Menu

Is it possible to completely break an addiction?

Is it possible to *completely* break an addiction?  

1. 1. Is it possible to *completely* break an addiction?

• Yes, it's possible for the addiction to completely go away.
    • No, there will probably always be a remnant of that desire.
    • Other.

Not a professional, but I believe it depends on the addiction. For instance, drug addiction/long term drug use alters the brain's physiology. I don't know that non-chemical addictions do that - perhaps that makes them easier to break?

I also believe that, with God, all things are possible. But I think there's a lot involved on the part of the addicted person, the desire to not be addicted, etc. I'm sure it requires good professional help.

:grouphug: to you, Julie. I've been thinking about you.

I don't know.

For example, I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant with Zee. I never started back up. Now, I *have* smoked a few cigarettes since then (none in the past few years, but still), and enjoyed them very much. And while even today I would enjoy smoking a cigarette, I'm not going to go buy a pack, because I have enough control over the desire not to.

It's also not like I sit around thinking about how much I miss smoking anymore. It's been ten years since I quit. I go months and months without thinking about it. But if someone asked me to honestly say if I would enjoy smoking a cigarrette, the answer is yes. I would enjoy it. I wouldn't *do* it at all, but if I did, I would enjoy it.

Does that make sense?

I do believe we have more control over ourselves than society generally says.

I have had a few obsessions....maybe some would call them addictions, I don't know. I believe we can become obsessed with people even.

Generally I believe we can replace an unhealthy habit or practice with a healthy one and after a while the desire for the unhealthy goes away.

I believe this to be different for drugs and maybe for some people, alcohol. I've read that only 10% of recovering alcoholics quit without outside intervention. My dad is one of those. He has been sober for almost 30 years.

I also believe many times people call something an 'addiction' when it really isn't one. They've just crossed the line that someone has come up with and so when they back up and away from said line they are 'cured' of an addiction...to be that is just getting control of yourself.

I picked "No," but only because you said..."always have a remnant of that desire." I think one can break an addiction, even most of the really troubling ones, but I do think there is always a need to continue choosing your new path. Maybe not always in a conscious way, just that from time to time, you may feel interested in that thing and you have to remember that you aren't that anymore.

I don't know, either. I think it's always a possibility to get sucked back in to the addiction.

I quit smoking almost 10 years ago, as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I had been smoking 1.5 packs a day for 14 years prior to that. I had tried to quit before, but if I even had a little puff of one cigarette, I was back to my former level in less than 2 days. I know that I can never, ever even have one little puff, or I will be right back in the same boat. I think it is that way for many addictions.

I don't know.

For example, I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant with Zee. I never started back up. Now, I *have* smoked a few cigarettes since then (none in the past few years, but still), and enjoyed them very much. And while even today I would enjoy smoking a cigarette, I'm not going to go buy a pack, because I have enough control over the desire not to.

It's also not like I sit around thinking about how much I miss smoking anymore. It's been ten years since I quit. I go months and months without thinking about it. But if someone asked me to honestly say if I would enjoy smoking a cigarrette, the answer is yes. I would enjoy it. I wouldn't *do* it at all, but if I did, I would enjoy it.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. That's just what I was trying to say. :D

Well, I believe in a recovery model that includes complete recovery, not just staying "in recovery" forever. So I voted yes. I'm glad "mainstream" models have helped many people. I just feel it has kept many people in bondage to their addictions, whether practicing or not, unnecessarily also. I know it isn't popular, but I feel so sad that so many people are living (often for years) within a minute, hour or day of that "fix."

I picked "No," but only because you said..."always have a remnant of that desire." I think one can break an addiction, even most of the really troubling ones, but I do think there is always a need to continue choosing your new path. Maybe not always in a conscious way, just that from time to time, you may feel interested in that thing and you have to remember that you aren't that anymore.

:iagree: that you have to keep choosing the new path. Not that you necessarily think about it constantly or are always just an hour or minute or whatever away from relapse, but it is an ongoing choice whenever it comes up. Some people are always on the brink, others are able to go months or even years without even thinking about it, but everyone has to keep making the choice each time it comes up.

I don't know.

Does that make sense?

This is me, too. I quit because dh said he wouldn't date me if I smoked. I still love the smell and would enjoy smoking, but I don't crave cigarettes.

My general answer is yes, but most people need to avoid easy tempations for a long while.

I know plenty of people who changed because they wanted to. Did or do they ever think about it; I imagine they do. It's very possible to want something and not act on it. This covers so many things...drugs, alcohol, p@rn, strip clubs, self harm, eating disorders, hair sucking and so on.

One thing I read recently in the book "The Power of Less" was where the author talks about resisting an "urge" from an old habit. I love the metaphor he uses. He says an urge is like a wave. It builds up and then it dissipates. You just acknowledge that the urge is there, allow for it and then allow it to dissipate. I love the mental picture that gives me!

Absolutely! My pastor was a heroin addict for a long time before coming to the Lord and the Lord completely released him of that addiction.

:iagree:that the Lord can certainly release a person from an addiction, but I also believe that the person will still have to exercise self control to stay away from whatever they were addicted to.

My DH was a drug addict. Bad. He had laid off of most of the hardcore stuff when I met him, but still used marijuana. Then he stopped using that when we got serious because I couldn't tolerate any sort of drug usage because of my upbringing. A few months after my DS was born, I found out that for about 3-4 months prior, my DH had been using again (not marijuana). I was devastated. It put our marriage through the ringer.

The key here is that my DH had become a believer during those 3-4 months, but still struggled with pulling away from the person who had reintroduced the drug to him (it was a coworker). He told me about how once he became a Christian, he thought it would be like a light switch...the desire would just leave him, but it didn't. He didn't WANT to use, but couldn't fight the desire. Then he realized that God could and would certainly help him but he had to put in effort on his part as well. Through grace of God he was able to finally get the strength to stop and has never looked back. He will still tell anyone today that he has no desire whatsoever to use ever again, but he won't go hang out with someone who has the drug just lying around, kwim? The temptation might overtake him.

My mother was/is an alcoholic. She's been sober for years now, but throughout my childhood she had many relapses. She would stay sober for a few years and then the stress of life(we had many traumatic things happen) would send her running back to the bottle. Rinse and repeat. She's at a place now where I honestly don't believe she'll drink again, but she also isn't going to go spend time at a bar.

I voted yes because I think it's possible and occasionally happens. But my definition of completely breaking an addiction would be very rare. I think most who break free of addiction will need to be vigilant to avoid falling backward.

Not a professional, but I believe it depends on the addiction. For instance, drug addiction/long term drug use alters the brain's physiology. I don't know that non-chemical addictions do that - perhaps that makes them easier to break?

I also believe that, with God, all things are possible. But I think there's a lot involved on the part of the addicted person, the desire to not be addicted, etc. I'm sure it requires good professional help.

:grouphug: to you, Julie. I've been thinking about you.

:iagree: It depends on the addiction and the person. Some addiction issue can look resolved for years and it only takes one incident for the person to go back their addictive ways. It's a fine balance and I believe someone who is an addict needs to vigilant about their own shortcomings.

I've seen a few people who by all outward appearances were resolved of their addictions and fell off years down the road. The addictive portion of their biology was still there, I'm not sure that every goes away, but I believe it can be controlled to an extent.

Yes, I'm wondering about the role of endorphins in addictive/compulsive/obsessive behaviors. Are they equally as addictive as some of the other chemical processes, physiologically speaking? If you're hooked on a negative behavior that produces an endorphin response, can you replace the negative behavior with another endorphin-producing activity and not desire the negative behavior anymore?

Confusing, huh? Don't know for sure if I'm making any sense. :001_huh:

I put other because I think it is possible with some addictions but maybe not with other addictions. My dh smoked when I met him. He hasn't smoked now for 25 years. He doesn't like the smell of it anymore at all.

I am not sure with something like methamphetamines. My understanding of this horrible drug is that it destroys part of your brain (chemical receptors or something like that) and that then you need the drug. There is a very low rehabilitation rate with it- much lower than any of the other drugs. And the first use can do the destruction.

I posted yes because I used to be a cutter and I have absolutely no desire to do that anymore. Like other people have said though, it would depend on the addiction. My cousin was an alcoholic and kicked the addiction but has to be careful where we allows himself to go and who he hangs out with as a remnant of it is still there. I have a friend (late middle age woman) who was severely bulimic when she was in her early adulthood and kicked that addiction and has NO desire to do that sort of thing anymore.

:iagree: Take smoking. My dh was seriously addicted to it. (3 pack a day smoker) He even got up to smoke in the middle of the night. Through lots of prayer and the grace of God, he broke that addiction. He STILL occassionally has the desire to smoke. But he's strong enough to over come that desire now.

No. Otherwise alcoholics should be able to drink in moderation after they "overcame" their addiction. Not happening.

I know two, but both drank nothing for 20 years or more. The you-can-never-ever-drink-again is the "safe side" that is probably best practiced by the majority of 12 steppers. AFAIR, they both only had a beer now and then, and never two at a time.

I know plenty of ex smokers who now hate the stuff.

I've known ex heroin addicts who can take pain pills when needed, but I've know plenty of people who barely have a "drug of choice". Anything and everything, from crank to benedryl, and I get to know them very well because they are constantly coming up with semi-plausible stories about how they need one thing or other other. Of them, I say they "become addicted when the meds roll by on the cart". Very sad.

Perhaps someone can tell me, because I don't feel like Googling/researching...what is the difference between an obsession/compulsion and an addiction, and is there a physiological difference between the two?

Compulsion and addiction are closely related, and there is a fine line between the two, made more muddy by the fact that definitions of addiction and compulsion have changed somewhat over the years.

In GENERAL, though... a compulsion is a repetitive, sometimes ritualistic behaviour. It does not need to be a harmful behaviour, but it could be. For example, always having to tap three times on your knee before you can stand up is a compulsive behaviour. So is ritualistic cutting of yourself. One is obviously harmless, one is not, but they are both compulsions.

Addictions are harmful behaviours one engages in willingly, but cannot stop oneself from repeating/continuing despite the fact that one knows the harmful consequences of doing it. Drugs and alcohol are easily identified as addictions, but there are other addictions less obvious.

If you feel that a behaviour is harmful or even just worrisome to you, it doesn't matter if you think it an addiction or a compulsion. If it is bothering you, I would encourage you to seek counseling. A qualified counselor can help you identify which it is, but more importantly, they can help you overcome it.

And to your original question: I don't think it matters if you can "completely break" an addiction. I think the real task is to overcome it, so that it isn't ruling your life anymore. Whether or not you have some residual desire left for that behaviour anymore isn't as important as your will to overcome its hold on you.

This. I voted no for the same reason.

Here's an example from my own life. I was anorexic in high school and then bulimic is college. I was "cured" the day that found out I was pregnant with my first child. But, to this day I do not own a scale. I very purposefully avoid them. Why? Because when life gets hard, or overwhelming, that desire for control is still there, and I don't want to go back. I don't want the temptation, even if it is a very small one. I don't even know for sure that having a scale would be a problem anymore, but I don't want to find out either.

I think terms are important here. One is either addicted or not addicted and I see that as only partly related to the desire and/or temptation for the activity. So yes, I think someone can NOT be addicted (anymore) and have the ability to control or say no to the temptation or desire. I also think that for some people with some addictions, "complete" recovery without any desire is also possible.

Yep, I'm keeping it that general.

I just want to know what you think about that basic question.

I smoked 1/2 pack of cigarettes per day for 7 years, quit more than 20 years ago, and don't have any lasting desire. In fact, I find I am more sensitive to smoke than many people - it really bothers me.

I voted No, but I've never struggled with an addiction. However, my Dad quit smoking 30 years ago and he's the first to admit that if he smoked a single cigarette he'd be hooked again. I also know a recovered(ing?) Alcoholic who has been clean for over a decade and still goes to weekly meetings to help him stay sober.

So yes, I believe that there can always be a part of someone who craves their addiction, even if they've overcome it. But again, I don't know it personally.

my parents both stopped smoking after smoking 4 to 5 packs a day. For years my mom said there were times she wanted a cigarette but that has passed now. They've both been clean from them now for almost 40 years with never a lapse. It took a year for my mom to quit, not sure about my dad.

I think all addictions are not equal though, so it's hard to make a blanket statement. I smoked for 15 years. I've been smoke-free for 11 years and I honestly cannot even remember when I last entertained the thought of smoking. I don't miss it at all. It's so gross. I would say I kicked that addiction 100%.

I smoked A LOT while in college and then for a bit into adulthood. I was hooked. Then after getting married, when dh and I decided to have a baby, I totally kicked the habit and have never looked back. As a matter of fact, the thought of smoking kind of makes me :ack2:.

However, I have a food addiction going on that I can't seem to get over. I am quite sure that the difference is that when I quit smoking I was able to avoid being around other smokers for quite a long time, so the temptation wasn't in front of my face. But with my food addiction...well, I've got to eat. So there in lies the problem - I can't get away from food.

So I agree with the PPs that said that all addictions are not created equal.

In the pharmacy world, we have a simplified version of what an addiction is. We consider someone and addict, when they will do things to get medications that force them to do things they wouldn't normally do. Lying, stealing, manipullating, being dishonest, etc.

In our world, there are many people who are dependant on medications, but work within their morals, and within the law to stay on the medications. To say someone is an addict is something else.

I am sure 12 step programs would disagree with us.

That being said...yes, using this definition, I absolutely agree that people can overcome addictions. BUT it usually takes the person's morals becoming more important than the addiction.

My own example is smoking for 12 years, then stopping when I got pregnant with my son. My morals dictated that I stop for him. I have zero desire for smoking now and when I think of smoking, I don't think of it as discusting bad habit....I think of how expensive it is (morally I am against spending money in this way). I think of how I work hard to eat quality food and smoking doesn't fit in that lifestyle. I think of how I don't want my kids to smoke and the role model factor.

If my morals changed. If my children didn't exist, if I had unlimited money and health......I wouldn't have a reason to not smoke and I could see myself starting up again.

:iagree:I'm not sure the desire for the substance/person/thing you're obsessed/addicted to ever leaves you completely. If the desire to control it is stronger than the desire to give in...then you can have some degree of mastery over it. If you don't care enough to do that, or you secretly desire what it is you're addicted to and are only trying to modify your behavior to please others....then no. The addiction will always win out.

Edited by DianeW88