Menu

Favorite Christmas music albums--my collection's pretty thin

Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Gene Autry.....and I really shouldn't admit this but we always listened to Elvis' Christmas album growing up and it's one of my favorites, too.

Now, if you're wanting classier stuff, I won't be of much help.

Edited by Trresh

Manheim Steamroller albums

John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas

Amy Grant's (I think she has two)

Trisha Yearwood's The Sweetest Gift

Jimyy Buffet's Christmas Island (we live in FL)

Lonestar's This Christmas Time

We also really like the "Very Special Christmas" albums that come out every year.

Il Divo

Michael Buble

Josh Groban

The Carpenters

von Trapp Children Christmas

Celtic Woman Christmas

Luis Miguel (all in Spanish but very fun and we love it!)

Straight No Chaser- all a capela and fun to listen to

And I second all the older singers too- Crosby, etc.:D Have fun!

I bet nobody else has this one . . . Christmas on the Ponderosa (at least I think that's what it's called!) It was an album I grew up with made by the actors who played in the TV show Bonanza - Pa, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe!

I also like Christmas with the Muppets and John Denver.

How about Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers Christmas album?

For the modern stuff, I also like Josh Grobin's Noel cd.

some of my current favorites are (I prefer religious/tradtional christmas music):

Choir of King's College, Cambridge - Best Loved Christmas Carols (they had some real oldies too)

Handel's Messiah

more traditional:

Carpenter's - Christmas Portrait

Our Favorite Things: Christmas in Vienna - Placido Domingo, Charlette Church, Vanessa Williams, Tony Bennett

My disabled dd loves music--it calms her when she is fussy. These two are her absolute favorites (and thus my favorites too):

Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song. His voice is just so gentle and soothing.

Diana Krall's Christmas Songs. Dd listens to a lot of Diana Krall. She's got good taste in music!

We have a lot of instrumental/jazzy Christmas CDs too--Mannheim Steamroller, GRP Christmas volumes 1,2, and 3, etc.

I bet nobody else has this one . . . Christmas on the Ponderosa (at least I think that's what it's called!) It was an album I grew up with made by the actors who played in the TV show Bonanza - Pa, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe!

:lol: That's funny!!

I have A Walton's Christmas: Together Again. The members of the cast made the recordings on this one, too. Jon Walmsley (Jason Walton) was an accomplished musician so that helped.......some.

Peaceful Christmas. Just got this one, and I love it. No singing, just peaceful music. The sort of thing that adds a lovely background without intruding. Exactly what I need to lower my holiday stress level. Beautiful.

I have this one also & I love it!

Manheim Steamroller albums

Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Gene Autry.....and I really shouldn't admit this but we always listened to Elvis' Christmas album growing up and it's one of my favorites, too.

Johnny Mathis (grew up with this one)

Grew up on Johnny Mathis & as far as I'm concerned it's not Christmas without him!:lol:

Martina McBride's White ChristmasOne of my favorites!

Burl Ives' Have a Holly Jolly Christmas

I also love the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer soundtrack

Clay Aiken

I have several other instrumental Christmas cds, too.

I put them all in a playlist on my ipod & hit shuffle. AHHHH!

I forgot about Charlie Brown Christmas - I love Vince Guaraldi!

And, I also forgot to mention David Crowder Band's new Christmas album Oh For Joy. The boys and I have already listened to it a few times and really like it.

I should note, too, now that I am typing two-handed and relatively without interruption, that I'd add Dean Martin to the list. (Dean Martin and Johnny Mathis drive my dh nuts ... he tolerates my Christmas music, I agree to not start playing it with him home until after Thanksgiving, and I try to make sure there is a good mix of music so it's not all Johnny and Dean all the time. :lol: )

Benny Grunch & Da Bunch, The 12 Yats of Christmas

The title song is awesome, of course, but it also includes family favorites like Santa and his Reindeer Used to Live Rite Here, Norris the Nocturnal Nutria, I Got a Used Kazoo for Christmas, The Elves Finally Rap, and If I Won Da Lottry for Christmas.

(If you don't live near New Orleans and want to buy this, or even just read the lyrics, try their website.)

Peaceful Christmas. Just got this one, and I love it. No singing, just peaceful music. The sort of thing that adds a lovely background without intruding. Exactly what I need to lower my holiday stress level. Beautiful.

This has always been One of my ABSOLUTE favorites! Can't recommend it highly enough.

Also, Kathy Mattea's Christmas album. I can't remember the title right now. All her original songs and religious. (I know, you're shocked! Lol!) But the songs just speak to me and her voice is gorgeous. Oh. Wait! Just thought of the title. "Good News."

Astrid

Edited by astrid

I absolutely love Christmas music! I have a lot of albums that I like. My top 2 all time favorites are...

1. Amy Grant's "A Christmas to Remember"

2. Celine Dion "These are the Special Times"

I love all of the Amy Grant Christmas CDs. I also love Michael McLean's "Forgotten Carols." (The Forgotten Carols is actually a play, the CD has all the songs from the play. The play is available on DVD. Watching the DVD is one of our family Christmas traditions:D). All of the Manheim Steamroller Christmas CDs as well as all of the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas CDs. I could go on and on, but I will stop there!:D

Oh my goodness. One of our family's favorites is called "Alfred Nargo: Christmas Songs In English." My husband bought it when he was 19 from a Navajo man who was selling it out of his trunk at a flea market. This poor man doesn't sing on key, he has no sense of timing (often coming in early and holding notes for awkwardly long periods of time) and his accompaniment sounds like it came pre-recorded on a $60 keyboard. It is seriously amazing and we laugh so hard. We always listen to it while we put up the tree. Here's a link to it on Grooveshark in case you're curious and want to hear a sample. When asked, my husband said his favorite was "We Three Kings maybe? It is like asking me to pick my favorite child."

Also, Kathy Mattea's Christmas album. I can't remember the title right now. All her original songs and religious. (I know, you're shocked! Lol!) But the songs just speak to me and her voice is gorgeous. Oh. Wait! Just thought of the title. "Good News."

Astrid

:iagree: Love this one :)

Oh my goodness. One of our family's favorites is called "Alfred Nargo: Christmas Songs In English." My husband bought it when he was 19 from a Navajo man who was selling it out of his trunk at a flea market. This poor man doesn't sing on key, he has no sense of timing (often coming in early and holding notes for awkwardly long periods of time) and his accompaniment sounds like it came pre-recorded on a $60 keyboard. It is seriously amazing and we laugh so hard. We always listen to it while we put up the tree. Here's a link to it on Grooveshark in case you're curious and want to hear a sample. When asked, my husband said his favorite was "We Three Kings maybe? It is like asking me to pick my favorite child."

Oh, man!! That's fantastic!! My kids are like 'What is that!' They wanna hear more!

ETA: Do you think I used enough exclamation marks?

The Philadelphia Brass Christmas album is one I absolutely cannot live without. I also love the Canadian Brass one. I also love many orchestral, chamber group, and choral collections. And the usual suspects like Sinatra. I can't trim my tree without Charlie Brown. A funny one I really enjoy is a Klezmer Nutcracker. A few of the Christmas collections, like Now That's What I Call Christmas, have good selections.

Ella Wishes you a Swingin Christmas

Christmas with the Rat Pack

Brian Setzer's Boogie Woogie Christmas

A Very Special Christmas 1

The Blind Boys of Alabama, Go Tell it on the Mountain

(the vid is awful but it's not on hulu anymore) Julian Casablancas *swoon*

John Denver and the Muppets Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Dean Martin, My Kind of Christmas

A Jolly Christmas by Frank Sinatra

Enya, And Winter Came

Eric Whitacre, Light and Gold

The Cambridge Singers Christmas Album (I love Gabriels's Message on this one)

If you like church music, I love Polyphony

(the Ramones are fun, but this is entirely reverential)

(not as good as
in Light and Gold, but still brilliant)

no, I don't have a problem with Christmas music at all....

Edited by justamouse

This has always been One of my ABSOLUTE favorites! Can't recommend it highly enough.

Astrid

:iagree: It is one of the first ones I put in the CD player.

DAvid Foster's Christmas Album

TSO albums