don't like either the teaching or lifestyle aspect of homeschooling"

I don't really enjoy the teaching part. I like the idea of the teaching part, but in reality it's stressful trying to balance the needs of all the boys. I feel like I'm always 4 or 5 steps behind where I want to be, like I'm in the middle of dropping all the balls, and like a failure.

But then I watch my boys and they're so much fun and they have learned so much and they still like us and each other and I think maybe I kept at least one or two of those balls in the air.

But yeah, the near-constant negative feelings related to my performance as the teacher really stink.

It's just fine to not like a particular style of teaching--I'm sure if I tried to teach in the way some other homeschoolers do I would not like it either. I generally don't even try to do things in a way I don't like:tongue_smilie: I think you're on the right track in looking for resources/methods that allow you to be more facilitator than teacher if direct instruction isn't something you enjoy. Are you familiar with this website? It's all about helping kids develop into self learners.

It will get better, I promise. Looks like you have a new one on the way--that can actually help a lot once the baby is old enough to interact with the older child. I'm an introvert mother and my oldest child is an extrovert--I just about went crazy during her toddler days because she wanted ME to fill all her social interaction needs. We survived, and I had a bunch more kids, and life they all interact with each other and life is much better. Oh, and I've become less introverted along the way:tongue_smilie:

I have never ever had a job that I have loved for every single moment. There is no question that homeschooling is a job as well as a lifestyle (at least for me). So sure, there are moments when I don't like to teach and moments when I don't like my students. :leaving: But overall, I love to teach them.

Pretty much.

I enjoy the lifestyle a lot and I enjoy teaching my kids... Not the correct term for us it would be facilitate their learning. I've been a stay at home mom, a part-time college student/stay at home mom, a full time nursing student and Mom, a full time working outside the home mom etc. What I know for myself is *I* need to have something outside my home that's just mine. Right now it's crafting/fiber arts. Sure I pursue those things at home but I also go to a club meeting, I'm joing a guild and I have taken classes outside the home. I'm an extrovert. I like to be around people, not just my family. My husband is an introvert as is my oldest. My youngest is 6yrs but If I had to bet money I'd say she is an extrovert. But we all are social.

I will say the availability to family time is one of the major motivating factors for us to homeschool.

Although there are difficult days, I generally love both the teaching and the lifestyle of homeschooling. I have realized, though, that it's important for me to have time alone. Dh is good about taking charge of the kids when he's home so that I can have some *me* time. Perhaps you need to schedule some time for yourself. It really helps me! Also, as others posted, switch gears in homeschooling. Find what works best for your family.:)

No, I know what you mean....I get sressed out too. But deep down I LOVE it!!! I have to stop myself from teaching people around me LOL Like just this morning I started in on a whole "Independance Day" lecture to my 7 & 3 year old :) if my dh would have been awake I would have included him LOL

I had to vote "other".

For us, the 'lifestyle" aspect is non-existent, because DH and i both work - so no sleeping in, spending time at home etc. If anything, homeschooling makes our life more stressful rather than relaxed.

I do not have to actively teach but just facilitate. That's fine, I see the benefits and enjoy researching curricula and working with the kids.

However, if we had a really high quality school available, we would not homeschool.

I like homeschooling, both sides, but I admit that there are days when I really want a day off. I love teaching, love planning curriculum, love the lifestyle-but in every other teaching job I've had, I got to send the kids home. For DD, that's not the case-she IS home. And planning/not planning doesn't seem to help-in many respects, our planned school days end up being more relaxing than the "Mommy, I just watched a brainpop video on catapults and I want to build one. Can we PLEASE go to the library and get a dozen books about them, and to the craft store to get supplies....." ones!

I like it, but that doesn't mean I like it EVERY day. or week. or even month.

Overall, yes, I wouldn't want to stop. Even my fantasy lottery winnings include homeschooling, even though I could move near any great school in the world. (Though I would have a part time nanny to make schooling and dating dh a bit easier, not to mention the housekeeper! ;))

:iagree:Me too! :D

I didn't vote, because I couldn't decide. I love the lifestyle.... except for the bit about not having time alone. I need time alone, or I just feel so anxious. I don't mind teaching the kids... usually. So I guess I'm about 60/40 on liking it more than disliking it, though somedays it goes quite the other way!

I guess I fluctuate!

I voted that I liked both but I definitely like the lifestyle aspect more and there are definitely days that that I hate homeschooling and everything about it. :p When I think of public school though, the flexible and free lifestyle is what I realize I'll miss.

I love the lifestyle and I love the idea of teaching. You know, the perfect teaching that goes on only in my head. I don't always love the reality of teaching. You know, the tears and attitude that come with it. (mine AND the girls!)

:iagree:

If only my reality was more like the pictures in the Sonlight catalog! I did put my kids in school for half a year a couple years ago. I loved having the break from teaching, but I really missed having them around and our more relaxed homeschooling lifestyle. I wish there was a way to have the best of both worlds.

Susan in TX

I like the teaching. I like some of the lifestyle, but I hate constantly trying to find activities for my son to fill in the nooks and crannies. We don't have many friends and what few we have go to public school, plus there is my stupid schedule that leaves little time for social stuff since I get out so late. There are some homeschool groups here, but they are far away from us and it's a big hassle to go weekly and use the gas.Even when I did go it was mostly older kids who had no interest in smaller kiddos, or they were religious based and I would have had to sign a statement of faith (while I am Christian I did not agree with the beliefs stated). It is a constant frustration to find all of us friends.

At this point, I really do love it. :)

I've been homeschooling my oldest for three years now and my youngest for two. Each year has been much better than the previous, in terms of teaching. The first year, I felt like all I was doing was correcting. I was too busy and stressed about other things to do anything fun, but somehow my son loved it anyway. The next year, I really enjoyed some parts and last year we found our groove. As for the lifestyle aspect of homeschooling, my daughter has always gone to public school, so we haven't had the full experience. I do love some of the perks of homeschooling though.

Adding four new students this fall will change a lot of things, so ask me again in September. :tongue_smilie: