Menu

Does your orthodontist permit parents in the treatment room?

Just took my 8 yo to a new orthodontist and learned that no parents are permitted in the treatment room. Even when the patient is 8 and has never been there before. I have heard of this from dentists (not mine, of course), but I've not heard of an orthodontist with this policy.

I explained that this was not acceptable and walked out, but I am wondering if this is common among orthodontists. My 14 yo has braces from a different ortho, and that has never been his policy, but what is typical?

Terri

Nope my son's orthodontist is awesome. He's actually got his "treatment rooms" set up so it's one big open room with 6 stations and right in the middle are big comfy overstuffed chairs for the parents to hang out in while their kids are getting stuff changed. The only private rooms are the ones for consults for before the kids get braces but they have plenty of chairs so the parents/siblings can come in with the patient. Then again, like I said my son's ortho is awesome and has a Thomas the Tank Engine table and playstation 3 the kids can use while we're waiting or that we can hang out an use while oldest is in the treatment area.

Nope my son's orthodontist is awesome. He's actually got his "treatment rooms" set up so it's one big open room with 6 stations and right in the middle are big comfy overstuffed chairs for the parents to hang out in while their kids are getting stuff changed. The only private rooms are the ones for consults for before the kids get braces but they have plenty of chairs so the parents/siblings can come in with the patient. Then again, like I said my son's ortho is awesome and has a Thomas the Tank Engine table and playstation 3 the kids can use while we're waiting or that we can hang out an use while oldest is in the treatment area.

Ours sounds very similar - open rooms with seating for family in each "room" (along with other very family friendly and fun policies - they give tickets out things like being on time, no broken brackets, etc., and about 2x a year, give away a big prize, like an Ipad, laptop, TV).

If you do a search on these boards, you'll see that it is common enough that many of us have had the same problem that you have with it. And we've walked out too. There are dentists and orthodontists who do allow parents though and those are the ones we go to.

Yep. We only choose ones that allow parents and siblings in the rooms. No compromise on this policy for us.

Just took my 8 yo to a new orthodontist and learned that no parents are permitted in the treatment room. Even when the patient is 8 and has never been there before. I have heard of this from dentists (not mine, of course), but I've not heard of an orthodontist with this policy.

I explained that this was not acceptable and walked out, but I am wondering if this is common among orthodontists. My 14 yo has braces from a different ortho, and that has never been his policy, but what is typical?

Terri

No, not for me. I went back every single time when they were young. I even go back now with a 15 year old IF I have a question, because the doctors never, ever speak to the parent once the check has cleared. That annoys me.

Our office is totally about doing what makes the kids (not the parents) comfortable.

At our orthodontist, all of the patients are at stations in one huge room. There is a chair for one parent and the rest have to stand. We all come and go as we please from the waiting room. Sometimes my kids will go and sit with one of my sons and I will stay in the waiting room. They are great about you asking questions of any kind. The orthodontist will joke with all of the kids. I didn't realize that all orthodontists aren't like this. Our dentist will let us roam in and out of the treatment rooms also.

Ours allows parents in the treatment rooms, though we choose to use the waiting room. I really like and trust our ortho, but if DD wanted me to come back with her I would. Our ortho actually has children that home school.

Our dentist also allows the parents to come back. Again, we choose not to, but we can.

For me, I feel like when it's FORBIDDEN is when I start to raise an eyebrow. It's not negotiable for me. It's now about standing there, hovering, etc, it's about feeling welcome and like they aren't hiding anything.

At our ortho, parents don't typically go back with the kids beyond the initial visits, but make exceptions where necessary. When my middle son who had sensory issues first visited the ortho, I asked if I could be there as support to him. I explained his issues and they were OK with that, especially when I emphasized that it would make him more compliant. But, they really didn't have room to have every parent back there. There is one big room with several treatment chairs with techs working on different patients. The orthodontist often bounces back and forth between patients. Once my son was comfortable with the routine, I didn't need to be in the room anymore, as I was in the way.

With the dentist, I found one who would allow me to be in the room until they felt I wasn't needed. They also knew not to do anything other than what we had pre-arranged (no flouride ever, no x-rays without discussing it ahead of time.) I haven't needed to be back with my kids in quite a few years and I trust the dental office we go to. If my kids needed more than just a cleaning, I would be there if they needed me.

ETA: Our dentist always checks back with me after the exam. He rarely has anything to say other than to keep doing what we are doing. If he had issues to discuss, he would bring me back to the treatment room to show me and discuss options. The ortho tech checks in with the parents at each visit to update them on progress and to tell when they need another appointment. We are soon to be done with the ortho as ds15 gets his braces off next month (WOO HOO!) So far, it doesn't look like dd will need them. Both dh and I are scratching our heads on that one as we both needed extensive ortho work as kids.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

Refused to see several dentists who had this policy. Given the multiple scandals with overzealous and fraudulant treatment, and molestation, I wouldn't do it. Plus I go with my kids to the doctor, so I don't see what makes the dentist special. Took me forever to find one, though. In general, I find certain immigrant doctors are way more understanding about why kids want their parent.

I saw an orthodontist as a teen, and I have no memory of my mom being around for all the appts, but she definitely was for some, and there was always a female assistant around.

My current orthodontist is fine with parents going back as long as there aren't siblings tagging along, too (there have been incidents with roaming siblings). My one in orthodontic treatment at the moment is 13, and having me with him actually feeds his anxiety, so I stay out anyway. The doctor is the dad of one of his scout friends, though, one of the dads who goes on quite a few of the campouts, so ds is pretty comfortable with him. When ds and dd had early phase orthodontia the last place we lived, I'd go back and bring my littlest, who stayed on my lap and chattered to the technicians and doctor -- she entertained them so much that they gave her a shirt of her own just like the ones they gave the patients.

My ortho was fine with both me and and her sister going back (he has rooms, small but separate). The few times she stayed in the waiting room, they asked if she was sure she didn't want to come in.

He generally talks about what he is seeing and thinking as he goes along. If he waited till the end, I'd feel like he was giving more of a general summary and not being as thorough, kwim?

When I balked at the requirement that I leave, the woman started mumbling about OSHA regulations. OSHA??? I wanted to ask her, "Do you have a crane back here?" But I didn't. I was nice, didn't make a scene, but she still looked at me like I had two heads.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. Thanks to previous threads here, I might have thought to ask before going to a new dentist, but for some reason, it never occurred to me that an established orthodontist would have this policy. Thankfully, I live in an area with plenty of orthodontists, and I have made an appointment with another who, according to my neighbor, has no such policy.

Terri

Yes, my ortho not only allows parents to accompany their kids but actively encourages it. The treatment area is set up to accommodate parents at every station. After a very bad experience with my children's last dentist I absolutely refuse to take them to anyone who will not allow me to accompany them to the back if I want to.

Ours sounds very similar - open rooms with seating for family in each "room" (along with other very family friendly and fun policies - they give tickets out things like being on time, no broken brackets, etc., and about 2x a year, give away a big prize, like an Ipad, laptop, TV).

Our gives "Bivens Bucks" for those things (that's part of the ortho's name) and the kids can save up for things like t-shirts, iTunes gift cards, or even and iPod.

Allowed, not required. Dentist and ortho are brothers in the same practice, and the treatment room for ortho is an open area with a seating area next to it for parents. The dentist has treatment rooms with chairs for parents to be there with kids. They do all my kids at once in the same room. We all squish in there. LOL They are good though. They examine the littlest ones on the parent's lap (2 and under).

The orthodontist prefers to not have parents in the treatment area.

But they will come and get a parent anytime a child asks for one. Really, I was asked to go back once when dd13 (then 12) asked for me. I know some dentists/orthodontists say this and don't mean it. This one DOES!

And they will let me go back and see/talk to the orthodontist whenever I have questions. I have done this before too. I had questions about a baby tooth not moving and I was invited back and all was explained.

The area has four (I think, maybe six?) chairs and not enough room for more people in the back. We are just finishing two years of braces and didn't have any issues.

We've had two different orthodontists, both of whom let parents observe, and provide a parent chair by each patient chair. Depending on what was being done, sometimes we watched and sometimes we drifted back to the waiting room so younger dd could play the games.

My oldest dd was very nervous about impressions and x-rays. Her ortho suggested we observe those from out of dd's visual range to help her stay more calm. The dentist suggested the same thing when that dd received a filling. Dh stood in the hallway for the whole procedure because I gave him strict instructions to stay with dd. :lol:

Ours allows parents in the treatment rooms, though we choose to use the waiting room. I really like and trust our ortho, but if DD wanted me to come back with her I would. Our ortho actually has children that home school.

Our dentist also allows the parents to come back. Again, we choose not to, but we can.

For me, I feel like when it's FORBIDDEN is when I start to raise an eyebrow. It's not negotiable for me. It's now about standing there, hovering, etc, it's about feeling welcome and like they aren't hiding anything.

:iagree: Exactly this.

So far the only time I have not been in a room with my kids getting dental work done is when they were put out for dental surgery. Anything else I am right there and consulted every step of the way. I would not allow them to take my child in a room without me there. (If it was a long communal type room(like my ortho had when I was a teen - 8 chairs in arow nearly everyone full) and my child wanted to go alone I would allow it) But as a general rule if an ortho did not allow it I would do like you did and take my business elsewhere.

Parents don't go back with the kids at either our dentist or orthodontist. I am obviously in the minority but I don't have a problem with it. Both would get me if there was a problem but the kids have never had a problem. At the dentist, I am called back at the end and discuss what was found/not found by the dentist. The ortho or the tech always comes out to talk to me at the end of the session. I personally am seriously dentist phobic and I don't want that to rub off on my kids. I think they are better off without me in there with them.

ETA: For Boo-Boo's very first dental visit when she was 2.5-3, I was asked to go back with her and hold her while the dentist looked at her teeth. It was never necessary again.