Menu

Weird? Or sweet?  

1. 1. Weird? Or sweet?

• Weird.
    • Sweet.
    • Rivka, there're a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing

Not weird if she shared it in the office. Definitely weird for insisting it was to be taken home.

:iagree:

The more cake the better!

:iagree: with this too!

Call ME weird but because of her insistence that he take it home I would want to see HER eat a piece first. My head immediately goes to "What's wrong with it?" If she's weird in general I would not eat it. Just saying.

:iagree: Okay, I had this thought too. Does she not want to be around when it is tasted?:tongue_smilie: Then again it's from a box so it's not like she forgot to put the sugar in or something.

I'm going with weird in a sweet kind of way.:) I'm also wondering if the other coworkers will really see a cake on their birthdays? Hmm...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's sweet . . . but I do see how you'd be completely justified in being annoyed. Service to others and gift giving could be her love language. She might really like experimenting with new recipes but just not want to eat cake every week.

Freeze her cake so when you have a serious cake craving. Eat yours for his special celebration. Free cake is awesome!:D

The only "normal" way to do birthdays at work is thusly:

The person who had the last birthday queries the person with the upcoming birthday about celebratory comestible requirements. The former then procures the later's requested comestible.

Said comestible resides in the breakroom for all to partake on the appropriate natal anniversary.

So I vote weird.

I went with sweet. I love giving people my baked goods. And they love getting them. I often trade quick car repairs etc. for baked goods. It was a bit odd that she wouldn't let him share it. When I give people cookies, for instance, they can share or not share as they please.

Put it in the freezer for next week and have the cake you made tonight.

I went with sweet. I love giving people my baked goods. And they love getting them. I often trade quick car repairs etc. for baked goods. It was a bit odd that she wouldn't let him share it. When I give people cookies, for instance, they can share or not share as they please.

Put it in the freezer for next week and have the cake you made tonight.

"How much for an oil change?"

"Three dozen Tollhouse cookies."

"Four dozen."

"Four dozen if you include the air filter."

"Deal."

It's a sweet gesture, but I probably would have been weirded out by it. Another woman giving my dh her baked goods? I don't know. It just seems a little off. I'm sure the lady has a heart of gold, but she may need to learn about boundries.

Preferably that she raised by hand from a small seed, right?

I happen to use those boxed cake mixes and premade icing too. Oh well, more cake for me! Funfetti actually rocks, thank you very much.

:iagree:We all LOVE funfetti cake and frosting. That stuff is awesome!

Well I like baking too but I would never bake a cake to have someone take home unless I know specifically there isn't going to be one.

Jeez, not the way to endear you to the wife a co-worker. I think the tactful thing would be to have it as a work thing. Having someone take it home makes it more personal.

To each his own and i wouldn't get my dander up but I would look at her cross eyed next time I see her :D

I voted sweet.

There are lots of strange, unusual, and quirky people in a work environment. Shoot! I've BEEN the strange, unusual, quirky person in most of my work environments . . . including my own home :lol:.

I've learned not to read too much into other people's motives. If she acted like she was trying to be nice, then she probably was. Her version of nice and appropriate simply may not be your version. I wouldn't feel put off or defensive of my spouse if someone baked them a cake. If I had a special dessert planned, we'd still have it.

I love cake. Frankly, cake is my favorite food . . . which is why I'm dieting . . . again. *SIGH* Pass me some funfetti anytime. I'm no cake snob.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

And I think it is rude for people to put her down for baking a cake from a mix. She meant it to be a present. One that she will be able to provide for everyone at some point. I doubt that she meant it as some baking competition. Or as a competition for the person's affection. It's just cake. Perhaps next year she'll give everyone a potted plant instead.

Thank you. I was feeling bad for being a box-cake-maker.

I can see her insisting he take it home as a very nice gesture, not weird. If he shares it at the office, he only gets a little piece. I think it's kind of her to let him have the whole thing (of course he'd share it with his family, but perhaps there are a ton of people at the office and taking it home would mean he'd get more).

I think seeing it as "THE OFFICIAL BIRTHDAY CAKE" is wrong--there's only ONE of those, and the family gets to make it! LOL Sometimes you get more than one on a birthday (like at a restaurant and they bring you a free piece--that's not your OBC!). I'm sure she just is being kind.

I agree that it's a bit weird. If she wanted it seen as a gift why couldn't he share it at the office if he wanted, after all it was his. I mean had she given him a tie, would you all not think it weird if she then insisted he only wear it on a certain day of the week?

I think the recipient of the gift should be able to do with it what they will.

I think this might be the multiquotiest multiquote I have ever done.

Maybe she's projecting and assumes everyone else in the world suffers through their birthday without a cake.

Possibly a sad projection because no one makes her cake for her birthday.

This is an excellent point. I asked DH if she lives alone, and he said no, she's married with children. But that doesn't necessarily mean that she gets a birthday cake. I think I will bake something for her birthday. And tell DH that she is to share it with the office. :D

I'm not understanding why so many people think it's weird. I think it's very nice of her! She's doing this for EVERYONE in the office? How sweet is that? I bet her feelings would be crushed if people were talking about how weird her sweet gesture is behind her back. I also don't think it's weird she's insisting the birthday person bring it home. While it's more popular a choice to share in the office, I don't find it weird she's baking special treats for birthday employees to take home.

I would understand your feelings more, Rivka, if she only did this for your husband or just a couple/few people. But for everyone? She sounds like she has a very generous and sweet spirit.

I guess what's weird about it, to me, is that I think of a birthday cake as something that people only have one of. (Unless it's a kid who has one at home and then takes one to school, or something.) It seems very weird to have two cakes for one four-person family, on one occasion. So it only makes sense to me if she's thinking that hers would be his birthday cake. Which is totally presumptuous.

Some things that wouldn't seem weird to me:

- She makes a cake for the office, as a whole, to celebrate his birthday. They eat most of it there and she tells him to bring home the leftovers.

- She sends everyone in the office home with a plate of Christmas cookies or Valentine's treats.

- She bakes a cake for the office "for no reason" and, at the end of the day, asks him if he wants to take the leftovers home.

Boxed mix? That makes it stranger. I was expecting her grandmother's special from scratch coconut cake or something similar.

Mmm. That would have put a different cast on the matter, for sure!

I also think that if he were to come home with another woman's home-baked cake he could have done no better than to bring it in a backpack. Well played!

:lol::lol::lol:

I am so not the jealous, suspicious type, nor do I think that he would be that crafty. But this is still hilarious.

And I think it is rude for people to put her down for baking a cake from a mix.

I happen to use those boxed cake mixes and premade icing too. Oh well, more cake for me! Funfetti actually rocks, thank you very much.

I actually have cake from a mix every year for my own birthday, because DH isn't up to making it from scratch. He uses a "rich and moist" spice cake mix (picked out by me; he wouldn't know) and it's very good. I make the icing myself, though, because I can't stand canned icing. Or most bakery icing. I'm really picky about icing.

I bring up the packaged/convenience aspect because it takes away a lot of the explanations people are suggesting - that she loves to bake but doesn't want to eat too many sweets, that she's proud of her baking skills, trying out new recipes, etc.

I think it was a sweet gesture. I think it would be weird if she only did it for your dh.

I would be curious to know if she actually follows through with baking cakes for all of her other co-workers, though, because if she doesn't, I would seriously think she might have a little crush on Rivka's dh.

I admit that I felt better about it after I heard that one of his female coworkers has also gotten a cake. Which she can't eat, because she's an Orthodox Jew, but anyway.

I had to choose the third answer simply because it's a line from one of my very favorite movies ever.

:D I was wondering if anyone would recognize it.

Yes, the insistence on not sharing it at work is odd. Not as weird as my mom's new, male, married, back-out-of-retirement coworker buying her a pearl necklace for Christmas, but still a little weird.

Whoa. That IS weird.

"How much for an oil change?"

"Three dozen Tollhouse cookies."

"Four dozen."

"Four dozen if you include the air filter."

"Deal."

You guys are cracking me up! Awesome.

I think there might still be some at the bottom of Rivka's dh's backpack.

:lol::lol::lol: Fortunately, it was covered up. Hee.

Nice that she made a cake, weird that she insisted on him bringing it home, with him knowing that you'd be baking a cake for home. If it's his cake, it seems like he should have the option of sharing it at the office or sharing it at home, especially when sharing it at the office makes more sense in his case.

I voted weird, but in an effort to see the other side.... how many people are tired of being forced to celebrate birthdays a work for people who aren't friends? Taking the cake home fixes that issue. Maybe she knows the backstory of some who have no family to celebrate, but doesn't want to exclude anyone. Maybe it's an expression of what she would like to happen to her on her birthday.

In the end, I think it shakes out as no harm, no foul. Take the cake home, eat one bite or the whole thing, write a very gracious thank you note - and lavishly praise the cake your wife makes!

I asked DH if she lives alone, and he said no, she's married with children. But that doesn't necessarily mean that she gets a birthday cake. I think I will bake something for her birthday. And tell DH that she is to share it with the office.

I am married with children, and I haven't had a birthday cake in years. When the kids were little, I tried to start a "tradition" of having them help me bake my cake, with the hope that one day they would take over doing it, themselves. (And, if not, it would still be fun to bake with them.) We tried that exactly one year. It turned into a huge argument, with both kids screaming and one in tears. I was close to tears, too. That was the last birthday cake I got, and it was -- what? -- 10 years ago.

In the intervening years, I've dropped a number of hints about how baking is one of my love languages, how much it would mean to me to have someone bake for me, etc.

But, still, no birthday cake.

Still, I did wonder about something like this:

I admit that I felt better about it after I heard that one of his female coworkers has also gotten a cake. Which she can't eat, because she's an Orthodox Jew, but anyway.

Because, if a stranger or even co-worker baked a cake for me, the truth is it would likely go to waste. As a long-time vegan, I wouldn't eat any baked good (or food, really) that I couldn't be sure was free of animal products. Since I wouldn't want to hurt the baker's feelings, I wouldn't want to ask a lot of questions. If I couldn't share it at work (and obscure the fact that I wasn't eating any), I'd take it home and toss it.

I'd feel badly about it, but I'd toss it.

My husband's birthday is tomorrow. He came home from work today with a cake. Apparently, one of his coworkers has decided that this year she's going to bake everyone a cake on their birthday. Not for everyone to enjoy at the office, which I think would be sweet, but for the birthday person to take home. He suggested sharing it around, and she was determined that he should not.

?

Question: Did she use a cake plate or pan that will need to be returned to her?

If so, maybe you can just keep forgetting to return it and she'll decide it's too much trouble to be the office cake baker. ;)

Not weird if she shared it in the office. Definitely weird for insisting it was to be taken home.

I agree. I think it is SUPER weird.

I think he should have thanked her and then gregariously insisted that everybody in the office have some. Just profusely thanking her, laughing and gesturing really grandly while grabbing some napkins, ignoring her commands to take it home.

I also think that if he were to come home with another woman's home-baked cake he could have done no better than to bring it in a backpack. Well played!

:lol:

Just curious...is DH's birthday the first birthday of the year?

That is what I was wondering. I guess it is better that it wasn't, otherwise, I would have thought:

Weird but sweet. Honestly though, unless she's giving you other vibes that suggest she's trying to poach your man, I think you're likely reading too much into the gesture...

If it had been the first time since she decided to bake a cake for everyone, then *I* would have thought she was trying to poach my man.

Did everyone else already know that you're only allowed to have eight smilies in one post? I had to edit a bunch of them out of my multiquotey multiquote.

Yes, I knew that! LOL!! :lol:

:iagree: Unless she knew that a person did not have family or friends, this seems like an odd thing. Why doesn't she want it shared at the office?

Unless.........

is your dh direct competition for something? Maybe she's trying to knock some people off before promotion time.:001_huh: She wouldn't want to poison the whole office.

I'm not understanding why so many people think it's weird. I think it's very nice of her! She's doing this for EVERYONE in the office? How sweet is that? I bet her feelings would be crushed if people were talking about how weird her sweet gesture is behind her back. I also don't think it's weird she's insisting the birthday person bring it home. While it's more popular a choice to share in the office, I don't find it weird she's baking special treats for birthday employees to take home.

I would understand your feelings more, Rivka, if she only did this for your husband or just a couple/few people. But for everyone? She sounds like she has a very generous and sweet spirit.

:iagree::iagree:

Maybe she is just learning to bake and is starting out with boxed mixes.

I vote weird. I asked dh what he thought and he said the same. He also said he probably would have thrown it away or given it away before bringing it home because he knows I make him a cake. We both said it would be fine if it was from a particular older woman whom we really like and is all alone.

There was one of those in a hospital I worked in a couple years ago. Only he was a guy. We had to ask him WHY, of course. He just said it was because he wanted the birthday person to take it home and enjoy with their families. This guy did bake a lot of other things that he brought in to share at work. Eccentric, but sweet. I think he just loved to bake and wanted to share it with the world. Whatever. His cakes were amazing, too.

Hardly anyone bakes these days, so although I would find it totally weird, I think she imagines herself doing something sweet by providing a cake to someone who wouldn't get one, but there is just something distinctly strange about putting yourself in the middle of someone's life -- which is how I think you see it, but maybe she just wants the cake to be the center if the celebration? I don't know.