Menu

Do you ever scream at your spouse in public??

Oh yes, on a regular basis! Seriously...maybe they grew up in homes like that and it's normal to them?

If there are kids involved, I feel badly for them. My uncle and his girlfriend are like that. I've always felt badly for my little cousins. They are super smart boys and I hope somewhere along the line the cycle stops.

Our neighbors get into major fights but it is usually the wife and her sister. They literally slug it out right in the street. The husbands just sit there like it is a show.

I can't imagine acting that way with ANYONE.

Edited by Daisy

I don't get how they don't look around and think, "Dang, we're the only ones who are ever out here yelling at midnight. Maybe we ain't normal."

:lol: :001_huh: It isn't funny that your neighbors fight like that, but your comment made me laugh out loud.

Dh don't ever scream at each other. We used to have neighbors that did. A couple of times I went over and brought their toddler daughter to our house. I can't imagine growing up listening to that. How scary. :confused:

We had neighbors like that at our previous house. I almost called the cops on them one night. Nothing like waking up to the sound of things being thrown and heavy cussing. And the poor little girl that was standing in their yard watching it all :glare:

I don't know what some people think...oh wait...they don't.

Do you ever scream at your spouse in public??

Ugh. No. I wouldn't even scream at my husband in private.

I did grow up next to a family that was constantly yelling at each other, though. One of the girls and I were friends, but I really felt uncomfortable at her house.

They never seemed to ask simple, polite questions of each other, rather they yelled accusations.

Instead of, "Will you do me a favor and take this trash bag out to the bin?" the kids were more likely to hear, "****IT, KID! YOU KNOW I WANT THE TRASH TAKEN OUT BEFORE I GET HOME ON WEDNESDAYS!!"

Cause my neighbors do. In the street. In the middle of the night. Regularly. I don't get how they don't look around and think, "Dang, we're the only ones who are ever out here yelling at midnight. Maybe we ain't normal."

:lol:

No. Dh and I are rather bland; we don't disagree much, and never ever in public. And I make it a habit never to scream at anyone.

Heck no, I used to be mortified when my parents would argue in public. DH rarely get into heated arguments enough to raise our voices, but when we do, we do it at home.

Next time your neighbors fight, you should drolly tell them, "Keep on keeping it classy, folks."

Heck no, I used to be mortified when my parents would argue in public. DH rarely get into heated arguments enough to raise our voices, but when we do, we do it at home.

Next time your neighbors fight, you should drolly tell them, "Keep on keeping it classy, folks."

I think you mean "klassy".

No, I don't.

I do have to ask: where do you live and is there possibly a cultural issue at play here. We used to have neighbours that did this regularly across the street from us. You could tell they loved each other, but they had issues and they worked them out very publicly and with loads of cursing. (we finally moved)

Cause my neighbors do. In the street. In the middle of the night. Regularly. I don't get how they don't look around and think, "Dang, we're the only ones who are ever out here yelling at midnight. Maybe we ain't normal."

:lol::lol::lol:

Have they always done this or has the marriage just disintigrated to this?

Maybe once or twice our "loud disagreement" carried over into the front yard, but we usually catch ourselves and take it back inside. We don't disagree often so when we do it is usually big. We generally have it sorted by the time we go to bed though ;)

No, not screamed loudly. I didn't have a good role model for how to handle anger. In my first marriage, I used the technique I learned from my mom where I would step closely to the person that made me angry and do a sort of hiss/whisper combination. My husband now taught me how to handle that sort of anger very early on in our relationship. We never scream at each other. Not only does it not look klassy, it likely won't solve anything. I don't see how screaming results in a peaceful resolution, even if one party just gives in to the other. It seems like it would result in resentment.

I don't get how they don't look around and think, "Dang, we're the only ones who are ever out here yelling at midnight. Maybe we ain't normal."

:lol: Oh my goodness... this made me laugh. I have never screamed at my husband in public... well, really anywhere for that matter.

Ok, I want to go out to dinner with you both and watch it. Does that make me klassier or less klassy? :lol:

It happens infrequently so you'd be sitting thru quite a few dinners before you might see something. :lol:

But had you been at a tailgating party last year you'd have heard my angry raised voice.

We do this thing we call "the checklist" to make sure we bring everything when we are going somewhere with a bunch of stuff. He assured me everything was packed and then when we did the checklist "taco dip" got a hearty verbal "CHECK!" from DH as he was reviewing the contents of the cooler.

We got to the party...no taco dip. I was angry. I was disappointed. I was stressed. I felt unappreciated. DH didn't care because he could take or leave taco dip...even tho' I'd left an entire section WITHOUT sour cream for him. I told him how I felt. I wasn't screaming but I wasn't using a conversational tone either.

Like Parrothead said, there's a difference between yellling and screaming (though, my mother would say that I'm "screaming at her" when I'm actually just passionately explaining something - and that makes me want to scream LOL).

In public, never, ever, ever, ever. No yelling or screaming. In private...we've had some loud arguments, but I can count the number of times we or one of us really lost it on one hand (maybe twice?). Even then, screaming...no.

Dh and I do not scream at one another but my grandparents did. They didn't care what time it was or who was around but they were also crazy about each other. Seriously, I've never seen/heard anything like it since she died. She died 25 years before grandpa and he never even looked at another woman. He always said he was just waiting to go home to her.

I don't argue or get visibly angry at all with my husband in public. He once snapped at me at a family gathering and I left the room, extremely hurt and embarrassed and he was very apologetic afterward.

We've had some heated fights in private, but we don't really yell at each other. I will admit it's gotten nasty a couple times, and that I'm the meaner one. :glare: :tongue_smilie:

I just have a strong belief in not fighting in front of other people. I will calmly ask if I can talk to my husband in private for moment if I have something I must say to him right now.

Grats! And I will almost certainly regret asking this but... Silent Birthers? :confused:

I just made that name up :lol: but there was quite a crockpotty thread about how not screaming during labor was the BEST way to go. And at one point someone wrote who knew there was a WTM way to give birth (no screaming.)

No, never. We don't yell or scream at each other in private either. We tend to go the other way and get quietly angry.

I know dd and I have talked about this recently. She was at a friend's house when the parents became angry with each other and started yelling. It was quite uncomfortable for her and the few friends that were there. I was really surprised to find out that they would do that when there were guests in the home.

I guess people deal with things differently, but I prefer to keep things private and would feel that I embarrassed myself if everyone was listening to an arguement or disagreement that dh and I had.

No. Never.

And yes, I would definitely call the cops on someone engaging in that behavior otherwise they'll never learn it's unacceptable. Also I would want some sort of speed bump in place before it escalates to domestic abuse. (Yes--I've seen it escalate to blows in a neighbor's yard in our home in the city.)

This thread reminds me of the WTM Silent Birthers Thread.
Oh, I remember that thread! :lol: It got my blood pressure up for sure. :tongue_smilie:

To the OP - never, even in private. But we live in a neighborhood where it's a norm to "express" yourself like that. We're very Klassy here. :glare:

Um, no. Though it is possible that in summer, when everyone has the windows open, my neighbors have heard a very pointed "are you being deliberately obstuse?"

I have also been known to bend over very close to the face of an unruly child and stage whisper "do NOT make me peel off my human face in this store."

I make it a point to not scream at people in public. And I'm a yeller.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

That would be absolutely unthinkable.