Menu

Where is your happy place??

Anyone familiar with Gone With the Wind? Scarlett O'Hara is from a plantation called Tara, and she kind of draws her strength from her childhood home. When life gets rough she periodically goes back and it recharges her for the battle ahead. Anyone out there have a place, an actual physical place, that does that for you? That just by seeing a picture of it, or thinking about the last time you were there recharges your spirit a bit? I do...

The bathtub. I'm serious.

I have turned that shut door in the bathroom into a whole other world. You open that door if you have a severed foot. You do NOT open the door if your brother took your doll or that cat gacked up or whatever.

There are times I go up there during the day knowing I cannot have a bath at that particular moment but I know that it is coming. I might pick a bath bomb or spend some time figuring out what treatment I'll engage in - hair masque? Facial? And I feel calmer.

That reminds me, I need more bath stuff. :lol:

Anyone familiar with Gone With the Wind? Scarlett O'Hara is from a plantation called Tara, and she kind of draws her strength from her childhood home. When life gets rough she periodically goes back and it recharges her for the battle ahead. Anyone out there have a place, an actual physical place, that does that for you? That just by seeing a picture of it, or thinking about the last time you were there recharges your spirit a bit? I do...

My wing-backed chair in our sunroom.

:)

It depends. I love to dream about purchasing my childhood home. I absolutely loved it there! I spent SO MUCH time in the woods, or with friends, or with friends exploring the woods. Living in the desert now, I really miss that! Which is why, since we really need a larger home anyway, I'm looking in a town that has wooded areas! ;)

Sometimes, though, since I don't have easy access to that kind of wooded area here, an hour browsing through the clearance section at Half Price Books or the book section at a thrift store calms me.

I do have certain physical locations where it felt like my soul just belonged. But visits to that place are very, very infrequent.

My daily happy place is in my car with my Bible, alone and without interruption. I could not live these days especially without God meeting me here every day and filling me. I can then go on with my day, teaching and mothering and decision-making.

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

I do love the salt air,

The ocean, the beach, is my happiest happy place.

"Salt air it ain't thin. It can stick right to your skin and make you feel fine. Makes you feel fiiiine." ~Jimmy Buffett, Tin Cup Chalice

I true to my Aquarian zodiac sign
Scorpio (me) is a water sign too. I do love the water.

If I can't get away, then being lost in a book is also a happy place.

Anywhere on the central or northern California Coast (Dillon Beach, Bodega Bay, Cambria, Montana De Oro, etc.) watching the sunset.

Sitting on the balcony of a Disney resort sipping coffee watching the sun rise.

Anywhere with DH.

Anywhere with my kids when they are not fighting with each other :)

what a great question! once upon a time, many years ago, i got to swim in a place called champagne pond with sea turtles. i visit it in my mind as a way of calming myself when i'm upset or angry. there have been days with my dMIL when i've gone to champagne pond a dozen times or more ;) (this was an idea from Naomi Drew's Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids.... we all have a chosen "peaceful place" where we can go in our minds when we need to calm down.....)

what a gift that question is to me this morning!

ann

Oh yes- Oahu... ahhhhh

We 4wd'ed in a rented Jeep to the northernmost point of the island. We were the only two people there. Sunset with the albatross and monk seals, seeing humpback whales spout in the distance.

It was amazing.....

Talk about a happy place.....

Yes, my family has owned a cottage on a local Lake for the past 80 years and that is my place. The moment I see that lake all my stress melts away and I am just a kid again swimming, canoeing and having fun with my parents, grandparents and cousins. Thankfully my parents now live there year round so I get to go there alot :001_smile: I'm also thankful that my kids love the lake as much as I do...I'm sure it makes my grandmother smile in heaven to see her great grandchildren love the lake as much as she did.

The bottom of a good (and large) margarita. :lol:

Seriously, there are definitely a few physical places I would call happy places...a few places in the mountains (of VA or NC) come to mind. I'm not much of a beach person, but I know of a quiet little black-sand beach on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica that I could disappear to for a few years or so. :)

Reading about the diversity of everyone's favorite places is interesting. Compared to a lot of folks here, the thought of anything Disney has the opposite reaction for me! Just the word makes me cringe. I think I was 8 when I told my parents very politely to never bring me to that place again. :tongue_smilie:

Mine's right here. A deep breath, and ahhhh. While Sunday morning is the best, any evening when it's getting dark and the candles are lit and the evening prayers being said is peace-inducing and wonderful.

After that, the front of a Puget Sound going ferry on a beautiful day.

Edited by milovaný

Looking at any large body of water. I'm fortunate to live a couple blocks from the Atlantic.

Which is why I need to be your neighbor! I LOVE water. We live two blocks from the lake here, but it's just not close enough. I love the salty air and listening to the waves.

I'm not a beach person, but the sound of water relaxes me.

Mine is silly, I guess. It's Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. I guess it's all the happy memories I have from little up, but just looking at it makes me teary eyed.

I'm all choked up just thinking about it. I love that first view as you first walk into the park.

Whoops, too big, trying a different one!

Lanikai2.jpg

And, yes, I have a beautiful framed photo of this beach!

Where is this? That color is beautiful. Reminds me of Cabo!

The bottom of a good (and large) margarita. :lol:

:

:lol:

Mine happy places are the water and WDW, so we now combine them with Disney cruises!!!

Disney World!

I had been there as a child and teenager; but like many other things in life, it was a totally different experience when I took my children. Dh and I took our first child when she was 2 1/2. She was a very fussy, high-needs child. But, at DW she was so calm, quiet, and relaxed. It was like she had been bored her whole life, and now she was amused. Ha ha ha!

We've been back 5 more times since then. It is always such an amazing time for our little family to be transported to a pretend world where we have no cares, and we're just being together.

I don't get this view very often, usually only in the winter when the air is clear, but we can see the highest peaks of the Sierra Nevada, all snow covered and it is just magnificent. Makes me catch my breath every time I see it and I've live here all my life. That recharges me.

I love being in water. My dh hates it so we don't ever go to the beach. I did take my younger 2 for 1.5 days this past summer--had not been in years. I teach swimming and at different times my main work out has been swimming. Since the beach is out, I have to have a pool. never in my life have I not lived walking distance to an outdoor pool. There are a few indoor options for the winter near me. Dh say that I'm nicer if I've been to the pool regularly whether for playing with my own dc, working out or teaching. I guess I have to immerse myself in water regularly--bath tub is not big enough to get the feeling for me. Really I wish I had a beach. Maybe I could live in south Florida when I grow up.

I'm not a water girl, although I love the lake or any beach. My happy places involve gardens, sunshine, and fresh air.

I have a beautiful garden in the back corner of our acre...trees, an arch, a path, roses, daisies, horse themed art, and a swing. It is a lovely place to swing, pray, think, and dream.

Other than that, I love the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle. We used to live near the south rim. I LOVED walking, climbing, and horseback riding in and around the canyons.