Menu

Would you complain?

Would you complain to the manager?  

1. 1. Would you complain to the manager?

• Yes I would complain to the manager.
    • Nah, I would just shrug it off.

I voted no, I wouldn't complain.... but....

I assumed that meant a "Can I talk to your manager right now" scenario. I would seriously consider filling out a comment card, though.

:iagree: most restaurants around here do not allow that, so I would put something on a comment card. Probably not something I would bother the manager about at the time though.

I wouldn't say anything to the manager, but I might say something to the teenager. I'm pretty sure my husband would. Not something like, "why did you come to work so creepy looking today?", but more along the lines of "When you're in a service position, making your customers feel comfortable is important and your eyes might trouble some folks. I would hate to see you get in trouble because of a complaint."

Define please.

I have known some people over the years who have had pupils that look like cat eyes. I also knew a girl in middle school who had sort of albino irises. Though most are contacts these days, it's important to remember some people really do have odd eye issues/patterns.

So if it was one of the above, I would explain the above to my kids.

If it was something else, I might or might not say something.

If it really did freak my kid out and I knew it was not natural, I would have left and said why. I'm not a fan of paying for shows I don't want to attend.

"When you're in a service position, making your customers feel comfortable is important and your eyes might trouble some folks. I would hate to see you get in trouble because of a complaint."

To me, this seems like it IS a complaint, and if my manager didn't mind the contacts I would mostly just be mad and rebel against the customer and wear them every time I worked even if I didn't feel like it.

Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, no I would not say anything.

No, that wouldn't bother me at all. It might result in an internal eye roll if said teenage copped an attitude with the weird contacts. If it happened at a nice, sit down restaurant I might. Hard to imagine it happening somewhere like that though.

I don't really get how the appearance of a line server has anything to do with the quality of my lunch. Were hands clean? Was there a pleasant "May I help you" or similar greeting? Did I get my food quickly (Chipotle is so quick, usually!) and was it delicious?

These are all that matter to me. I don't give advice to servers on their choice of attire or accessories.

Define please.

I have known some people over the years who have had pupils that look like cat eyes. I also knew a girl in middle school who had sort of albino irises. Though most are contacts these days, it's important to remember some people really do have odd eye issues/patterns.

So if it was one of the above, I would explain the above to my kids.

If it was something else, I might or might not say something.

:iagree:

I know someone with a natural cat eye from a childhood eye injury.

I don't really get how the appearance of a line server has anything to do with the quality of my lunch. Were hands clean? Was there a pleasant "May I help you" or similar greeting? Did I get my food quickly (Chipotle is so quick, usually!) and was it delicious?

These are all that matter to me. I don't give advice to servers on their choice of attire or accessories.

:iagree:This, exactly! :D

Last time we ate out the young server was wearing TONS of make-up. Not in an accidental way but long fake eyelashes, bright eye shadow and lip stick. I didn't complain about that, why would eyes be different? Keep my glass of ice tea full and we're good!!

No, I wouldn't complain. Most likely we'd all laugh and think it was cool and then my dh would call him Damien or Chucky or something like that.

ROFL! Our family is that way too. It would be an amusing anecdote for us to giggle and chat about for the rest of the day. :lol:

The cleanliness/food quality/reasonably friendly service are things I *might* complain about at a fast food place.

Well, I actually did not complain at the restaurant (the kid scared me a bit) but was considering sending an email to the manager.

Usually I am laid back about personal choices and such, but I felt this was a bit ..... disprespectful maybe? It just doesn't seem to be something you do when serving the public.

He was definitely wearing contacts, though. They were not his real eyes.

It just struck me as a little blatent in the "I don't give a ****" category, which is not the feeling I want to get while being waited on.

I probably will just let it go. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I was just curious what other people thought because I have been going back and forth all day with this.

Really? The word **** gets edited out of posts?

The **** is the same word as DAM only with an N on the end.

Probably the most non-swear swear word out there haha.

It reminds me of the movie "Vacation" with Chevy Chase when they go to see the Hoover Dam.

The guide proceeds to say "Welcome to the Dam. I am your Dam guide. You will be seeing a lot of interesting Dam things today. I am willing to answer any Dam questions you have. Don't forget to buy your Dam souviners on your way out." :lol:

I am not against personal expression in general- wildly colored hair, tattoos, piercings, etc. do not bother me. However, creepy contact lenses and gruesome tattoos do bother me a bit on an employee in a service industry- where I deal with them directly. I also have one child who was deeply disturbed by a very well done but horrifyingly realistic zombie attack tattoo she saw. The creepy eyes bother her too. We are doing our best to keep her life normal and goign out and about, and she understands she can't be shielded from every unpleasant sight, but being waited on by someone with gory tattoos or bloody zombie eyeballs is just wrong. A tattoo can be covered, and the employee can wear clear contacts or glasses to work.

I don't care what the cooks or stockroom people wear. But if I was waited on by someone who was intentionally creepy looking, I would bring it to the manager's attention. And if it was the manager, I wouldn;t go there. Really. I am all about personal freedom, but just because someone has the right to do something doesn;t mean it;s the right thing to do.

I voted yes, but really it depends. If I or my child was so creeped out that we would not visit that restaurant again, I would "complain." I think it is only fair for the manager to know why he/she is losing customers. If we were mildly put off but it wouldn't affect our decision to return, I would not complain but might make a comment like "wow, interesting choice of contacts for a workday." Then later I would probably regret making the comment.

Well' date=' I actually did not complain at the restaurant (the kid scared me a bit) but was considering sending an email to the manager.

Usually I am laid back about personal choices and such, but I felt this was a bit ..... disprespectful maybe? It just doesn't seem to be something you do when serving the public.

He was definitely wearing contacts, though. They were not his real eyes.

It just struck me as a little blatent in the "I don't give a ****" category, which is not the feeling I want to get while being waited on.

I probably will just let it go. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. I was just curious what other people thought because I have been going back and forth all day with this.[/quote']

I am not against personal expression in general- wildly colored hair, tattoos, piercings, etc. do not bother me. However, creepy contact lenses and gruesome tattoos do bother me a bit on an employee in a service industry- where I deal with them directly. I also have one child who was deeply disturbed by a very well done but horrifyingly realistic zombie attack tattoo she saw. The creepy eyes bother her too. We are doing our best to keep her life normal and goign out and about, and she understands she can't be shielded from every unpleasant sight, but being waited on by someone with gory tattoos or bloody zombie eyeballs is just wrong. A tattoo can be covered, and the employee can wear clear contacts or glasses to work.

I don't care what the cooks or stockroom people wear. But if I was waited on by someone who was intentionally creepy looking, I would bring it to the manager's attention. And if it was the manager, I wouldn;t go there. Really. I am all about personal freedom, but just because someone has the right to do something doesn;t mean it;s the right thing to do.

This. In the service industry, it is understood that they should dress/appear appropriate and as non offensive to their clients as possible. Purposely making themselves look disgusting or otherwise unappealing is acceptable reason for management to take action.

So if they were appearing in a manner that is scary to little children in a restaurant, yes someone should say something.

So...

I wanna see a picture!! Link to comparable picture please!!!:D

No I would not contact the manager but I would have likely commented to teh teenager myself (if my kids didn't first). Likely asking if they were contacts and asking if it ever freaks anyone out, and how that works at the job. Not in a hoity toity way, but as conversation while ordering and waiting for the food. I have had similar discussions with employees about peircings, or severe styles etc. If their boss cared it would have been addressed already, so I wouldn't complain, but learning more about why they chose it and maybe putting a bug in their ear to think about their choices before work without making it a judgement issue is easy enough with friendly converstation.

:iagree: I want my food hot, my order correct, and I'd like a greeting not a grumble. Beyond that I don't care. There are bigger issues in life, really.

:iagree: I want my food hot, my order correct, and I'd like a greeting not a grumble. Beyond that I don't care. There are bigger issues in life, really.

Our family belonged to a co-op grocery at one time where the checkers had tons of unusual piercings, large tattoos, very...unique...hairstyles, etc. I just used it as a chance to teach my kids about personal expression if they commented or asked.

[ATTACH]9014[/ATTACH]

They looked like this (only minus the knife haha)

Okay, that's just plain unnecessary. He's clearly trying to freak people out and I would definitely complain to the manager. It's not a stinkin' goth club, it's Chipotle. Families come in to eat meals. Why should we be subjected to gross-out get-ups? I would be equally offended if a waitress dressed like a Hooters girl and would most definitely complain.

My thoughts are if his employer didn't care than neither should you. The food was alright otherwise, correct? You got what you were paying for?

I agree. Who cares? There are really bigger things to worry about in life than the kind of contacts a restaurant worker had on. Especially at a casual friggin restaurant.

[ATTACH]9014[/ATTACH]

They looked like this (only minus the knife haha)

I would have told the manager I felt it was inappropriate to have the staff purposely looking scary to their customers. I could see many a child under the age of ... hmm. 7?... that would be scared of that look. It would make my 1, 3, and 6 year old cry. We would likely get up and leave without ordering if them did. I want to enjoy a pleasant meal and good food. Having the waiter freak my kids out would not be something I would pay for.

Now, obviously if this were a resturant that caters to the crowd that enjoys that kind of thing - fine for them.

But a typical chain resturant that often serves family?

Not cool.

The typical goth or wacky hair and peircings doesn't bother us, but I do think the typical little kid looking up from the children's menu would be a bit or more freaked by that.

Obviously other MMV.