Menu

S/O What if you DON'T provide school supplies?

This thread has us wondering -- What happens to people who do not buy the entire list of "required" items for public schools?

• What if a parent conscientiously objects to the Borg mentality , I mean the "collective collection" of most items?
  • What if a parent conscientiously objects to, say (for example), purchasing any items made in China?
  • What if a parent can't afford to purchase all those items for other parents' children (or would simply rather not)?

We are wondering because, if we were not homeschooling, this would likely be us. :glare:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few cases in which the schools don't have enough supplies, so they send home supplemental supply lists in December or January. So the parents who DO send supplies get stuck with a second round. Most schools try to team up with charities to provide supplies for families who don't bring/can't afford supplies so that this isn't an issue, but it does happen.

I know in our town, one can get all fees (music and sports) 100% waived. Backpacks filled with supplies are also available at various places around town, and no proof of income is required.

One just needs to make one call to the principal (and they do not take the month of August off). It's 100% private (well as much as it can be, I suppose). You can get a free instrument rental, a backpack full of supplies, and all sports or extra curric activity fees waived.

The Made in China part would be difficult. I am not sure where one even gets markers, flash drives, polyester sports shorts etc., that are not made in China.

Edited by LibraryLover

At the school my kids went to first they applied for tools for school for the kids. THis is the charity that fills backpacks with supplies for kids who can't afford them. Then the kids still show up with a backpack and supplies (though not the actual list), and they share the communal supplies. For things like fieldtrips and such if you can't pay your child simply can't go, even if it is a fieldtrip meant to completely cover a unit or to bring the topic to life for the kids. As in not the one just for fun but the ones really "needed" for the way the teacher is teaching. Your child is left behind. Luckily it is not paid all at the start of the year, they would send home the permission slip with the letter stating the amount due. Sometimes I could sort of afford it by doing some budget juggling, sometimes I borrowed from my mom so they wouldn't have to be the ones left behind.

Edited by swellmomma

Technically and legally speaking, a public school should not even be asking for anything from parents. Still, they do, and especially in the more well-to-do areas. In poorer schools, the district will provide the very basics, with teachers buying the rest. Depends on the administration.

Right now the ACLU is actually suing several states and/or school districts where students have to purchase books and specialized material, like graphing calculators, for advanced classes. The schools in question were placing students who could not provide the money for the additional materials out of the class until they did, or for good.

Technically and legally speaking, a public school should not even be asking for anything from parents. Still, they do, and especially in the more well-to-do areas. In poorer schools, the district will provide the very basics, with teachers buying the rest. Depends on the administration.

Right now the ACLU is actually suing several states and/or school districts where students have to purchase books and specialized material, like graphing calculators, for advanced classes. The schools in question were placing students who could not provide the money for the additional materials out of the class until they did, or for good.

Well that sounds promising.

I know in our town, one can get all fees 100% waived.

One just needs to make one call to the principal. It's 100% private (well as much as it can be, I suppose). You can get a free instrument rental, a backpack full of supplies, and all sports or extra curric activity fees waived.

Other then musical instruments our district has the same sort of waivers and many charities group together to provide backpacks full of school supplies for those in need. They have moved away from pooling supplies though and the kids use their own even in lower grades.

Wow, I never thought I'd actually agree with the ACLU. :001_huh: :D

I must admit I am surprised that so many of you are thinking the ps should provide supplies.

As a PTA leader, I have had plenty of first hand knowledge of where these items come from. K's ps last year was not provided ANY materials from the district other than the books and supplies that they already had. Any students/teachers needing supplies received them from us. And by us I mean the parents and community members who are willing to give more.

CA recently passed a law that they may no longer ask students to pay a fee for any class being offered during the regular school day. K is at an arts based magnet school. We had to find a way to buy 40 string instruments with NO HELP from the state, or district. The PTA has always had a program for families who could not afford the $20 to rent one so that no kids would suffer. Her art class used to ask $5 per kid for supplies, and they did everything from ceramics to graphic arts. Once again, if the class came up short the PTA stepped in. It is an awful law IMO. Much bigger fish to fry.

My sister and sister-in-law both teach elementary school. They're out a lot of their own money even with the parents that actually buy supplies. The school can't/doesn't help much and many parents don't send in supplies so it is left to the teachers. My sis is single and has no kids and she spends so much of her own money it's ridiculous but she feels it is necessary.

My older dd will be attending middle school this year and her supplies so far have only been $40. I know she will have more the first week but I don't think it will be a ridiculous amount for a school year.

Moe, it seems that with $5000-ish per kid they could provide supplies. They could probably provide teachers too (where they got the idea that the TEACHERS were expendable, I don't know). And we might try asking for a GOOD education for all.

I choose to just buy the school supplies. I can't imagine not doing so. Thankfully, because it is expected that everyone (here) WILL buy them, the lists this year for this school aren't too bad. I was surprised to see pencils weren't on the list.

I easily spend close to $150 dollars at the beginning of each school year for my classroom. It is hard to justify, however, when someone won't buy a 25 cent box of crayons for homework assignments but can afford to buy their kid an iPod, iPhone, etc. School is for educating!

How funny I said that...

People worry about homeschoolers being socialized, and I'm worried about my ps students being educated. :D

I read the other thread and didn't say anything, but now that there is a second thread devoted to this topic I have to speak up-if you can't afford the supplies, they can't FORCE you to buy them-if districts are somehow able to strong arm parents that truly can't afford them into buying the supplies but then feeding their family top ramen and cheerios for a month that is wrong and the ACLU should be involved. However, if you can afford them, why NOT buy them? Why the anger over whether they are communal supplies or individual? Have you ever seen a room of 20-30 Kindergarteners with individual supplies? It is a madhouse-Mrs. Smith, I can't find my yellow, Johnny took my yellowwwwww." They are trying to cram a year of 1st grade level material into these kids in 3 hours and it would take 20 minutes just to get them all the correct crayons if they all had individual supplies.

Why quibble over brand names on the list? Have you ever used Rose Art crayons or non Fiskars scissors-they stink!

As far as the complaints about the number of pencils or being asked to bring a box of tissues, I have seen these kids go through pencils and tissues, and I can guarantee that basically every child is using that full box of tissues-parents don't have the luxury of keeping a child with the sniffles home when they will miss so much instruction and the truant officer will be on their doorstep fining them for too many days missed. It sounds ridiculous to type it out (no wonder I am on a homeschooling board ;) ) but really, if you are sending your kids to public school and can afford it, buy the supplies, grit your teeth and be glad you can support your child's education.

At both of the schools (1 high school, one middle school) I taught in, the children were punished for not bringing in the requested supplies. The first class in each grade to bring in all their supplies got a pizza party. After the first week, kids who don't bring their supplies get detention. We were expected to "grade" based on getting the supplies in...so you got a 100 if you brought them in by X date, a 90 if you brought them in by Y date, etc. At the end of the first 3-week period, children who still hadn't brought in their school supplies got a 50. After that, I guess they assumed you didn't have a chance of getting them because they stopped punishing for it.

They had the same rules for buying the school agenda each year.

I've only bought 2 boxes of crayons for each of my children for their entire lives! HOW some schools need the things on those lists is BEYOND me! Do we really need a new box of crayons every year? And that much glue?! wondering if they're spending all day with construction paper and scissors! Is that really time well spent?

I think a lot of the stuff on the lists is extravagant and wasteful. I sent a child to school not too long ago (for a year). I bought him what was requested on his school list. Most of it didn't get used. Packages of index cards not even touched. Teachers changed their minds about the required type of composition book two weeks after all the supplies were in. What did get used was used WAY inefficiently (a 5-subject notebook was required but only two sections got used and only partly at that). Several of the kids threw away whatever they had left at the end of the year (even scissors)! The waste was sad!

We use WAY less at our home. I don't spend any time trying to be efficient, but it happens naturally when you only buy what you use and use what you buy.

At both of the schools (1 high school, one middle school) I taught in, the children were punished for not bringing in the requested supplies. The first class in each grade to bring in all their supplies got a pizza party. After the first week, kids who don't bring their supplies get detention. We were expected to "grade" based on getting the supplies in...so you got a 100 if you brought them in by X date, a 90 if you brought them in by Y date, etc. At the end of the first 3-week period, children who still hadn't brought in their school supplies got a 50. After that, I guess they assumed you didn't have a chance of getting them because they stopped punishing for it.

:confused: craziness

This is true. My mother always did.

When I was teaching the school gave each teacher a certain amount of money to spend on supplies for the year. (I think this is common.) I bought construction paper in bulk, some math practice CDroms for the kids to use during their math review/game time, white board markers, tissues, loose leaf, rulers, a stapler with staples, glue, scissors, and fancy pencils. These things belonged to the classroom. The kids didn't take them home (except for the pencils -- I let those go). They didn't get wasted. What was left was used the next year. The only thing the kids' parents had to get was spiral notebooks, pencils, and pens. The school gave each child a planner/homework assignment book.

:blink: and they were never sued?

This is true. My mother always did.

So did I. So does my husband. We've never added it all up, but I spent a LOT back when I taught elementary.

He teaches high school math. His students need graphing calculators. He arranges for a 10% off deal at a nearby office-supply store, so that helps a bit (a tiny bit).

He also realizes, however, that many families can't or won't purchase them. So, he has his own private and personal collection of graphing calculators that kids can check out.

Teachers have kids, too. We know that the supply lists can be enormous. I think most people -- parents and teachers alike -- are doing the best they can.

Just curious... (and trying to avoid a snarky tone...) ...if you were a teacher and the school district didn't provide much other than paper and pencils, what would you do?

When my dsd was in ps it would affect her grades if she didn't bring everything on the list. Some teachers gave extra credit, some teachers docked a grade, some teachers wouldn't allow the child to participate in "fun" stuff.

It's really disgusting.

I hear you! My daughters school tried to give her a 0 for not dressing out at PE. She had the right colors but they didn't have school name on them. I went to the school board. They also wait until the first day then gave her another supply list for their class. It is really is crummy.

:blink: and they were never sued?

Nope. They were both low-income areas too with a high number of illegal immigrants. (I mention this only because I think this was a big part of why they got away without more parents throwing a fit over it. They were too scared to put up a fuss.)

I can't tell you how many student planners I bought when I was a teacher and just handed out because I knew the families couldn't afford the $7....especially when they had 4, 5, or 6 children and all had to have a planner. And I refused to give a student a 50 for being poor so I bought extras of things during back to school sales and filled in the gaps so it looked to my principals like all of my students had turned in their supplies.

That is cruel, especially since kids may not have any control over if their parents are buying them their stuff or not. I imagine you were not the only teacher buying the supplies to spare the kids a failing grade. But it is not fair for teachers like you to have to pay out of low salaries for supplies either. What a mess.

Edited by kijipt

I have heard that this is why they have so much on the lists. They assume that half the parents wont/can't buy the supplies.

This is what I have been told by teachers here. The thing is, though, there are a lot of kids whose parents cannot afford that list, and they are made to feel like dirt for it. The teachers have nothing but scorn for those "parents who don't even care enough to send supplies" and they send nasty notes. I have witnessed ridicule, not only of the parents, but of the kids who cannot buy all the supplies. I think they have created a vicious little circle of snobbery around the school supply issue here.

I really hate it. It is a bunch of petty little people who make themselves feel better by making poor/poorer people feel worthless. Sometimes, I just want to shake them and scream "who the $#%! do you think you are?! You're no special princess! You live in the exact same backwater hick town as we all do!"

But, I don't say that. When I hear that kind of trashy-talking, I usually just say "bless your gracious and charitable little heart, darlin'!" Then, fling a little hex over my shoulder as I walk away. :angry:

In our town the school supply list is by grade. If teacher x wants 2 green folders then it makes the list. If teacher y doesn't need them you are never told. They just make their way home at the end of the year unused.

Ditto, the pp who said the others would have to make up the difference. I have helped in the classroom and been a part of PTA. What the school provides is miniscule compared to what PTA provides. We even raised the $ to purchase the playground equipment.

Moe, it seems that with $5000-ish per kid they could provide supplies. They could probably provide teachers too (where they got the idea that the TEACHERS were expendable, I don't know). And we might try asking for a GOOD education for all.

:iagree: Only the expenditure per student in this state is over $10,000.

I must admit I am surprised that so many of you are thinking the ps should provide supplies.

As a PTA leader, I have had plenty of first hand knowledge of where these items come from. K's ps last year was not provided ANY materials from the district other than the books and supplies that they already had. Any students/teachers needing supplies received them from us. And by us I mean the parents and community members who are willing to give more.

CA recently passed a law that they may no longer ask students to pay a fee for any class being offered during the regular school day. K is at an arts based magnet school. We had to find a way to buy 40 string instruments with NO HELP from the state, or district. The PTA has always had a program for families who could not afford the $20 to rent one so that no kids would suffer. Her art class used to ask $5 per kid for supplies, and they did everything from ceramics to graphic arts. Once again, if the class came up short the PTA stepped in. It is an awful law IMO. Much bigger fish to fry.

The per pupil spending in my school district is almost $15,000. For that amount of money, I really do think the schools should be providing the teachers with everything they need to run their classrooms.

I remember when I was in elementary school, the supplies needed were very basic. Pencils, crayons, maybe a protractor and a compass as time went on. The school certainly supplied things like tissues, soap, and chalk!

It seems to me that asking parents to pay for these things is a way of correcting for dysfunction in the administration of the school system. If the school system genuinely cannot afford to buy teachers the supplies needed, then perhaps the school system needs to find ways to reduce costs. Either that, or we need higher taxes. Part of the point of public education is that we all pay for it, not just those parents who have kids currently attending the school.

Just curious... (and trying to avoid a snarky tone...) ...if you were a teacher and the school district didn't provide much other than paper and pencils, what would you do?

Dh made his own resources, which took weeks per year and he wasn't paid for. He and everyone else who makes/buys extra for their classes take them when they move jobs. Schools have wised up to that and do their best to make teachers leave behind their resources, but people will leave their basics and keep their better secrets.

Rosie

CA recently passed a law that they may no longer ask students to pay a fee for any class being offered during the regular school day. K is at an arts based magnet school. We had to find a way to buy 40 string instruments with NO HELP from the state, or district. The PTA has always had a program for families who could not afford the $20 to rent one so that no kids would suffer. Her art class used to ask $5 per kid for supplies, and they did everything from

ceramics to graphic arts. Once again, if the class came up short the PTA stepped in. It is an awful law IMO. Much bigger fish to fry.

I don't have an issue buying supplies. But I do have an issue with why ever it is that some schools are now so strapped that the parents are buying copy paper and soap and bandaids. I don't even mind the communal thing in the lower grades but I do wish I could get the things, like scissors and folders that are totally reusable back at the end of the year or at the very least that they would keep them and reuse them. Instead it is common place for them to be thrown out apparently. That is wasteful.

You won't get any arguments from me on brands though, I totally understand why the lists specify brands. RoseArt crayons are terrible. ;)

When I would buy the supplies I only bought what I knew she would use. My child never used post it notes-yet I was asked to buy several of them.

No thanks.

I would buy the basics and then through out the year she would come home with a note saying she needed "x" for a project or something or she ran her markers dry and I would buy replacements.

I had a fit about the communal supplies when I walked into my son's K class (right before we pulled him) and he was using a chewed up pencil. I asked him if he had done that. He said no that the kid across the table had the day before. My son was left with the chewed up pencil because it was put back into the communal supplies. He is my child that easily gets sick. I don't want him using pencils some other child has had in their mouth. Thankfully that won't ever be an issue again because even now he is adamant that he never wants to go back. If you ask him why he will tell you because he was always sick and bored.

I It is a madhouse-Mrs. Smith, I can't find my yellow, Johnny took my yellowwwwww." They are trying to cram a year of 1st grade level material into these kids in 3 hours and it would take 20 minutes just to get them all the correct crayons if they all had individual supplies.

Perhaps humans have devolved, but back in the Kennedy era, when I was in early grade school, we each had our own supplies in our own little desk and I never recall ONE problem about a lost whatever. You used them at your desk and they were put away when you were done.

Heh, that's what I thought, too.

Like:

Opposing a public library's blockage of pro-gun websites for patrons utilizing the library's computers?

Supporting the right of a ps student to have a copy of the 10 commandments posted on his gym locker?

What are these boards coming to? :D

What I always did was send what my kid needed. With their name in sharpie prominently displayed. I also would send folders and paper with the used pages tossed. Last year's crayons too. I did not send the 16 other glue sticks or whatever. Nothing happened. It's a small community. They knew me ;). I did have to buy the PE shirt but I won on the shorts and the mandatory jacket rule. They were probably having a party when I withdrew my kids. It's the elementary and MS that's the problem here. No supply list for high school.

Edited by joyofsix

Perhaps humans have devolved, but back in the Kennedy era, when I was in early grade school, we each had our own supplies in our own little desk and I never recall ONE problem about a lost whatever. You used them at your desk and they were put away when you were done.

Where is the like button?

This was back in the day when children were actually taught responsibility. Now, if you tear something up or lose it, there is always more. No need to take care of or keep up with anything.

I read the other thread and didn't say anything, but now that there is a second thread devoted to this topic I have to speak up-if you can't afford the supplies, they can't FORCE you to buy them-if districts are somehow able to strong arm parents that truly can't afford them into buying the supplies but then feeding their family top ramen and cheerios for a month that is wrong and the ACLU should be involved. However, if you can afford them, why NOT buy them? Why the anger over whether they are communal supplies or individual? Have you ever seen a room of 20-30 Kindergarteners with individual supplies? It is a madhouse-Mrs. Smith, I can't find my yellow, Johnny took my yellowwwwww." They are trying to cram a year of 1st grade level material into these kids in 3 hours and it would take 20 minutes just to get them all the correct crayons if they all had individual supplies.

Why quibble over brand names on the list? Have you ever used Rose Art crayons or non Fiskars scissors-they stink!

As far as the complaints about the number of pencils or being asked to bring a box of tissues, I have seen these kids go through pencils and tissues, and I can guarantee that basically every child is using that full box of tissues-parents don't have the luxury of keeping a child with the sniffles home when they will miss so much instruction and the truant officer will be on their doorstep fining them for too many days missed. It sounds ridiculous to type it out (no wonder I am on a homeschooling board ;) ) but really, if you are sending your kids to public school and can afford it, buy the supplies, grit your teeth and be glad you can support your child's education.

I think the anger comes over the abuse of this system in some areas. My sister is a single mother and every week is a struggle to make ends meet. She has 3 children and has to spend over $200 each year in school supplies. Last year, she was asked to send things in like a lamp and a wastebasket as well as the usual stuff. She feels compelled to send these things in even though she can't afford it because she is afraid the teachers will take it out on her kids if she doesn't. Plus, there is a lot of pressure on the kids to bring in the supplies. Sorry, but it just isn't right.

When I was growing up, we brought in a very minimal amount of supplies and my name was put on my crayons and things and there was no chaos or problem created by that.

I don't think teachers should have to spend their own money to on these things. I think the school should supply them. If they can't (or won't), they should send out a reasonable list of what each student actually needs for their own use. I would think a box of crayons or colored pencils, some glue, scissors, paper, pencils, a ruler and a box of tissues for the classroom should more than suffice in the early years.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

So did I. So does my husband. We've never added it all up, but I spent a LOT back when I taught elementary.

He teaches high school math. His students need graphing calculators. He arranges for a 10% off deal at a nearby office-supply store, so that helps a bit (a tiny bit).

He also realizes, however, that many families can't or won't purchase them. So, he has his own private and personal collection of graphing calculators that kids can check out.

Teachers have kids, too. We know that the supply lists can be enormous. I think most people -- parents and teachers alike -- are doing the best they can.

As each child to bring in a reasonable amount of supplies need for his or her own use and maybe one communal item, such as tissues.

Lisa