Menu

Shameless brag but I am just so !*%# proud!

My daughter (senior in high school) came home and told me that she was sitting at lunch with a few of her friends when a student who is mentally challenged came up and asked if he could sit with her. Mikey has a crush on her and it is quite obvious when he is around her. Sometimes his aide has to intervene because he gets a bit touchy/feely with her, but my daughter shows a lot of patience with him. He sat down and some of her friends starting rolling their eyes at her, etc., generally trying to be "too cool" for this whole thing.

Then my dd noticed another mentally challenged student named Tony holding his tray and going up to different tables, asking if he could sit there. Every table said there was no room, or that any open chairs were being held for someone. Maybe this was actually the case, but as my dd said, "Really? You couldn't make room for one more??"

Finally he went and sat down at a table by himself at the other end of the cafeteria. My dd got really mad and made her way across the cafeteria to him. The cafeteria gets pretty crowded so she had to work her way between tables and ask people to move in their chairs and such, so she was definitely noticed. She went up to Tony and asked him if he would like to join her and Mikey and her other friends at their table. She said he was so happy when he came over.

Of course, now her friends were really rolling their eyes, and after lunch one girl said "why did you invite them over?" They know that sometimes this type of stuff can be social suicide because who you sit with at lunch is a BIG DEAL and everyone watches who sits with who.

My daughter turned to her and said "Because mean people suck. And every day I try my best not to suck."

I told her that every day I am proud of her academic and social accomplishments, but that nothing she could ever do would make me more proud then when she is kind.

Aww thank you all so much! I am tearing up again reading the responses.

Parenting has got to be the hardest, most thankless, most stressful job in the world. But moments where our kids shine makes it all worth it.

She did say that one of the teachers who was in the cafeteria smiled at her in acknowledgment as she was working her way back to her table, so at least someone gave her some positive feedback!

That is awesome! I teach the same to my kids. My daughter is the same way and there are a number of girls who find it better to remain 'cool' than be her friend. Woe to them I tell my daughter. She recently befriended a sweet girl at church who is the sister of another girl, but the girl is not 'popular' among the others because she is different from them. My dd doesn't care. She knows how it feels to be on the outside.

I wanna be like your dd when I grow up :D That really made me tear up, I can put myself in the mother's shoes of that boy when he got home and announced he was INVITED to sit at a lunch table with the other kids. I know for me personally that would have reduced me to a blubbering mess, as a mom of sn kids, I know when they are out I want so badly for them to be accepted. You dd so does not suck, she rocks!

I wanna be like your dd when I grow up That really made me tear up, I can put myself in the mother's shoes of that boy when he got home and announced he was INVITED to sit at a lunch table with the other kids. I know for me personally that would have reduced me to a blubbering mess, as a mom of sn kids, I know when they are out I want so badly for them to be accepted. You dd so does not suck, she rocks!

I always tell me daughters this. That as a mother, the biggest heartache you can have is when your child is experiencing sorrow. And to have something good happen so the mother can know that not every moment is an uphill battle ..... that chokes me up.

And I want to be like my daughter too! I never had that much self-confidence or sense of right vs. wrong at 16. Oh, the places she will go! :crying:

Of course' date=' now her friends were really rolling their eyes, and after lunch one girl said "why did you invite them over?" They know that sometimes this type of stuff can be social suicide because who you sit with at lunch is a BIG DEAL and everyone watches who sits with who.

My daughter turned to her and said "Because mean people suck. And every day I try my best not to suck."

I told her that every day I am proud of her academic and social accomplishments, but that nothing she could ever do would make me more proud then when she is kind.[/quote']

WOW. I'm not a person who is likely to tear up over stories I read online, but this really touched me. I have tears in my eyes.

You're raising a wonderful human being. Good job, Mom!

Lisa

But moments where our kids shine makes it all worth it.

She did say that one of the teachers who was in the cafeteria smiled at her in acknowledgment as she was working her way back to her table' date=' so at least [i']someone[/i] gave her some positive feedback!

Your daughter may have made the biggest impact on someone not even at her table. The boy that sat w/ them, and the one she 'fetched' will each tell their friends that she was nice to them. In places where bullying is not curtailed, or is more subtle, that statement alone can make the difference in a teen's life.

In light of what's been on the news of late (another teen committing suicide over the weekend, bullying a major factor), she's the anti-bully in a kind-hearted, savvy teen's body. She may never know, this side of Eternity, the difference she made when she did that. But I'm willing to bet that someone does. (more than just the teacher imho)