Menu

So, how do you feel about .....whistling?

A family member has recently, in the last couple of months, started randomly whistling and I'm getting a little irritated. I've already mentioned once that I would prefer that this person reduce the amount of whistling. This person said ok, but it hasn't happened. I know for certain this person is not being deliberately annoying, but still. And why does it seem as though this person only whistles when I am around???

I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to be obsessive about this, and I feel guilty about it.

So, would you ask the person nicely to stop ALL whistling around you, or learn to live with it?

This person is not a child. ;)

Edited by Onceuponatime

You are probably going to have to live with it. Or, you could try my little routine of loudly yelling, "Noise pollution!" every time my kids start randomly whistling, yelling, singing random weird stuff over and over again, "tooting" and burping at the table or humming during study time! :glare:

I'm sorry. I know how irritating it can be...I live with three people who just.cannot.stop.making.random.noises! AHHHH!

:grouphug:

I can't stand the sound of it. My poor dh is an excellent whistler. He must have practiced for years to have that skill, but I can't stand it so he rarely does it. I thought I was the only one.

Edited by Reecie

How do I feel about whistling? Well, I am almost ashamed to say that I think it's the most annoying thing in the entire world. It grates on my nerves so bad. I have never asked anyone to stop though. I just suck it up.

:iagree:Whistling is a VERY annoying noise to me. I don't ask other people to stop, but I have been known to shush my dc for whistling loudly in the house or in the car (seriously, 8 people stuffed in a tight space...I...just...can't...take...whistling!!!LOL!!).

Good whistling is a joy, bad whistling is not.

My dad was a fabulous whistler, and I remember his polkas and hymns and waltzes punctuating my childhood. All important news was "broken" to us with a preamble of music as he approached. Strauss was big, Sousa, and just about anything Lawrence Welk would have played, too. How I miss it.

Often, in our on-the-cheap sojourns, my mother and brothers and I would sit on the suitcases in some train station while my father walked from hotel to hotel to negotiate a good price we didn't have to pay a taxi to get to. Periodically he'd stop back in to see how we were, and a dirge would echo up in those domed train stations, and we kids would not reassemble; but oh, if The Beer Barrel Polka struck up, we'd all run back from our adventures to grab our suitcase, and start heading to the origin of that sound.

Edited by kalanamak

A family member has recently, in the last couple of months, started randomly whistling and I'm getting a little irritated. I've already mentioned once that I would prefer that this person reduce the amount of whistling. This person said ok, but it hasn't happened. I know for certain this person is not being deliberately annoying, but still. And why does it seem as though this person only whistles when I am around???

I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to be obsessive about this, and I feel guilty about it.

So, would you ask the person nicely to stop ALL whistling around you, or learn to live with it?

Because you're not around to hear it when he's not around you ;)?

Yes, it annoys me. Yes, I try to suck it up.

I don't mind when dh whistles. He's a good whistler, carries a tune well, and manages to whistle quietly and cheerfully enough that it's pleasant to listen to. When certain other people whistle in the house I tolerate it for abou 5 seconds and then ask them to go whistle outside. And please don't forget to close the back door. ;)

I'm not sure what I would do if the annoying whistler in my house was an adult. Maybe you need to sit him down (when he's not whistling) and let him know your feelings about whistling (being careful not to say it in a manner that would make him feel defensive) and see if he has any solutions.

Whistling songs happily? The sign of a happy soul! Be grateful. Consider joining in or singing along! :D

Whistling piercingly, as loudly as possible for the mere sake of making annoying noises? No.

:iagree: Especially the bolded part.

:iagree:

Whistling reminds me of happy people. My FIL was a constant, and very good, whistler. I sometimes think there must be a Whistler's Choir in heaven for people like him.

I actually see whistling as a kind of music. Some people can play the piano, some the guitar, some can sing beautifully, and some can - - - whistle.

As Alte Veste said - Be grateful. Perhaps I shouldn't say this (again), but I am anyway. When you've faced the much-too-early possibility of death of a loved one (particularly your child), whistling just isn't an issue. Whistling is something you are delighted to hear. Yes - DELIGHTED. We almost lost ds several times to cancer. He was a terrific whistler - a happy whistler - a very talented whistler. During the cancer, especially the second time, we didn't think we'd ever hear him whistle again. Unless you've walked this walk (or similar), you just can't know how precious that sound of his whistling is to dh and me.

Be rankled by someone whistling??? Absolutely NOT! I truly wish churches would have a whistling choir. I know - I know - I'm about to be lambasted for these comments . . . I have listened (unbeknownst to the whistlers) in stunned amazement as ds (and before him, his granddad) whistled hymns in such a reverent way that it brought tears to your eyes. And indeed, many times, they were doing just that - worshipping their Creator with a gift He had given them.

Don't know why this post touched a nerve, but I guess I better get out of here - and quick! :auto:

My dad was a fabulous whistler, and I remember his polkas and hymns and waltzes punctuating my childhood. All important news was "broken" to us with a preamble of music as he approached. Strauss was big, Sousa, and just about anything Lawrence Welk would have played, too. How I miss it.

Often, in our on-the-cheap sojourns, my mother and brothers and I would sit on the suitcases in some train station while my father walked from hotel to hotel to negotiate a good price we didn't have to pay a taxi to get to. Periodically he'd stop back in to see how we were, and a dirge would echo up in those domed train stations, and we kids would not reassemble; but oh, if The Beer Barrel Polka struck up, we'd all run back from our adventures to grab our suitcase, and start heading to the origin of that sound.

Wonderful story!

I am an unconcious whistler. I frequently catch myself whistling, and sometimes my DH points it out. I try to refrain in public places, but I really don't always notice I'm doing it right away. My 5yo whistles now. I love it, but do try to tone it down in public. I especially love it when he takes my hand and says, "I'm going to whistle a happy tune for you, Mommy."

Whistling drives me out of my tree! Can't stand it. I have certain noise sensitivity issues and whistling, sniffing, gum snapping, chewing with mouth open etc. really get to me. I know it is irrational but can't seem to help it so I avoid being around those noises. Occasionally one of my girls will whistle and after about 2 min I either have to leave or I usually ask her to stop.

There is a lady in a store I frequent who is a whistler. She isn't horrible but she is not notably melodic either. I think she just does it out of habit more than anything.

I find it a bit annoying, but for me bass sounds are more annoying that high pitched ones, so I am able to ignore it for the most part. The neighbors bass booming through my wall....now That is annoying.

Whistling songs happily? The sign of a happy soul! Be grateful. Consider joining in or singing along! :D

But if all whistling, regardless of the motivation behind it, sounds like nails on a chalkboard to you, it's really hard to be grateful!

OP, you have my sympathy, because whistling drives me absolutely batty, even when it's done well. My mom can whistle well, and I had to listen to it for countless hours when I was growing up, and I hated it. But I discovered that there is something even worse, and that's listening to my dh whistle! God bless him, he's a great guy, but he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. He likes to whistle along with music, only what he's whistling isn't the same tune or the same rhythm or anything! :lol: It's truly, profoundly terrible. When he starts up, I listen to my iPod to drown it out.

My granny used to forbid whistling in her presence. We obeyed.

Personally, I like whistling unless it's horribly out of tune. I have never asked anyone to stop it. That said, nobody really whistles around here. My eldest knows how to whistle but not in a tune. Myself, it just doesn't occur to me that often.

But what I cannot stand (and do forbid) is the repetition of the same identical words or other utterance more than 3x in a row. I don't care what it is, 3x is more than enough.

A funny (to me): when I first met my best friend from India, she was rather disgusted that I whistled. Apparently in India (at least where she comes from), it is considered extremely low-class for women to whistle. Basically if you whistle, you're telling the guys "have at me" or something. Whoda thunk.

Whistling a tune while performing a chore is tolerated. Ds, however, will just randomly throw out high pitch whistley noises. He is told that he may do that in his room with the door closed or outside. He uses it as a weapon often though, and that will not be tolerated. I have a high threshold for general noise as long as it is not malicious (designed to intentionally annoy). Rude behavior is not tolerated at all. Intent is the deciding factor.

my husband is a whistler and it drives me batty. He starts when he wakes up. Ugh. He also whistles (quietly - almost like a whisper whistle, which is also very annoying) in inappropriate places - like church!

But, I feel like I complain way too much already, so I bite my tongue.

:001_smile:

My dad was a whistler. I love whistling.

I would want to throw the person right out the window!! Whistling drives me NUTS!!! like nails on a blackboard. If this person is your dh...ask nicely. If a parent of yours....put yourself in another room....if your child, put said child in another room.

I have been known to give the nastiest look I can conjure....which is pretty bad, and turn heel and leave. Whistle away, but I am not listening!

What a pleasant mental picture this invokes. Thank you for sharing. I find myself wanting to know more. :)

I have a child who has learned to whistle...but there is no tune (yet). He prefers brief whistle *blasts* that sound like a warning or a fog horn. I'm just not to the enjoyment part of that yet. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by MSPolly
because one shouldn't post until they've had their coffee, otherwise fog *horn* becomes fog *hog*

I had a kid in my art class in our co-op this last year that hummed. Constantly. Without pause. Some mornings I could handle it ok, but some mornings I asked him to stop. And he would for a moment then start right back up.

Learning to ignore it might be difficult if it's like nails on a chalkboard but would probably be best for you personally. :) Think of it as a mental exercise.

How do I feel about whistling? Well, I am almost ashamed to say that I think it's the most annoying thing in the entire world. It grates on my nerves so bad. I have never asked anyone to stop though. I just suck it up.

This. Except for the part about not asking anyone to stop. I would ask them to stop, or I would leave the room/house/car and go far, far away.

The person may not be a child, but he or she is behaving like one, so I would expect to respond as one would to a child. I would simply ignore it until it stopped, if it seemed intended only to annoy.

In general, I find whistling annoying at best and... well, I'll leave it at that. I've taught my dc not to whistle in public for the same reason they don't chew gum, skip, hum, chew with their mouths open, or blow their noses at the table. I know others may not consider all of those equivalent (don't bother posting, I know :D,) but I do.

I think silence and calm are undervalued in our society. :001_smile:

:001_smile: I like this.

I also like my little whistler. I hear her playing and whistling to herself and I realize she's happy. Whistling is a happy sound and I'll always take some happy in my day :001_smile:.

The only whistler I've lived with is my middle (grown) ds. I enjoy it and find it interesting because he whistles the melodies of composers like Mozart, Rossini, Vivaldi, etc. I find it fascinating that he is able to reduce complex pieces of music to simple, single-note whistles.

:iagree: - the bolded part. My ds does this also - whistles classics and it is fascinating and beautiful. Really no different than listening to someone skillfully perform the piece on another instrument. :)

Whistling hurts my ears. I can't help it. I don't know if it's the high pitch or what. Even when someone is a good whistler (ds can carry a tune with a whistle, but not when he sings) it is like nails on a chalkboard or teeth on a fork.

This. But I have asked both dh and ds to stop. Whistling is not allowed in the car me. If a stranger is whistling in public, I do my best to get away from him (it's nearly always a him).

I just say after a few minutes. "Okay thank you, that's enough now." DH usually stops.

:lol:

Whistling drives me out of my tree! Can't stand it. I have certain noise sensitivity issues and whistling, sniffing, gum snapping, chewing with mouth open etc. really get to me. I know it is irrational but can't seem to help it so I avoid being around those noises.

Also loud crunching. Those noises drive me crazy too, but they don't do to me what whistling does.

I teach all my kids how to whistle and then spend the rest of the time telling them not to whistle near me. I whistle at times but the sound of someone else doing it is like nails on a chalk board and is not permitted near me by anyone if they would like to keep their head attached to their shoulders. Extended family and friends know that next to the sound of someone eating/drinking whistling is a guaranteed way to push me past my tolerance level in 0.2 seconds.

Whistling drives me out of my tree! Can't stand it. I have certain noise sensitivity issues and whistling, sniffing, gum snapping, chewing with mouth open etc. really get to me. I know it is irrational but can't seem to help it so I avoid being around those noises. Occasionally one of my girls will whistle and after about 2 min I either have to leave or I usually ask her to stop.

SOmeone else who gets it. I am just as sensitive to the same sounds and it is not pretty if I can not get away from those noises and the person won't stop.

Oh my gracious. I cannot STAND whistling.

Thankfully, only my dss does it. And every.single.time. I say 'No whistlling, please!" He and I have chatted about it; he knows it's not *him*, it's me. I just can't stand the sound. And in our home, if you're doing something unnecesary that irritates someone else, and they ask you to stop, you stop.

he knows it's not *him*, it's me. I just can't stand the sound. .

I've tried to make this clear to dh and ds. I've also tried to tell them that I'm not the only one who has an issue with whistling. I think if you're a whistler it's hard to understand how it sounds to some of us. Maybe I should show them this thread. :D