Menu

Another dessert poll...this one is about chocolate (read my post before voting!)

Which of these chocolate desserts would be your choice?  

1. 1. Which of these chocolate desserts would be your choice?

• Triple Chocolate Overload layer cake
    • Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
    • Gooey Hot Fudge Sundae a la Mode
    • Flourless Chocolate Cake
    • Double-Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
    • Chocolate Silk Pie
    • Chocolate Fondue
    • OTHER--Please tell me what. :-)

If you were having dessert in a moderately nice restaurant, which of these options would you pick?

#1. Triple Chocolate Overload:Chocolate-flecked four layer devil's food cake filled with chocolate mousse, iced with chocolate ganache and drizzled with dark chocolate glaze.

#2. Molten Chocolate Lava Cake: Delicate chocolate cake served warm, filled with oozing bittersweet chocolate sauce.

#3. Gooey Hot Fudge Brownie a la Mode: A gooey, chocolatey freshly baked brownie, served warm, with a scoop of ice cream, homemade hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, and a cherry.

#4. Flourless Chocolate cake: Deeply fudgy flourless chocolate cake glazed with chocolate ganache.

#5. Double Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake: Chocolate cookie crust filled with chocolate cheesecake and studded with chunks of Oreo cookies.

#6. Chocolate Silk Pie: Flaky pastry crust filled with silky chocolate custard and piled with delicately sweetened whipped cream.

#7. Chocolate Fondue: Warm melted chocolate with an assortment of sweet treasures for dipping: fresh strawberries & pineapple, buttery pound cake, and chunks of freshly-baked brownies.

#8. OTHER: Tell me what!

Edited by Julie in CA

I voted fondue, but I think you need more choices that mix fruit with chocolate. Particularly raspberries or strawberries!

We usually have raspberry sauce that we offer with the lava cake, flourless chocolate, or chocolate layer cake. I didn't add it in the descriptions, though I probably should have. Would that help? :bigear:

I voted pie, as it seemed the least heavy.

Second, I would have chose a brownie as the vanilla ice cream would break up the chocolate flavor.

I would have possibly chose differently if there was a fruit option (ie raspberry sauce etc)

I like to have dinner out to relax and let someone else do the cooking. I don't care for chocolate fondue, so while it had fruit, I don't want to 'make my own dessert' so to speak.

I voted fondue, but I think you need more choices that mix fruit with chocolate. Particularly raspberries or strawberries!

:iagree: I would require more fresh fruit to balance the chocolate. Chocolate overloading is what I do when I'm pmsing or horribly sleep deprived. It's not what I want for dessert at a restaurant. I might choose some of the chocolatey options if they were served with fresh fruit. A couple of strawberries can make a big difference :)

Rosie

:iagree: I would require more fresh fruit to balance the chocolate. Chocolate overloading is what I do when I'm pmsing or horribly sleep deprived. It's not what I want for dessert at a restaurant. I might choose some of the chocolatey options if they were served with fresh fruit. A couple of strawberries can make a big difference :)

Rosie

What Rosie said. :iagree:

The closest I could get would be the fondue. So that is what I voted for.

I chose other - I must be a freak of nature not liking chocolate much. :tongue_smilie:They all sound disgustingly rich!! I'm sure they sound disgustingly delicious for most people, though! :D

I would probably be searching the dessert menu for a mini pavlova!!

Edited by Isabella

I chose chocolate fondue, but I had a hard time deciding between that and the molten chocolate lava cake and the chocolate silk pie.

:iagree:Same here.

I chose fondue bc after a big meal i would most likely prefer something light like fruit in chocolate, but the other two listed above would be close seconds.

I voted for the flourless cake - seemed pretty special and not something I'd be likely to bake at home. My second choice would be the fondue, if not too messy. BUT this is only for sharing - I am not big on huge desserts right after a meal. I'd be more likely looking for a lighter flan or creme bulee (no, can't spell it) or nibbles of off someone's cheesecake.

I like the idea of fondue but I don't really care for fruit and chocolate together. If there were only cake bites, cheesecake bites, cookie bites, etc....for dipping then I would be more apt to choose the fondue.

The first option sounds heavenly!

Dawn

I picked the triple chocolate cake because that is what I would *like* best, but in reality, I would order the fondue because I have to be wheat and egg free for my nursling.

I would prefer more fruit and less baked goods with the fondue, especially since I can't eat the baked goods.

If there are no other gluten free desserts on the menu, I would do the flourless cake or fondue, make them gluten free, and advertise them as such.

If there are no other gluten free desserts on the menu, I would do the flourless cake or fondue, make them gluten free, and advertise them as such.

Well, here's the thing...

It's a small town. The people who are gluten-free are educated & aware enough to ask about the flourless chocolate cake, and are told that it is gluten-free.

BUT (here's the weird part), people who are not gluten-free tend not to understand what gluten-free means, and are instead repelled because they think it's "less". Like diet food, or like it's going to have weird ingredients, etc. I don't typically label things according to their allergens on the menu because of that bias. Weird, I know. :001_huh:

Julie's posting a dessert poll--must be getting close to Valentine's Day. :)

And you know, it's just plain cruel. I had to really read all those descriptions, pick one, and then....not get to eat it!

I picked the flourless chocolate cake. I'd like that served with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream and perhaps a creme anglais, please.

It's December. It's really *really* difficult to find nice fresh fruit in December (at least it is here). :001_huh:

In other seasons we happily pair fresh fruit with chocolate, it's just difficult to get good fruit in the off-season, and we try to stick with locally sourced produce whenever possible.

It's December. It's really *really* difficult to find nice fresh fruit in December (at least it is here). :001_huh:

In other seasons we happily pair fresh fruit with chocolate, it's just difficult to get good fruit in the off-season, and we try to stick with locally sourced produce whenever possible.

Julie, you're adorable. I think you meant 'it's winter' not 'it's December'.

Because it's January.

:D

Dang, those prices are cheap. :glare:

With heavy food like that, I would still probably have the flourless cake (a sliver, right?). But I like mine a hair too close to bitter. And the tart coulis would really go well. So that way you just have a few bites and still feel like you had dessert.

I knew California was different, but I didn't realize you were in a different month zone.:001_smile:

Here on the east coast, it is January. And it actually looks and feels like it today. Brr.......

I picked the brownie. Mostly because I have to have something to cut the richness of the chocolate. Ice cream would do that. Fresh fruit is good. The fondue tempted me, but I could see making a mess with that.

:iagree:

I picked that also for mostly the same reasons. Also, the place strikes me as a steakhouse. Steakhouse = casual dining which means brownies & ice cream. Or pie... :001_unsure:

Don't flame me, please, but I am not a big chocolate fan. I would like a lemon or vanilla mousse with fresh berries, or a trifle, or...

We always have non-chocolate desserts on the menu, though I only included chocolate options because that's the item I'm deciding on right now. It's been the flourless chocolate cake for a while and it's time for a change in the chocolate selection. :001_smile:

I picked the flourless cake because I like to push in the direction of fudginess rather than cakiness. The brownie or the molten cake also sounded good.

I make French Silk Pie at home already. Mine has a merainge (sp) crust with walnuts on it, and when I'm feeling like overdoing it it also has whipped cream with kahlua in it on top--but that last part is really gilding the lily.

For another suggestion--how about little tiny handmade chocolate truffles on raspberry or strawberry coulis, drizzled with warm chocolate fudge sauce? Garnished with a few tiny mint leaves and a sliced, fanned, perfect strawberry?

I picked the flourless cake because I like to push in the direction of fudginess rather than cakiness. The brownie or the molten cake also sounded good.

I make French Silk Pie at home already. Mine has a merainge (sp) crust with walnuts on it, and when I'm feeling like overdoing it it also has whipped cream with kahlua in it on top--but that last part is really gilding the lily.

For another suggestion--how about little tiny handmade chocolate truffles on raspberry or strawberry coulis, drizzled with warm chocolate fudge sauce? Garnished with a few tiny mint leaves and a sliced, fanned, perfect strawberry?

This would be completely simple to pull off, right up until the part about the perfect strawberry. It's just so problematic in the restaurant setting. Hard to find consistently good ones, and then hard to keep the right amount in stock without waste. {sigh}