Menu

My dog and my grandma both died last night...

Peela

This is an intense time of endings and beginnings for me and I may as well share some of it here.

Dh and I are separating....fairly amicably. We love each other. I don't want to live with him. I won't go into the story. I am ok and feeling positive for the future. The kids are ok too. It is hard but real.

As we are in this transition and the kids and I are still here, while looking for a new home for us....our beautiful family dog died last night. Talk about touch on an ocean of grief for everyone. She had been sick with bladder cancer for quite a while...and we knew she was dying...but it was still a bit of a shock- yesterday morning she was still walking around.

I didnt sleep well, and at 6.30am the phone rang- mum telling me that Grandma had died early this morning. That was sort of expected too but you just never know exactly when, and on top of the dog...well, you can imagine. I was very close to my grandma...I am the oldest grandchild and she doted on me. She had Alzheimers for quite a while and long since lost the capacity to communicate well...but now she is gone I can connect more with how she used to be before she lost her memory and previous personality. She was the family matriarch- it is the end of an era. I am flying over east for the funeral, and my cousins are flying in too- which we wouldn't do for our other grandparents.

So....wow. What a week. So much change. I feel raw but these were not unexpected deaths, although the timing is unusual. And my marriage ending is not so unexpected either- I haven't shared much here about it. Its just strange how things line up.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry.

I'm at the beginning of the Alzheimers stage with my grandmother and I know exactly what you mean about being hoping to be able to connect more with her "real" personality before the disease took over.

:grouphug::grouphug: I'm not good with words so I'll just hug. :grouphug::grouphug: